[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: I'm Crushed  (Read 4559 times)

NolongerWarriors

• All American
Re: I'm Crushed
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2023, 04:43:46 PM »
Goose - even some of my die hard Badgers fans are turning.  They love Shaka and style of play / recruits he gets.   They are getting tired of watching paint dry and mediocre seasons in Madison.

What's the style of play?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2023, 06:22:45 PM »

Coming to the game yesterday, the reason I am crushed is that I wanted that win to be the #1 team just as much as the team, city and follow members of this board wanted it. It's been so long since I feel we have been relevant and we are there do not get me wrong, we are there. I just wanted it so bad for the team to be #1 and we had it in the palm of our hands. Despite the fact that we should be top 3 still after beating Kansas, it just feels wrong that we came up short. We should fear nobody moving forward, and I am so excited about the future of this team. A final four appearance wipes yesterday's game out of my mind.
HowardsWorld:
MU will get another shot at Number 1 during the regular season. If we do our part and win the tough non conference games, we continue to be highly ranked. I believe that at some point in the season U-Conn could possibly rise to Number 1 again and we will get two cracks at them possibly 3.

MU needs to stay as high as possible in the Poll Rankings and in NET Rankings ( when they come out) so we can get a shot at a 1 seed.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2023, 06:31:25 PM »
Goal is National Championship

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2023, 07:14:55 PM »
I know I’m in the minority, but AP rankings mean nothing, zilch, nada. Maui title would have been awesome, winning the BE would be awesome. All that matters to me is success in March/April.

MUUWUWM

• All American
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2023, 07:57:12 PM »
Weenie post..get over it..we will be fine.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #30 on: November 23, 2023, 08:01:51 PM »
#1 on April 9th is the only #1 that matters.

MU will get a mid-season chance at #1 - when they beat UCONN away in February. 
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #31 on: November 23, 2023, 09:31:13 PM »
While #1 is nice, I am quite happy with the amount of attention Marquette is getting. It's been a long while, but Shaka has gotten us squarely in the national conversation.

Heck, my friends of other (big ten) teams are now following Marquette as much as I do. They love Shaka, they love the style of play, one is happy we took it out on Bill Self. Lots of people are locked in on this team.

This.   And Marquette showed they can play with any team in the country.  Go Marquette!

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2023, 10:25:07 PM »
I just can’t get behind the idea that “nothing” matters until March and April. I love every chance I get to watch this team play, whether it’s November or March. We have the ability to be playing into April, but it’s all a journey. With college athletes and the 1 and done nature of the Tourney, I can’t buy into the whole season resting on 40 minutes of basketball where there’s no second chance if you have an off night.

Last season was freaking awesome, even with a second round exit. Of course the March/April success are what I want the most. But there’s no way I care nothing about what happens up to that point. Every game is a blast to watch for me, and they all mean something.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2023, 11:11:06 PM »
I just can’t get behind the idea that “nothing” matters until March and April. I love every chance I get to watch this team play, whether it’s November or March. We have the ability to be playing into April, but it’s all a journey. With college athletes and the 1 and done nature of the Tourney, I can’t buy into the whole season resting on 40 minutes of basketball where there’s no second chance if you have an off night.

Last season was freaking awesome, even with a second round exit. Of course the March/April success are what I want the most. But there’s no way I care nothing about what happens up to that point. Every game is a blast to watch for me, and they all mean something.

💯💯

Don’t ever ignore or try to speed up the journey just to get to a desired destination.

Obviously March success is the ultimate in the sport, and given year after year after year of regular season success I could see not caring so much about a great regular season, or a conference title and so on and so forth.
However, we ain’t there yet.

March matters, way more than the other 30+ games, for good or bad, but as Marquette fans in this current day and age every game should be considered a treat, as success like this has been in the past and can again be in the future fleeting.

I don’t predict it will, not as long as the guy at the top stays at the top, but you just never know.

