Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Justin  (Read 192966 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Justin
« Reply #325 on: April 13, 2022, 09:50:27 AM »
Mrs F will make you a sandwich. White or wheat? Toasted?

Guy who pretends to be serious get's suddenly unserious when asked questions.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #326 on: April 13, 2022, 09:50:57 AM »
I thought F36 lived in a van down by the river.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #327 on: April 13, 2022, 09:55:50 AM »
Count me in the camp of those who have long given up riding the peaks and valleys of basketball kids coming or going from my alma mater. I can't control their choices and life happens. Someone's front door is another's backdoor. Next man up, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #328 on: April 13, 2022, 10:01:36 AM »

Are you serious? The biggest issue for me on Lewis would be that there was a very large gap between his really good and really bad games which frustrated me. There are plenty of guys that frustrated me with their bad play over the years and all were good players that when they played poorly it stood out.

Also, note that I should have said frustrated me, not bothered me.

Of course I'm serious. One could find very large gaps between the really good and really bad games of any Marquette player, even the likes of Wade and Lee. I mean, D-Wade didn't show up for the Holy Cross game and he would never have become an MU legend if Diener hadn't saved his bacon that day. So I was wondering what it was about Lewis' bad games that bothered - or frustrated - you more than Hauser's many bad games down the stretch in 2018-19.

Hey, we all have favorites. That's cool. For the record, I don't lump you in with those who called Lewis "lazy" or who actually are saying they're glad he's leaving. I guess Justin musta stolen their lunch money or something. Assuming he leaves, he'll very much be missed. You're smart enough to know it's not easy replacing a first-team all-league player who averaged 17/8 and figures to only get better.

If on paper Shaka has not added a couple of impact transfers in a month I will be concerned, but not today.

Agree with this. Have a good one.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #329 on: April 13, 2022, 10:15:43 AM »
Yeah, thats a nice change in the rules - but Justin is going to be, at best, a mid to late 2nd rounder. But someone will blow smoke up his a$$ and tell him he can be the next JTA and he'll go with nothing but a two-way contract in hand.

Justin's best shot at a meaningful and sustained NBA career is to come back and kill it for another year by grabbing BE POY and a few NCAA wins. I get he could technically still do that, but it seems once these guys get a sniff of the NBA they're gone.

Scottie Reynolds was a first team all American and never even got a cup of coffee in the NBA

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #330 on: April 13, 2022, 10:23:07 AM »
Rico

I am not sure what Sam Hauser being one of my post Al favorite players has to do with Lewis deciding to leave, but I guess you do. As I said over the weekend, I was hoping Lewis would be back for next season and I am disappointed he is not coming back. That said, I wish Lewis good luck and time to look forward for the program. Shaka has a big hole to fill, but selling a big hole should be easier task than selling a role player position.

I think Lewis will be missed, but maybe not to the extent you believe he be missed. I am fairly certain the news did not catch Shaka by surprise and he has been recruiting transfers accordingly. If on paper Shaka has not added a couple of impact transfers in a month I will be concerned, but not today.
Of the guys that MU has been linked to in the transfer portal, who would you consider an "impact transfer"?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #331 on: April 13, 2022, 10:27:32 AM »
Lazer

Truthfully, I could not say who is the right guys or not and I trust Shaka to figure that out. I could throw out names for the hell of it, but that is all it would be. I do know, an awful lot of transfers and grad transfers were in starting lineups late in March this year and expect the same to hold true next season.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #332 on: April 13, 2022, 10:28:06 AM »

Guy who pretends to be serious get's suddenly unserious when asked questions.
ok… My interest is Marquette basketball winning. That’s it.  I believe Justin Lewis would be very good next year and help Marquette win a lot of games. That’s my sole interest here. Pre MU, post MU, I have no interest. I’m interested in MU winning. That’s it. Nothing more. Full stop. You can judge if you so chose. I’m not bothered by that. And, I’m an altruistic guy. I care. In my personal life I back-up my altruistic sentiments with action. But in this case, the case of MU basketball? I’m looking at just one thing…wins. Nothing more. No blabber about have a great life.
Still want that sandwich? If not, I’ll take it. Toasted please.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #333 on: April 13, 2022, 10:33:46 AM »

Are you serious? The biggest issue for me on Lewis would be that there was a very large gap between his really good and really bad games which frustrated me. There are plenty of guys that frustrated me with their bad play over the years and all were good players that when they played poorly it stood out.

