[Today at 10:56:50 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MUDPT
[Today at 08:30:00 AM]

Congrats Tyler by Herman Cain
[Today at 07:56:50 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by cheebs09
[May 12, 2024, 09:16:55 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette's Offense  (Read 10867 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Marquette's Offense
« on: January 17, 2015, 03:51:18 PM »
Looking at Pomeroy team ratings over the 14 seasons that his system has been up, this is the worst offensively efficient season for a Marquette team....and it not even close. MU is also last in the Big East.

MU started the season very poorly defensively and Wojo made great adjustments. What does he have to do to on the offensive end?

I have commented in various threads about my ideas, so I will refrain here, but what do others think? At this point, with three transfers who would have been the future gone, and now JJJ in the doghouse, there really is no playing for tomorrow. So, his real only option is his sticking with the upperclassmen who are limited. Thoughts?

mattyv1908

• All American
Re: Marquette's Offense
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2015, 04:01:19 PM »
Look, I've been the most vocal postgame about JJJ not playing with an eight man roster but I think it's premature to say he's in the dog house don't you?  It's only one game.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2015, 04:12:26 PM »
Look, I've been the most vocal postgame about JJJ not playing with an eight man roster but I think it's premature to say he's in the dog house don't you?  It's only one game.

Huh? He was held out of a game for his effort, was called out publically by his coach, was getting reamed in the Creighton game in public by the coaches...how is that not in the doghouse? Outhouse, maybe not.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 05:37:56 PM »
Huh? He was held out of a game for his effort, was called out publically by his coach, was getting reamed in the Creighton game in public by the coaches...how is that not in the doghouse? Outhouse, maybe not.

He put himself there. If he does not want to put forth the effort he can move on. The whining about a coach doing is job is laughable.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 06:49:01 PM »
I see this as a talent problem.

When MU has had good offensive teams that they have had guys who could make plays off the dribble. Wade, Jae  DJO, Jimmy, Jerel, Wes, DJ, Vander and even Jamil and Junior could all make plays for themselves or others off the dribble.

We have nobody who can do that consistently on this team. I think Duane will in time but because his handle isn't strong yet he defers to Derrick and Carlino.

Shooting is obviously also a big problem.

You have to have at least 1 or the other and obviously you would love both(MU final 4 team).

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 07:16:52 PM »
Need more paint touches, imo.

brandx

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 07:31:26 PM »
Simple answer. Eight players on the roster - only two of whom have played a lot of minutes before this year.

The offense is as good as could be expected given the situation.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 07:38:13 PM »
There is no problem with this team.   There is a problem with preseason expectations by some people for this team.   Anybody who looked at this team and, based on what they had accomplished at the COLLEGE level, not the HIGH SCHOOL level, and thought this was a tourney team was deluding themselves.   Wojo has done a really nice job with the hand he has been dealt.    Just not enough bullets in the gun. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 09:25:06 PM »
We won't be better on offense until next season.  Period.

Going into this season prior to the defection of Mayo, then Burton - there was a lot of reason for optimism, with the Carlino transfer.

Sadly, for whatever reasons, Wojo couldn't make it work with Mayo, Burton, Dawson, and now apparently JJJ.

I do find it slightly ridiculous to say Wojo was dealt a bad hand this season.  Wojo inherited/recruited a roster of 8 Top 100 players to start the season - Cohen, Duane, JJJ, Burton, Luke, Steve, Juan, Carlino - and add Mayo to that mix - there was PLENTY of ability and talent on this team to be an NCAA tourney team.
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2015, 09:38:36 PM »

Going into this season prior to the defection of Mayo, then Burton - there was a lot of reason for optimism, with the Carlino transfer.

Sadly, for whatever reasons, Wojo couldn't make it work with Mayo, Burton, Dawson, and now apparently JJJ.

I do find it slightly ridiculous to say Wojo was dealt a bad hand this season.  Wojo inherited/recruited a roster of 8 Top 100 players to start the season - Cohen, Duane, JJJ, Burton, Luke, Steve, Juan, Carlino - and add Mayo to that mix - there was PLENTY of ability and talent on this team to be an NCAA tourney team.

