[May 10, 2024, 09:58:18 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by mugrad_89
[May 10, 2024, 08:12:15 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MUbiz
[May 10, 2024, 03:33:49 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by LloydsLegs
[May 10, 2024, 03:08:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Crystallization: Wojo’s chance  (Read 7879 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Crystallization: Wojo’s chance
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2019, 02:21:21 PM »
This is an absolutely terrific post and should be pinned to the top of the board.  It sums up my feelings about Wojo perfectly.

I think the best case scenario for next year is that Wojo rides Markus to a win or two in the NCAA Tournament and then makes a lateral move to a school where he can have a fresh start.  He may be looking to get out of dodge since Howard’s graduation probably means another 2 year rebuild.  We would’ve had Joey as the go-to guy in 2020-21, but that’s obviously no longer the case, and things are looking questionable post-Markus.  If he’s going to leave, it’ll happen after next season.

Those who want him fired need to realize we’re not UCLA or an SEC football program.  This administration will live with fair to middling results provided the players stay out of trouble.  So Wojo taking another job is the best way for him to become some other fan board’s problem.

Not sure about what you're saying regarding post Markus. We'd return an awful lot of experience. Have a solid potentially go to player in Koby. If Bailey gets his legs back or symir is as good as advertised I think we'd stay about the same. I predict two more NCAAs before we go through another rebuild
Maigh Eo for Sam

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2019, 02:47:19 PM »
Not sure about what you're saying regarding post Markus. We'd return an awful lot of experience. Have a solid potentially go to player in Koby. If Bailey gets his legs back or symir is as good as advertised I think we'd stay about the same. I predict two more NCAAs before we go through another rebuild

Saying that Koby is potentially a go-to guy before he’s ever played a game at Marquette is a bit premature.  He had next to no experience playing against high major competition at his last school, so let’s see how he fares this year before dubbing him The Be All.

As for next year, I agree with Goose.  I think we’ll look a lot more like Buzz’s last season or the two post-Wade NIT years than people want to admit.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2019, 02:55:38 PM »
This is an absolutely terrific post and should be pinned to the top of the board.  It sums up my feelings about Wojo perfectly.

I think the best case scenario for next year is that Wojo rides Markus to a win or two in the NCAA Tournament and then makes a lateral move to a school where he can have a fresh start.  He may be looking to get out of dodge since Howard’s graduation probably means another 2 year rebuild.  We would’ve had Joey as the go-to guy in 2020-21, but that’s obviously no longer the case, and things are looking questionable post-Markus.  If he’s going to leave, it’ll happen after next season.

Those who want him fired need to realize we’re not UCLA or an SEC football program.  This administration will live with fair to middling results provided the players stay out of trouble.  So Wojo taking another job is the best way for him to become some other fan board’s problem.
I agree with this analysis.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2019, 03:21:39 PM »
Saying that Koby is potentially a go-to guy before he’s ever played a game at Marquette is a bit premature.  He had next to no experience playing against high major competition at his last school, so let’s see how he fares this year before dubbing him The Be All.

As for next year, I agree with Goose.  I think we’ll look a lot more like Buzz’s last season or the two post-Wade NIT years than people want to admit.

Played Purdue, Texas Tech and Utah plus tournament team SDSU and damn good Nevada squads multiple times in his two years so you're wrong he has played against high major competition.

Second, I did not dub him anything. Saying someone has the potential is pretty much as conservative of a vote of confidence a person can give. And he does have the potential, he's put up some good numbers in one of the better non P6 conferences. Hence the term potential.
Maigh Eo for Sam

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2019, 03:23:04 PM »
As Buzz used to say "Character revealed".  My guess is Wojo won't bail just to get out of dodge.  His MO doesn't fit it.
Here is my question:  Do you regard MU as having a high turnover on coaches?
Are there any other schools that have as high a turnover of coaches and is as successful as Marquette?
What is our average coaching tenure and standard deviation?  Let' go all the way back to post-Al starting with Hank as Al is of course the bar everyone wants to meet.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2019, 03:25:17 PM »
Well, if Wojo does depart after next year for another job (and let's assume it is not Duke), an interesting program to keep an eye on in my eyes would be Maryland.  Steve is from Baltimore, has many East coast ties, and would be taking over one of the top basketball programs in the B1G (which also would not be in the ACC against his mentor).  Turgeon has been there for now eight years, and has only advanced to the Sweet 16 once; like Wojo, he recruits very well, but cannot seem to put all the pieces together for sustained success.  That job could be open next Spring.  I have hard time envisioning him taking any ACC job that isn't Duke. 

I do think his long-term goal is the Duke job; however, if he is smart about it, he would wait for someone else to replace Coach K, and then look to get the job after that coach inevitably fails to live up to the expectations.  That should be around 5-7 years from now, which would make next year an ideal jump year. 

