'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Justin  (Read 192954 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: Justin
« Reply #350 on: April 13, 2022, 05:28:43 PM »
GoFast
One of my buddies plays the horses fulltime and loves Keeneland. I am sure he would love the tips!

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #351 on: April 13, 2022, 05:50:12 PM »
GoFast
One of my buddies plays the horses fulltime and loves Keeneland. I am sure he would love the tips!
Goose
Keeneland is pure class. From the grounds to the backdrop…to the friendliness of the tellers and kitchen staff (the bread pudding is out of this 🌎) …to the subtle but strong race calls of southern IL native Kurt Becker.

I think we will both have to wait and see if my buddy is reading MU Scoop, as when I’m quiet he usually wins lol. When I ask, it’s not quite “put ‘em in the bathroom” bad but it’s a bit Mush-y 😂. That said, when I met him at the Spring ‘18 KN meet, he did really well. I got to be in the Winners Circle with him and his Brad Cox-trained turf horse. One of the highlights of my life. He’s a great guy and extremely knowledgeable on MU hoops as well.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #352 on: April 13, 2022, 05:58:01 PM »
GoFast

Have your buddy pony up some money for the NIL fund.

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #353 on: April 14, 2022, 01:02:18 PM »
You would think it would help recruiting.  That’s why they tweet out great games of former players after NBA games.  That’s why they also have former MU players in the NBA speak with the team when they are in town.  That’s why the MU/NBA faces are plastered all over the walls of the Al. 

It has to help somewhat.  Just as Jordan brand helps somewhat.  Shaka will be the main reason for recruits to come however and his NBA track record with players will definitely help.  It all helps and can’t hurt unless your program has zero NBA players.

It 100% helps attract top tier talent as their number one goal is to get to the NBA.

Show me a consistently successful program that does not follow this model?

Sure there might be anecdotal examples that do not follow this pattern but the consistent top 10 programs all do.

I also agree that NIL is a game changer for programs keeping top talent that will not get opportunities in the NBA, which is exactly why MU needs to have alignment with local and international brands that can provide lucrative contracts for these players. Contracts with local bars will not be sufficient in the future to keep kids of Justin’s talent around or coming to MU.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #354 on: April 14, 2022, 01:07:15 PM »
GoFast

Even if you're just a casual race fan, I would highly recommend an afternoon at Keeneland during it's Spring meet. I was there in 1975 and I believe the place was about 100 years old then. Definitely the Fenway Park or Wrigley Field of horseracing. Beautiful setting in the Bluegrass countryside.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #355 on: April 14, 2022, 01:42:51 PM »
Quite often, yes, but sometimes no. Ochai Agbaji is a great example of someone who went from fringe draft pick to coming back and becoming a likely lottery pick. Justin could do the same, or he could be the next Johnny Juzang. But with NIL, if you can get paid while you try to increase your stock, it at least makes staying a more viable option for guys who are perceived to be in the 45-undrafted range rather than surefire first round picks.
I agree it is at least an option for those guys, but if I'm in their shoes I 100% go to Europe or the GLeague. Maybe someone with insight can share more information, but I can't imagine a guy like Lewis making a ton of money. (Would be interesting if there are IRS issues and some of the numbers come to light due to investigations in under reporting)
I think long-term, going pro and focusing 100% on being a NBA player and playing against professional grown men with professional coaches is better than getting playing time in college.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #356 on: April 14, 2022, 02:04:22 PM »
Bacot is returning to UNC. I am sure he could make a ton of money going pro, but he is is staying.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/acc/2022/04/13/armando-bacot-unc-north-carolina-returning-senior-season/7307638001/

Here we are convinced Justin is leaving because he can do better than if he stays. If he does leave that says a lot about Marquette basketball.

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #357 on: April 14, 2022, 02:10:50 PM »
Bacot is returning to UNC. I am sure he could make a ton of money going pro, but he is is staying.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/acc/2022/04/13/armando-bacot-unc-north-carolina-returning-senior-season/7307638001/

Here we are convinced Justin is leaving because he can do better than if he stays. If he does leave that says a lot about Marquette basketball.

Correct it says we are back to producing NBA players again.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #358 on: April 14, 2022, 02:12:13 PM »

I'm guessing UNC's NIL situation is a lot better than MU's.

Not to mention Bacot shot a total of 9 three pointers in his three years in college so far.  Justin is much more of what NBA teams look for.  Heck the national player of the year this year will probably return to school, in large part because he'd be a late draft pick if he left.  Justin would probably be drafted higher than either of those guys.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

dad's couch

• Starter
« Reply #359 on: April 14, 2022, 02:17:02 PM »

[/quote

How much is Justin going to make and from who? How much did Garcia get from the seafood restaurant?