There was a reason Marquette was picked to finish near the bottom of the BE by a lot of people.  Unless you have one-and-done type talent, raw talent without experience isn't going to win a lot of basketball games.

muwarrior97

• All American
  • CALVACADE OF BRICKS
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 09:48:08 PM »
Hurts to watch our O at times, especially 2nd half performances

BTW - hope no one's watching McKay flying around Hilton for ISU, him and Burton gonna make a bunch of highlight reels next couple years and to think we have limited options in our frontcourt
#RGV #ReturnTheWarriorMindset

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 10:05:31 PM »
Nm
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 10:12:58 PM by esotericmindguy »

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 10:07:00 PM »
How do you expect to have a good offense when Juan and Derrick play over 30 minutes each. They're flat out awful on the offensive end. Hard to get mad because there is no alternative. McKay would be nice.

Another thing. Without even looking for it, there was at least 4 times Fischer had post position and he didn't get the ball. Part of the problem is derricks player sags off 5 feet off, but there seems to be no focus to get him the ball. I cannot fathom why he doesn't touch the ball nearly every time down. Drives me insane how many 3s Marquette chucks. However, if you're going to do it, why not let Fischer draw a double team and shoot wide open 3s?

And I'm not buying the defense. That zone allows wide open shots every time down. It seems to me the strategy is hope they miss..

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2015, 10:31:02 PM »
He put himself there. If he does not want to put forth the effort he can move on. The whining about a coach doing is job is laughable.

Where did I whine? None of us know what is behind the current situation, but on the surface I agree with the coach. This thread is about MU's offense and the adjustments considering the current roster situation, not JJJ's DNP, other than the fact he is getting less time.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2015, 08:53:12 AM »
Fischer will be a good offensive player, but right now is swarmed under by defenses focused on stopping him.

Duane will be a good offensive player, but right now is a bit too erratic and playing like a freshman.

Sandy and Jajuan both have good offensive potential, but right now look like young guys, which they are.

Carlino, Derrick, and Juan have been better than anyone should have expected them to look on offense. Each has had their most efficient offensive season as a collegiate player.

Steve looks like a guy who will never reach his potential because he doesn't have the legs he did as a freshman.

That's everyone. Until we get some more bodies up front to take pressure off Luke, until Duane, Sandy, and Jajuan grow up, and until we get more and better offensive options than Carlino, Derrick, and Juan, I can't see it improving. We have some shooters, but not enough to shoot us out of slumps.

What encourages me is watching those upperclassmen. That tells me that Wojo knows how to get through to guys and bring out their best. It will take time, but if he can ultimately bring the best out of Fischer, Duane, Jajuan, Sandy, Henry, Wally, Haanif, Matt, and the other numerous players we are in on for next year, I'm confident the offense will be better as we go forward.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 08:57:34 AM »

Sure, the talent was there but are/were they coachable? For some is it has been clearly questionable.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 09:03:45 AM »
Sure, the talent was there but are/were they coachable? For some is it has been clearly questionable.

Remember, there are a lot of people on this board who think that a player's problem with the coach is pretty much always the fault of the coach.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2015, 11:44:26 AM »

There was a reason Marquette was picked to finish near the bottom of the BE by a lot of people.  Unless you have one-and-done type talent, raw talent without experience isn't going to win a lot of basketball games.

Yes, preseason expectations weren't high for this MU team.  However, the year before, expectations were incredibly high - Win the Big East - with Buzz's most veteran team - yet we missed the NIT...proof of course the pre-season expectations and projections aren't frequently accurate.

This year we return a highly experienced senior PG, the only guy who isn't a Top 100 player on the roster, yet the 7 other guys all at least 2+ years into their college careers other than Cohen - and we are supposed to be awful?  Now, if Wojo were able to work it out with Todd, retain Burton - add those two guys to this team??  I just disagree with those who want to say Wojo was dealt a tough hand - he came into a program with 6 Top 100 players, (Mayo not in that mix) retained Buzz's recruit Cohen and added Carlino to make the Number 8 Top 100.  We had legit 22+ win potential with a depth chart/lineup of:

Carlino/Derrick
Todd/Duane
JJJ/Cohen
Juan/Burton
Luke/Steve
"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2015, 11:57:27 AM »
Fischer will be a good offensive player, but right now is swarmed under by defenses focused on stopping him.

