'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tomorrow's game is sold out  (Read 32081 times)

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
Re: Tomorrow's game is sold out
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2020, 05:25:54 PM »
Yes, but your definition of "winning" is quite different than most others. You have made that clear. You are perfectly content(and you always point to Wojo's "trajectory" when proving this). You are perfectly satisfied with a good regular season record...like 20 wins. Doesn't seem to make much of a difference to you if they make the tournament or not, have any notable accomplishments, like conference titles etc .You basically don't mind mid major results. You can deny it all you want, but every statement you make about the program points to you being perfectly content with winning regualr seasons. That's it. Whatever they accomplish/don't accomplish after that really doesn't bother you.

As far as the whole "bad kids" thing. Look, all my time and money has been invested in MU's BASKETBALL program, then anything to do with the University itself. So, excuse me for caring about what results are produced ON the floor as opposed to OFF the floor. I would get much more personal gratification watching the team cut down the nets, then anything they do after their careers at Marquette. That's just the facts. If they go on to be major successful in their professional lives after their career at MU is done, that's great, I hope they do. But if they don't, that's not going to bother me either..it is what it is. Once they leave MU, I don't have any idea what most of them are doing with their lives or careers, unless they are in the NBA but even then, I don't follow the NBA so..

Some of us care more because we went to the school.  We have an allegiance to the university, too, not just the basketball team.  For the same reason I don't want professors arrested for scamming students, or scandals in the JESUIT residence or scandals with the business school (illustrative example), I don't want the basketball or sports program scandal laden either.  I realize you don't care...sorry, many of us do.

I am content with putting a team out there that strives to win conference titles, acquits itself well nationally, goes to the post-season, and does it while at least attempting to be STUDENTS and acting in a decent manner. I'm not asking for angels as kids will be kids, but know who you are and who you represent...yourself, your school and your basketball program. 

The post-season itself, is a crapshoot. The better we do in the regular season, the better seed we get and the better probability of success, but nothing is guaranteed in a 1 game go home tournament.   Of course I want to go far, as does any fan.   That's how I look at it.   

Those expectations may not be as high as yours, but they certainly are not low...in fact I would say higher than yours because you don't seem to care about the school and behavior part.  I have higher expectations for MY SCHOOL and program than you do for your hobby.  So next time, define my expectations accordingly as you currently aren't doing so.
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2020, 05:27:26 PM »
Yes, but your definition of "winning" is quite different than most others. You have made that clear. You are perfectly content(and you always point to Wojo's "trajectory" when proving this). You are perfectly satisfied with a good regular season record...like 20 wins. Doesn't seem to make much of a difference to you if they make the tournament or not, have any notable accomplishments, like conference titles etc .You basically don't mind mid major results. You can deny it all you want, but every statement you make about the program points to you being perfectly content with winning regualr seasons. That's it. Whatever they accomplish/don't accomplish after that really doesn't bother you.

As far as the whole "bad kids" thing. Look, all my time and money has been invested in MU's BASKETBALL program, then anything to do with the University itself. So, excuse me for caring about what results are produced ON the floor as opposed to OFF the floor. I would get much more personal gratification watching the team cut down the nets, then anything they do after their careers at Marquette. That's just the facts. If they go on to be major successful in their professional lives after their career at MU is done, that's great, I hope they do. But if they don't, that's not going to bother me either..it is what it is. Once they leave MU, I don't have any idea what most of them are doing with their lives or careers, unless they are in the NBA but even then, I don't follow the NBA so..

Plenty of people donate to the program that are quite happy Marquette is winning regular season games, graduating players and those players are representing the university beyond their time in Milwaukee.  There voices are as important as yours.

Marquette is a university first, whether you like it or not.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2020, 07:48:16 PM »

The only way to win is take high risk kids, etc. 

Imagine Al without GT, Dean, Chones, Tatum, Bo, Whitehead, etc.

Imagine Crean without Wade.

Imagine Buzz without Jae.

Marquette would never have had a golden Age, Crean’s 2 really good/great years don’t happen and the renaissance under Buzz is stunted.

No high risk kids and our history is a very bleak one. But let’s try to be Duke BEFORE they wised up - that’ll work. LOL.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 08:55:57 PM by Lennys Tap »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2020, 07:53:19 PM »
Hey Cheeks

Why is noteworthy to post the game is sold out? Wojo has the boys going uptown and biggest home game of the year, it better be sold out.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2020, 08:18:58 PM »
Crean witout Wade leeves an empty sac, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 03, 2020, 08:23:55 PM »
Marquette not offering any opportunities to rise up to kids of questionable track record.   

CURA PERSONALIS BABY!
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2020, 08:24:16 PM »
Who is the other key recruit who will be there?

harryp

• Starter
« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2020, 08:33:05 PM »
I have always supported Wojo, but the last game showed us as totally unprepared, and leaves me questioning that position. I had watched some of Creighton's games and it was obvious that they had excellent speed and spacing, and I am no expert. We were not ready for either. That's on the coach. I will cheer tomorrow, whatever happens, and be really happy if we win. We must however, avoid ANY booing!!
BTY I also was at that game in '77, did not boo, and sat in the season ticket seats (which I still have).

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2020, 08:40:22 PM »
Sell out crowd will see Wright coach circles around Woj. 

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2020, 07:33:34 AM »
Crowd mae bee der ta sea DiVincenzo in da crowd doe, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2020, 07:44:48 AM »
Crowd mae bee der ta sea DiVincenzo in da crowd doe, hey?

Countered by Wes. 