Also, we are still closer to having to make a hindsight argument of which is better-
Buzz type 3rd-6th place finishes and S16/EE trips, or Shaka type Conference Championships and top 10 rankings with early March Madness flameouts.

God forbid we have to have that argument 5-10 years from now, because we can all understand that would mean NCAA tourney letdowns.
All it takes is one deep run to not have to make that argument, and this year is hopefully that year.
He’s got the right guys to do it, that’s for sure.
However, the longer it doesn’t happen the worse the pressure would get, and no one wants that smoke.

All I know is that I can’t live like that. I can’t live waiting for March success and putting all my eggs in that basket.
I’d much rather live in the ‘every game is more exciting than the last’ and enjoy the beauty of the product put on the court as long as that beauty is on display.

I’ll hope and pray for a wild March into April ride when the time comes, but I’ll be more comfortable doing it after having enjoyed yet another amazing season

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #34 on: November 24, 2023, 12:54:59 AM »

This exactly. If you can't enjoy the journey, you'll almost always be disappointed with the result of the season.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2023, 07:09:45 AM »

Spot on. Our post season was 2 games, 1-1. Our "nothing matters" season lasted for months, and I loved watching so many great games. I think the "nothing else matters" is ridiculous. But what the Hell. This year both camps will be happy when we win the natty.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

FairWeatherEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2023, 07:59:20 AM »
#1 on April 9th is the only #1 that matters.

MU will get a mid-season chance at #1 - when they beat UCONN away in February.

Disagree with first point but I know what you mean.

Agree completely with point 2. UConn could be very very good this year and even 0-1 losses when we play them deep in the season....if we keep winning it could be a #1 decider.

So let's keep our end of the bargain  ;)

FairWeatherEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2023, 08:00:10 AM »
What's the style of play?

Steals steals steals....and the kind of play that leads to them.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2023, 08:13:07 AM »
Over the years I have watched the top programs, most notably Kansas, I had hoped MU would have regular season full of meaningful regular season games and we finally got it. The regular season still means a lot in college basketball, and I am going to enjoy every second of it. IMO, the conference tournament is far less important to me, but the next 25 games and March means a lot to me. Six games into the season and it has been a blast, and I am looking forward to all of the games coming up.

All that said, there is no doubt the season will be heavily graded by March/April performance, and I agree. Very happy that we have a team/program that we actually have high expectations for the tournament.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2023, 09:41:11 AM »
For better or worse, March will always have an outsized impact. How often Shaka gets to the second weekend, Final Four, or wins a national title(s) will come to define his tenure.

But it's important to remember that even the best coaches have a hard time winning titles. Bill Self is the best in the business and he has 2 in 30 years (and just 2 more Final Fours). Mark Few has just two Final Fours in 25 years and not having a title is seen as a shortcoming despite being one of the best around. Tony Bennett & Scott Drew are viewed as elite because of their national titles, but have the same number of Final Fours as Shaka.

I really want March success this year, but if you make it all about March, even with elite coaches and programs you'll more often than not be disappointed. Those highs of beating #1, edging rivals like Wisconsin and Notre Dame, winning crucial games in January and February, and securing Big East titles in March need to be savored, because if you can't enjoy the moments along the way, all you'll be left with is the near-inevitable disappointment in April.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2023, 01:55:55 PM »
Purdue is very good……..deserving of the number 1 ranking.