Duane will be a good offensive player, but right now is a bit too erratic and playing like a freshman.

Sandy and Jajuan both have good offensive potential, but right now look like young guys, which they are.

Carlino, Derrick, and Juan have been better than anyone should have expected them to look on offense. Each has had their most efficient offensive season as a collegiate player.

Steve looks like a guy who will never reach his potential because he doesn't have the legs he did as a freshman.

That's everyone. Until we get some more bodies up front to take pressure off Luke, until Duane, Sandy, and Jajuan grow up, and until we get more and better offensive options than Carlino, Derrick, and Juan, I can't see it improving. We have some shooters, but not enough to shoot us out of slumps.

What encourages me is watching those upperclassmen. That tells me that Wojo knows how to get through to guys and bring out their best. It will take time, but if he can ultimately bring the best out of Fischer, Duane, Jajuan, Sandy, Henry, Wally, Haanif, Matt, and the other numerous players we are in on for next year, I'm confident the offense will be better as we go forward.

I'd echo most of this. You can disagree with brewcity on this, but you'll be wrong.

The one thing I would say is.. it can (and should) get better ... MU's avg ppp of 95 in the BEast is unacceptable and will rise.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2015, 12:08:21 PM »

Remember, there are a lot of people on this board who think that a player's problem with the coach is pretty much always the fault of the coach.

And a lot who believe that because a player was a top 100, that each and every one of them should pan out to all-conference players. Because zero top 100 players have ever been "busts".

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2015, 12:11:18 PM »
Yes, preseason expectations weren't high for this MU team.  However, the year before, expectations were incredibly high - Win the Big East - with Buzz's most veteran team - yet we missed the NIT...proof of course the pre-season expectations and projections aren't frequently accurate.

This year we return a highly experienced senior PG, the only guy who isn't a Top 100 player on the roster, yet the 7 other guys all at least 2+ years into their college careers other than Cohen - and we are supposed to be awful?  Now, if Wojo were able to work it out with Todd, retain Burton - add those two guys to this team??  I just disagree with those who want to say Wojo was dealt a tough hand - he came into a program with 6 Top 100 players, (Mayo not in that mix) retained Buzz's recruit Cohen and added Carlino to make the Number 8 Top 100.  We had legit 22+ win potential with a depth chart/lineup of:

Carlino/Derrick
Todd/Duane
JJJ/Cohen
Juan/Burton
Luke/Steve

So, I might be wrong, but didn't you use the preseason expectations/rankings all throughout last season and this off-season as comparable proof of how bad Buzz did last season? And now you're saying those same expectations/rankings can be wrong? And because of your sudden 180, you're attacking Wojo for this season? Weird.

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2015, 12:23:53 PM »
So, I might be wrong, but didn't you use the preseason expectations/rankings all throughout last season and this off-season as comparable proof of how bad Buzz did last season? And now you're saying those same expectations/rankings can be wrong? And because of your sudden 180, you're attacking Wojo for this season? Weird.

I know you want to immediately jump on anything I post Jesu - look at the context of the post.  Sultan used this season's preseason expectations to justify our performance thus far.  Yet, many, Sultan included, did NOT want to use last season's pre-season predictions as evidence or proof that the team greatly underachieved.  So, if you follow, there was incongruence in the initial point made, to which I responded.

If you follow, we essentially are performing to preseason expectations this season, yet drastically underachieved and missed on last year's preseason expectations.  So which way is it if we are going to use preseason expectations as a benchmark for assessing a coach:  Did Buzz blow it last year, or is Wojo underachieving this year?

Additionally, please look at the depth chart and lineup composition of what could have been, and help me understand how Wojo was dealt such a tough hand upon taking the MU job?

