'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Philip Nolan-UConn  (Read 12669 times)

tower912

• All American
Philip Nolan-UConn
« on: April 08, 2014, 12:44:31 PM »
Was I the only one watching the championship game last night and remembering the huge debate as to whether MU/Buzz wanted this guy?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

frozena pizza

• All American
Re: Philip Nolan-UConn
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2014, 12:47:16 PM »
No.  Thought about that every time I saw him.

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 12:48:54 PM »
Thankfully at least Jeremy Lamb has already won his National Championship and moved on.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 12:52:05 PM »
IIRC, MU had Durley, (oops) and there were concerns about Nolan's academics, as well as his desire to play immediately, which everyone then understood was not going to happen at MU.    Milwaukee kid.   Thin as a rail and didn't like to bang down low.    Finally, there was a late opening that ultimately went to McKay.    But I may have some of the details wrong.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 12:54:53 PM »
Was I the only one watching the championship game last night and remembering the huge debate as to whether MU/Buzz wanted this guy?

Yes ....

"famously" he was the guy in 2011 that sat outside MU's locker room for 90 minutes while they had a team meeting following a loss to Seton Hall in Newark at the Prudential Center.  

http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=25179.0

He was going to St. Benedicts in Newark at the time.  I think that was his 4th or 5th high school (starting with Vincent in Milwaukee) and he was beleived to be a "head case" and a risk.

Remember this was around the time their were other "issues" with the team, and Montrele Clark (you can look that up yourself) so Buzz was not willing to take another "problem child."

Given all that I think we could have had him had we wanted him.  Just like Jermey Lamb (he really wanted to come to MU, buzz thought he was not that good.  So he went to uconn and was a major reason, after Kemba, that they won it all in 2011).

tower912

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 12:58:08 PM »
I remember there were whispers about character, but nothing like Monterale Clark.    He was the guy Buzz kept waiting after the Seton Hall game?    Interesting.   

frozena pizza

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 01:06:09 PM »
Yeah, there were some red flags with Nolan.  Obviously we were more comfortable with Clark, Roseboro, McMorrow, Durley, McKay...

At least Mbakwe and Maymon actually played in some games.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 02:04:26 PM »
I also think he was signed after Calhoun left, and orkawi (sp) jumped to Missouri.

They had extra spots and were going to probation so they were looking for bodies and with Calhoun out and probation coming they had few takers.

WadeATKBurton

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 02:05:24 PM »
No. He isnt any good

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2014, 02:08:59 PM »
No. He isnt any good

He's like Kaminsky .... Good now but no one thought much of him coming out of high school.  But he turned out to be a diamond in the rough.

In Milwaukee the guy was Tokoto ... His decision was broadcast live on TV.  Nolan's decision (same class) wasn't page 1 Milwaukee sentimental news.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2014, 02:21:22 PM »
Nolan was a three star #118 player in his class

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/rankings/rank-2509

So he was not a top 100 guy.

For all you that ask why didn't we get Nolan, see all the poster that don't give a SH!t if we get Satchel Pierce.  Pierce is a three star center too.

So let's not play revisionist history with Nolan.  No one cared we did not get him.  Just like no one cared Kaminsky was never interested in us or that he was going to Bucky.  He was going to amount to anything.

Big guys develop at different speed.  See our 2 star waste of a scholarship destine to be a bust we signed 4 years ago ... Some fat kid from Virginia named Devante Gardner.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2014, 02:25:32 PM »
He probably is not that good, but starts at Center on the NCAA champion. Buzz Williams dissed him. I believe that is when Buzz took a flying leap at Durley.

Hey Buzz, how did that work out.

Now come the Buzz apologists trying to cover Buzz's butt on that one too.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2014, 02:28:29 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't blame a coach for not taking a kid who needed to transfer high school 5 or 6 times before graduating.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2014, 02:30:25 PM »
He was terrible last night. He had something like 0 points, 4 fouls, and got stuffed everytime he went up for a layup.

He does have a ring though
Bring back FFP!!!

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2014, 02:33:24 PM »
Personally, I wouldn't blame a coach for not taking a kid who needed to transfer high school 5 or 6 times before graduating.
I fart sunshine and puke rainbows, and I eat Buzz Brownies all day, says the down home lonesome cowboy enthusiast.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2014, 02:39:49 PM »
He probably is not that good, but starts at Center on the NCAA champion. Buzz Williams dissed him. I believe that is when Buzz took a flying leap at Durley.

Hey Buzz, how did that work out.

Now come the Buzz apologists trying to cover Buzz's butt on that one too.

