'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kostas Antetokounmpo  (Read 83395 times)

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Kostas Antetokounmpo
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2016, 01:10:30 PM »
Well that kid is entitled to his opinion too . I appreciate him offering it.

The fact is he is 6-10 and has 7 1.75 wingspan . Matt Heldt is 6-8/9 ish  and if he were normal height he would be an average player also.

If Grandma had balls she would be Grandpa.

But Matt Heldt is 6'10" and plays like he's 6'10", which makes him more than an average player.  Kostas is 6'10" and plays like he's 6'1", which makes him below an average player.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2016, 01:12:38 PM »
Well that kid is entitled to his opinion too . I appreciate him offering it.

The fact is he is 6-10 and has 7 1.75 wingspan . Matt Heldt is 6-8/9 ish  and if he were normal height he would be an average player also.

If Grandma had balls she would be Grandpa.

And if Kostas had basketball skills, he'd be a basketball player.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2016, 01:16:27 PM »
Wow, forgot about Mbao. Looked up what he did at Marshall. It was... uh... not great:

2013-14 (SENIOR):Played in 22 of 33 games ... Made 1 start on the year on senior night ... In his final season at Marshall, the senior center finished the year averaging 0.6 points per game and 1.5 rebounds per game ... On Dec. 17 versus Alice Lloyd he recorded a career high in rebounds with 14 ... Statistically, led the team with the highest field goal percentage at 77.8 percent.

This means he had 19 rebounds total in da utter 21 games, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2016, 01:25:54 PM »
But Matt Heldt is 6'10" and plays like he's 6'10", which makes him more than an average player.  Kostas is 6'10" and plays like he's 6'1", which makes him below an average player.
I think if someone is 6-10 with the skills of a 6-1 guard, they are a pretty formidable player that presents a lot of match up difficulties. If someone is 6-10 and is blocking shot after shot he is playing like a 6-10 player. Kostas presents the whole package. If we were willing to take a flyer on Heldt why would we not be willing to bring in Kostas? I like Heldt a lot and hope he has the ability to give us 12-15 good minutes this year. It will be important to our success if he does.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2016, 01:33:46 PM »
I think if someone is 6-10 with the skills of a 6-1 guard, they are a pretty formidable player that presents a lot of match up difficulties. If someone is 6-10 and is blocking shot after shot he is playing like a 6-10 player. Kostas presents the whole package. If we were willing to take a flyer on Heldt why would we not be willing to bring in Kostas? I like Heldt a lot and hope he has the ability to give us 12-15 good minutes this year. It will be important to our success if he does.

No.  He plays like he's 6'1".  If we want to give his 6'1" guard skillset an age it would be about a 7th grader.  The guy shot 20% from 3...from the high school 3 point line...against 6'2" defenders...as a 6'10" kid.  He shot below 60% from the free throw line...as a wing...

The kid is NOT good at basketball.  It's not hard to understand this.  Talking about how we need size is pointless in the discussion with Kostas, because he doesn't play with any size whatsoever.

Kostas presents an empty package.  He doesn't have strength to bang down low, he doesn't have skill to play on the perimeter.  Maybe he should consider high jump like Walter.  He certainly would show more potential for a D1 scholarship in that sport than in basketball.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2016, 01:43:27 PM »
No.  He plays like he's 6'1".  If we want to give his 6'1" guard skillset an age it would be about a 7th grader.  The guy shot 20% from 3...from the high school 3 point line...against 6'2" defenders...as a 6'10" kid.  He shot below 60% from the free throw line...as a wing...

The kid is NOT good at basketball.  It's not hard to understand this.  Talking about how we need size is pointless in the discussion with Kostas, because he doesn't play with any size whatsoever.

Kostas presents an empty package.  He doesn't have strength to bang down low, he doesn't have skill to play on the perimeter.  Maybe he should consider high jump like Walter.  He certainly would show more potential for a D1 scholarship in that sport than in basketball.
You have presented the bear case extremely well. I represent the bull case. Obviously if he were a consensus pick he would be gone by now. There is risk involved but I believe there to be considerable upside reward. I see the risk reward as very attractive. Throw in the ancillary benefits of the close knit family being supportive it becomes a no brainer to me.  We are talking our 13th  spot  on a team with plenty of capable players who are going to be scrambling for minutes as it is already.
            ---Al McGuire

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2016, 01:47:30 PM »
You have presented the bear case extremely well. I represent the bull case. Obviously if he were a consensus pick he would be gone by now. There is risk involved but I believe there to be considerable upside reward. I see the risk reward as very attractive. Throw in the ancillary benefits of the close knit family being supportive it becomes a no brainer to me.  We are talking our 13th  spot  on a team with plenty of capable players who are going to be scrambling for minutes as it is already.