Also, note that I should have said frustrated me, not bothered me.

Goose,

Should we be surprised that a first-time starter being asked to carry the offensive load for his team showed occasional flashes of inconsitency?

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #334 on: April 13, 2022, 10:35:52 AM »
Lazer

Truthfully, I could not say who is the right guys or not and I trust Shaka to figure that out. I could throw out names for the hell of it, but that is all it would be. I do know, an awful lot of transfers and grad transfers were in starting lineups late in March this year and expect the same to hold true next season.
Fair enough. But safe to assume you're expecting starter-type minutes from a couple transfers?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #335 on: April 13, 2022, 10:55:42 AM »
Pakuni

I would hope that we would not have a first-time starter replacing Lewis.

Lazer
100% expecting starters from the transfer portal, not just starter like minutes.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #336 on: April 13, 2022, 12:22:53 PM »
ok… My interest is Marquette basketball winning. That’s it.  I believe Justin Lewis would be very good next year and help Marquette win a lot of games. That’s my sole interest here. Pre MU, post MU, I have no interest. I’m interested in MU winning. That’s it. Nothing more. Full stop. You can judge if you so chose. I’m not bothered by that. And, I’m an altruistic guy. I care. In my personal life I back-up my altruistic sentiments with action. But in this case, the case of MU basketball? I’m looking at just one thing…wins. Nothing more. No blabber about have a great life.

Hahaha. I respect it

CAINMUTINY

• Team Captain
« Reply #337 on: April 13, 2022, 12:23:38 PM »
At the end of the day NBA draft is done based on age and potential. So the longer you stay in college is a detriment to you getting drafted. Anyone who says otherwise clearly doesn’t understand how the NBA draft works.

As for Marquette basketball, the program collectively benefits from players going to the NBA. We should support Justin in his quest and while it may impact performance next year, long term it benefits the program.

So we should all be rooting for Justin, not tearing down the kids dreams.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #338 on: April 13, 2022, 12:46:48 PM »
At the end of the day NBA draft is done based on age and potential. So the longer you stay in college is a detriment to you getting drafted. Anyone who says otherwise clearly doesn’t understand how the NBA draft works.

Quite often, yes, but sometimes no. Ochai Agbaji is a great example of someone who went from fringe draft pick to coming back and becoming a likely lottery pick. Justin could do the same, or he could be the next Johnny Juzang. But with NIL, if you can get paid while you try to increase your stock, it at least makes staying a more viable option for guys who are perceived to be in the 45-undrafted range rather than surefire first round picks.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #339 on: April 13, 2022, 01:26:32 PM »

Understood. Thanks for your honesty.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #340 on: April 13, 2022, 02:19:27 PM »

As for Marquette basketball, the program collectively benefits from players going to the NBA. We should support Justin in his quest and while it may impact performance next year, long term it benefits the program.

So we should all be rooting for Justin, not tearing down the kids dreams.

Agree with you about Justin.

Just curious, how do you think the program has benefited from players in the NBA? While it is great see see guys play and the occasional MU mention, I am not sure it translates into success for the program itself on the court.  What are your thoughts?

