'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: No complaints here  (Read 5466 times)

NavinRJohnson

• All American
No complaints here
« on: March 01, 2009, 01:07:20 PM »
In a game that was a likely loss before James injury, they were right there. They had to adjust to new/different personnel packages, a hostile environment, and a terrible shooting night from McNeal against a team that may well win the Big East, not to mention a foul that wasn't called on a three at the end and they were within one possession under a minute to play. Would James have been the difference? Maybe. Maybe not. This one was in the loss column before the injury and that's where it ended up. So be it.

Great job by Buzz getting guys in and out. They showed me something. One more probable loss to get some of the kinks out, and then the winning has to start again. C'mon ND!

Coach Norman Dale

• Starter
Re: No complaints here
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 01:10:45 PM »
I agree.  If you told me we would lose on the road to L'ville by 4 w/o DJ, I would have considered that within the realm of expecations.  If you would have added the Jerel would have a really OFF day as well, I would say that such an outcome shows a really strong effort by the team under extra-tough circumstances.  That is what I saw today.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 01:11:51 PM »
Really?  

We didn't lose this game because DJ was out.

Cubie and Acker were fine.  

The press was ineffective against us.  

We rebounded like demons.  

I'll bet we won the turnover war.

Our coach did a great job.  

Where was our all BE player and our FT shooting?  

Blew it.

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 01:13:57 PM »
I hope the committee was watching that one. Hung right with a likely 2 seed at their place.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 01:16:47 PM »
Really?  

We didn't lose this game because DJ was out.

Cubie and Acker were fine.  

The press was ineffective against us.  

We rebounded like demons.  

I'll bet we won the turnover war.

Our coach did a great job.  

Blew it.

The press slowed us down and wore us out so it was very effective today.  It hurt not having DJ because we couldn't punish them with easy buckets once we broke the press.

mu35577

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 01:18:23 PM »
DJ woulda helped but we still shoulda won. Im mad about Jerel and Acker's 3 point shots with 1:45 to go and down 4. We shoulda drove to the lane and got a quick 2 and then strecthed the game out and make them make FT's which we woulda won then. This one's on jerel...if he has a BAD game we win...he had a horrible game. great job by buzz getting them ready and great hustle and play by the boys today. too bad we couldn't steal one
"Give 'em Hell, Al"

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 01:19:19 PM »
The press slowed us down and wore us out so it was very effective today.  It hurt not having DJ because we couldn't punish them with easy buckets once we broke the press.

That's probably true. Acker's inability to finish is a big difference.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 01:19:35 PM »
Seemed like so many in and outs.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 01:20:19 PM »
Plus DJ penetrated a defense giving us different looks on O, usually better looks.   I'm not going to be giddy or down about today's game.  

I don't play the moral victory game even if we lost our starting point guard.  Still there are things I like that I've seen out of this team and things I haven't liked mainly on the d end.

We should just rename our 1-3-1 zone the "Give them an Open Three from the Elbow or Dunk" Defense.  

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 01:22:55 PM »
Seemed like so many in and outs.

Mo had 2 looks like that.  Had those gone down, we win.

Yes, I know I'm captain obvious here.
The General has taken on a new command.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 01:24:27 PM »
Baloney.  

3 for 19 shooting and 2 for 5 from the line?  With halfway decent game from McNeal had the game won.  Another missed opportunity.  Congrats to the rest of the team for a tremendous effort. And to Buzz as well.

AlumKCof93

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 01:24:38 PM »
Lville did not play well.  We didn't take advantage.  Missed opportunity.  Nothing to feel good after this one.
"Yes, Dinnertime!  The perfect break between work and drunk" - Homer J. Simpson

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 01:25:10 PM »

Blew it.

Made more FTs than UL shot.  Can't really complain.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 01:27:28 PM »
Baloney.  

3 for 19 shooting and 2 for 5 from the line?  With halfway decent game from McNeal had the game won.  Another missed opportunity.  Congrats to the rest of the team for a tremendous effort. And to Buzz as well.

Attention Jerel McNeal...In the world of ATWizJr, you are not allowed to have an off night. That is all.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 01:28:28 PM »
No but you can run back on defense when you are playing bad on the offensive end.  That's my only problem with Jerel today. 

ErickJD08

• All American
    • Professor Crass
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2009, 01:28:43 PM »
Lville did not play well.  We didn't take advantage.  Missed opportunity.  Nothing to feel good after this one.

I don't feel too bad about this one.  We were expected to lose.  And I think the sky is not falling.  
Wanna learn how to say "@#(@# (@*" in a dozen languages... go to Professor Crass www.professorcrass.com

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2009, 01:29:09 PM »

+1

Plus Acker does not initiate ANY offense whatsoever from the point in the half court.  He didn't turn the ball over, which against Louisville is a very good thing, on the other hand he just dribbled around and threw the ball to another perimeter guy on the halfcourt.  DJ is constantly probing for driving lanes, forcing the defense to deal with him.  Just don't get that kind of thing from Acker.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

jdiamon2

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2009, 01:29:43 PM »

I agree here.  LVille did not play well, our defense was only average and they couldn't put the ball in the hoop.  They don't usually have that many turnovers.

Missed opportunity, seemed like Marquette didn't want it.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2009, 01:30:50 PM »
I don't feel too bad about this one.  We were expected to lose.  And I think the sky is not falling.  

At the very least, we've managed to cobble together a pretty solid lean-to.  :D
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2009, 01:31:04 PM »

Missed opportunity, seemed like Marquette didn't want it.

LOL! Were we watching the same game?

TVDirector

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2009, 01:32:27 PM »
jerel has anywhere near his normal performance and this is likely a win.
dude has an off-game-- whaddya gonna do.

he'll learn that when that's his fate during a game, he focuses on his D and getting others the ball- then it'll all come back for him.

our inability to use the bench earlier in the year was evident--- not from effort, but from overall team flow.

ack and cubs played hard and pretty well considering.

give this rotation a few more games together, and we will be fine.

tough loss.
but not expected.
guys represented well.

go get 'em  Buzzzzz

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2009, 01:34:32 PM »
Taking more free throws than UL made is not the standard.  Making the front ends of one and ones would have helped. 

Louisville gave us a chance by playing poorly (we had something to do with that) and we did not take advantage.  Unfortunate.

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2009, 02:02:20 PM »
Please, Navin, as a senior, and BE POY caliber player, McNeal needs to show up better than today.  He was awful today.  I expect him to bring it every game, and he didn't today.  Here's hoping he plays AT LEAST his average on Wednesday. 

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2009, 02:08:17 PM »
Please, Navin, as a senior, and BE POY caliber player, McNeal needs to show up better than today.  He was awful today.  I expect him to bring it every game, and he didn't today.  Here's hoping he plays AT LEAST his average on Wednesday. 

Well I appreciate you confirming what I said...McNeal is not allowed a bad game.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2009, 02:11:40 PM »
Tough crowd. To expect that there isn't going to be some readjustment period after losing the PG they have played every minute with for the past 4 years is unrealistic. Yes, it would have been nice if Jerel had even an avg or slightly below avg shooting day, but I can't say it is surprising to think he probably put a little more pressure on himself with DJ out. Obviously, they are going to have to learn quickly to adjust given the circumstances, but the nice thing about this group is that you know they'll do everything  they can.

feedback