He's a high school senior.  The spring signing period is now over.  Even the speculative HS kids are gone by now.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

brandx

« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2016, 01:49:14 PM »
And if Kostas had basketball skills, he'd be a basketball player.

I've seen him several times. He's tall and athletic, but I always wondered when he was going to do something to make me think he was a player.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2016, 02:03:36 PM »
I think it is a stretch to say he is not good at basketball.  This tape of his senior season just came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVI3XotSzWI&feature=youtu.be

Yes it is a highlight reel and should be taken with a grain of salt as all highlight reels should be. However, there are many different basketball skills being demonstrated. I am sorry but the notion he cannot play is just not supportable.

I didn't say he couldn't play. I said he's not very good.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #84 on: May 20, 2016, 02:38:02 PM »
I'm sorry.  This board is becoming silly.  Show me anything that suggests Mboa was even a Top 1000 recruit.  The kid had never played basketball.

Actually he was ranked in the top 300 by 247 composite IIRC
TAMU

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #85 on: May 20, 2016, 04:18:11 PM »
Fun fact ...

If Antetokounmpo married NBC's veteran Olympic/baseball announcer, he'd be Kostas Costas.

How is that a fact? Why would he be the woman in that relationship?

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #86 on: May 20, 2016, 04:43:07 PM »

Yeah, that's pretty insulting to women. He wouldn't make UConn

Edit -this should not be teal.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #87 on: May 20, 2016, 06:57:56 PM »

Guess you haven't seen him on a bball court, hey?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #88 on: May 20, 2016, 10:00:47 PM »

I wouldn't have gotten the wild wails of laughter throughout Scoopdom had my punchline been ... Bob Antetokounmpo.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #89 on: May 20, 2016, 10:17:12 PM »
Breaking News Alert.

The Purdue message board says Marquette has come calling for Kostas. They are getting nervous that they might lose him.

https://purdue.forums.rivals.com/threads/kostas.94236/page-4
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #90 on: May 20, 2016, 10:56:02 PM »
Breaking News Alert.

The Purdue message board says Marquette has come calling for Kostas. They are getting nervous that they might lose him.

My guess is that the Purdue guy probaly looked at kostas' 247 page and saw we were mentioned
TAMU

Wojo'sMojo

• All American
Re: Kostas Antetokounmp
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2016, 12:34:27 AM »
Breaking News Alert.

I really hope we pursue him now. Give him a redshirt his freshman year and see if he can gain weight and improve...if he doesn't, get rid of him and keep recruiting like he won't be part of the future anyways...it's all upside for MU. I really like his potential.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2016, 06:35:25 AM »
I really hope we pursue him now. Give him a redshirt his freshman year and see if he can gain weight and improve...if he doesn't, get rid of him and keep recruiting

Woj likes your thinking

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2016, 07:43:36 AM »
I really hope we pursue him now. Give him a redshirt his freshman year and see if he can gain weight and improve... show commitment to the program... if he doesn't, get rid of him help him relocate to a program more appropriate to his commitment level and keep recruiting like he won't be part of the future anyways...it's all upside for MU. I really like his potential.

FIFY

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2016, 08:41:03 AM »
Clearly you're a big kostas fan. And you clearly believe in your ability to spot top talent. So if kostas never demonstrates this considerable upside at a high D1 level, will you leave this board?

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #95 on: May 21, 2016, 09:30:57 AM »
If we are throwing out names that may develop after a year or two, how about:

Karim Ezzedine; 6'9" 216 stretch 4 with handles. 

BossplayaOtto

• All American
« Reply #96 on: May 21, 2016, 09:44:17 AM »
Clearly you're a big kostas fan. And you clearly believe in your ability to spot top talent. So if kostas never demonstrates this considerable upside at a high D1 level, will you leave this board?

I support this analysis.

vacinator

• Walk-On
« Reply #97 on: May 21, 2016, 10:45:08 AM »
I predict Kostas develops at least as good as the open roster spots MU has carried the last couple of years and the open roster spot they are positioned to carry this year. 

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #98 on: May 21, 2016, 02:00:33 PM »
I predict Kostas develops at least as good as the open roster spots MU has carried the last couple of years and the open roster spot they are positioned to carry this year.

This.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #99 on: May 21, 2016, 03:22:05 PM »
Breaking News Alert.

Whenever I look at other boards I really appreciate scoop, the site itself and the posters are top notch (really, no teal), the Purdue board is summed up in that peeing gif which is currently on their site

feedback