'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Justin  (Read 192939 times)

Clam Crowder

• All American
Re: Justin
« Reply #500 on: April 21, 2022, 12:16:43 PM »
The more I think about all of this I am concerned as well but I think Shaka has made his priority clear. He will focus *mostly* on 4 year guys that will have loyalty and will grow and develop within MU. Will there be transfers out if a guy that is borderline top 100 blows up his first year, sure...But I think in this new way of doing things it will be a rarity for MU to land top 50 guys...to land top transfer targets. Schools like UK/UNC/Duke were already doing this prior to it even being allowed...Now that it is allowed that only going to grow. Talent evaluation will be critical and Shaka has a tremendous track record there.

Wrightsil...I am not at all excited about currently TBH but if he ends up being a stud its just going to validate Shaka as a talent evaluator and make me alot more optimistic about MU's ability to thrive and survive with NIL and free agency.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #501 on: April 21, 2022, 12:20:47 PM »
I fvcking hope we’re not losing recruits because of Twitter or Instagram “love”

Also, I haven’t seen anything to suggest Marquette or the alumni base is winning to step up with NIL money. Consider me in the concerned camp when it comes to MU’s NIL ability vs other schools

I can't say 100% that we are losing them for that reason, but I can say with 100% certainty that it was a concern of the previous staff. No doubt, I am not saying this as an opinion. And if Wojo and his assistants were running into issues because of it, I have no doubt it is something the current staff would like to see improved upon but because of Marquette's 2000s era approach to social media, it isn't happening.

I have seen things to indicate the alumni base is willing to step up. At least alumni that matter. But how quickly it happens and how organized it is are the main questions I have. This is something we need in place yesterday, but typically Marquette likes to sit on their hands for years and years and years and years before they start thinking about making a move, so paint me pessimistic that the Athletic Department/University side will do their part.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #502 on: April 21, 2022, 12:41:16 PM »
I thought rule #1 was don't tweet at 'cruits?

I remember there was some super cringe tweet of a video of a 7 year old girl saying that Dawson should go to I4 because it would make her dad happy, that got shared here. 

I have no doubt that the schools social media presence could improve, but shouldn't the general rule of thumb be that Shaka and the staff does the recruiting?  If you're going to pony up a NIL offer for the player then sure, but otherwise, just leave it to the people whose job it is to recruit players.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #503 on: April 21, 2022, 12:48:00 PM »
I can't say 100% that we are losing them for that reason, but I can say with 100% certainty that it was a concern of the previous staff. No doubt, I am not saying this as an opinion.

Seems like Wojo is even a bigger loser then I thought. Blaming losing recruits on Twitter or Instagram?

What a joke! That guy was the king of excuses
Bring back FFP!!!

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #504 on: April 21, 2022, 12:58:54 PM »
Not enough athletes blame the Lord when things go poorly, if you ask me.

"The kick was perfect, but Jesus pushed it into the upright."

That’s my go to in my golf game. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #505 on: April 21, 2022, 01:07:57 PM »
Didn't Jesus make Russell Wilson throw 4 picks in an NFC Championship game?

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #506 on: April 21, 2022, 01:08:55 PM »
I'm not sure about that but I believe he is the reason the Bears hired Nagy.
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #507 on: April 21, 2022, 01:11:19 PM »
Seems like Wojo is even a bigger loser then I thought. Blaming losing recruits on Twitter or Instagram?

Should have worried about keeping track of the score instead of worrying about losing recruits on Twitter and Instagram, a’ina?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #508 on: April 21, 2022, 01:14:34 PM »
Didn't Jesus make Russell Wilson throw 4 picks in an NFC Championship game?

Jesus is a weird dude when it comes to deciding sporting events
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #509 on: April 21, 2022, 01:27:08 PM »
I thought rule #1 was don't tweet at 'cruits?

That's MARQUETTE's number one rule. Which has been enforced from Marquette's athletic administration for 10-15 years and I don't know of any other fanbase doing the same. Should the staff do the recruiting? Yes. But when you are a 17-year-old kid that is suddenly getting attention from the Muss Bus, or rabid Illinois fans, or whomever, it makes you feel wanted. So when Marquette's social media types are silent, that speaks just as many volumes as the tweets from other fanbases.

These are young athletes that have been raised in a society fueled by engagement. Then when Marquette's fanbase doesn't engage and everyone else does, we're supposed to look down our noses at those fanbases and the kids that care about the exact things the world society has built tells them are important? I often hear complaints about how the lower level sections at the Fiserv (aside from the students) tend to sit on their hands all game long. I'm not sure they are wrong, and we are the same on social media.

Personally, I still don't tweet at recruits. I do think there's some creep factor to it. But if there were 15-20 students that decided to make it a priority to interact with prospective recruits, to encourage them and show them Marquette has a passionate fanbase, I think that would be good for the program. We can look down at it all we want, I'm sure our sanctimony will really be effective when kids are committing elsewhere.