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #360 on: April 14, 2022, 02:20:05 PM »
Wow!  If there ever was a guy who's stock was about as high as it could get it would be Bacot.  I mean the only way he could break his NCAA double double record would be for UNC to play in the Dayton games next year  :)
It does kind of make me wonder why a player who shows any next level ability at MU is always encouraged to take the money and run like dong otherwise would be "stupid" but there are many instances of college players who DON'T do that.  When D Wade took us to the FF I was all in on him declaring for the NBA.  Can't miss talent.  Justin is no Wade.  I could definitely see him staying unless he really doesn't like school. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #361 on: April 14, 2022, 02:28:33 PM »
Wow!  If there ever was a guy who's stock was about as high as it could get it would be Bacot.  I mean the only way he could break his NCAA double double record would be for UNC to play in the Dayton games next year  :)
It does kind of make me wonder why a player who shows any next level ability at MU is always encouraged to take the money and run like dong otherwise would be "stupid" but there are many instances of college players who DON'T do that.  When D Wade took us to the FF I was all in on him declaring for the NBA.  Can't miss talent.  Justin is no Wade.  I could definitely see him staying unless he really doesn't like school. 

Was Bacot projected to go high in the draft?  Most of the reviews I have seen have him second round at best. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #362 on: April 14, 2022, 03:31:54 PM »

Was Bacot projected to go high in the draft?  Most of the reviews I have seen have him second round at best.

Didn't see him in any reputable mock drafts at all, even after the tourney.
Sam Vecenie didn't have him in his top 100 Big Board
Givony/ DraftExpress didn't have him in the Top 60

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #363 on: April 14, 2022, 03:42:20 PM »
Bacot is an elite college player. He will likely not have a long NBA career, if he has one at all.

Bacot is a better college player than Lewis (right now, keep in mind Bacot is two years ahead of Lewis). Lewis is a much better pro prospect.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #364 on: April 14, 2022, 03:45:29 PM »
OK that is what I thought.  Thank you.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #365 on: April 14, 2022, 05:42:40 PM »

Bacot does not have an NBA game. He’s smart to get his degree for free.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #366 on: April 14, 2022, 05:52:07 PM »

But he'll make a good living in Europe.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #367 on: April 14, 2022, 06:47:53 PM »
He is academic All ACC afterall.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #368 on: April 14, 2022, 07:08:48 PM »
Correct it says we are back to producing NBA players again.

I didn't see any potential NBA player playing for MU when UNC was blowing us off the court. You have your opinion and I have mine. Obviously Bacot feels staying at UNC is better for his career than going pro now be it in Europe, NBA or G-league; whereas here Justin is the better pro prospect  and leaves for the G-league he'll get better coaching and development to make the NBA than if he stayed at MU. So what does that say about MU basketball: If you're not a first/second round draft pick after 2 years at MU you're better off in the G-league than at MU if you want to play in the NBA? Not a good look for MU basketball in my opinion and it saddens me to say it as I want the program to succeed.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #369 on: April 14, 2022, 07:48:25 PM »
I didn't see any potential NBA player playing for MU when UNC was blowing us off the court.

Did you see any potential NBA players playing for MU when Murray State was blowing us off the court?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #370 on: April 14, 2022, 07:57:27 PM »
Did you see any potential NBA players playing for MU when Murray State was blowing us off the court?

My brother in Christ, why did you have to bring that game up.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #371 on: April 14, 2022, 09:08:22 PM »
I didn't see any potential NBA player playing for MU when UNC was blowing us off the court. You have your opinion and I have mine. Obviously Bacot feels staying at UNC is better for his career than going pro now be it in Europe, NBA or G-league; whereas here Justin is the better pro prospect  and leaves for the G-league he'll get better coaching and development to make the NBA than if he stayed at MU. So what does that say about MU basketball: If you're not a first/second round draft pick after 2 years at MU you're better off in the G-league than at MU if you want to play in the NBA? Not a good look for MU basketball in my opinion and it saddens me to say it as I want the program to succeed.
I think it says that MU
( and other similar situated schools)do not have boosters who will pay a six figure number to a kid to stay in school.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #372 on: April 14, 2022, 09:38:47 PM »

I saw 3, maybe 4 future NBA players on MU during that game.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #373 on: April 14, 2022, 09:51:50 PM »
I saw 3, maybe 4 future NBA players on MU during that game.

???
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

genious expert

• Team Captain
« Reply #374 on: April 14, 2022, 10:13:43 PM »
???

Justin, Darryl, Kam and maybe OMax.

Projecting on Kam and OMax obviously.
Justin, no doubter. 
I think Darryl is in that 2-way contract ballpark

feedback