Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Justin  (Read 192959 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: Justin
« Reply #125 on: April 05, 2022, 01:05:23 PM »
And maybe he decided he would rather use his money to help sick children.

What a jerk.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #126 on: April 06, 2022, 02:07:26 PM »
ESPN Write up on Justin. They have him ranked as 11th SF and 37th overall in Their Draft Analysis.

Here is the link for all the players . The PBJ review is interesting.

https://www.espn.com/nba/draft/bestavailable

Pre-Draft Analysis
March 21, 2022: (2022 NBA mock draft: Where they rank after the first weekend of the NCAA tournament) -- Entering the NCAA tournament as a fringe first-round prospect, the 19-year-old Lewis was unable to solidify his stock as he turned in an uninspiring 2-for-15 performance in an ugly 32-point loss to North Carolina. Despite big games against DePaul (26 points,10 rebounds) and St. John's (28 points, seven rebounds) down the stretch of the season, Lewis ends his sophomore campaign as one of the more perplexing prospects in this class given the stark difference between his best and worst games.

The Golden Eagles had no answer for Caleb Love's 21-point first half, and Lewis struggled to knock down slip-out 3s (2-for-7), finishing the year at 35% from beyond the arc on 5.2 attempts per game. Lewis is still very much learning when to take spot-up 3s versus when to attack off the bounce, as he tends to rely on out-of-rhythm jumpers or forced drives to the rim, where he's more strong and powerful than quick and explosive. Lewis' lack of elite burst showed on downhill attacks against the Tar Heels, and he missed a few bunnies in traffic (0-for-8 from 2), bringing his finishing percentage to 47.1%, which ranks 198th out of 203 players in the NCAA to take over 120 shots at the rim in the half court.

Lewis did change several shots at the rim with his 7-2 wingspan, suggesting he can play some small-ball 5 at the next level such as Charlotte's P.J. Washington. The small center role might ultimately be Lewis' most advantageous position as he's not quick-footed or consistently locked in guarding the perimeter (on and off the ball) and needs to still improve as an offensive decision-maker, finding more ways to add value when he's not making shots. There's no question that Lewis made a huge jump this season, and the fact that he's still 19 years old with NBA length and strength, a projectable shooting stroke and solid ball skills for a player his size makes him undoubtedly interesting to scouts. But Lewis didn't help himself against the Tar Heels, and he'll surely have to have a strong pre-draft process to prove he's worthy of a June first-round selection -- Mike Schmitz

March 15, 2022: (2022 NBA mock draft: Drafting players competing in the NCAA tournament) -- What to watch for: Lewis is a scoring forward with NBA tools standing 6-foot-7 with a powerful 245-pound frame and a huge 7-foot-2 wingspan. When Lewis is at his best, it's easy to see him filling a role in the NBA pick-and-pop 4 -man who can even slide up to the small-ball 5 some given his strength and length. Whether it's Eric Paschall or P.J. Washington, there are players in Lewis' mold having success in the NBA. Scouts will want to see Lewis make better decisions, play with more energy defensively and find more ways to impact the game when the tough jump shots he tends to live off of aren't falling. The age of most freshmen, outplaying potential lottery picks such as Baylor's Kendall Brown and Jeremy Sochan in a potential second-round matchup would help Lewis secure his standing as a first-round prospect. -- Mike Schmitz

November 30, 2021: (Top 100) -- The 19-year-old sophomore Lewis has taken a huge step so far this season, emerging as Marquette's leading scorer (17.3 points) and evolving into a legitimate floor spacer after shooting just 22% from 3 a season ago. Despite being the same age as some freshmen, Lewis has been incredibly consistent so far this season under Shaka Smart, scoring at least 15 points in every game thanks to his ability to knock down open shots and score out of the mid-post.