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2020, 01:05:28 PM »

Marquette would never have had a golden Age, Crean’s 2 really good/great years don’t happen and the renaissance under Buzz is stunted.

No high risk kids and our history is a very bleak one. But let’s try to be Duke BEFORE they wised up - that’ll work. LOL.

Drop the mic. Didn’t realize part of the Jesuit mission was to be elitist and discriminatory.  Seems this is what Cheeks seeks.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2020, 01:09:48 PM »
A lot of people must want to see Villanova in person
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2020, 01:11:15 PM »

There’s high risk and guys that literally have no chance of graduating...which is what Buzz was doing.  Sorry you don’t see the difference.  I’m not against high risk guys, I am when 40% of your roster is that way and the credits they have don’t transfer or we don’t have the major for them to graduate. 
"I hate everything about this job except the games, Everything. I don't even get affected anymore by the winning, by the ratings, those things. The trouble is, it will sound like an excuse because we've never won the national championship, but winning just isn't all that important to me.” Al McGuire

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2020, 01:12:11 PM »
Hey Cheeks

Why is noteworthy to post the game is sold out? Wojo has the boys going uptown and biggest home game of the year, it better be sold out.

Some folks here already noted they have given up, not renewed their seats, going to vote with their feet...not attend.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2020, 01:13:05 PM »
Drop the mic. Didn’t realize part of the Jesuit mission was to be elitist and discriminatory.  Seems this is what Cheeks seeks.

Cheeks is over the top no doubt, but this a bs argument as well. For every Jae Crowder there are literal hundreds of basketball players that come from just as disadvantaged backgrounds who put in the work and got good grades. There is nothing wrong with taking academics into account with recruiting.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Cheeks

• All American
  • Hall of Fame Hugger
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2020, 01:23:01 PM »

It’s not what I seek.  I seek when we take a kid to a UNIVERSITY he has the mathematical ability to GRADUATE from the university.  That’s not what Buzz was doing with some players.  Sorry that I am so ELITIST AND DISCRIMINATORY to actually desire at least the POSSIBILITY that our student athletes have a chance to, you know, graduate.  What a concept.

Otherwise, your post is nothing but horseshat.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2020, 02:14:09 PM »
It’s not what I seek.  I seek when we take a kid to a UNIVERSITY he has the mathematical ability to GRADUATE from the university.  That’s not what Buzz was doing with some players.  Sorry that I am so ELITIST AND DISCRIMINATORY to actually desire at least the POSSIBILITY that our student athletes have a chance to, you know, graduate.  What a concept.

Otherwise, your post is nothing but horseshat.

Yea. Like Henry Ellenson. We are also recruiting Karim Mane.

Retire your hate Buzz act. It’s lame AF. Wojo ain’t recruiting kids who are anymore guaranteed to graduate than Buzz.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2020, 02:16:37 PM »

Retire your hate Buzz act. It’s lame AF. Wojo ain’t recruiting kids who are anymore guaranteed to graduate than Buzz.

Everything I heard about Henry was that he was a great student. I haven't heard anything negative about Mane's grades
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2020, 03:55:42 PM »

Henry could've graduated. Mane could as well. The problem addressed isn't people leaving early for the NBA when they are on track, it's guys who cannot complete their education in the time available to them. I don't disagree that we should pursue players that can graduate.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mugrack

• Team Captain
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2020, 04:04:28 PM »
Large, but very quiet crowd. Felt like I was at a chess match!!!  :o

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2020, 04:09:50 PM »
Large, but very quiet crowd. Felt like I was at a chess match!!!  :o

I was there, too, mug. And I thought it was a nervous crowd. At one point, when we were up 10 or so, I said it felt like a one-possession game.

I thought our guys showed a lot of ballz pulling it out after we lost momentum.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

mugrack

• Team Captain
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2020, 04:12:15 PM »
Love the heart of the team today. Played like real warriors against a top ten team.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2020, 04:15:23 PM »
This is all hair splitting and/or made up phony outrage. Buzz recruited ONE f’ing guy (with admission’s blessing) who arrived at MU without a “mathematical chance” of graduating during his eligibility. Whoop de f’ing do.

Truth? Our most successful teams (under Al, TC and Buzz) had plenty of questionable (or worse) students who arrived as long shots to graduate at all, let alone “on time”. Despite Chico’s lies, the only time our APR has EVER been in trouble was 2 years in smack in the middle of the Bronze Beast’s era.

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2020, 04:38:25 PM »
This is all hair splitting and/or made up phony outrage. Buzz recruited ONE f’ing guy (with admission’s blessing) who arrived at MU without a “mathematical chance” of graduating during his eligibility. Whoop de f’ing do.

Truth? Our most successful teams (under Al, TC and Buzz) had plenty of questionable (or worse) students who arrived as long shots to graduate at all, let alone “on time”. Despite Chico’s lies, the only time our APR has EVER been in trouble was 2 years in smack in the middle of the Bronze Beast’s era.

Henry Ellenson was never going to graduate in his time at MU.  Karim Mane, if we hopefully land him, will never graduate in his time either.  I have no issue with the recruitment of either, but pretending that we're only going to recruit guys who we know will graduate has always been nonsense.  Crowder came a hell of a lot closer to graduating than Ellenson did, or Mane will.  Criticizing a guy who spent four years in college (and in Crowder's case, obviously got crap advice from someone he trusted when it came to JuCo credits) while praising obvious One and Dones on the 1% chance they spend all four years on campus is pure nonsense.

Jae Crowder proudly represented this university.  It honestly bums me out how often people crap on him. A true Warrior, and not just on the court.