Lastly, Top 100 recruits have a MUCH better chance of having success at the college level than those not Top 100 - yet it guarantees nothing.  However, it is beyond reasonable to think that if you have 7 on a team, all 7 are going to be "misses."  Is our coaching staff then not to share some of the blame for not developing the skills many talent evaluators assessed as putting these kids in the Top 100 High School players for their class?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2015, 12:24:14 PM »

Carlino/Derrick
Todd/Duane
JJJ/Cohen
Juan/Burton
Luke/Steve

All last year you went on and on about how Buzz was a failure due to not meeting pre-season expectations because pre-season expectations matter.

This year you are going on and one about how Wojo should be exceeding pre-season expectations because pre-season expectations don't matter.

Got it.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2015, 12:26:02 PM »
I know you want to immediately jump on anything I post Jesu - look at the context of the post.  Sultan used this season's preseason expectations to justify our performance thus far.  Yet, many, Sultan included, did NOT want to use last season's pre-season predictions as evidence or proof that the team greatly underachieved. 

I never said last year's team didn't underachieve.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2015, 12:31:55 PM »
I know you want to immediately jump on anything I post Jesu - look at the context of the post.  Sultan used this season's preseason expectations to justify our performance thus far.  Yet, many, Sultan included, did NOT want to use last season's pre-season predictions as evidence or proof that the team greatly underachieved.  So, if you follow, there was incongruence in the initial point made, to which I responded.

If you follow, we essentially are performing to preseason expectations this season, yet drastically underachieved and missed on last year's preseason expectations.  So which way is it if we are going to use preseason expectations as a benchmark for assessing a coach:  Did Buzz blow it last year, or is Wojo underachieving this year?

Additionally, please look at the depth chart and lineup composition of what could have been, and help me understand how Wojo was dealt such a tough hand upon taking the MU job?

Lastly, Top 100 recruits have a MUCH better chance of having success at the college level than those not Top 100 - yet it guarantees nothing.  However, it is beyond reasonable to think that if you have 7 on a team, all 7 are going to be "misses."  Is our coaching staff then not to share some of the blame for not developing the skills many talent evaluators assessed as putting these kids in the Top 100 High School players for their class?

IMO, last season's pre-season predictions were wildly off. But that's just me. I do think Buzz underachieved last season, to a point. I do believe Wojo is doing about what I expected him to achieve this season.

IMO, any first year coach, in a rough transition, is going to have at least a little bit of a "tough hand."

IMO, not all players are created equal, regardless of their ranking. I think there were some definite "misses" by our prior coaching staff (as well as recruiting services). As well, I think it's gotta be tough to try and instill a new culture in players who weren't brought in under the current regime - and, by no fault of their own, some of those players will have a more difficult time adjusting than others.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2015, 12:39:50 PM »

How are they all misses? Carlino has been a consistent double digit scorer. Fischer has been a mostly solid and sometimes spectacular contributor. Cohen and Duane both look like they'll be hits.

At the other end, the jury is out on Jajuan and Deonte, who have shown themselves to be better athletes than basketball players so far, and Juan is a serviceable player but hasn't lived up to top 100 hype.

4 hits, 2 undetermined, 1 miss. The problem isn't 7 top 100 misses, it's youth and depth.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2015, 12:44:00 PM »
Top 100 rankings mean jack after a players' freshman year. We had plenty of data on all of our returning players to know about what we could expect. And it wasn't pretty. To expect more of that is unreasonable.

I don't think there is much Wojo can do to fix our offense this season. Defenses are doubling Luke and daring us to shoot. Carlino is the only one who can make a three in conference play so our opponent's best defensive guard is glued to him all game. Derrick, JjJ, and Steve don't need to be guarded on the perimeter. Duane and Juan should be guarded on the perimeter in theory but both have been poor shooters lately. This is not a recipe for success.

