collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: World Cup Schedule  (Read 35012 times)

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
Re: World Cup Schedule
« Reply #225 on: July 09, 2018, 08:23:37 AM »
Three Lions just topped the British charts today 22 years after originally becoming number one.

Wonder if this is the biggest gap between number one appearances.

Hard to beat The Loco-Motion that went top 5 in 1962, 1974 and 1988. Only the 2nd song to go #1 by two different bands (coincidentally written by the same 2 that wrote Loco-Motion).

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #226 on: July 09, 2018, 08:55:44 AM »
Hard to beat The Loco-Motion that went top 5 in 1962, 1974 and 1988. Only the 2nd song to go #1 by two different bands (coincidentally written by the same 2 that wrote Loco-Motion).

That was by three different bands though. This is the same song, same band. It would be like the original Macarena going to number one right now.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #227 on: July 09, 2018, 09:36:41 AM »
Cheers.

Just put a couple of bets on today. Put $20 on Belgium, for really good value for them at 15-1.

Took a punt on Croatia with $5 at 30-1. Really like their team, especially that midfield.

Don't think either of them win, but thought they were good value bets. No such thing as sure bets on football, Germany for years ago was about as close as you get.

So, are you going to hedge or let it ride?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #228 on: July 09, 2018, 09:48:33 AM »
It's been a crazy turnaround for Croatia.  After losing to Turkey, in qualifying, they had to go to Ukraine in what was essentially a play-off game.  After winning that 1-0, they still only finished second in their group (behind Iceland and their Viking clap) and because of that, they had to win a two legged playoff against Greece, king of the underdog role (see Euro 2004).  That was just to make it to Russia, and everyone knows about the run they've been on since.  Crazy to think that they almost didn't even make it, just goes to show the unpredictability of soccer.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #229 on: July 09, 2018, 10:25:18 AM »
If I were guessing right now, I'd say Belgium over Croatia in the final. That probably means England will topple France. Belgium has played the most attractive style to me and are better at getting organized on the break than anyone else. I think their game with France should be a really fun affair and I'd put my money on whoever wins that to lift the Cup.

On the other side, I think Croatia's combination of size and attacking skill will be a bit too much for England. They've played big, unskilled teams and won. They've played small, skilled teams and won. They haven't played anyone that offers both. Croatia has the size to challenge their setpieces and the midfield to go at England in the final third.

Either way, I think Chitown will be winning some money.

Off topic on England...the one other song I think is worth listening to is the other 1998 song, "Vindaloo" by Fat Les. It's just the right mix of how bizarre English football fans are. The video is just odd and amusing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_3NpGVJB_o

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #230 on: July 09, 2018, 10:34:11 AM »
If I were guessing right now, I'd say Belgium over Croatia in the final. That probably means England will topple France. Belgium has played the most attractive style to me and are better at getting organized on the break than anyone else. I think their game with France should be a really fun affair and I'd put my money on whoever wins that to lift the Cup.

On the other side, I think Croatia's combination of size and attacking skill will be a bit too much for England. They've played big, unskilled teams and won. They've played small, skilled teams and won. They haven't played anyone that offers both. Croatia has the size to challenge their setpieces and the midfield to go at England in the final third.

Either way, I think Chitown will be winning some money.

Off topic on England...the one other song I think is worth listening to is the other 1998 song, "Vindaloo" by Fat Les. It's just the right mix of how bizarre English football fans are. The video is just odd and amusing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_3NpGVJB_o

If they had meet a week ago, I'd probably take Croatia, but coming off two straight 120 minute games is extremely difficult, especially the way everyone seemed to be cramping up and getting hurt in extra time.  I think there's a very real chance that they just run out of gas.  England didn't have nearly as demanding of a game against Sweden so I'd give them the slight edge.  Agree that whoever wins will likely lose to Belgium or France though.
I'll stick with my opinion on Gold.  He'll be in foul trouble within the first eight minutes.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #231 on: July 09, 2018, 11:37:00 AM »
If they had meet a week ago, I'd probably take Croatia, but coming off two straight 120 minute games is extremely difficult, especially the way everyone seemed to be cramping up and getting hurt in extra time.  I think there's a very real chance that they just run out of gas.  England didn't have nearly as demanding of a game against Sweden so I'd give them the slight edge.  Agree that whoever wins will likely lose to Belgium or France though.

That's a very good point. Though I'm not sure anything would be more amusing than to see England go out on penalties to a team that just played back to back penalty shootouts.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #232 on: July 09, 2018, 11:42:27 AM »
So, are you going to hedge or let it ride?