Physically, Lewis is hard to miss at 6-7, 245 pounds with a 7-2 wingspan, comparing favorably to names like Draymond Green, Paul Millsap, and Eric Paschall from a physical perspective. In part because of his impressive profile, Lewis was identified early by USA Basketball, joining the program for camps as a 14-year-old.

Despite his strength, length and offensive improvement, Lewis' decision-making and overall feel for the game is a work in progress (6 assists to 12 turnovers in 222 minutes). He's still learning how to read closeouts, when to shoot versus when to drive and how to effectively see the floor on the fly. On top of that, Lewis is more strong and powerful than he is quick or explosive, and scouts will want to see whether he can step out and check true combo forward types or guards on switches while knowing where to be off the ball.

But because of his NFL body and huge wingspan, Lewis has been able to play some 5 for Smart, something that could certainly continue in the NBA, as has occurred for similarly profiled players Green, Paschall and Millsap at times. Every coach wants a body they can throw at James or Antetokounmpo while adding some value offensively. While still at an early stage of development skill-wise, Lewis fits that mold, and could garner first-round interest if Marquette keeps winning and he proves his shooting is for real while showing enough glimpses as a passer and defender. -- Mike Schmitz

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #127 on: April 06, 2022, 02:17:08 PM »
That’s a good analysis of Lewis. I can see him as an undersized 5 more than I can see him as a wing.

If MU doesn’t land a good big in the portal and Lewis stays, I’d really like to see him play the 5 here. I truly think we would have been a lot better down the stretch last year playing him at the 5.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #128 on: April 06, 2022, 02:29:05 PM »
That’s a good analysis of Lewis. I can see him as an undersized 5 more than I can see him as a wing.

If MU doesn’t land a good big in the portal and Lewis stays, I’d really like to see him play the 5 here. I truly think we would have been a lot better down the stretch last year playing him at the 5.

Justin would seem to fit a Thaddeus Young/Taj Gibson role in the league.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #129 on: April 06, 2022, 02:41:23 PM »
And maybe he decided he would rather use his money to help sick children.

Basketball players get sick too.  ;D

Ben Golds Five

• Starter
« Reply #130 on: April 07, 2022, 01:39:13 AM »
Took a tour of the Fiserv today and saw his name-plate still on his locker. So maybe we got a chance 🤞🤞🤞

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #131 on: April 07, 2022, 05:57:45 AM »
Took a tour of the Fiserv today and saw his name-plate still on his locker. So maybe we got a chance 🤞🤞🤞

Were Kur’s and Darryl’s gone?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #132 on: April 07, 2022, 08:27:47 AM »
You never know ... but...

-- Given the comments made in the above articles, Justin would be well-advised to spend one more year at least in college. Given the way he grew as a player in 2021-2022, another year under Shaka's tutelage hopefully will markedly improve his draft capital.

-- I'm sure Justin is smart (he is, after all, at Marquette) and I'm sure he'll take the advice of his advisors and coaches and do what's in his best long-term interests.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #133 on: April 07, 2022, 08:38:11 AM »
You never know ... but...

-- Given the comments made in the above articles, Justin would be well-advised to spend one more year at least in college. Given the way he grew as a player in 2021-2022, another year under Shaka's tutelage hopefully will markedly improve his draft capital.

-- I'm sure Justin is smart (he is, after all, at Marquette) and I'm sure he'll take the advice of his advisors and coaches and do what's in his best long-term interests.

So not earning money AND not getting instruction from coaches who have a vested interest in making him a better NBA player is going to be better for Justin?

I don’t see it.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #134 on: April 07, 2022, 09:17:46 AM »
So not earning money AND not getting instruction from coaches who have a vested interest in making him a better NBA player is going to be better for Justin?

I don’t see it.
Agreed.  The big consideration for Justin is whether an extra season in college would help make him a more likely 1st round pick.  At this point, he seems to be trending toward a mid-2nd round pick if he goes this year.  A huge financial consideration as 1st rounders get guaranteed contracts while 2nd rounders look at a steep uphill climb for the most part.  But, sticking around for that possibility is a big IF.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #135 on: April 07, 2022, 09:33:57 AM »

I don’t see it.