It wasn't Wojo, but interacting with recruits does have an impact. Especially those top tier recruits who are used to getting hundreds or thousands of views, likes, retweets, and interactions with everything they post. Personally, when I do a good job at something, I'm not one to overly toot my own horn, but I do remember the people that recognize the work I did. And I appreciate their appreciation. And when I do something well and someone ignores that work or forgets about it, it can be just as strong a statement. That's what this is.

There are different ways to do this, and I hate seeing fanbases turn when a recruit goes elsewhere (so you have to avoid the negative stuff, maybe having one person controlling 20-30 bot accounts is better), but Marquette's staunch refusal to move fast and break things was a mistake in the past, has hurt us in the past, and will continue to hurt us in the future if we approach NIL the same way.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #510 on: April 21, 2022, 01:28:01 PM »

My thoughts exactly.

As it relates to NIL - Kids should get paid.  However, a great solution would have been to take 10-20% of the total payroll of the coaching staff at schools and require that be kicked into an annuity fund for players.  All scholarship players would then share equally in that income and be able to tap it after the age of 35.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #511 on: April 21, 2022, 01:32:15 PM »
Right about what? What I've said is NIL was inevitable, and a positive step to compensate the athletes who make college sports possible. And that it won't be a "disaster" for college basketball.

Kentucky, Kansas, UNC, etc, already had a significant advantage over Marquette, and an enormous advantage over mid-major and low-major schools. They will continue to have a significant advantage.

What I'm optimistic about is that Marquette will come up with creative ways to help our athletes financially, and that our basketball coach will justify the confidence the university has shown in him by attracting, retaining and coaching up outstanding players.

Your last paragraph is what I’m talking about.  I hope your optimism is well founded.

I’ll need to see it before I believe it.   The theory could be tested immediately if Lewis somehow decides to go back to college.  Will he transfer for $$$ or do “relationships” matter?  We shall see. 

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #512 on: April 21, 2022, 01:41:41 PM »
That's MARQUETTE's number one rule. Which has been enforced from Marquette's athletic administration for 10-15 years and I don't know of any other fanbase doing the same. Should the staff do the recruiting? Yes. But when you are a 17-year-old kid that is suddenly getting attention from the Muss Bus, or rabid Illinois fans, or whomever, it makes you feel wanted. So when Marquette's social media types are silent, that speaks just as many volumes as the tweets from other fanbases.

These are young athletes that have been raised in a society fueled by engagement. Then when Marquette's fanbase doesn't engage and everyone else does, we're supposed to look down our noses at those fanbases and the kids that care about the exact things the world society has built tells them are important? I often hear complaints about how the lower level sections at the Fiserv (aside from the students) tend to sit on their hands all game long. I'm not sure they are wrong, and we are the same on social media.

Personally, I still don't tweet at recruits. I do think there's some creep factor to it. But if there were 15-20 students that decided to make it a priority to interact with prospective recruits, to encourage them and show them Marquette has a passionate fanbase, I think that would be good for the program. We can look down at it all we want, I'm sure our sanctimony will really be effective when kids are committing elsewhere.

It wasn't Wojo, but interacting with recruits does have an impact. Especially those top tier recruits who are used to getting hundreds or thousands of views, likes, retweets, and interactions with everything they post. Personally, when I do a good job at something, I'm not one to overly toot my own horn, but I do remember the people that recognize the work I did. And I appreciate their appreciation. And when I do something well and someone ignores that work or forgets about it, it can be just as strong a statement. That's what this is.

There are different ways to do this, and I hate seeing fanbases turn when a recruit goes elsewhere (so you have to avoid the negative stuff, maybe having one person controlling 20-30 bot accounts is better), but Marquette's staunch refusal to move fast and break things was a mistake in the past, has hurt us in the past, and will continue to hurt us in the future if we approach NIL the same way.

When you say "Marquette's social media types", who are you referring to? If it's tweets from me, you and other random old people, I don't think they have an effect one way or another.  If its from people officially associated with the University; i.e. getting former MU players currently affiliated with the NBA (although I would have to imagine that might be a recruiting violation) current or even recently graduated students, then maybe I could buy it. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #513 on: April 21, 2022, 01:46:03 PM »
There are recruits who love getting hundreds/thousands of replies from fans when they post something (anything) on social media). There are recruits that are creeped out by it. There are recruits who don't give two squirts either way.

Marquette will be fine in NIL. They'll be behind the blue bloods as they have always been and a few other rando schools that find a way to pony up big (saw Miami-FL offered Nijel Pack $600K to transfer there), but we'll be in the next tier and competitive with or better than the majority of high major schools. And while buying talent helps, it is not the only way to win.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #514 on: April 21, 2022, 01:58:33 PM »
There are recruits who love getting hundreds/thousands of replies from fans when they post something (anything) on social media). There are recruits that are creeped out by it. There are recruits who don't give two squirts either way.

