[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Justin  (Read 192907 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Justin
« Reply #475 on: April 20, 2022, 09:36:15 PM »
We may have to find some auxiliary cash or work harder to compete.
Muggsy, our company has some locations that are in college sports crazy markets . We have participated in some NIL in Big Ten and Big Twelve . The dollars have been inconsequential , although meaningful to the players .

MU has one advantage , in that there is no football team to feed . MU can pool it’s resources behind a handful of basketball players .

Also for whatever it’s worth, in year one we have now lost some of the players we sponsored to other programs with bigger NIL dollars . However we are replacing the lost players with transfers who have more promise, but haven’t totally proved themselves.

I think this is the new normal.

The premium in college basketball is going to be for coaches who can identify talent that they can develop and then do well in game coaching that talent . I think that is where Shaka is positioned on the coaching spectrum .
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 07:50:41 AM by Herman Cain »
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #476 on: April 20, 2022, 09:58:05 PM »
Muggsy, our company has some locations that are in college sports crazy markets . We have participated in some NIL in Big Ten and Big Twelve . The dollars have been inconsequential , although meaningful to the players .

MU has one advantage , in that their is no football team to feed . MU can pool it’s resources behind a handful of basketball players .

Also for whatever it’s worth, in year one we have now lost some of the players we sponsored to other programs with bigger NIL dollars . However we are replacing the lost players with transfers who have more promise, but haven’t totally proved themselves.

I think this is the new normal.

The premium in college basketball is going to be for coaches who can identify talent that they can develop and then do well in game coaching that talent . I think that is where Shaka is positioned on the coaching spectrum .

I coud like the system if MU is  a big player.  If they can't I will be quite upset Herman.  I'm just concerned we don't have the coin.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #477 on: April 20, 2022, 10:11:55 PM »
I don't think bidding for players is good for the sport.  As far as I know there is no NIL limit.  My concern is not only will the sane schools with huge money get the best players but the product will be considerably worse if they're paid.

The product will be considerably worse if they're paid? I've also found that people perform better if they are well-compensated. Are college athletes not human?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #478 on: April 20, 2022, 10:26:20 PM »
TAMU

What is your take on the NIL program, big picture?

Great news for the sport. More talent staying in college. Short term there will be some coaches who will be rotated out because they can't or don't want to figure out the new landscape. I agree with you that this will allow the legitimate donors to enter the marketplace and compete with the dirty money that has always existed at many programs.

More importantly, it was the right, ethical, and capitalist thing to do!
TAMU

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #479 on: April 20, 2022, 10:42:18 PM »
The product will be considerably worse if they're paid? I've also found that people perform better if they are well-compensated. Are college athletes not human?

I hope you're right TAMU but I have my concerns.  I'm afraid the hunger won't be there as much if everyone is getting paid.  It could also lead to resentment if a player is not producing with a higher pay check. 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 11:25:05 PM by MuggsyB »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #480 on: April 20, 2022, 11:07:09 PM »
I hope you're right TAMU but I have my concerns.  I'm afraid the hunger won't be there as much if everyone is getting paid.  IIt could also lead to resentment if a player is not producing with a higher pay check.

So what happens between college and the pros where suddenly this isn't an issue anymore? Why does it only affect college athletes?
TAMU

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #481 on: April 20, 2022, 11:28:33 PM »
So what happens between college and the pros where suddenly this isn't an issue anymore? Why does it only affect college athletes?

I don't think thr pros play as hard until the playoffs.  They're obviously way more talented but the tenacity is spotty.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #482 on: April 20, 2022, 11:54:11 PM »
I don't think thr pros play as hard until the playoffs.  They're obviously way more talented but the tenacity is spotty.

You must be watching different pro sports than me
TAMU

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #483 on: April 21, 2022, 12:42:38 AM »
Yes players were paid to come to MU from New York, fact

Life changing money?  Probably not.  Get a car money probably. 

And I guess that’s my point.  2 mil is life changing money (obviously if invested the right way).  A sandwich deal near Fiserv is not.  Will our donors step up?  Hopefully.  I want you, TAMU, goose, 82 and others to be right.  Hopefully your optimism is well founded. 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 12:46:52 AM by Shooter McGavin »

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #484 on: April 21, 2022, 07:38:01 AM »
Newsie

Far bigger fish than Marcus, but he can join the party.
Obviously, but probably the most famous and does have the coin. Would be good PR for the MU NIL.
Goal is National Championship

panda

• All American
« Reply #485 on: April 21, 2022, 08:17:08 AM »
I’m not sure why some think alums need to be involved. Marquette should (or already has) Hire/start an NIL marketing agency and work to find deals for all of their players across various advertising segments across the country.

Heck the lowest and most easily attainable should be hooking our guys up with some instagram ads. Anyone with a decent social media following can do a deal there.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #486 on: April 21, 2022, 08:53:51 AM »
I want you, TAMU, goose, 82 and others to be right.  Hopefully your optimism is well founded.

Right about what? What I've said is NIL was inevitable, and a positive step to compensate the athletes who make college sports possible. And that it won't be a "disaster" for college basketball.

Kentucky, Kansas, UNC, etc, already had a significant advantage over Marquette, and an enormous advantage over mid-major and low-major schools. They will continue to have a significant advantage.

What I'm optimistic about is that Marquette will come up with creative ways to help our athletes financially, and that our basketball coach will justify the confidence the university has shown in him by attracting, retaining and coaching up outstanding players.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #487 on: April 21, 2022, 08:54:40 AM »
I’m not sure why some think alums need to be involved. Marquette should (or already has) Hire/start an NIL marketing agency and work to find deals for all of their players across various advertising segments across the country.