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2019, 03:31:24 PM »
As Buzz used to say "Character revealed".  My guess is Wojo won't bail just to get out of dodge.  His MO doesn't fit it.
Here is my question:  Do you regard MU as having a high turnover on coaches?
Are there any other schools that have as high a turnover of coaches and is as successful as Marquette?
What is our average coaching tenure and standard deviation?  Let' go all the way back to post-Al starting with Hank as Al is of course the bar everyone wants to meet.

I actually think a number of the Big East programs have a high-turnover/sustained success rate of coaches.  Xavier, in the past 30 years, has had Pete Gillen, Skip Prosser, Thad Matta, Sean Miller, Chris Mack and now Travis Steele (who I think will be an excellent head coach).  Butler has had Barry Collier, Matta, Lickliter, Brad Stevens, Chris Holtmann and now LaVall Jordan.  Villanova, while they have absolutely had sustained success, have only had three head coach in the past fifty years; that is truly remarkable.  Providence has also had Dave Gavitt, Rick Pitino, Rick Barnes, Gillen and Ed Cooley (Tim Welsh and Keno Davis were not particularly successful).  Georgetown has really only been the Thompsons; we will see what Ewing can do on his own.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2019, 03:48:56 PM »
Well, if Wojo does depart after next year for another job (and let's assume it is not Duke), an interesting program to keep an eye on in my eyes would be Maryland.  Steve is from Baltimore, has many East coast ties, and would be taking over one of the top basketball programs in the B1G (which also would not be in the ACC against his mentor).  Turgeon has been there for now eight years, and has only advanced to the Sweet 16 once; like Wojo, he recruits very well, but cannot seem to put all the pieces together for sustained success.  That job could be open next Spring.  I have hard time envisioning him taking any ACC job that isn't Duke. 

I do think his long-term goal is the Duke job; however, if he is smart about it, he would wait for someone else to replace Coach K, and then look to get the job after that coach inevitably fails to live up to the expectations.  That should be around 5-7 years from now, which would make next year an ideal jump year.
I agree with this analysis.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Class71

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2019, 03:56:04 PM »
Loose

I know question was not directed to me, but I believe matching the "success" of this year is going to be difficult. Barring the signing of a couple high, high level grad transfers, I think NCAA bid is a long shot.

Agreed. Not a dumpster fire, just another so, so season. Wojo will be around for several more years as we stay the course and the program flounders.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2019, 03:58:13 PM »

This is how I see it too.  I think it's more likely for Wojo to build on what he's started at MU for the next 5-10 years than to jump to a stepping-stone job like Maryland if his ultimate goal is a return to Duke.  And I also think it's Wojo's mindset to stay here for as long as we'll have him, even if he's not saying it.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2019, 04:10:57 PM »
I wonder how much love any dookies have for Maryland, might be more akin to Forest Gregg coaching the Bears.

mr.MUskie

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2019, 09:21:46 PM »
Agreed. Not a dumpster fire, just another so, so season. Wojo will be around for several more years as we stay the course and the program flounders.

Yep

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2019, 07:57:37 AM »
1)  They will play a different  style than last years team.
   2)  Markus will be our leading scorer in many games.
   3)  We may have rebound trouble if we don't get another Big.
   4)  New guards will help reduce our Turnovers (Wow Markus had 134) and increase our  possessions.

A few thoughts on these thoughts...

1) Totally agree. This roster will need to rely on defense, turnovers, and pace. Not our forte the past few years.

2) As much as Markus' usage was a problem, it could go up significantly without the Hausers. Need to hope Koby & others can demand and shoot the ball.

3) I wonder how much our current roster could help this. Jayce Johnson is the obvious answer, but Koby McEwen was an absolutely elite rebounder at his size. Jamal Cain is another good rebounder. If those guys can at least be adequate offensively, they could offset our rebounding concerns.

4) Markus' turnovers were a product of his high usage. He had a lower turnover rate than Derrick Wilson or Junior ever did. He could still stand to be better, but his turnover rate is okay, it's just amplified by always having the ball in his hands.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2019, 08:31:27 AM »
A few thoughts on these thoughts...

1) Totally agree. This roster will need to rely on defense, turnovers, and pace. Not our forte the past few years.

2) As much as Markus' usage was a problem, it could go up significantly without the Hausers. Need to hope Koby & others can demand and shoot the ball.

3) I wonder how much our current roster could help this. Jayce Johnson is the obvious answer, but Koby McEwen was an absolutely elite rebounder at his size. Jamal Cain is another good rebounder. If those guys can at least be adequate offensively, they could offset our rebounding concerns.

4) Markus' turnovers were a product of his high usage. He had a lower turnover rate than Derrick Wilson or Junior ever did. He could still stand to be better, but his turnover rate is okay, it's just amplified by always having the ball in his hands.

Thanks for your thoughts.  Very Thoughtful.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2019, 09:51:01 AM »
On the job training is tough, but can be successful if the trainee is open to new ideas, Leann’s from mistakes, and does not let ego get in the way of advancing.

Wojo is learning.  He has made progress as a coach over the years.   The best thing he could is bring in an ex head coach as an assistant.   That with Stan Johnson can help. 

He is trying to succeed, and the right assistant can help him make the next leap.   

feedback