Marquette will be fine in NIL. They'll be behind the blue bloods as they have always been and a few other rando schools that find a way to pony up big (saw Miami-FL offered Nijel Pack $600K to transfer there), but we'll be in the next tier and competitive with or better than the majority of high major schools. And while buying talent helps, it is not the only way to win.

TAMU,

You could be right.  But MU has had some unheralded recruits turn out to be pretty damn good over the last 20 years and I hate to think what some of them would have done after their 1st or 2nd years with NIL and immediate transfer.

Wade, Butler, Crowder, Deiner, Novak,Markus, etc. MU has to be ready to step up or they will not even have the success we have seen in the last 20 years and for many people that isn’t even considered real success. 

Come on MU NIL department/fundraisers/organizers/what ever you want to call them!  Get the job done!

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #515 on: April 21, 2022, 02:04:42 PM »

Does he still get a scholarship? If so is that counted as taxable income?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #516 on: April 21, 2022, 02:05:38 PM »
Scholarships up to the cost of attendance are tax-exempt regardless of income level.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #517 on: April 21, 2022, 02:08:10 PM »
Does he still get a scholarship? If so is that counted as taxable income?

Yes he still gets the scholarship. The scholarship is not taxable.  The $600K is taxable
TAMU

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #518 on: April 21, 2022, 02:09:28 PM »
TAMU,

You could be right.  But MU has had some unheralded recruits turn out to be pretty damn good over the last 20 years and I hate to think what some of them would have done after their 1st or 2nd years with NIL and immediate transfer.

Wade, Butler, Crowder, Deiner, Novak,Markus, etc. MU has to be ready to step up or they will not even have the success we have seen in the last 20 years and for many people that isn’t even considered real success. 

Come on MU NIL department/fundraisers/organizers/what ever you want to call them!  Get the job done!

I think that's why it was wise to hire a coach like Shaka. I think most years we will retain our best players.
TAMU

Goose

• All American
« Reply #519 on: April 21, 2022, 02:25:04 PM »
The way I see it, Shaka will build a team via 2,3 and 4-year guys and develop them on a year over year basis. IMO, these are the type of guys that are not going to need break the bank money and $100-300k could change their lives. If you have a breakout recruit come in, if the program is successful, having a high priced free agent for a year or two likely can be handled.

IMO, the one downside to the NIL for the players is I can see schools cut bait on poor performing guys quickly. The last thing a program needs is an overpaid, underperforming player. I believe the free agent market is going to get far crazier a year from now and programs that have stability will do very well.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #520 on: April 21, 2022, 02:34:27 PM »
I think that's why it was wise to hire a coach like Shaka. I think most years we will retain our best players.

$600k-$2 million says otherwise.  He may be able to hold on to the average college player just happy to get a free education and play college bball.  The goal is to be elite again.  Holding on to future pros that will develop under him and lead us to an occasional final four will be the test.  Hopefully he is good at hypnotizing players (“look into my eyes, money is bad, relationships are good”).

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #521 on: April 21, 2022, 02:46:32 PM »
$600k-$2 million says otherwise.  He may be able to hold on to the average college player just happy to get a free education and play college bball.  The goal is to be elite again.  Holding on to future pros that will develop under him and lead us to an occasional final four will be the test.  Hopefully he is good at hypnotizing players (“look into my eyes, money is bad, relationships are good”).

I think most of the offers come after a player expresses a desire to look elsewhere. I think Shaka will be good about keeping them here.

The 600K offers are rare. I don't think our guys will be targeted very often
TAMU

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #522 on: April 21, 2022, 02:50:18 PM »

I call B.S. on stating Miami offered Nijel Pack 600K to transfer there. That is in direct violation of Florida law.

Florida statute:
An intercollegiate athlete at a postsecondary educational institution may earn compensation for the use of her or his name, image, or likeness. Such compensation must be commensurate with the market value of the authorized use of the athlete’s name, image, or likeness. To preserve the integrity, quality, character, and amateur nature of intercollegiate athletics and to maintain a clear separation between amateur intercollegiate athletics and professional sports, such compensation may not be provided in exchange for athletic performance or attendance at a particular institution and may only be provided by a third party unaffiliated with the intercollegiate athlete’s postsecondary educational institution.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #523 on: April 21, 2022, 03:01:08 PM »
We're doomed.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Viper

• All American
« Reply #524 on: April 21, 2022, 03:09:41 PM »
TAMU,

Come on MU NIL department/fundraisers/organizers/what ever you want to call them! Get the job done!
how many gum drops you tossin’ in?