Letting it ride. Only in for $25, if it was more I'd consider hedging.

Wonder what a bet on a Croatia/Belgium final woulda got me.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #233 on: July 10, 2018, 04:14:35 PM »
Not that France didn't earn it, but that last 20 minutes was really poorly reffed. Belgium should've had 3-4 more free kicks from good positions and the time wasting was bad long before the ref finally booked Mbappe.

From the point when the incorrect Hazard call on the edge of the box at around the 75 minute mark, the ref just lost all control. Felt like he was suddenly drunk.

On the whole, France was the better team. Belgium had some stretches but couldn't string enough together. Deserved win, but what should've been a fun final 20 minutes was just poor because the ref lost his mind.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #234 on: July 10, 2018, 05:45:23 PM »
One of the more boring games of the knockout stage thus far. This World Cup had been fantastic, hope it doesn't end with a whimper.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #235 on: July 10, 2018, 06:53:25 PM »
One of the more boring games of the knockout stage thus far. This World Cup had been fantastic, hope it doesn't end with a whimper.

Did you miss the multiple amazing saves by both goalies in this game?

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #236 on: July 10, 2018, 07:18:05 PM »
Did you miss the multiple amazing saves by both goalies in this game?

Lloris had a couple jaw droppers. Amazing performance

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #237 on: July 10, 2018, 07:58:35 PM »
What a pass by Mbappe...too bad Giroud didn't finish

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #238 on: July 10, 2018, 10:09:09 PM »
What a pass by Mbappe...too bad Giroud didn't finish

rough tournament for Giroud...0-10 shots on goal.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #239 on: July 11, 2018, 10:45:14 AM »

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #240 on: July 12, 2018, 10:58:33 AM »
rough tournament for Giroud...0-10 shots on goal.

He hasn't scored but Griezmann and, most importantly, Mbappe are nowhere near their level of performance in this tournament without Giroud on the field.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #241 on: July 12, 2018, 04:35:06 PM »
Breaking News!!!

CROATIA IS WEARING THE CHECKERBOARDS ON SUNDAY!!!!

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #242 on: July 12, 2018, 04:58:28 PM »
Breaking News!!!

CROATIA IS WEARING THE CHECKERBOARDS ON SUNDAY!!!!

+10000, it is a proven fact those are the best uniforms of any sports team.  Proven fact because it is my opinion.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #243 on: July 13, 2018, 11:40:36 AM »
Pretty good summary of Fox’s coverage, although with an unnecessary jab at Mr. Fellaini: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/13/fox-sports-world-cup-coverage-soccer-criticism

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #244 on: July 13, 2018, 12:36:14 PM »
Pretty good summary of Fox’s coverage, although with an unnecessary jab at Mr. Fellaini: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/13/fox-sports-world-cup-coverage-soccer-criticism

Wait people actually watch the pre/post game crap and care enough to write articles on it?  It is much more enjoyable to watch the game for the game.  Turn it on when it starts, get snacks at halftime, and turn it off when it is over.  That is for any stations coverage, not just Fox.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #245 on: July 13, 2018, 12:45:16 PM »
Wait people actually watch the pre/post game crap and care enough to write articles on it?  It is much more enjoyable to watch the game for the game.  Turn it on when it starts, get snacks at halftime, and turn it off when it is over.  That is for any stations coverage, not just Fox.

You've clearly never seen Rebecca Lowe then.

In all seriousness though.  NBCs halftime and post-game analysis has always been very good.  Fox, not so much. 

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #246 on: July 13, 2018, 12:45:29 PM »

Pre- and post-game bullsh1ttery is a distinctly American phenomenon. When I’ve been abroad watching televised games in England and France, there’s an emphasis on real analysis and less on manufactured narratives and hot takes.

NWarsh

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #247 on: July 13, 2018, 03:48:07 PM »

In all seriousness though.  NBCs halftime and post-game analysis has always been very good.  Fox, not so much.

Ehh, I guess for me, I really do not care what some random people have to say about what I just watched.  I can decipher that for myself.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #248 on: July 13, 2018, 06:14:32 PM »

Lets not disrespect Kate Abdo either  8-)  She's actually been quite good.  I love Stu Holden, he's excellent paired with John Strong, but the rest has been poor.  I like Rob Stone historically, but he's been bland, and the rest of the crew hasn't done much of note.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #249 on: July 13, 2018, 11:22:41 PM »
Doesn't really apply to you guys but it really made me appreciate the likes of Gary Lineker, Ian Wright, Gabby Logan and hell, even Paul Merson.