Show me your 2011 post that Buzz erred in passing on Nolan?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2014, 02:42:11 PM »
Show me your 2011 post that Buzz erred in passing on Nolan?

never said I had a 2011 post, and I do not remember if I did. You can research it though.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2014, 02:44:12 PM »
He's like Kaminsky .... Good now but no one thought much of him coming out of high school.  But he turned out to be a diamond in the rough.

In Milwaukee the guy was Tokoto ... His decision was broadcast live on TV.  Nolan's decision (same class) wasn't page 1 Milwaukee sentimental news.

Every UConn fan I know (and I know a lot) thinks he is terrible.  He can defend the post, but mostly he is 5 fouls.  He did a great job defending against Florida, though he accumulated the fouls quickly.  UConn's centers set screens, play defense, and catch and dunk.  He is fine at the first two of those things.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2014, 02:44:57 PM »
never said I had a 2011 post, and I do not remember if I did. You can research it though.

Buzz has tons of things to pick on, passing on Nolan is not one of them.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2014, 03:06:13 PM by Heisenberg »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2014, 03:01:14 PM »
Every UConn fan I know (and I know a lot) thinks he is terrible.  He can defend the post, but mostly he is 5 fouls.  He did a great job defending against Florida, though he accumulated the fouls quickly.  UConn's centers set screens, play defense, and catch and dunk.  He is fine at the first two of those things.

But he got minutes on a national championship team.    That is how he will be remembered.   

Durley:   I recognize that many people currently discount anything Buzz ever said, but regarding Durley, after Otule got injured and the talk started about a 6th year for him, Buzz told the Durley's that he was never going to see the floor until his third year at MU.   Perhaps there was a better fit elsewhere for him.    Durley went somewhere else.    But it was the truth.   12-13 would have been his red-shirt year.   13-14, he never would have gotten off of the bench.    No minutes to be had with Oxtule.     So, this coming season will be the first that MU feels the impact of Aaron going elsewhere.    Just like it will be the first where MU feels the absence of Nolan.   Or McKay.   

chapman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2014, 03:05:40 PM »
Am I missing something?  His career numbers are abysmal and his performance last night wasn't any better.  Just because UConn won the title doesn't mean all their players are future NBA All-Stars and all the chicks at their school are smoking hot.

Freeport Warrior

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2014, 03:47:51 PM »
I remember seeing him in HS and he played outside, which I thought was odd -- but he could knock down the occasional 3. I never thought he would be a true post player, but his body has filled out and who knows, he is only a sophomore. I would trade him for Juan in a second.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2014, 03:50:28 PM »
Willie, you sit and complain about Derrick only getting 5 points, almost 5 assists, and 4 rebounds a game, and now you're complaining that Buzz didn't land a player who averaged 3 points, 2 rebounds, and less than half of an assist per game?

You are one interesting dude.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2014, 04:25:33 PM »
Willie, you sit and complain about Derrick only getting 5 points, almost 5 assists, and 4 rebounds a game, and now you're complaining that Buzz didn't land a player who averaged 3 points, 2 rebounds, and less than half of an assist per game?

You are one interesting dude.
And you sir cannot interpret. Derrick should not be playing more than 15 minutes a game. He is a back up. I am certainly not the only one that feels that way, so pick your arguments with those many that feel that way. Derrick is a good kid. I have said that many times. So if that is complaining. it is what it is. I have not complained about not landing Nolan. What I did say is he sure as hell would be better for MU than Durley was. Buzz dissed the kid. That is typical Buzz. I could care less that we landed Nolan, but would take him over Durley. UConn sure got something out of him.

Does that clear it up for you.

Man, the Buzz apologists just love to deflect everything.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2014, 05:17:17 PM »
And you sir cannot interpret. Derrick should not be playing more than 15 minutes a game. He is a back up. I am certainly not the only one that feels that way, so pick your arguments with those many that feel that way. Derrick is a good kid. I have said that many times. So if that is complaining. it is what it is. I have not complained about not landing Nolan. What I did say is he sure as hell would be better for MU than Durley was. Buzz dissed the kid. That is typical Buzz. I could care less that we landed Nolan, but would take him over Durley. UConn sure got something out of him.

Does that clear it up for you.

Man, the Buzz apologists just love to deflect everything.

Scoop Language Alert

Criticize Willie in any way = Buzz Apologist/Slurper.

See Willie never ever ever makes idiotic or inconsistent statements.  No all us mouth-breathers are slurping Buzz and incorrectly THINK Willie is wrong. 

Buzz should have known the 118th best player two years ago, that went to five high schools in 4 years was going to be the starting center on the national championship team.  That was an easy call and Buzz should be blasted for passing on such an obvious talent.

We just need to get out lips off Buzz's arse and will "get it"  Right Willie? 

feedback