The only thing I can think of is playing Sandy more. I don't know if his three point shooting is a mirage or not but he's been our best outside of Carlino. Having our two best snipers on the court together more often might open up some more room for Duane, Derrick, JjJ, and Juan to slash.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2015, 12:47:39 PM »
The only thing I can think of is playing Sandy more. I don't know if his three point shooting is a mirage or not but he's been our best outside of Carlino. Having our two best snipers on the court together more often might open up some more room for Duane, Derrick, JjJ, and Juan to slash.

They tried that a bit yesterday but I am not sure it helped in the half court.  Sandy has a slow release, so his shooting only really helps when he is way out or if the play breaks down.  IMO Sandy is getting much better on the defensive side of the ball though, and clearly looks like he belongs.

mattyv1908

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2015, 01:00:52 PM »
I think the big difference between the last two years offensively is our inability to make 3's in transition.  Let's be honest, most of Buzz's teams weren't the best pure shooting teams.  The difference to me is that in transition there was always somebody prior to last season that could bury the three point shot off the fast break - or- when trailing bringing the ball up.

I think the whole 'paint touches' mantra from Buzz really had more to do with how a defense will collapse/get out of position/slow on rotation when ball pressure is applied allowing open looks.  Now Derrick is no Jerel McNeal at getting penetration but he can get himself into the lane.  The problem comes when there's either nobody spotted up for the open three or the defense doesn't respect the guy open for three.

This board has done a lot of speculation on what last year's team would have done with Vander Blue or Junior Cadougan on the roster instead of Derrick.  To me if you replaced Thomas with Carlino last year's team could've been pretty special IMO.  Nothing against Thomas, but Carlino is ten times the player that Jake was with a similar role.
Shut this board down at the opening tip.  If they win, open it back up.  If they lose, keep it shut it down until the next morning.  - Sultan of Slurpery

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2015, 01:06:31 PM »
How are they all misses? Carlino has been a consistent double digit scorer. Fischer has been a mostly solid and sometimes spectacular contributor. Cohen and Duane both look like they'll be hits.

At the other end, the jury is out on Jajuan and Deonte, who have shown themselves to be better athletes than basketball players so far, and Juan is a serviceable player but hasn't lived up to top 100 hype.

4 hits, 2 undetermined, 1 miss. The problem isn't 7 top 100 misses, it's youth and depth.

You help me make my point - To have expectations of a team with this much Top 100 talent, is not unreasonable whatsoever.  To suggest Wojo inherited a tough hand upon taking the job, is simply not true.  Quite frankly, bigger picture, Buzz inherited a MUCH worse foundation - as for what was left once the Big Three were gone - he inherited Lazar, Mo, Cooby - somehow he managed to guide that team to an NCAA berth, a .500 record in the "real Big East," and within a bounce/furious comeback by Washington who subsequently blasted New Mexico St to get to the Sweet 16.

I disagree that Burton showed himself to be a better athlete than basketball player - The problem with that premise is that Burton HAS Elite athleticism.  A rare combination of size, strength and explosiveness - so he's at an elite point with regard to athleticism.  To then contrast that athleticism with basketball performance you would have to be Elite in your production.  He only averaged 12 minutes per game last year, yet conference coaches voted him All Big East Freshman.  Shot a high percentage from everywhere.  Top 5 in the whole country in Steal Percentage.  Top MU player in Block Percentage.  Struggled with some straight up man to man guarding, but had incredible instincts.

Losing Burton was HUGE, and it is foolish that some here have tried to suggest he wasn't much of a loss.

I simply feel many are being way too lenient with regard to their expectations for Wojo.  He had a roster of 11 guys when he took the job, and lots of talent and experience on that roster.  As I posted my concern with Wojo is:  Can he connect with guys/personalities that aren't of the same ilk as him?  A team full of Steve Wojo's is not going to win at a high rate at this level.  Wojo was surrounded with elite talent at Duke, McDonald's All American's, Top 50 recruits - you have to have the elite talent to win big - can't just have a bunch of lunch pail, gritty guys.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2015, 01:32:50 PM »
Again, youth and depth. This team has too much of the former and not enough of the latter. Regardless, it's ridiculous to compare Buzz's second year on the job with Wojo's first. Compare apples to apples. Buzz inherited Marquette's best team since Al while Wojo inherited a thin roster that even Buzz seems to have been afraid to try to win with.

