Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: No complaints here  (Read 5465 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: No complaints here
« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2009, 03:10:45 PM »
Please, Navin, as a senior, and BE POY caliber player, McNeal needs to show up better than today.  He was awful today.  I expect him to bring it every game, and he didn't today.  Here's hoping he plays AT LEAST his average on Wednesday. 

Sheesh. Are you people kidding me? Did you forget to use teal?

He had a bad game shooting the ball, for pete's sake. Burn him in effigy, why don't you?
You guys are high if you think he had a bad game for lack of effort. His shots weren't falling. It happens. Just ask Stephen Curry.
A little clue for you ... a player doesn't get 19 shots (plus to the line several occasions) against an aggressive defense like Louisville's without "bringing it".
Seriously, I'm flabbergasted by the insipidity of some of these posts.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2009, 03:14:31 PM »
Sure he can have a bad day...against DePaul. 

Big players play big in big games.  How did the head to head with the other Lowe's senior class award candidate go?  Something like near triple double and victory to 3/19 shooting and 2/5 from the stripe?

At least we shot more free throws than the "ville so that will stop the whining about the reffing for a game.

TJ

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2009, 03:19:39 PM »
At least we shot more free throws than the "ville so that will stop the whining about the reffing for a game.
Honestly, I think I see more whining about people talking about refs than I see actual whining about refs.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2009, 03:27:47 PM »
Sure he can have a bad day...against DePaul. 

Big players play big in big games.  How did the head to head with the other Lowe's senior class award candidate go?  Something like near triple double and victory to 3/19 shooting and 2/5 from the stripe?

Yeah. McNeal practically vanishes in big games.

12/6/08 vs Wisconsin: 26 points, 7 rebounds
1/1/09 vs Villanova: 25 points, 7 assists
1/26/09 at Notre Dame: 27 points
2/25 vs UConn: 26 points, 5 assists
3/22/08 vs Stanford: 30 points, 8 rebounds
3/13/08 vs Notre Dane: 28 points, 6 rebounds, 6 assists
2/15/08 vs Pitt: 17 points,  6 rebounds
11/21/07 vs Duke: 17 points, 6 renounds, 6 steals

Choker.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 01, 2009, 03:38:51 PM »
I remember they also said that about another former Marquette star.  The guy shot 3-13 in a big game against a #2 Louisville team about, oh, 6 years ago. 

Wonder what happened to him after that?  ?-(
The General has taken on a new command.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2009, 03:43:17 PM »
3/13 would have been an improvement over the 3/19 we saw today and might have won the game for us. 

Wonder what happened to him?  You can't seriously be equating McNeal to Wade? 

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2009, 03:47:34 PM »
No, I'm not.  I'm just pointing out that stars sometimes lay up clunkers in big games.  And more often than not, they'll come up big again after that.  See 11 days later when said NBA star drove a 19 point comeback on the road. 

Had that moving screen on Lazar not been called, we might be talking right now how big Jerel came up at the finish.  But to say that Jerel doesn't show up in big games is just BS.
The General has taken on a new command.

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2009, 03:48:33 PM »
3/13 would have been an improvement over the 3/19 we saw today and might have won the game for us.

Wow great math....doesn't seem to me 3/13 would equal more makes than 3/19...hater

Pardner

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2009, 03:52:52 PM »
MU won the battle of tunrover rate, offensive rebounding % and FT rate...but lost on eFG.  Buzz/Jerel adjusted at halftime:  Jerel only took 6 of his 19 attempts in the second half where Lazar and Jimmy stepped up as they were dormant in the 1st half.  Wes had five TO's, 4 in the 2nd as he tried to dribble into their zone.  With DJ out, our offense has to adjust yet...Mo needs to force the play more, JM needs to force play less, and the support crew needs to do more to find their shots now.  It will come.

UL was the second best defensive team in the nation coming in.  Give UL the credit...they shut us down forcing us to run our offense on the perimeter.  Rel is a great player.  Great players have bad games.  I guarantee this will be gnawing at him as he is a winner--hates to lose.  Look out Pitt...Jerel is gonna be on fire.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 03:56:22 PM by Pardner »

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2009, 03:54:28 PM »
I said "might" have won the game, Einstein.  

If McNeal had shot the same percentage as Wade did when he went 3/13 (23%) instead of the less than 16% he shot today and one or two of them were threes, well, do I have to draw you a picture?

Maybe if McNeal had shot only 13 times someone else could have scored the decisive points for us as well.

warriorfred

• All American
« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2009, 04:52:53 PM »
Marquette played better than expected, and Buzz did a pretty good job of rotating among the bench.  Unfortunately, a loss is still a loss.  A couple of other random thoughts:

-  On the whole, I believe Buzz has done an admirable job of coaching this team.  If there is one complaint, and it has been raised a few times on this Board, it is that he never really substituted and played the same 7 all year.  Cubillan looked lost at times, perhaps he would have contributed more if he had more playing time this year.

-  While I always thought Dominic James was a very good player, and made Marquette a better team, I realize now he was a great player.  I was wrong, and completely underestimated how important he was to the team.

-  Strangely, I am not as down on Marquette as I was after the double loss on Wednesday.  There are still three games (at a minimum) before the tournament, and there is enough time formulate new rotations.  This could still be a sweet sixteen team.  A few breaks and favorable match-ups and the Final Four is a possibility.  Improbable, but not as impossible as last Wednesday.

I'm holding off on my judgments until after the BET.

DJO's Pump Fake

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2009, 04:56:02 PM »
Take a deep breath wizzy

I think, as well as everyone else on here posting against you, your overreacting.....

He was trying to get a feel for the game without his pg who has started every game with him (sans 1), not by his side.

They will right the ship....Go Buzz and Go MU

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2009, 07:47:45 PM »
I agree. I think they have already righted the ship and I am optimistic, as  I have said in many posts since DJ's injury. 

It just is a shame that they were offered this game on a platter and did not take advantage. 

Rant over.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2009, 08:18:40 PM »
MU won the battle of tunrover rate, offensive rebounding % and FT rate...but lost on eFG.  Buzz/Jerel adjusted at halftime:  Jerel only took 6 of his 19 attempts in the second half where Lazar and Jimmy stepped up as they were dormant in the 1st half.  Wes had five TO's, 4 in the 2nd as he tried to dribble into their zone.  With DJ out, our offense has to adjust yet...Mo needs to force the play more, JM needs to force play less, and the support crew needs to do more to find their shots now.  It will come.

UL was the second best defensive team in the nation coming in.  Give UL the credit...they shut us down forcing us to run our offense on the perimeter.  Rel is a great player.  Great players have bad games.  I guarantee this will be gnawing at him as he is a winner--hates to lose.  Look out Pitt...Jerel is gonna be on fire.

Having not seen the game, but reading loads of threads and looking at the box score, this seems to summarize the game for me. Thanks, Pardner. Sounds like Louisville didn't take advantage of us not being our normal selves, and we didn't capitalize on their down day.

A couple of questions though:
--it looks like a we a great job of rebounding, but did our poor shooting basically wipe that out?
--Cubillan is in for 11 minutes but doesn't even take a shot? Talk about gun shy! If he's gonna be playing, he needs to be shooting.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2009, 08:22:25 PM »
You can't just "right the ship", whatever that means.   We lost a player more talented than anyone who could replace him.     We are worse than before he went down and we will be until the end of the year. 

mugrack

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2009, 08:39:47 PM »
In it until the end W/O DJ, nice effort.  Ville defense had a nice game against McNeal keying on him big time.