[May 02, 2024, 08:58:35 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Justin  (Read 192897 times)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: Justin
« Reply #425 on: April 20, 2022, 03:16:29 PM »
If you are a shoe company, why wouldn't you pay players via NIL to raise their profile at the right place to guarantee they sign with you down the road.

Or an agent for that matter too.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #426 on: April 20, 2022, 03:22:52 PM »
You're high if you don't think the level of program Marquette was, and the profile that they and Al had at the time, wouldn't be able to round up NIL money.

I understand the level they were at in a completely different world and landscape.  You are high if you think he would have been able to recruit that type of athlete to MU at the beginning of his tenure.  He wouldn’t have been able to get it off the ground with other schools offering that kind of money.

Player went to MU for Al.  Players will now go to schools for cash.  Different world now.  Al would have gone where he could win. MU might not have been that place in todays world.

I loved the seventies success as much as anyone.  Don’t let my realism fool you.  When I see MU alums offering millions to players I will be more optimistic.

larrym

• Starter
« Reply #427 on: April 20, 2022, 03:35:56 PM »
Does UK need to come up with a similar amount of cash to pay a player on the women's team?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #428 on: April 20, 2022, 03:37:04 PM »
Does UK need to come up with a similar amount of cash to pay a player on the women's team?
UK can't and doesn't pay this.

wink wink

Goose

• All American
« Reply #429 on: April 20, 2022, 03:40:24 PM »
Shooter

Do you think any MU players in the Al era were on the payroll of any alum owned companies?

Only thing different today from 40 years ago is that Kentucky can advertise how far they are over the salary cap. Kentucky players have been on the payroll for a very, very long time. The fact they are giving $2m really does not mean much to me in the big picture.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #430 on: April 20, 2022, 03:46:32 PM »
Wait a minute....is this actually official?

MuggsyB yes. Official.
VIOLENCE!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #431 on: April 20, 2022, 03:46:54 PM »

No
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #432 on: April 20, 2022, 04:58:36 PM »
Shooter

Do you think any MU players in the Al era were on the payroll of any alum owned companies?

Only thing different today from 40 years ago is that Kentucky can advertise how far they are over the salary cap. Kentucky players have been on the payroll for a very, very long time. The fact they are giving $2m really does not mean much to me in the big picture.

Goose,

If MU was as competitive as you say in this regard at the time, refrigerators would not have been empty.  Full refrigerators would have been the norm and MU would have won one or two more championships because Al was that good.  Some chump change bag money?  Maybe.  Life changing money?  Not a chance.

I think we are overrating our alums and donors willing to pony up.  I hope I’m wrong and you are right.  Believe me I hope the millions start flowing and we have Al like success again.  Only now it will take Al plus tax.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #433 on: April 20, 2022, 05:33:51 PM »
NATIONAL PLAYER OF THE YEAR: Oscar Tschiebwe will return to Kentucky and earn in the neighborhood of $2 Million in NIL money.

That's what teams are up against. NIL is no joke!
Only person that could ever stop Tschiebwe was Bobby Huggins.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #434 on: April 20, 2022, 05:38:28 PM »
MuggsyB yes. Official.

This is a disaster for college hoops.  Do I have to cash out my portfolio or will you and other scoopers take care of this stuff immediately?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #435 on: April 20, 2022, 05:43:50 PM »
This is a disaster for college hoops.  Do I have to cash out my portfolio or will you and other scoopers take care of this stuff immediately?

Ain’t capitalism grand?
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #436 on: April 20, 2022, 05:47:59 PM »
Shooter

First, I do not think Al ran a dirty program, but I 100% believe he ran a creative program. No, Jimmy Chones was far better off going to the ABA midseason than he would have been remaining in school, but he was a unique talent. Two things I think virtually anyone that was around the Al era can agree on is, #1 he truly cared about his players and #2 Al was going to get his fair share every day of the week. If those two points are true, I am confident the two crossed over from time to time. I 100% believe that MU, and Al, did not become a top ten program for a decade simply based off of Al's charm and Hank's X's and O's.

