collapse

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MUDPT
[May 04, 2024, 10:05:13 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[May 04, 2024, 09:36:37 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Nukem2
[May 04, 2024, 01:57:07 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by MU82
[May 03, 2024, 05:21:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: World Cup Schedule  (Read 34569 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: World Cup Schedule
« Reply #150 on: June 29, 2018, 06:50:27 AM »
No. The same tackle in two games could be handled with a card or without a card. In this case we are punishing a team with elimination based on subjective interpretation.  With drawing lots, that is not the case. 

I completely disagree. Games are in part determined by subjectivity all the time. It’s odd but I don’t see better options.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #151 on: June 29, 2018, 06:59:36 AM »
I completely disagree. Games are in part determined by subjectivity all the time. It’s odd but I don’t see better options.

I heard an interesting option.  Head to head penalty kicks.

Sure, there would be some logistics to figure out but at least this settles it on the field, as opposed to yellow cards or drawing lots.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #152 on: June 29, 2018, 07:02:12 AM »
You could have penalty kicks after all draws. They would only come into play when it comes down to the head-to-head tiebreak.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #153 on: June 29, 2018, 07:43:24 AM »
Uruguay over France
Brazil over Belgium*
Spain over Croatia*
England over Sweden

Brazil over Uruguay
Spain over England

Brazil over Spain

*Two games where I’m really tempted to take the upset

You must not do well in March Madness pools.  The two teams you wavered on in the quarters were your two finalists?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #154 on: June 29, 2018, 08:25:30 AM »
You must not do well in March Madness pools.  The two teams you wavered on in the quarters were your two finalists?

Because the quarterfinals opponents are arguably better than the semifinalists. It’s all about the match ups.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #155 on: June 29, 2018, 08:26:18 AM »
Considering the way play has gone taking Brasil and Spain to advance would be considered selecting the upset. Belgium and Croatia have been the two most impressive countries in this tournament.

Agree about Belgium and Croatia, although I'll add Uruguay to the list of impressive teams thus far.  Only team with three clean sheets, Both Suarez and Cavani are finding their form, and although he won't win it because of the position he plays, Godin has been the most impressive player at the World Cup IMO.

As for predictions, this is as open as I can remember in a long time and I think that's a good thing.  As noted, Belgium, Croatia and Uruguay are at the top of their form.  Its hard to look past teams with as much raw talent as Brazil, Spain, France, even England.  If you have someone as good as Messi or Ronaldo, you always have a shot.  I don't think all 16 remaining teams have a shot at winning it all, but there are only 3, or 4 teams that it would surprise me if they made the semi's.

Also, anyone that watches Sweden, that is exactly how I want the US to play.  Extremely hard working, extremely focused, extremely organized.  They're not going to give anything away cheap.  You may beat them, but you know that they're going to fight for 90 minutes and you're going to have to earn everything you get.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #156 on: June 29, 2018, 08:37:09 AM »
I'm fine with the Fair Play points being a 6th or 7th tiebreaker. It's not idea, but that's why it's a ways down the list. My issue is Japan putting their trust in Colombia's defense rather than themselves. If Senegal scores in the last 15 minutes, Japan is out. If that game was already over, I would still hate the tactic but accept it. This was gross.

Agree with this.  It's such a rare occurrence that there is no need to adjust the rule (at least until expansion and 3 team groups).  I didn't like what Japan did, but I understand it.  No matter how bad they lose to Belgium, their tournament will be considered a success, if they hadn't made it out of the group, it would be considered a failure.  Now if some of the bigger names started doing this, I would address it then, but a lot of countries would rather go home early than play that style.

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #157 on: June 29, 2018, 10:42:33 AM »
This is odd. You accept it as a valid tactic to advance. Yet since it didn't happen in the manner you prefer, it is seen as unseemly.

Valid tactic. Annoying tactic. What puts it over the top for me is the added element of Japan doing this when their fortunes were still up in the air. If Colombia/Senegal was over, and Japan knew a 1-0 loss puts them through, that would be one thing. Doing it when one Senegalese shot hundreds of miles away could end Japan's tournament was something else to me.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #158 on: June 29, 2018, 11:26:35 AM »

There are other options. As Twellman suggested, why not goals from open play as a measurement? Why not result against the group winner as a measurement? Under the current system if you have the misfortune of having that clown Turpin officiate your match you're assured of heading home since he books every other tackle.

Valid tactic. Annoying tactic. What puts it over the top for me is the added element of Japan doing this when their fortunes were still up in the air. If Colombia/Senegal was over, and Japan knew a 1-0 loss puts them through, that would be one thing. Doing it when one Senegalese shot hundreds of miles away could end Japan's tournament was something else to me.

No argument from me that it was risky and for that I could understand criticism of Japan. But I wouldn't go so far as to call it shameless or gross that this was the path Japan decided to follow. Many ways to skin a cat.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #159 on: June 29, 2018, 11:38:37 AM »
There are other options. As Twellman suggested, why not goals from open play as a measurement? Why not result against the group winner as a measurement? Under the current system if you have the misfortune of having that clown Turpin officiate your match you're assured of heading home since he books every other tackle.

No argument from me that it was risky and for that I could understand criticism of Japan. But I wouldn't go so far as to call it shameless or gross that this was the path Japan decided to follow. Many ways to skin a cat.

