[Today at 10:56:50 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MUDPT
[Today at 08:30:00 AM]

Congrats Tyler by Herman Cain
[Today at 07:56:50 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by cheebs09
[May 12, 2024, 09:16:55 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Zonebuster MU needed yesterday might've been playing in La Crosse  (Read 7943 times)

Eye

• All American
Hauser had 35, 9 rebounds, 8 assists in SPASH's 89-73 win over 20-15 MN 4A runner-up Champlin Park. 19 in the 1st half, 5 total 3's. Live near La Crosse, so got to see Wojo twice yesterday. He probably had a little faster transportation that I did ;). Hauser has turned from a young Novak two years ago into the senior-year Novak tonight. Younger Hauser not bad either, had 22. Three-man team with those two and Anderson, but boy are those 3 really good. Got to see the older two as sophomores at SPASH's Christmas tourney, and they've both improved, particularly Hauser with his defense and rebounding. Like Novak rebounding probably won't be there early at MU, but hopefully there by the end.

Wojo also there presumably to watch CP's Theo John, 6-8 junior forward. Only had 7 last night. And maybe CP's McKinley Wright, who had 22 last night.

And yes, aware Rowsey could be that zonebuster, too.
GO WARRIORS!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Zonebuster MU needed yesterday might've been playing in La Crosse
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 11:06:54 AM »
With or without Henry, I think we'll be better next year. Looking forward to watching Cheatham and Carter grow up, and Rowsey and Hauser should at least improve our ability to shoot from range and spread the floor.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2016, 11:34:59 AM »
With or without Henry, I think we'll be better next year. Looking forward to watching Cheatham and Carter grow up, and Rowsey and Hauser should at least improve our ability to shoot from range and spread the floor.

I guess the question is: if Henry goes and no big man comes on board in the spring, does Wojo go small ball next year with Hauser starting at forward with Sandy?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 11:39:42 AM »
I guess the question is: if Henry goes and no big man comes on board in the spring, does Wojo go small ball next year with Hauser starting at forward with Sandy?

Big east PF would eat hauser up. But atleast Hauser could have the upper hand on offense.

Wojo missed on the 4 immediate eligible types last year. But that was a fluke. I would be shocked if he didn't add a veteran big to play right away

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 11:41:29 AM »
Live near La Crosse, so got to see Wojo twice yesterday. He probably had a little faster transportation that I did ;)

Love the right up. Just curious, did Sam and Theo John matchup at all on defense?

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 11:48:02 AM »
Heard t h at Sam has grown to 6'8" now.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 11:51:41 AM »
Big east PF would eat hauser up. But atleast Hauser could have the upper hand on offense.

What about Sandy at PF?  Did we eat up Kris Jenkins on Wednesday?

Wojo missed on the 4 immediate eligible types last year. But that was a fluke. I would be shocked if he didn't add a veteran big to play right away

I agree that this is likely this spring.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 11:55:34 AM »
I think Wally will be the power forward. He is the most active player on the team. He is not the ideal power forward, but a power forward has to rebound.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 11:55:43 AM »
What about Sandy at PF?  Did we eat up Kris Jenkins on Wednesday?

Yeah, in hindsight I believe Sandy was who he meant. Just my opinion, but I would feel a lot better with a bruising JUCO/Grad transfer next to Fish next year.

Hauser is going to be a stud for MU

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 12:08:47 PM »
I am glad to hear that young Mr Hauser is doing well.  I am done forever with the fool's gold notion that a high school senior is going to be a huge contributor the next year in the Big East.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 01:21:12 PM »
I am glad to hear that young Mr Hauser is doing well.  I am done forever with the fool's gold notion that a high school senior is going to be a huge contributor the next year in the Big East.
Yes and a Big South transfer too.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2016, 05:04:50 PM »