Heck the lowest and most easily attainable should be hooking our guys up with some instagram ads. Anyone with a decent social media following can do a deal there.

The reason is because while $250 here or $1,000 there is nice, the goal should be to create a significant floor for our scholarship players. The "if you come to Marquette, we will start you here and you can build on that" model. The smartest thing to do right now is move fast and break things.

The problem is Marquette doesn't typically go this route and seems to think waiting to see how things shake out before taking action is best. It's why recruits don't feel the same "love" on social media as they do from other fanbases; our administration made it clear while the NCAA was still figuring out social media rules that fans shouldn't tweet/respond/interact with recruits. Meanwhile, we're losing recruits to Illinois, Arkansas, and other programs whose fanbases deluge recruits with attention. The Muss Bus is a social media phenomenon and works while Marquette is still tut-tutting the method a decade after the NCAA made it clear they weren't going to do a damn thing.

The same applies now. If we want to succeed, we need to be at the front of this, getting our players paid as much as we can as fast as we can. Because if we wait, like we so often do, it will be too late by the time we decide to play the game.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #488 on: April 21, 2022, 09:34:36 AM »
I hope you're right TAMU but I have my concerns.  I'm afraid the hunger won't be there as much if everyone is getting paid.  It could also lead to resentment if a player is not producing with a higher pay check. 

Same arguments were used back in the day when free agency came to professional sports.  They didn't hold out then.

What???
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 09:36:13 AM by Clarissa »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #489 on: April 21, 2022, 09:46:53 AM »
panda

I agree that MU can solicit NIL from avenues outside of alums, but I would think starting close to home is how you build a foundation. I think the key thing for MU is that they only have support basketball via NIL and not football and basketball. As confident as I am as Shaka being the right guy, I more confident that MU will be successful in NIL game.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #490 on: April 21, 2022, 09:56:06 AM »
So are the after game interviews going to be like Nascar now.  I'd like to thank the Ford, M&M, GoDaddy, yada yada yada
Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #491 on: April 21, 2022, 10:01:22 AM »
Wondering how soon it will take MU to set up a meet and greet with the players, charging for admittance, autographs, photos.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #492 on: April 21, 2022, 10:20:35 AM »
So are the after game interviews going to be like Nascar now.  I'd like to thank the Ford, M&M, GoDaddy, yada yada yada

Same banal word salad as thanking the lord and savior or wouldn't be here without my teammates or kept our head down and played "insert team here" basketball.

Might as well get paid for spouting bullcrap.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #493 on: April 21, 2022, 10:34:53 AM »
Same banal word salad as thanking the lord and savior or wouldn't be here without my teammates or kept our head down and played "insert team here" basketball.

Might as well get paid for spouting bullcrap.
Thanking the Lord is bullcrap?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #494 on: April 21, 2022, 10:38:30 AM »
Listening to people constantly thanking the Lord during post-game interviews is annoying.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

panda

• All American
« Reply #495 on: April 21, 2022, 10:47:48 AM »
panda

I agree that MU can solicit NIL from avenues outside of alums, but I would think starting close to home is how you build a foundation. I think the key thing for MU is that they only have support basketball via NIL and not football and basketball. As confident as I am as Shaka being the right guy, I more confident that MU will be successful in NIL game.

Totally agree and I hope Marquette casts the same wide net we believe in. Marquette alum NIL deals are great but money is green wherever it comes from.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #496 on: April 21, 2022, 10:58:43 AM »
Listening to people constantly thanking the Lord during post-game interviews is annoying.
I don't ever recall people "constantly thanking the Lord" during interviews. Usually the interviewee thanks the Lord once, then moves on. It's your prerogative to get annoyed, I guess. Sounds like a trivial thing to be annoyed by, IMO. You be you.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #497 on: April 21, 2022, 11:00:21 AM »
The reason is because while $250 here or $1,000 there is nice, the goal should be to create a significant floor for our scholarship players. The "if you come to Marquette, we will start you here and you can build on that" model. The smartest thing to do right now is move fast and break things.

The problem is Marquette doesn't typically go this route and seems to think waiting to see how things shake out before taking action is best. It's why recruits don't feel the same "love" on social media as they do from other fanbases; our administration made it clear while the NCAA was still figuring out social media rules that fans shouldn't tweet/respond/interact with recruits. Meanwhile, we're losing recruits to Illinois, Arkansas, and other programs whose fanbases deluge recruits with attention. The Muss Bus is a social media phenomenon and works while Marquette is still tut-tutting the method a decade after the NCAA made it clear they weren't going to do a damn thing.

The same applies now. If we want to succeed, we need to be at the front of this, getting our players paid as much as we can as fast as we can. Because if we wait, like we so often do, it will be too late by the time we decide to play the game.

I fvcking hope we’re not losing recruits because of Twitter or Instagram “love”

Also, I haven’t seen anything to suggest Marquette or the alumni base is winning to step up with NIL money. Consider me in the concerned camp when it comes to MU’s NIL ability vs other schools
« Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 11:02:06 AM by swoopem »
Bring back FFP!!!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #498 on: April 21, 2022, 11:18:11 AM »
I don't ever recall people "constantly thanking the Lord" during interviews. Usually the interviewee thanks the Lord once, then moves on. It's your prerogative to get annoyed, I guess. Sounds like a trivial thing to be annoyed by, IMO. You be you.

Not enough athletes blame the Lord when things go poorly, if you ask me.

"The kick was perfect, but Jesus pushed it into the upright."

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #499 on: April 21, 2022, 11:20:01 AM »
Not enough athletes blame the Lord when things go poorly, if you ask me.

"The kick was perfect, but Jesus pushed it into the upright."