I have no idea if Justin will come back or not. Early indicators sounded like there was no chance, but right now I think the window is at least cracked open.

But as far as your text...not earning money? He would be earning money, and I expect it would be more than just Duck Nachos. And Marquette's coaches definitely have a vested interest in making him a better NBA player. Shaka did that with players for years at Texas and sending guys to the NBA is more likely to attract future players with similar aspirations. So I think your premise here is completely flawed.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #136 on: April 07, 2022, 09:39:37 AM »
I've long thought that one of the ways NIL may benefit college basketball is it could make it easier for college players who are projected as mid to late 2nd round picks to justify coming back to school for a year. JLew could end up being one of those players. Selfishly, I hope he does return
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #137 on: April 07, 2022, 09:40:04 AM »
I have no idea if Justin will come back or not. Early indicators sounded like there was no chance, but right now I think the window is at least cracked open.

But as far as your text...not earning money? He would be earning money, and I expect it would be more than just Duck Nachos. And Marquette's coaches definitely have a vested interest in making him a better NBA player. Shaka did that with players for years at Texas and sending guys to the NBA is more likely to attract future players with similar aspirations. So I think your premise here is completely flawed.

He has a better chance at getting better at Marquette than he does in the G League.

If he gets a 1st round guarantee or a guarantee from some team that he'll make the roster he should leave.  Neither of those things really happen with fringe guys though.
VIOLENCE!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #138 on: April 07, 2022, 09:41:59 AM »
He has a better chance at getting better at Marquette than he does in the G League.

Why do you say that?  In the G League, with a dedicated team for each NBA team, he gets to work on his game in the system the NBA team has in place.  This isn't the G League of 20 years ago.  Players routinely play their way into the NBA from the G League these days.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 09:43:31 AM by Clarissa »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #139 on: April 07, 2022, 09:44:08 AM »

Disagree. He would have pros training him in an NBA system, NBA conditioning, and none of the scholastic requirements to deter from his development as a player. It's a nice thought that college is a better preparation ground, but I just don't buy it. It is better exposure and might be more fun, but no reason to think it's better for getting better.

If he gets a 1st round guarantee or a guarantee from some team that he'll make the roster he should leave.  Neither of those things really happen with fringe guys though.

If he gets that guarantee, he should. And who knows, he might. Knowing that the NBA is Justin's goal, that Shaka has sent multiple players to the NBA, and Nevada Smith came from a G-League staff, at least he should be getting excellent advice on the most beneficial long-term career path.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #140 on: April 07, 2022, 09:45:54 AM »
Why do you say that?

Coaches more invested in your future. A lot of times getting sent to the G League your with 14 other guys in the same situation.  None of your teammates care about anything but their advancement.  Games are like 140-130 with no defense playing in front of no crowds.

Meaningful games every night in the Big East with more exposure and more competitive realistic basketball.

If you get placed in the G League it is really really hard to get out.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 09:47:50 AM by GoldenEagles03 »
VIOLENCE!

• All American
« Reply #141 on: April 07, 2022, 09:49:22 AM »
Coaches more invested in your future. A lot of times getting sent to the G League your with 14 other guys in the same situation.  None of your teammates care about anything but their advancement.  Games are like 140-130 with no defense playing in front of no crowds.

Meaningful games every night in the Big East with more exposure and more competitive realistic basketball.

I think you have an over-inflated view of how much players improve in college v. the G-League. 

And what does "realistic" basketball mean?  Cause IMO the G League is much more than the NBA than the NCAA game is.

If you get placed in the G League it is really really hard to get out.