Small ball, with Sandy, Wally, Hauser, and Anim all in the mix for minutes at the PF position. But my guess is we would make a big push for a grad transfer again, and seeing the success Henry had and the complete vacancy, we'd probably have a better shot at landing one this time around.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2016, 07:46:28 PM »
Ditto
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2016, 09:36:22 PM »
Amen.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2016, 09:59:44 PM »
I am done forever with the fool's gold notion that a high school senior is going to be a huge contributor the next year in the Big East.
I understand the point you are making.  However I think that expecting a kid who is a great shooter as a HS Senior and top 100 recruit to play enough to have a significant effect as a zone buster on a team that has no reliable 3 point shooters currently is not too much of a leap.  I will say that is a heck of a lot different than saying a HS point guard just outside the top 100 can be your day one starting point guard or 3 freshman can play 30+ minutes and transform your team from last place in the Big East to a top 4 contender.  Freshmen can make significant contributions but they need to play a role.  Our problem this year is they were expected to be effectively the entire team.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2016, 10:47:19 PM »
I understand the point you are making.  However I think that expecting a kid who is a great shooter as a HS Senior and top 100 recruit to play enough to have a significant effect as a zone buster on a team that has no reliable 3 point shooters currently is not too much of a leap.  I will say that is a heck of a lot different than saying a HS point guard just outside the top 100 can be your day one starting point guard or 3 freshman can play 30+ minutes and transform your team from last place in the Big East to a top 4 contender.  Freshmen can make significant contributions but they need to play a role.  Our problem this year is they were expected to be effectively the entire team.

I agree with you. But I am reminded of the fact that Duane Wilson shot 50% from three his hs senior year and now he's getting torched on this board for not being able to shoot
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2016, 06:03:27 AM »
I predict that Rowsey will shoot a higher % from 3 next year.   Why?   He's already done it at the college level.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Eye

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2016, 07:33:16 AM »
I'd say Hauser more around 6-6. Younger Hauser was a touch taller. And despite my own relative excitement, I'd be surprised if Hauser's more than the 8th man next year, maybe not even that if Ellenson happens to stay. Just saying in this particular matchup where MU needed a zonebuster, he might've been the ingredient that was missing.
GO WARRIORS!

MUINGB

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2016, 07:38:31 AM »
Eye seems to have his eye on the ball for this one.   Houser will be a very good player, but a year or two away before he takes on the bigger boys. 

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2016, 10:45:00 AM »
We need another big.  We have a ton of 2s who should play the 2. 

Rowsey I thought shot 37% from 3 or am I wrong?   That's not exactly lights-out shooting if true.    Not bad but not a true zone buster. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2016, 12:28:15 PM »
Rowsey I thought shot 37% from 3 or am I wrong?   That's not exactly lights-out shooting if true.    Not bad but not a true zone buster.

41% his first year. 38% his soph year. However he hit over a 100 threes each season. Hell have less attempts with us, so in theory his efficiency will go up.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2016, 01:21:46 PM »
41% his first year. 38% his soph year. However he hit over a 100 threes each season. Hell have less attempts with us, so in theory his efficiency will go up.
Howsey is a proven D1 player with offensive success. He has had a year to practice with the team and hopefully hone some defensive skills . I think he will do be a very nice addition next year. 
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2016, 01:21:54 PM »
I think Rowsey will not shoot a lot of threes. Wojo wants his players to drive and there are no picks or plays to get players open for threes. I think Haanif is a very good three point shooter, but almost every time he gets the ball he drives to the hoop as he is instructed to do by Wojo. Rousey and Hauser in theory will improve our three point capability, but they will not be sitting outside waiting to shoot a lot of threes unless Wojo changes his approach to the game.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2016, 01:34:39 PM »
I think Rowsey will not shoot a lot of threes. Wojo wants his players to drive and there are no picks or plays to get players open for threes. I think Haanif is a very good three point shooter, but almost every time he gets the ball he drives to the hoop as he is instructed to do by Wojo. Rousey and Hauser in theory will improve our three point capability, but they will not be sitting outside waiting to shoot a lot of threes unless Wojo changes his approach to the game.