Maybe losing Burton will be a big blow but certainly not this year. He was ineffective for whatever reason and doesn't seem to have bought in. After losing McKay last year and Burton this year, I hope Marquette has learned their lesson regarding handlers.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2015, 02:15:09 PM »
You help me make my point - To have expectations of a team with this much Top 100 talent, is not unreasonable whatsoever.  To suggest Wojo inherited a tough hand upon taking the job, is simply not true.  Quite frankly, bigger picture, Buzz inherited a MUCH worse foundation - as for what was left once the Big Three were gone - he inherited Lazar, Mo, Cooby - somehow he managed to guide that team to an NCAA berth, a .500 record in the "real Big East," and within a bounce/furious comeback by Washington who subsequently blasted New Mexico St to get to the Sweet 16.

I disagree that Burton showed himself to be a better athlete than basketball player - The problem with that premise is that Burton HAS Elite athleticism.  A rare combination of size, strength and explosiveness - so he's at an elite point with regard to athleticism.  To then contrast that athleticism with basketball performance you would have to be Elite in your production.  He only averaged 12 minutes per game last year, yet conference coaches voted him All Big East Freshman.  Shot a high percentage from everywhere.  Top 5 in the whole country in Steal Percentage.  Top MU player in Block Percentage.  Struggled with some straight up man to man guarding, but had incredible instincts.

Losing Burton was HUGE, and it is foolish that some here have tried to suggest he wasn't much of a loss.

I simply feel many are being way too lenient with regard to their expectations for Wojo.  He had a roster of 11 guys when he took the job, and lots of talent and experience on that roster.  As I posted my concern with Wojo is:  Can he connect with guys/personalities that aren't of the same ilk as him?  A team full of Steve Wojo's is not going to win at a high rate at this level.  Wojo was surrounded with elite talent at Duke, McDonald's All American's, Top 50 recruits - you have to have the elite talent to win big - can't just have a bunch of lunch pail, gritty guys.

Here is what Wojo inherited:

Todd Mayo: A very good player who had a long history of attitude, discipline, and academic issues. Wojo wasn't unable to "work things out with him," Mayo did something colossally stupid this summer and was kicked off the team. Won't go into detail, but it was something that even Buzz would have kicked Mayo off the team for.

Deonte Burton: A very talented, athletic, and undersized forward. Deonte struggled to start the season for multiple reasons. He was playing out of position because the roster demanded it and he was dealing with a terrible loss in his personal life. Deonte has come out since the transfer and has said that he left Marquette because he needed to get away from Milwaukee, too much pain from his mother's passing. It's really hard to put this one on Wojo. 6.9 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 0.5 apg, 1.1 spg, .478 FG%, .500 3P%

Derrick Wilson: Probably the most maligned player in Marquette history. I don't need to quote his stats to you, I'm sure you are very familiar. 5.0 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 4.2 apg, 1.3 spg, .391 FG%, .071 3P% in 13-14

JaJuan Johnson: A highly hyped player who FAILED to live up to any of it. We are talking about a player who couldn't out compete Jake Thomas for minutes. 4.3 ppg, 1.1 rpg, 1.0 apg, 0.4 spg, .443 FG%, .290 3P% in 13-14

Juan Anderson: Another highly hyped player who ended up being a role player his first three season. Very solid defensively but awful on offense. 3.2 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 1.0 apg, 1.0 spg, .378 FG%, .192 3P% in 13-14

Steve Taylor Jr: A forward who showed a lot of promise as a freshman but due to injury lost a lot of his ability. He also struggled because he was forced to play the center when he is clearly a power forward. 2.5 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 0.4 apg, 03 spg, .324 FG% .154 3P%

John Dawson: A point guard who had one great game last season. Needed to transfer to Big South cellar dweller Liberty to find playing time.  2.0 ppg, 1.1 rpg, 1.0 apg, 0.1 spg, .320 FG%, .269 3P%

Sandy Cohen: A wing in the back half of the top 100 coming out of high school. Never played a second of college basketball before.

