'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tomorrow's game is sold out  (Read 32081 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Tomorrow's game is sold out
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2020, 04:45:51 PM »
Henry Ellenson was never going to graduate in his time at MU.  Karim Mane, if we hopefully land him, will never graduate in his time either.  I have no issue with the recruitment of either, but pretending that we're only going to recruit guys who we know will graduate has always been nonsense.  Crowder came a hell of a lot closer to graduating than Ellenson did, or Mane will.  Criticizing a guy who spent four years in college (and in Crowder's case, obviously got crap advice from someone he trusted when it came to JuCo credits) while praising obvious One and Dones on the 1% chance they spend all four years on campus is pure nonsense.

Jae Crowder proudly represented this university.  It honestly bums me out how often people crap on him. A true Warrior, and not just on the court.

Well stated.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2020, 04:55:12 PM »
Well stated.

Appreciate it, 82.  Great win today for the boys and hoping for many more to come (and hopefully Mane enjoyed it as well!)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2020, 04:58:55 PM »
Henry Ellenson was never going to graduate in his time at MU.  Karim Mane, if we hopefully land him, will never graduate in his time either.  I have no issue with the recruitment of either, but pretending that we're only going to recruit guys who we know will graduate has always been nonsense. 

It's not about will. It's about can. A student leaving without a degree because they were offered a 7 figure paycheck in their field of choice is something to be celebrated. Fortunately that's what happened in both Henry and Jae's case.

Jae Crowder proudly represented this university.  It honestly bums me out how often people crap on him. A true Warrior, and not just on the court.

Jae is my favorite non-Wade player of all time.

Jae also had no chance of graduating when he arrive on campus.

Both of these things can be true. The second statement is not crapping on him
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2020, 05:01:40 PM »
Drop the mic. Didn’t realize part of the Jesuit mission was to be elitist and discriminatory.  Seems this is what Cheeks seeks.

Old

White

Man

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2020, 05:10:07 PM »
It's not about will. It's about can. A student leaving without a degree because they were offered a 7 figure paycheck in their field of choice is something to be celebrated. Fortunately that's what happened in both Henry and Jae's case.

Jae is my favorite non-Wade player of all time.

Jae also had no chance of graduating when he arrive on campus.

Both of these things can be true. The second statement is not crapping on him

If graduating was important to the administration, they would 100% never accept a guy like Mane. You and I both know they happily will, so enough with the semantics.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2020, 05:11:13 PM »
And Marquette has no problem falling all over itself on social media, etc. to celebrate the NBA success of Jae (or Jimmy or DJO or Buycks).

We’re using these kids as part of a multi-million dollar marketing program (of which they’re fairly compensated).  We shouldn’t get all high and mighty about a few at risk kids ESPECIALLY when our history has been built on the back of at risk kids and when those at risk kids have turned out to be some of our finest human beings. 

Go to class
Stay eligible
Don’t kill our APR

Worrying about graduation is a ridiculous exercise when ANYONE on campus could walk away from school to better themselves at any time. 

Bill Gates didn’t graduate
Will Gates did

Both are great representatives of their alma maters.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2020, 05:13:43 PM »
If graduating was important to the administration, they would 100% never accept a guy like Mane. You and I both know they happily will, so enough with the semantics.

You are 1000% wrong. Not graduating because you are offered a 7 figure paycheck in your field of choice is something to be celebrated. Not graduating because it was mathematically impossible for you to do so is something else. Fortunately, Jae fell into both categories instead of just the second one.
TAMU

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2020, 05:18:26 PM »
This is all hair splitting and/or made up phony outrage. Buzz recruited ONE f’ing guy (with admission’s blessing) who arrived at MU without a “mathematical chance” of graduating during his eligibility. Whoop de f’ing do.

Truth? Our most successful teams (under Al, TC and Buzz) had plenty of questionable (or worse) students who arrived as long shots to graduate at all, let alone “on time”. Despite Chico’s lies, the only time our APR has EVER been in trouble was 2 years in smack in the middle of the Bronze Beast’s era.

That is false, not one guy...especially on the RECRUITING side as you mentioned.

