Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: We need to win this one for Al  (Read 4659 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
We need to win this one for Al
« on: November 21, 2017, 01:19:23 AM »
Those of you around in 1977 know what I'm talking about.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MU 1971

• Walk-On
Re: We need to win this one for Al
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 05:41:10 AM »
Yes we do.   Do you still have the handout that was on every seat before Al's final game at the Milwaukee Arena?  It was entitled simply: "AL"

We lost three in a row during the final homestand in 1977.  Hard to believe after having such a dominant run for so many years, including 83 (or was it 81?) in a row from 1967 to 1971.  I never saw MU lose at home during my entire years as a student (1967-71).

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 05:48:55 AM »
I never saw MU lose at home during my entire years as a student (1967-71).

That's incredible.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 06:36:36 AM »
I believe it was 82 in a row at home. Al's last game was one that I will never forget.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 07:14:59 AM by Goose »

sailwi

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 07:09:39 AM »
Cheese Johnson was the WSU star IIRC.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 07:44:01 AM »
Wuz at the trifecta back den that started wit a double OT loss to DaPaul, followed bye Dickie V’s Detroit, and finally Wichita St. Didn’t tink da Warriors had it in ‘em. Shoulda known bedder. When ya got Butch, Bo, J, JB, Rosie, BT, etc., you are motherfookin’ loaded, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 08:06:46 AM »
Cheese Johnson was the WSU star IIRC.

He was and he killed us.  Lynbert was unstoppable, he might have hit 40.  A very bad time for Al's NYC pipeline to fail.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 08:08:59 AM »
Yes we do.   Do you still have the handout that was on every seat before Al's final game at the Milwaukee Arena?  It was entitled simply: "AL"

We lost three in a row during the final homestand in 1977.  Hard to believe after having such a dominant run for so many years, including 83 (or was it 81?) in a row from 1967 to 1971.  I never saw MU lose at home during my entire years as a student (1967-71).

Long gone, I'm afraid
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 08:11:00 AM by 4everCrean »

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 08:09:14 AM »
I was there, I remember they were on the bubble with the way they finished the season.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2017, 08:12:36 AM »
4ever

I lost faith during that run. Lost a lot of home games that year. But, turned out pretty good!!

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2017, 08:16:45 AM »
I was there, I remember they were on the bubble with the way they finished the season.

Bubble?  We were out of the tournament..........  at least that's what everyone was convinced of after that loss.  Lots of boos at the end of the game.  MU was literally the last team in the year we won it all.  No wonder Al lost it at the end of the championship game against North Carolina.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2017, 08:28:11 AM »
Bubble?  We were out of the tournament..........  at least that's what everyone was convinced of after that loss.  Lots of boos at the end of the game.  MU was literally the last team in the year we won it all.  No wonder Al lost it at the end of the championship game against North Carolina.

I wonder how Al would be remembered had we been left out or had K State forced and won in overtime in the second game. That last run of 5 wins likely not only changed the perception of Al but our basketball program and University as a whole.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 08:32:27 AM »
Brew

The way he went out added a lot to the Al era legacy and means a lot in the big picture. Anyone close to the program, and there were thousands, likely would have had 99% the same feelings about the Al era. So many memorable games, quotes, all time great players and just Al in general forged his legacy well before the final game.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 08:54:46 AM »

Still have mine!  Awesome piece of MU memorabilia....

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 08:57:05 AM »
Yeah butt, how many y’all have a piece of championship Monday’s net, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2017, 08:58:23 AM »

that's true and no team had ever won the title with as many losses as MU, 7. I don't even remember if they used the term bubble back then.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 09:00:45 AM »
that's true and no team had ever won the title with as many losses as MU, 7. I don't even remember if they used the term bubble back then.

Yep.  We had the lead over a very good Michigan team on the road at halftime when we got in, and that may very well have convinced the committee to give us the last spot....

Goose

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 09:21:07 AM »
Doc

You earned the piece of the net. Very jealous!!

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 09:55:38 AM »
Brew

The way he went out added a lot to the Al era legacy and means a lot in the big picture. Anyone close to the program, and there were thousands, likely would have had 99% the same feelings about the Al era. So many memorable games, quotes, all time great players and just Al in general forged his legacy well before the final game.

I have no doubt that's true, but I think that final run took him from legacy to legendary. I'm confident those that were there would have the same feelings, but I'm not sure his name would've resonated with younger generations the way it does.

Does the McGuire play exist without the title? Do generations of coaches like O'Neill and Crean view Marquette at the same viable destination level? Would his name be mentioned as frequently in national media when we play?

I definitely think he created an emblematic brand that resonated with an entire generation, but I think the title may have helped stamp that brand indelibly into the future.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 09:58:18 AM »

I was in the student section. Most of those boos were directed at the refs who tossed Al out of the game. I always felt it was fitting Al got tossed his last home game. Great memories.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 10:00:19 AM »
Still have mine!  Awesome piece of MU memorabilia....

Can us younger folk get some pics????

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2017, 10:04:21 AM »
I was in the student section. Most of those boos were directed at the refs who tossed Al out of the game. I always felt it was fitting Al got tossed his last home game. Great memories.

Bill Neary thought differently.  Didn't he give fans the finger during the parade?

Goose

• All American
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2017, 10:05:06 AM »
79 Warriors

Correct on the booing and  Al's early exit. The home team was screwed that night.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2017, 10:19:03 AM »
brew

No doubt running the table is a big part of Al being legendary. That said, his tenure at MU changed the landscape in college basketball is so many ways. He was a legend with fans, the media and his peers well before March 28, 1977.

This past year at Al's Run I was thinking about when the race was one of the top 2-3 attended in the country for a period of time. Winning the tourney was huge, but I believe his legend was created well before then.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2017, 11:02:09 AM »
brew

No doubt running the table is a big part of Al being legendary. That said, his tenure at MU changed the landscape in college basketball is so many ways. He was a legend with fans, the media and his peers well before March 28, 1977.

This past year at Al's Run I was thinking about when the race was one of the top 2-3 attended in the country for a period of time. Winning the tourney was huge, but I believe his legend was created well before then.

It's certainly interesting to wonder what might have been. That said, I don't think it could've went any better and I think we can all agree winning the title was for the best  ;D