[Today at 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by Hards Alumni
[May 03, 2024, 02:02:49 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fab Melo out of the tournament!  (Read 9079 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Fab Melo out of the tournament!
« on: March 13, 2012, 01:29:07 PM »
Syracuse Center Fab Melo will not be traveling with the team or participating in the 2012 NCAA tournament:

http://www.suathletics.com/news/2012/3/13/MBB_0313122020.aspx
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

marquette09

• All American
Re: Fab Melo out of the tournament!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 01:32:19 PM »
Ouch

Bieberhole69

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 01:32:32 PM »
That's awesome

Hoopaloop

• All American
  • Warriors Forever
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 01:33:12 PM »
Syracuse Center Fab Melo will not be traveling with the team or participating in the 2012 NCAA tournament:

Well that changes things a wee bit.  Can I edit my brackets?  Wisconsin is in that bracket, right?  They might have just been given their golden ticket again.
"Since you asked, since you pretend to know why I'm not posting here anymore, let me make this as clear as I can for you Ners.  You are the reason I'm not posting here anymore."   BMA725  http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=28095.msg324636#msg324636

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 01:33:20 PM »
Hope nobody filled their brackets out in ink.  WOW, stunning development.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 01:34:17 PM »
Well that changes things a wee bit.  Can I edit my brackets?  Wisconsin is in that bracket, right?  They might have just been given their golden ticket again.

I've got Vandy beating Syracuse in the Sweet 16...but this makes me wonder if they'll even make the Sweet 16. After all, Ken Pomeroy did just write today that this would be the year a 16 beats a 1...

drbeauch

• Walk-On
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 01:35:07 PM »
Makes you wonder if they knew about this before bids came out and held back the info so they could get #1 seed - not sure they would have got it if committee knew Melo wasn't playing.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 01:35:22 PM »

Wisconsin isn't going to beat Syracuse no matter if Melo is on the team or not.  But I think UW loses to Vandy anyway.

marquette09

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2012, 01:35:45 PM »

I hear those Bowling classes at Syracuse are pretty hard

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2012, 01:39:28 PM »
ACC Pride!

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 01:44:38 PM »

Wisconsin isn't going to beat Syracuse no matter if Melo is on the team or not.  But I think UW loses to Vandy anyway.

i have WI losing to Montana, but i was counting on them having no shot at getting past Cuse....don't like this.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 01:48:58 PM »
Syracuse is still really good.

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 01:50:11 PM »
I think the East bracket is the biggest up for grabs. I'm not confident in Syracuse (even if they had Melo), I don't like Ohio state. Now I really wish MU had the 3 seed here.

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 01:53:36 PM »

That is what I was thinking.  I hope that kills the spread so I can bet on them.
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

Bieberhole69

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 01:54:22 PM »
I think they should vacate their regular season championship and give it to the team that came in 2nd

Marquette_g

• All American
  • Gonna Get Some Cold Cuts Today
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2012, 01:56:03 PM »
So how many strikes does Syracuse get before the national media finally realizes they are about as dirty as it gets:

1. Bernie Fine
2. Drug Bust Cover-ups
3. Fab Melo eligibility

Probably will never be called out on a national level given that Boeheim is the resident svengali of ESPN.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2012, 01:56:53 PM »

Still good, but without Melo, I see them having a lot of trouble with a guy like Festus Ezeli. If they run into Vandy in the S16, that'll be a very tough match-up.

And @ Bieberhole...I love it!

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2012, 02:01:22 PM »
Love the BEast defector schadenfreude.

*Pitt has their worst team in over a decade.

*Syracuse is mired in scandal after scandal then takes a big blow to their national title hopes.

*WVU limps into the tourney and their best player loses out on POY after our very own Jae Crowder comes from four lengths back to catch him in a photo finish.

To hell with all of them!

Blue Horseshoe

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2012, 02:02:29 PM »
So how many strikes does Syracuse get before the national media finally realizes they are about as dirty as it gets:
1. Bernie Fine
2. Drug Bust Cover-ups
3. Fab Melo eligibility
Probably will never be called out on a national level given that Boeheim is the resident svengali of ESPN.

The Bernie Fine story still has a ton of vague information and he has not been charged for anything. As for Boeheim, he's a dick, but I've never heard him preach about molding young men or boasting of making the team take philosophy courses to study the classics.