We outscored Purdue by 9 points when Oso was on the floor. Iirc

Oso needs to avoid picking up fouls 30 feet away from the basket in the first half…….especially when it’s his 2nd foul and they are playing against a 7’4 giant who is the reigning national player of the year.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2023, 02:03:24 PM »
Random Christmas trendy chic shopping excursion thingy.   Guy decked out in Purdue regalia, me in MU swag.  I start walking toward him to strike up a conversation.  He sees me walking up, smiles shakes his head.
"Dude,wow."
I know.
"Marquette is amazing."
So is Purdue
"Easily could have gone the other way."
Yes, it could have.  So much fun

And we fist bumped, laughed and went our separate ways.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2023, 03:09:41 PM »

The program is at a point it hasn’t been in a long, long time.There were glimpses of the Promised Land under Crean and Buzz, and good moments under KO, Deane and even Wojo - but nothing like this. We KNOW we’ll be playing meaningful games in March and we KNOW we can play with anyone. That makes every game along the way something to be savored, something that will go down as part of a legacy. I have zero worries about Shaka in March- success there is a when, not an if. And that makes the regular  season so much more fun.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2023, 03:17:44 PM by Lennys Tap »

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2023, 03:21:23 PM »
Purdue would take a win over Farleigh Dickenson in March than a Maui tourney championship in November.

Crushed? Im not….we beat #1 Kansas.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2023, 05:14:05 PM »
The program is at a point it hasn’t been in a long, long time.There were glimpses of the Promised Land under Crean and Buzz, and good moments under KO, Deane and even Wojo - but nothing like this. We KNOW we’ll be playing meaningful games in March and we KNOW we can play with anyone. That makes every game along the way something to be savored, something that will go down as part of a legacy. I have zero worries about Shaka in March- success there is a when, not an if. And that makes the regular  season so much more fun.
Nailed it Lenny. Enjoy the ride.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2023, 10:03:50 PM »

Well said, sir.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2023, 11:55:47 PM »
Success in November - February should build a road to March that MU wants. It’s fun as hell to beat Kansas, win the BE, etc. The reward should be a trip to Indy/Detroit with a top 2 seed in hand. MU can put themselves in a position to make March a bit easier with a great regular season (obviously nothing is a given that time of year).

It’s nice putting BE title banners up, they do mean something, but man, winning that round of 32 game to go to the Sweet 16, and opportunities that come there after…I’ll take that feeling every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2023, 10:38:29 AM »
Success in November - February should build a road to March that MU wants. It’s fun as hell to beat Kansas, win the BE, etc. The reward should be a trip to Indy/Detroit with a top 2 seed in hand. MU can put themselves in a position to make March a bit easier with a great regular season (obviously nothing is a given that time of year).

It’s nice putting BE title banners up, they do mean something, but man, winning that round of 32 game to go to the Sweet 16, and opportunities that come there after…I’ll take that feeling every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

This is also where I'm at. I truly enjoyed the journey last season, and will enjoy it this season too. Every step of the way. But it's past time for this program to finish at a great destination. We can't "trade" a Big East title for an Elite 8 or Final Four appearance, but I sure as hell would if I could.

I don't think UConn and its fans are spending much time being sad about losing to us in the 2023 Big East semis.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2023, 11:54:42 AM »
This is also where I'm at. I truly enjoyed the journey last season, and will enjoy it this season too. Every step of the way. But it's past time for this program to finish at a great destination. We can't "trade" a Big East title for an Elite 8 or Final Four appearance, but I sure as hell would if I could.

I don't think UConn and its fans are spending much time being sad about losing to us in the 2023 Big East semis.

They aren't, but it's only because of the unknown that happened after. If they don't come back against St Mary's, are out the first weekend, and we're talking about a Gonzaga national championship instead, I'm pretty sure they would still be salty about the MSG loss.

It's easy to forget perspective, but that's why you need to enjoy moments like 2023 as they happen. Because you never know when you'll lose to St Mary's or Michigan State to end a promising season.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2023, 01:25:51 PM »
They aren't, but it's only because of the unknown that happened after. If they don't come back against St Mary's, are out the first weekend, and we're talking about a Gonzaga national championship instead, I'm pretty sure they would still be salty about the MSG loss.

It's easy to forget perspective, but that's why you need to enjoy moments like 2023 as they happen. Because you never know when you'll lose to St Mary's or Michigan State to end a promising season.

Agreed. And I do enjoy them a lot.

feedback