'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Badger hate  (Read 27442 times)

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
  • "Seat belts On! We're Going For A Ride!"
Re: Badger hate
« Reply #100 on: April 06, 2014, 03:43:35 PM »
As are the NY Times, CBS, ABC, PBS, NBC and others.  Looks like we'll have to rely on Pravda

Al Jazeera America will be our source.

brandx

« Reply #101 on: April 06, 2014, 04:23:46 PM »
2004 was another b.s. draw for UW- that year they did WAY less and were placed in Milwaukee.  I was at their first game against Richmond, and it was very similar to this year's Oregon game, they were behind and not showing much, then they started as small run, the crowd got very loud and involved and it snowballed.  

If only the NCAA was nicer to Marquette, we'd have more banners. Happy now? Exactly the kind of whining that makes UW fans feel superior to MU fans.

Name me a sport where the better team doesn't get an advantage. That WHY you play the regular season.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #102 on: April 06, 2014, 04:37:57 PM »
For a rivalry to exist, both schools would have to feel the same about each other. Hate to inform y'all, but most Badgers don't give no chit 'bout MU. Just sayin', ain't no point in gettin' your thong in a bunch, 'cuz it's largely one sided.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #103 on: April 06, 2014, 04:41:49 PM »
For a rivalry to exist, both schools would have to feel the same about each other. Hate to inform y'all, but most Badgers don't give no chit 'bout MU. Just sayin', ain't no point in gettin' your thong in a bunch, 'cuz it's largely one sided.

For people who don't give no chit about Marquette, they sure do discuss Marquette a lot on their message boards and on Twitter.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #104 on: April 06, 2014, 05:35:06 PM »
4ever

You are correct. It has been years since UW has considered us a major rival. Since their athletic program has become a national brand we have fallen down the pecking order to Badger fans. Years ago we both considered each other hated rivals, today only MU fans have that feeling.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #105 on: April 06, 2014, 05:43:30 PM »
4ever

You are correct. It has been years since UW has considered us a major rival. Since their athletic program has become a national brand we have fallen down the pecking order to Badger fans. Years ago we both considered each other hated rivals, today only MU fans have that feeling.

Well, ten of about 18 people I'd call good friends graduated from Madison within the last 3 years, and they don't agree with you at all.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #106 on: April 06, 2014, 05:49:17 PM »
MUeagle

Exactly. Back in the day 18 out of 18 would have felt that way. Sports is too spread out these days and UW has bigger fish to fry these days. Sure, when they play us they might hate us, but it is not 365 hate. You need to dislike your rival 12 months a year to make it intense.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #107 on: April 06, 2014, 05:53:29 PM »
MUeagle

Exactly. Back in the day 18 out of 18 would have felt that way. Sports is too spread out these days and UW has bigger fish to fry these days. Sure, when they play us they might hate us, but it is not 365 hate. You need to dislike your rival 12 months a year to make it intense.

Perhaps they should play twice a year then or have an all Wisconsin tournament and then schedule the one and one as normal.

1st round.   Wisconsin vs. GB
                 MU  vs. UWM

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #108 on: April 06, 2014, 06:23:38 PM »
Perhaps they should play twice a year then or have an all Wisconsin tournament and then schedule the one and one as normal.

1st round.   Wisconsin vs. GB
                 MU  vs. UWM

Don't see that happening anytime soon.
"Every day ends with a Tums festival!"

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #109 on: April 06, 2014, 06:37:17 PM »
Good man!

Grew up in Michigan and have lots of family connections to the school.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #110 on: April 06, 2014, 06:38:04 PM »
Born and raised in Wisconsin.  Strong preference for Warrior hoops since 5th grade (around 1970-71).  Always a Badger FB fan, since their was no other college FB team to root for.  As a kid, I rooted for UW hoops when they weren't playing MU.  Got a sense of the rivalry when Al jumped on the scorers table after Maurice Lucas hit the bomb for the win (8th grade?)

I didn't realize I had to hate the Badgers and the Domers until I arrived at MU.

Hate I did in this order:  1) ND   2)DePaul  3) UW.  

ND hatred was way more intense than the others.  DP had a top 5 ranking then.

UW is not so much about the players or the coach.  It is about not wanting to take crap from your friends and co-workers for the rest of the year.  It is about RPI and recruiting.  It is about the UW River Falls knuckleheads.  It was always way more important to beat Big East teams.    

brandx

« Reply #111 on: April 06, 2014, 06:44:59 PM »
Born and raised in Wisconsin.  Strong preference for Warrior hoops since 5th grade (around 1970-71).  Always a Badger FB fan, since their was no other college FB team to root for.  As a kid, I rooted for UW hoops when they weren't playing MU.  Got a sense of the rivalry when Al jumped on the scorers table after Maurice Lucas hit the bomb for the win (8th grade?)

I didn't realize I had to hate the Badgers and the Domers until I arrived at MU.

Hate I did in this order:  1) ND   2)DePaul  3) UW.  

ND hatred was way more intense than the others.  DP had a top 5 ranking then.

UW is not so much about the players or the coach.  It is about not wanting to take crap from your friends and co-workers for the rest of the year.  It is about RPI and recruiting.  It is about the UW River Falls knuckleheads.  It was always way more important to beat Big East teams.    

Similar here. Grew up in Wisconsin as UW fan. My dad took me to Milwaukee to see Pete Maravich play in '68 I believe, and that is when I became an MU fan. Loved "Brute Force" and the way he played. Been MU fan ever since.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #112 on: April 06, 2014, 09:50:34 PM »
This sums mine up. The Walmart Badger Fans in this state are horrid to deal with. I was so unnatural carnal knowledgeing happy when Jackson's last shot rimmed out.