LON

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2012, 02:06:40 PM »
The Bernie Fine story still has a ton of vague information and he has not been charged for anything. As for Boeheim, he's a dick, but I've never heard him preach about molding young men or boasting of making the team take philosophy courses to study the classics.

Well, I'm pretty sure Fabricio couldn't master this game:

dw3dw3dw3

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 02:07:04 PM »
I think they should vacate their regular season championship and give it to the team that came in 2nd
This... Banner time.

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2012, 02:11:21 PM »
What about his being named BE defensive player of the year? Frankly, kind of surprised he got that anyway given the games he missed due to the academics issue during the regular season.

Stronghold

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2012, 02:23:22 PM »
What about his being named BE defensive player of the year? Frankly, kind of surprised he got that anyway given the games he missed due to the academics issue during the regular season.

They will definitely miss him alot more of the defensive end than the offensive end.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2012, 02:32:35 PM »

My guess would be that he was given some sort of "zero tolerance" and allowed to work his way back to academic eligibility....and then he skipped a class...or missed some sort of mid-term target....

Guy's a dumbass.

foreverwarriors

• Team Captain
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2012, 02:34:57 PM »

My guess would be that he was given some sort of "zero tolerance" and allowed to work his way back to academic eligibility....and then he skipped a class...or missed some sort of mid-term target....

Guy's a dumbass.

Per Dana O'Neil: This is an academic issue related to the first suspension," a source told ESPN.com's Dana O'Neil. "He was initially cleared after the first suspension but the NCAA has since revisited the case and deemed him ineligible again."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/2012/story/_/id/7681715/2012-ncaa-tournament-syracuse-orange-announce-fab-melo-ineligible-tourney

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2012, 02:39:27 PM »
Per Dana O'Neil: This is an academic issue related to the first suspension," a source told ESPN.com's Dana O'Neil. "He was initially cleared after the first suspension but the NCAA has since revisited the case and deemed him ineligible again."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/tournament/2012/story/_/id/7681715/2012-ncaa-tournament-syracuse-orange-announce-fab-melo-ineligible-tourney

So what are the odds he's cleared again by the Sweet 16?  Give Jimmy some time to work the NCAA over like he did two months ago.

JD

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2012, 02:41:09 PM »
I don't understand how it could be academics if the semester doesn't end until May though?  Would Fabio have to keep a certain grade level throughout the year?

Any thoughts?
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

MattyWarrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2012, 02:41:10 PM »
What a fabulous wreck the orange are becoming, they still give JB a bye, and hes such a dick!

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2012, 02:45:29 PM »
I don't understand how it could be academics if the semester doesn't end until May though?  Would Fabio have to keep a certain grade level throughout the year?

Any thoughts?

Just saw this on Twitter...Syracuse's Spring Break began yesterday, and grades are due the Monday of Spring Break. So the Athletic Department likely got them late yesterday or today.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2012, 02:46:21 PM »
Boeheim will argue that Fab didn't have to attend class since he was getting tutored by Bernie Fine's wife. I would love to see Fab's transcript.

JD

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2012, 02:47:10 PM »
Just saw this on Twitter...Syracuse's Spring Break began yesterday, and grades are due the Monday of Spring Break. So the Athletic Department likely got them late yesterday or today.

Thanks Al.
“I think everyone should go to college and get a degree and then spend six months as a bartender and six months as a cabdriver. Then they would really be educated.”

AL

96warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2012, 02:53:39 PM »

Guy's a dumbass.

Right, I get that he was able to "work his way back"  to being allowed back on the court for the remainder of the regular season. Just surprised that the BE would give him any title with "of the year" in it at all given his ineligibilty for a not insignificant stretch of time. Kind of think it should go to someone who, oh I don't know, played the entire season.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2012, 02:56:43 PM »
I'm guessing this means we'll never see Fab Melo again. If he can't stay eligible this year, I'm sure he'll just bail on school and head to the NBA. I wonder if he's the type of guy that once his stock started rising, just figured he no longer cared about college. I am glad we don't seem to have those types here, and while he's certainly a great talent, that's not the kind of player I want anywhere near our program.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2012, 02:59:06 PM »
Perhaps he'll follow Carmelo into the NBA and be the same cancer on whatever team he joins. Boheim has always recruited talent, but, man, his players are morons.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2012, 03:01:44 PM »
I'm guessing this means we'll never see Fab Melo again. If he can't stay eligible this year, I'm sure he'll just bail on school and head to the NBA. I wonder if he's the type of guy that once his stock started rising, just figured he no longer cared about college. I am glad we don't seem to have those types here, and while he's certainly a great talent, that's not the kind of player I want anywhere near our program.