Duane Wilson: A top 100 point guard who redshirtted during the previous season. Never played a second of college basketball before.

Luke Fischer: Played as a backup center for an Indiana team that didn't make the NIT. Wasn't available to Wojo until December 16. 2.8 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 0.3 apg, 0.8 bpg, .556 FG%, 000  3P%

To summarize: Since Todd Mayo was out of Wojo's control, Wojo inherited 9 players. None of them averaged double digit points the previous season, none of them average more than 3.8 rpg, only one of them was taller than 6-7...and he wasn't available until December 16. Only one of them had shot more than 29% from three...and he only made 4 of them all season. Two of the nine had never played a second of college basketball.

How anyone could say that Wojo inherited a lot, is beyond me.
TAMU

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2015, 02:20:38 PM »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2015, 03:05:35 PM »
Here's a better way to think about expectations for this team. Let's look at what their 13-14 stats looked like.

PG: Derrick Wilson: 5.0 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 4.2 apg, 1.3 spg, 1.5 tpg, .391 FG%, .071 3P%
SG: Matt Carlino: 13.7 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 4.3 apg, 1.7 spg, 2.0 tpg, .385 FG%, .339 3P%
SF: Deonte Burton: 6.9 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 0.5 apg, 1.1 spg, 0.9 tpg, .478 FG%, .500 3P%
PF: Juan Anderson: 3.2 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 1.0 apg, 1.0 spg, 1.0 tpg, .378 FG% .192 3P%
C: Luke Fischer: 2.8 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 0.3 apg, 0.8 bpg, 0.5 tpg, .556 FG%, .000  3P% (not available to December 16)

Bench:
1: Jajuan Johnson: 4.3 ppg, 1.1 rpg, 1.0 apg, 0.4 spg, 0.5 tpg, .443 FG%, .290 3P%
2: Steve Taylor: 2.5 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 0.4 apg, 0.3 spg, 0.7 tpg, .324 FG%, .154 3P%
3: John Dawson: 2.0 ppg, 1.1 rpg, 1.0 apg, 0.1 spg, 0.7 tpg, .320 FG%, .269 3P%
4: Duane Wilson: No Data Available
5: Sandy Cohen: No Data Available

Team Stats:
40.4 points per game
19.7 rebounds per game
12.7 assist per game
437-1086 .402 FG% Matt Carlino by himself had almost as many attempts (426), as FGM by the entire team (437).
88-295 .298 3P% Matt Carlino had 60 of those 88 makes

Really, what about this lineup's production from the previous season screams that they would be a tournament team this season? The improvement that Wojo has gotten out of each of the players is nothing short of amazing. Some simply had too high of expectations going into the season.
TAMU

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2015, 03:26:09 PM »
Here is what Wojo inherited:

Todd Mayo: A very good player who had a long history of attitude, discipline, and academic issues. Wojo wasn't unable to "work things out with him," Mayo did something colossally stupid this summer and was kicked off the team. Won't go into detail, but it was something that even Buzz would have kicked Mayo off the team for.

Deonte Burton: A very talented, athletic, and undersized forward. Deonte struggled to start the season for multiple reasons. He was playing out of position because the roster demanded it and he was dealing with a terrible loss in his personal life. Deonte has come out since the transfer and has said that he left Marquette because he needed to get away from Milwaukee, too much pain from his mother's passing. It's really hard to put this one on Wojo. 6.9 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 0.5 apg, 1.1 spg, .478 FG%, .500 3P%

Derrick Wilson: Probably the most maligned player in Marquette history. I don't need to quote his stats to you, I'm sure you are very familiar. 5.0 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 4.2 apg, 1.3 spg, .391 FG%, .071 3P% in 13-14

JaJuan Johnson: A highly hyped player who FAILED to live up to any of it. We are talking about a player who couldn't out compete Jake Thomas for minutes. 4.3 ppg, 1.1 rpg, 1.0 apg, 0.4 spg, .443 FG%, .290 3P% in 13-14