That said, UCLA and Kentucky played in a different level in regard to being creative. I remember vividly Rick telling me about an incoming transfer to Kentucky in the late 70's that was promised a six figure summer job prior to announcing the transfer. Now, maybe he inflated the income, but he did not make the story up. For clarity, I probably asked Rick to repeat that story a half dozen times over a twenty year period and the story did not change.

Kentucky, and other schools, have used wealthy alums to support the program for as long as I have been alive. MU has wealthy alums and always has had wealthy alums, with some enjoying being part of the program. In the NIL world it allows those alums to feel good about their involvement in the program. IMO, you only need the right one or two guys to play the NIL game and maybe MU has one or two of those guys that want to use their money to build a program.

I am not foolish enough to think that MU can compete with every top donor school and they never could, but I do believe there is enough firepower out there to play with almost any school. In addition, lets say $1m is needed to fund the NIL program at MU, I will take my chances of five guys getting $200k a year vs one guy getting $1m over the long haul.

Lastly, if MU, and Shaka, are not going to be in position to compete in the NIL, they wasted a lot of money buying Wojo out and paying Shaka. NIL is now a major part of the game and not being competitive is not an option, if MU wants a top tier program. IMO, if I were Shaka I would be recruiting NIL money as hard as recruiting players. From what I hear, it is virtually impossible not to like Shaka and the energy he brings to the table every day of his life. If that does not bring in NIL money, the program has a long road ahead of them.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #437 on: April 20, 2022, 05:52:39 PM »
Shooter

Yes players were paid to come to MU from New York, fact

Goose

• All American
« Reply #438 on: April 20, 2022, 05:55:11 PM »
BC

As I mentioned on Saturday, I know you know your stuff!!!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #439 on: April 20, 2022, 05:58:30 PM »
Shooter

Most definitely
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #440 on: April 20, 2022, 06:01:23 PM »
Fluff

We have agreed on two points over the past week, Stevie Mitchell impact on the program long term and your recent post. Let’s not make a habit of it.

Actually, we agreed on the departure of Greg as well.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #441 on: April 20, 2022, 06:22:59 PM »
Cal can do this legally now but this type of money is going to hurt college basketball in the long run, just have to have a bunch of rich alumni, simple

How is it going to change anything? Those alums and money existed prior to NIL (and those players were paid before NIL too)

Goose

• All American
« Reply #442 on: April 20, 2022, 06:24:40 PM »
jesmu

There might be good people with money that are willing to support a program now. I think it is a positive for schools like MU, not a negative.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #443 on: April 20, 2022, 06:58:08 PM »

Why is the POY returning to college instead of going to the NBA (as he would have done before NIL) a disaster for college hoops?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #444 on: April 20, 2022, 07:06:52 PM »
would he not go 1st round?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #445 on: April 20, 2022, 07:07:46 PM »
Why is the POY returning to college instead of going to the NBA (as he would have done before NIL) a disaster for college hoops?

2 million is the disaster.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #446 on: April 20, 2022, 07:07:59 PM »
would he not go 1st round?

He was not project to.  Game doesn't translate well at the next level.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #447 on: April 20, 2022, 07:10:02 PM »
2 million is the disaster.

No it’s not
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #448 on: April 20, 2022, 07:10:56 PM »
Oscar can make max what Justin is projected to make. And that his best case scenario in the draft.

His NIL offer is 2 million. His max draft contract value is like 2.3

Goose

• All American
« Reply #449 on: April 20, 2022, 07:12:01 PM »
Muggsy

I love the NIL because it will bring good donors out and the crooks now have competition. There are good folks that would not give dirty money that very well might join the NIL game now. It is a new game, but I think it levels the playing field. Off the top of my head, I can think of a half dozen MU alums that back the school already and might participate in the NIL program.