Well, yeah.  Probably because you aren't as good as the NBA players are.  The question where is it a better place for your game to develop, and I think given the time investments you can make in the G-League, that its the better place for game development. 
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 09:51:51 AM by Clarissa »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #142 on: April 07, 2022, 09:50:52 AM »
The idea that it is "hard to get out" of the G League is just false.  Almost half of the players in the NBA have played in the G League.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #143 on: April 07, 2022, 09:55:58 AM »
Disagree. He would have pros training him in an NBA system, NBA conditioning, and none of the scholastic requirements to deter from his development as a player. It's a nice thought that college is a better preparation ground, but I just don't buy it. It is better exposure and might be more fun, but no reason to think it's better for getting better.

If he gets that guarantee, he should. And who knows, he might. Knowing that the NBA is Justin's goal, that Shaka has sent multiple players to the NBA, and Nevada Smith came from a G-League staff, at least he should be getting excellent advice on the most beneficial long-term career path.

Did DJ Carton get appreciably better in the G League this year? He had a nice finish versus a limited start but he was pretty much what he was at MU with less minutes.

On the other hand, JLew markedly improved, especially his pro game. Maybe having Nevada Smith running the offense is a great option to get noticed on the Bucks floor versus playing in front of a few in Greensboro? I don’t think it’s so cut and dried especially with NIL potential.

• All American
« Reply #144 on: April 07, 2022, 09:58:29 AM »
Did DJ Carton get appreciably better in the G League this year? He had a nice finish versus a limited start but he was pretty much what he was at MU with less minutes.

On the other hand, JLew markedly improved, especially his pro game. Maybe having Nevada Smith running the offense is a great option to get noticed on the Bucks floor versus playing in front of a few in Greensboro? I don’t think it’s so cut and dried especially with NIL potential.

DJ Carton and Justin Lewis aren't the same person.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #145 on: April 07, 2022, 10:00:39 AM »

I think the biggest factor in Justin's jump was health and opportunity.  He undoubtedly improved as a player, but we saw glimpses of it his first season.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #146 on: April 07, 2022, 10:02:03 AM »

I think you have an over-inflated view of how much players improve in college v. the G-League. 

And what does "realistic" basketball mean?  Cause IMO the G League is much more than the NBA than the NCAA game is.

His take is pretty terrible. A homer college bball fan take. Because without a doubt, G-League basketball is much closer to the NBA game than the college game.

The college game has made strides over the past few years. Pace and spacing have improved, as has freedom of movement. But, it still has a way to go.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #147 on: April 07, 2022, 10:06:26 AM »

I think they are two different conversations, but according to their website, there are 30 G-League teams allowed 10 players each, and in the 2021-22 season, 116 of them were called up to NBA rosters on 159 occasions. That's a hefty chunk of the league getting an NBA shot (or multiple shots). If you want a path to the NBA, strictly by the numbers, 38.7% of the G-League is getting that shot every year while less than 1% of college players will get the NBA First Round call that guarantees a contract.

I agree that NIL makes staying in college a better option than it was previously. If Justin can make six figures while getting more regular national TV exposure and improve his odds of going from a 30-50 guy that gets a shot but no guarantee to a 20-30 guy that has a definite contract, there's value in that. But I don't think there's any guarantee that he will be a better player because of it, only that the NBA isn't drafting guys out of the G-League (Ignite excluded, which he can't play on anyway) nor handing out guaranteed contracts to those guys until they prove it at the next level.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #148 on: April 07, 2022, 10:30:00 AM »
Justin has played 2 years of college ball. He's entering that no man's land in the NBA eyes where he may have reached his "potential". IMO, he is out of here.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #149 on: April 07, 2022, 10:38:09 AM »

"Vested interest" was probably the wrong term. I should have said better coaching for a future in the NBA is available if he goes pro now.

Is there a difference in just sending guys to the NBA and sending successful guys? Jarrett Allen is the only Shaka guy having success as of now.

However, like you, I think there is a decent chance that he returns.

feedback