A few reasons I dislike UW:

-  Fan Base - Primarily those that went to UW Oshkosh, but jump on the bandwagon.
-  The Assumption - If you grew up in Wisconsin, you like UW.
-  The Assumption 2.0 - If you grew up in Wisconsin, you should attend UW (my sister was a national merit scholar and did not receive any local scholarships, among many reasons, was that she did not apply to UW).

I could go, but their fan base is particularly obnoxious.

raul

• Starter
« Reply #113 on: April 06, 2014, 11:13:04 PM »
I like the Badgers the same way I like the NY Yankees, I sure like watching them lose. Its very entertaining.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #114 on: April 06, 2014, 11:19:43 PM »
For people who don't give no chit about Marquette, they sure do discuss Marquette a lot on their message boards and on Twitter.

Exactly. Spare me the crap that UW doesn't care about MU. Vadger fans are on this site constantly...and they always have multiple MU threads on their own sites.

One-sided, my a*s.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #115 on: April 06, 2014, 11:22:37 PM »
Exactly. Spare me the crap that UW doesn't care about MU. Vadger fans are on this site constantly...and they always have multiple MU threads on their own sites.

One-sided, my a*s.

It really isn't fair concerning Vadger fans being on here during a game.  Since there offense is so slow, they should have no problem getting 2-3 Muscoop posts per possession, while an uptempo MU team is about .3 posts per possession.  How are we supposed to contend with that?

Tums Festival

• All American
« Reply #116 on: April 07, 2014, 08:55:32 AM »

If that's the case, then who is Becky's biggest basketball rival? Or their biggest football rival? No clear answer.

Groin_pull

• All American
« Reply #117 on: April 07, 2014, 09:07:31 AM »

This is the same tired played-out crap that Vadger fans love to spew. Pretend there's no rivalry because UW is so clearly superior.

Transparent and weak.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #118 on: April 07, 2014, 09:21:47 AM »

All evidence I've seen, online, and with my relationships with many, many, friends who went to UW, points to the contrary

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #119 on: April 07, 2014, 09:33:01 AM »
All evidence I've seen, online, and with my relationships with many, many, friends who went to UW, points to the contrary

It's not a heated rivalry unless you're speaking with the die hard's from each camp.  A significant amount of people seem to root for both programs in some shape or form.  Wisconsin isn't a sports nation divided.  I would think that in order to tip the scales and escalate it to a more partisan affair, you would have to get two coaches that get under people's skin.  Perhaps, if Wojo stole a recruit, this could end up being the first shot fired in a bloody civil war and ignite the rivalry to epic proportions.  Bo Ryan doesn't come off like that and Wojo hasn't indicated that he's going to rip the rug underneath Bo in recruiting, so I think the rivalry will stay fairly calm for most.  But... for the Diehards, the Dogs of War howl into the night.   

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #120 on: April 07, 2014, 09:33:07 AM »
Cant stand the Rodents. Im not even Wisconsin born. Born and raised in Chicago but after Notre Dame and maybe Ohio State and Duke during the Scheyer years, ive hated the Badgers more than any other them. Dont know why, just the way it has always been.

Though with that being said. Went to a NU football game at Camp Randall this year and with the exception of one prick (who really ruined the experience) all the other fans were decent people. Theyre better football fans then bball but still would never cheer for them.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #121 on: April 07, 2014, 09:44:14 AM »
It's not a heated rivalry unless you're speaking with the die hard's from each camp.  A significant amount of people seem to root for both programs in some shape or form.  Wisconsin isn't a sports nation divided.  I would think that in order to tip the scales and escalate it to a more partisan affair, you would have to get two coaches that get under people's skin.  Perhaps, if Wojo stole a recruit, this could end up being the first shot fired in a bloody civil war and ignite the rivalry to epic proportions.  Bo Ryan doesn't come off like that and Wojo hasn't indicated that he's going to rip the rug underneath Bo in recruiting, so I think the rivalry will stay fairly calm for most.  But... for the Diehards, the Dogs of War howl into the night.    

This actually happened. See: Buzz Williams, Vander Blue.

I do think there is a fresh start with Wojo, and most Badger fans will give him a season or two before making a judgment. Just as when UW finally gets a new coach, I will loathe him nowhere near as much as I do Bo, at least for a little while (he has to earn my contempt). But there was a lot of hatred from UW under the Crean and Buzz regimes.

MikeDeanesDarkGlasses

• All American
« Reply #122 on: April 07, 2014, 09:50:03 AM »
This actually happened. See: Buzz Williams, Vander Blue.

I do think there is a fresh start with Wojo, and most Badger fans will give him a season or two before making a judgment. Just as when UW finally gets a new coach, I will loathe him nowhere near as much as I do Bo, at least for a little while (he has to earn my contempt). But there was a lot of hatred from UW under the Crean and Buzz regimes.

I see your point.  To me, a deep rivalry is when you get people who don't follow the sport/teams much like the majority of women, and have them choosing sides.  That, I believe, is the tipping point for full blown war. 

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #123 on: April 07, 2014, 09:55:17 AM »
I see your point.  To me, a deep rivalry is when you get people who don't follow the sport/teams much like the majority of women, and have them choosing sides.  That, I believe, is the tipping point for full blown war.  

Yup, its always the women who start the wars. Keefe....cue Israeli women...

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #124 on: April 07, 2014, 10:05:51 AM »
Just gonna leave this right here-

feedback