Juan Anderson: Another highly hyped player who ended up being a role player his first three season. Very solid defensively but awful on offense. 3.2 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 1.0 apg, 1.0 spg, .378 FG%, .192 3P% in 13-14

Steve Taylor Jr: A forward who showed a lot of promise as a freshman but due to injury lost a lot of his ability. He also struggled because he was forced to play the center when he is clearly a power forward. 2.5 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 0.4 apg, 03 spg, .324 FG% .154 3P%

John Dawson: A point guard who had one great game last season. Needed to transfer to Big South cellar dweller Liberty to find playing time.  2.0 ppg, 1.1 rpg, 1.0 apg, 0.1 spg, .320 FG%, .269 3P%

Sandy Cohen: A wing in the back half of the top 100 coming out of high school. Never played a second of college basketball before.

Duane Wilson: A top 100 point guard who redshirtted during the previous season. Never played a second of college basketball before.

Luke Fischer: Played as a backup center for an Indiana team that didn't make the NIT. Wasn't available to Wojo until December 16. 2.8 ppg, 2.1 rpg, 0.3 apg, 0.8 bpg, .556 FG%, 000  3P%

To summarize: Since Todd Mayo was out of Wojo's control, Wojo inherited 9 players. None of them averaged double digit points the previous season, none of them average more than 3.8 rpg, only one of them was taller than 6-7...and he wasn't available until December 16. Only one of them had shot more than 29% from three...and he only made 4 of them all season. Two of the nine had never played a second of college basketball.

How anyone could say that Wojo inherited a lot, is beyond me.
nailed it

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2015, 03:30:05 PM »
Let's not forget Buzz inherited two young all conference players. He could have done a lot with Scott Christopherson and Trevor Mbakwe had they not departed. If Wojo gets blame for losing two guys that really haven't done much yet in Dawson and Burton, Buzz gets blame for losing two players that had better college careers than anyone Wojo started with.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2015, 03:39:13 PM »
Great synopsis, TAMU.   HS production means bupkes.   (unless you are Kentucky).   There was very little production at the college level.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 19, 2015, 07:49:31 AM »
To get this thread back on topic, I thought Saturday we looked way better in transition then in the half court (obviously).  The "easy" solution would be to play more uptempo, including full court press, but we are limited by bodies.  You can see Wojo is trying all of kinds of different things.  I thought in the second half, Luke was ball-screening a lot more at the top of the key (Duke ran that play very effectively against Wisconsin).  I'm sure it was to open up some driving lanes.  When Luke and Carlino are both out, we really struggle and I think that's where JJJ would help.  Could we post Juan out "wider" (I hesitate saying that on Scoop)? He seems more effective when he can drive. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2015, 08:04:45 AM »
Could we post Juan out "wider" (I hesitate saying that on Scoop)? He seems more effective when he can drive. 

I like that idea in theory, but Juan would probably ball fake eight times into a travel.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2015, 08:07:28 AM »
I like that idea in theory, but Juan would probably ball fake eight times into a travel.

Ha.  It would be so nice if he could hit that little mid-range shot consistently. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2015, 08:14:38 AM »
To get this thread back on topic, I thought Saturday we looked way better in transition then in the half court (obviously).  The "easy" solution would be to play more uptempo, including full court press, but we are limited by bodies.  You can see Wojo is trying all of kinds of different things.  I thought in the second half, Luke was ball-screening a lot more at the top of the key (Duke ran that play very effectively against Wisconsin).  I'm sure it was to open up some driving lanes.  When Luke and Carlino are both out, we really struggle and I think that's where JJJ would help.  Could we post Juan out "wider" (I hesitate saying that on Scoop)? He seems more effective when he can drive. 

Yes, MU looked better in transition than in the half court.   When MU's defense generates steals and turnovers, it creates transition opportunities.    The defense didn't turn X over in the second half, ergo, more time in the half court.     In the half court, Juan has to shoot that mid range jumper.   Duane and JJJ (when he is allowed back on the floor) need to add a pull up jumper to their games, a la Vander.   Each and every one of them have to get better at feeding the post.   And it would help if Luke added the 8-10 ft jumper to his game.