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #341 on: April 13, 2022, 02:24:03 PM »
The high school kids watch the NBA and they see what path the players took to get there.  The kids who want to get to the league will try to follow the path that's already been blazed, a proven path to the NBA.  If that path goes through Marquette for a player like Justin Lewis (or Dwyane Wade or Jimmy Butler or Jae Crowder or Markus Howard or Juan Anderson), then that highly rated high school player will believe that MU can help get him there too, and may choose MU over some other school.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #342 on: April 13, 2022, 02:35:35 PM »

Just curious, how do you think the program has benefited from players in the NBA? While it is great see see guys play and the occasional MU mention, I am not sure it translates into success for the program itself on the court.  What are your thoughts?

You would think it would help recruiting.  That’s why they tweet out great games of former players after NBA games.  That’s why they also have former MU players in the NBA speak with the team when they are in town.  That’s why the MU/NBA faces are plastered all over the walls of the Al. 

It has to help somewhat.  Just as Jordan brand helps somewhat.  Shaka will be the main reason for recruits to come however and his NBA track record with players will definitely help.  It all helps and can’t hurt unless your program has zero NBA players.

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #343 on: April 13, 2022, 02:59:32 PM »
I hope our star Justin Lewis returns

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #344 on: April 13, 2022, 03:37:35 PM »

I think Dwyane Wade was almost directly responsible for the Amigos class, and that he continues to show up in recruitment pics almost 20 years after he left campus shows how NBA success can resonate over a full generation. I think having alums like Jimmy Butler and Jae Crowder help, but I'm not sure either resonate the way a top-75 player does.

As far as benefits, I think having multiple successful players makes a difference and I think having recognizable stars makes a difference. It was a big deal when we had both Wade and a litany of guys, but now that DW is out of the league and I don't think Butler has ever been as recognizably tied to Marquette, it's less of a deal than it was.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #345 on: April 13, 2022, 03:55:48 PM »
It was cool when Wade was an analyst for the dunk contest and every time Juan got ready to dunk, Wade said, “We Are … !”

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #346 on: April 13, 2022, 04:47:48 PM »
I think Dwyane Wade was almost directly responsible for the Amigos class, and that he continues to show up in recruitment pics almost 20 years after he left campus shows how NBA success can resonate over a full generation. I think having alums like Jimmy Butler and Jae Crowder help, but I'm not sure either resonate the way a top-75 player does.

As far as benefits, I think having multiple successful players makes a difference and I think having recognizable stars makes a difference. It was a big deal when we had both Wade and a litany of guys, but now that DW is out of the league and I don't think Butler has ever been as recognizably tied to Marquette, it's less of a deal than it was.

I think thats largely due to him 1) not being a star in college like Wade and 2) not being a lottery pick/huge impact rookie.  Cause he's made reference to Marquette plenty.  He was even talking about MU and Juan at the ASG this year.  I think there was an Athletic article about him and Crowder and their MU history.

I mean look at Middleton.  Another guy who came into the league a bit quietly and became a star later in his career.  I bet a lot of Bucks fans can't even name where he went to college

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #347 on: April 13, 2022, 04:49:36 PM »
I mean look at Middleton.  Another guy who came into the league a bit quietly and became a star later in his career.  I bet a lot of Bucks fans can't even name where he went to college

I can!  ;D
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #348 on: April 13, 2022, 04:55:18 PM »
I think thats largely due to him 1) not being a star in college like Wade and 2) not being a lottery pick/huge impact rookie.  Cause he's made reference to Marquette plenty.  He was even talking about MU and Juan at the ASG this year.  I think there was an Athletic article about him and Crowder and their MU history.

I watch a lot of Big XII Saturday basketball and saw a lot of Middleton back in the day.  No way did I see this
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

GoFastAndWin

• Team Captain
« Reply #349 on: April 13, 2022, 05:18:02 PM »
Pakuni

I would hope that we would not have a first-time starter replacing Lewis.

Lazer
100% expecting starters from the transfer portal, not just starter like minutes.

I think my MU buddy from Green Bay may have a couple first time starters at Keeneland this spring meet.

“Down in Lexington, even the horses bow down to the round ball” -Al McGuire

feedback