Secondly, you still do not know how to read APR and what a coach is saddled with from his predecessor as well as the direction things are going.  I noticed with today’s win you still haven’t said a damn thing about that, but defending Buzz is all that matters for you.

"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2020, 05:19:31 PM »
You are 1000% wrong. Not graduating because you are offered a 7 figure paycheck in your field of choice is something to be celebrated. Not graduating because it was mathematically impossible for you to do so is something else. Fortunately, Jae fell into both categories instead of just the second one.

Whatever makes you sleep at night is fine with me. 

Just understand there is a not small amount of people that think this is irrelevant and hypocritical.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2020, 05:19:56 PM »
I don’t mind taking guys like Henry either, but that’s a totally different scenario.  He can blow his knee out, needs to stay four years and graduate.  Some of the guys in question COULD NOT GRADUATE PERIOD. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2020, 05:20:09 PM »
It’s not what I seek.  I seek when we take a kid to a UNIVERSITY he has the mathematical ability to GRADUATE from the university.  That’s not what Buzz was doing with some players.  Sorry that I am so ELITIST AND DISCRIMINATORY to actually desire at least the POSSIBILITY that our student athletes have a chance to, you know, graduate.  What a concept.

Why does this matter to you?
I don't think any of us want to see kids of questionable character or zero regard for academics at MU. But if a kid is a solid citizen and does what is required academically, why is it a big deal to you if he has a diploma before his eligibility runs out?

Mike Deane and KO also brought in some guys with questionable academics. Where's the outrage directed towards them?

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2020, 05:24:22 PM »

Just understand there is a not small amount of people that think this is irrelevant and hypocritical.

+1,000.  It's obviously semantics and only ends up dumping on hard working students.  Tired of it.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2020, 05:50:27 PM »
CHICOS—I only saw KM at the game today. You said there were more key recruits....but won’t answer my question who else was there....hmmm.

Maybe multiple recruits finds your agenda better than just the one recruit who was there.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2020, 06:12:21 PM »

That's okay. There's a not small amount of people who believe the earth is flat too.
TAMU

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2020, 06:17:12 PM »
That's okay. There's a not small amount of people who believe the earth is flat too.

And you're among them.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2020, 06:18:21 PM »
And you're among them.

Hey, you can't trust anything NASA tells you. Solar winds man.
TAMU

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2020, 06:35:12 PM »
Large, but very quiet crowd. Felt like I was at a chess match!!!  :o

Agreed. Missed the student section energy, though I have to say the people in the student sections stood far more than everyone else. I suppose they had to to see over the students. Fans in my area were glued to their seats. Bizarre to me because at times I couldn’t help but to stand up. Nice to see the full house though.

UWW2MU

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2020, 06:37:54 PM »
Just throwing this out there, I thought the booing of Wojo before the game classless and was not a good look for recruits present today.

Crowd during the game I thought was decent.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2020, 06:42:34 PM »
And you're among them.

We win a real big game and Scoop still becomes a juvenile pissing contest. Sad and so annoying.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2020, 06:45:38 PM »
Just throwing this out there, I thought the booing of Wojo before the game classless and was not a good look for recruits present today.

Agreed

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2020, 06:49:21 PM »

Crowd during the game I thought was decent.

I heard that as well and thought the same. What kind of loser would do that publicly at a game?

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2020, 06:51:45 PM »
I heard that as well and thought the same. What kind of loser would do that publicly at a game?
I could give you about 15-20 names from this board that it wouldn’t surprise me one bit

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2020, 07:00:24 PM »
I could give you about 15-20 names from this board that it wouldn’t surprise me one bit

I’m guilty of being critical of players and coaches on this message board in the heat of the moment during games at times, but I just assumed it stopped there for everyone.

Booing players/coaches of your own team at a game is pretty weak and a bad look for the fan base.

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2020, 07:04:18 PM »
We win a real big game and Scoop still becomes a juvenile pissing contest. Sad and so annoying.

We win a big game and people still wanna piss on great guys who have represented our university well so they can dump on a coach that left however many years ago.  It is quite sad and annoying.  I wish we could just enjoy the win as well.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2020, 07:08:03 PM »