But didn't we shoot 25 threes against X?   That's a lot of 3 point attempts vs driving as a philosophy

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2016, 01:49:22 PM »
Wojo wants his players to drive and there are no picks or plays to get players open for threes.

I think Wojo is smart enough to know that to some degree you need to take what the defense gives you.  If the D is in man to man by all means you should drive past your man in the hopes of getting to the rack or drawing a second defender that should leave someone else with a open shot.  In that case you shouldn't just settle for the 3.  However if the D is going to throw a zone at you, particularly a packed in zone, one of the best ways to pull them out of it is to hit some 3s and I assume he would want his players to do that.  The problem with the current team is that there is no player with a consistent 3 point shot.  Given the current team if I was Wojo I would discourage 3s as well.  But if I had great shooters ....  There are also times when you need to make up points fast to give yourself a chance at the end.  If you had a player who could consistently hit open 3s I would bet that they would put in plays to free the guy for an open shot.  You need to build a team that can win in a number of different ways if you are going to be really good.   

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2016, 02:31:21 PM »
Sandy can be an excellent excellent 3 point shooter, but, tends to pass off or drive in more.  Perhaps, you're right that Wojo doesn't encourage long range shooting.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2016, 07:04:29 PM »
But didn't we shoot 25 threes against X?   That's a lot of 3 point attempts vs driving as a philosophy
That is because Xavier's interior defense was so good that even Haanif could not get to the basket. We shot a lot of threes, most of them after passing the ball meaninglessly back and fourth. Duane took several deep threes. He would not have to shoot so far out, if we ran picks like Notre Dame does for their three point shooters.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2016, 09:22:19 PM »

We R Final Four

• All American

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2016, 11:19:52 PM »
Is Paul Jesperson a fair comparison for Sam?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2016, 08:24:36 AM »
That is because Xavier interior defense was so good that we could not drive and therefore had no effective offense.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2016, 08:48:48 AM »
Jesperson not an awful comparison, but I'd hope he'd better than that. Will talk to HS coach that played Merrill in regional final his senior year and is hosting event with Hauser in about 10 days tonight; will ask if remember.
GO WARRIORS!

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2016, 11:16:47 AM »
Jesperson not an awful comparison, but I'd hope he'd better than that. Will talk to HS coach that played Merrill in regional final his senior year and is hosting event with Hauser in about 10 days tonight; will ask if remember.

+1. Thanks

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2016, 04:05:00 PM »
We need another big.  We have a ton of 2s who should play the 2. 

I would add that he was the primary focus of the opposing team's defense both years.  So, he's used to the attention that being "the man" brings which should help him in moving up in competition.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2016, 04:09:51 PM »

I believe that Wojo has made the point that the % on three point shots goes up when the pass to the three point shooter comes from inside the paint.  Thus, he doesn't want to see 3 pointers getting jacked up before there has been some penetration.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2016, 04:13:23 PM »
I believe that Wojo has made the point that the % on three point shots goes up when the pass to the three point shooter comes from inside the paint.  Thus, he doesn't want to see 3 pointers getting jacked up before there has been some penetration.

its always best to go to the hole before jacking it

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2016, 07:04:45 PM »
its always best to go to the hole before jacking it

But only if you're married to the concept.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2016, 07:30:34 PM »

Paint touches?

Eye

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2016, 12:07:20 PM »
Did remember to ask, but coach said he hasn't seen Hauser enough to make a decent comparison to Jesperson. Will ask coach next time I see him after he sees Hauser a week from Saturday (playing immediately after their game in their home gym).
GO WARRIORS!

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2016, 01:51:53 PM »
The problem with Hauser is that he is skinny, frail, not quick, a little bigger than Cohen but much better shot.  How he shoots in college, still to be determined.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2016, 01:53:39 PM »
Did remember to ask, but coach said he hasn't seen Hauser enough to make a decent comparison to Jesperson. Will ask coach next time I see him after he sees Hauser a week from Saturday (playing immediately after their game in their home gym).

Appreciate it!

feedback