Someone will draft him high because of his size, but he's a bum's bum.  No offensive game...and who is he going to guard that is worth a damn in the NBA?

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2012, 03:20:58 PM »
Hope nobody filled their brackets out in ink.  WOW, TOTALLY NOT stunning development.

Fixed. 

Knowing how scummy Boeheim and his program are, and given the kid was out earlier this year under sketchy circumstances, color me NONPLUSSED.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2012, 03:33:18 PM »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2012, 04:01:34 PM »
OK, now CBS is saying that the NCAA looked into it and apparently he didn't complete all of his work himself.

So within the past year, we have had Bernie Fine, drug test cover ups and now you can add academic fraud.  How does Boeheim keep his job again???

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2012, 04:06:25 PM »
TS!!! Adios, Mr. Fab. I'm not going to be missing Syracuse.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2012, 05:02:02 PM »
What seed does Cuse get if this is announced before selection show on Sunday? 2? 3? 4?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2012, 05:04:37 PM »
What seed does Cuse get if this is announced before selection show on Sunday? 2? 3? 4?

Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2012, 05:24:17 PM »
OK, now CBS is saying that the NCAA looked into it and apparently he didn't complete all of his work himself.

So within the past year, we have had Bernie Fine, drug test cover ups and now you can add academic fraud.  How does Boeheim keep his job again???

I'm smelling a season of forfeits for 'Cuse and a banner for MU's first Big East Championship.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2012, 05:44:53 PM »

nope, they take things like players being out into consideration, I believe.

MUMac

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2012, 05:45:08 PM »
I'm smelling a season of forfeits for 'Cuse and a banner for MU's first Big East Championship.
I would guess they would simply vacate the BE Championship.  Could be wrong, but makes more sense to me.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2012, 05:46:05 PM »
Boeheim must be losing it in his old age.  His power of Super Whining is dwindling if he can't keep his players eligible for the tournament!  How will he complain this is unfair and make himself out to be a victim this time?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2012, 05:51:51 PM »
nope, they take things like players being out into consideration, I believe.

I know they do.  But Syracuse went 2-1 without Melo, the 2 wins came at Cincinnati which is a pretty darn good win and at home to West Virginia, who is also an NCAA Tournament team.  They lost at Notre Dame, which just about everyone does.  They have 2 total loses on the season, and Syracuse is still a VERY good team.  Cincinnati only dropped 1 seed, to a 2, when Kenyon Martin went down, and he was their ENTIRE team.  I would say the loss would have more of the effect that Brandon Dawson has on Michigan State (a good rebounder and defender, but not somebody they are absolutely hopeless without and who they run the game through) than it had on Cincinnati when Kenyon Martin went down.  Michigan State still got a 1 seed with Dawson being injured and don't have the resume Syracuse does.  Syracuse still would have been a 1.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Da 'Lanche

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2012, 06:29:05 PM »
What an opportunity for teams on that side of the bracket.  That being said, anything can happen in March and any team is an injury, suspension or hangover away from altering the course of the tournament.

btw, odds are that A big east team will get to the final 4 since that has happened about every year in recent memory.  If Syracuse goes down, who will that team be this year?    Ring out ahoya!     

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2012, 06:34:49 PM »
Well, I'm pretty sure Fabricio couldn't master this game:

What's to master?  Pay a physics major to get the block through the round hole in the middle.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2012, 06:39:53 PM »

By winning the Big East season title, again and keeping the alumni happy.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2012, 07:51:24 PM »
Syracuse boards just dumping all over Melo. Many calling for JB's head over this also.  My favorite post:

"Worst best season ever!" lol

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #50 on: March 13, 2012, 08:18:21 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conference_USA_Men's_Basketball_Tournament

Granted this is a conference tournament and not a regular season title, but Memphis had to forfeit all of its games and they are still listed as the C-USA champion.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2012, 08:57:19 PM »
I have a feeling that ol' Jimmy is going to be "burned out" and will decide to "retire" this offseason.