I'd be all for goals from open play.  With VAR teams are game planning differently.  Significantly less diving, which is good, but some teams are playing to get a penalty, rather than a goal from open play.  Any contact in the box, you go down, because VAR will confirm that there was contact, and you'll get the penalty.  I also don't agree with some of the handballs that have been given in the box, but that's less a VAR problem, and more a problem that can be solved by tweaking the rules regarding handballs.  All this culminates in the most penalties in a World Cup ever.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #160 on: June 29, 2018, 02:18:55 PM »
Belgium and Croatia have been the two most impressive countries in this tournament. 

I agree, Belgium especially. Hard to take much from Belgium/England when neither were very motivated, but the Belgians have looked dangerous consistently going forward and have a strong defense. I also like that they got the win they didn't need and go into the "harder" side of the draw.

I'm not sure it's really harder, though. Brazil was kind of meh the whole group stage. Sweden looked the better team, and I'd certainly rate the Swiss over Mexico right now. And by the time you get to the semis, there should be no easy draws.

Be interested to see what Argentina does. They may not deserve to be here, but still have Messi. It would be hilarious if they ended up in the semis with a shot to win it.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #161 on: June 29, 2018, 02:25:31 PM »
I'd be all for goals from open play.  With VAR teams are game planning differently.  Significantly less diving, which is good, but some teams are playing to get a penalty, rather than a goal from open play.  Any contact in the box, you go down, because VAR will confirm that there was contact, and you'll get the penalty.  I also don't agree with some of the handballs that have been given in the box, but that's less a VAR problem, and more a problem that can be solved by tweaking the rules regarding handballs.  All this culminates in the most penalties in a World Cup ever.

How would open play be defined? Strictly penalties? What about direct free kicks? Corners? Penalty saves that are put in on a rebound? Or the more elaborate set pieces like some of England's efforts this tournament?

I agree that the discipline system is at best questionable and VAR has changed everything. It definitely needs a fix before 2022.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #162 on: June 29, 2018, 02:47:50 PM »
How would open play be defined? Strictly penalties? What about direct free kicks? Corners? Penalty saves that are put in on a rebound? Or the more elaborate set pieces like some of England's efforts this tournament?

I agree that the discipline system is at best questionable and VAR has changed everything. It definitely needs a fix before 2022.

I would say everything that is not directly from the penalty spot would be classified as open play.  Direct kicks, set pieces, even penalty saves put in on a rebound.  I would say that Costa Rica goal, which was technically classified as an own goal, should be classified as from the penalty spot.  Its tough to fault the keeper for that.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #163 on: June 29, 2018, 07:21:19 PM »
Saturday, June 30
France vs. Argentina (in Kazan), 9 a.m. on FOX
Uruguay vs. Portugal (in Sochi), 1 p.m. on FOX

Sunday, July 1
Spain vs. Russia (in Moscow), 9 a.m. on FOX
Croatia vs. Denmark (in Nizhny Novgorod), 1 p.m. on FOX

Monday, July 2
Brazil vs. Mexico (in Samara), 9 a.m. on FOX
Belgium vs. Japan (in Rostov-on-Don), 1 p.m. on FOX

Tuesday, July 3
Sweden vs. Switzerland (in Saint Petersburg), 9 a.m. on FS1
Colombia vs. England (in Moscow), 1 p.m. on FOX
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #164 on: June 30, 2018, 10:56:25 AM »
Two teams that have shown basically nothing?  Agree to disagree.  Argentina has been horrible and I think France could run over them if they play with any sort of life.  But France would be on the outside looking in if they weren't in a cakewalk group.  They've played insanely cautious and conservative, which is pathetic given their talent and the style of play they normally represent.  I think they are probably top-4 most talented in the Cup, and have a good manager, but I haven't seen more than a fleeting flash of it, even understanding the strategy of group play.  That certainly hasn't held back Belgium.

Not exactly a master class in defending,  but in terms of pure entertainment value, that game will be tough to top.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #165 on: July 01, 2018, 03:52:29 PM »
That was great. Russia had no business going through but Spain sure didn't do themselves any favors.

Denmark showed that you can't win the World Cup on the back of just two players.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #166 on: July 01, 2018, 04:08:12 PM »
Spain had 1,000+ completed passes and only an own goal to show for it. Firing your coach right before the tournament is pretty stupid.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #167 on: July 02, 2018, 09:20:05 AM »
I hate games being decided by "Penalty Kicks".  Win the game on the field.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #168 on: July 02, 2018, 10:51:32 AM »
I'll give Mexico credit, they're consistent. Seven straight exits at the round of 16.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #169 on: July 02, 2018, 02:54:26 PM »
The best half of the World Cup this year. Belgium with last minute winner.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #170 on: July 02, 2018, 02:56:57 PM »
Fallaini and Chadli. Of all the players...

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #171 on: July 02, 2018, 02:57:17 PM »
The best half of the World Cup this year. Belgium with last minute winner.

100% agree.  Also love the fact that there hasn't been a bad knockout game yet.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #172 on: July 02, 2018, 02:58:03 PM »
That was incredible. Come from 2-0 down to win in regulation, in the 4th of 4 minutes of added time. Unreal. What a game. Moment was reminiscent of Donovan vs Algeria.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #173 on: July 02, 2018, 03:05:27 PM »
How interesting that just enough mysterious extra time was added so Belgium could score.

I'm neither a soccer fan -- a friend visiting from out of town had the game on and he called me in to see a replay of the winning goal -- nor a conspiracy theorist.

But if I were, I might have fun with this one.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #174 on: July 02, 2018, 03:06:50 PM »
How interesting that just enough mysterious extra time was added so Belgium could score.

I'm neither a soccer fan -- a friend visiting from out of town had the game on and he called me in to see a replay of the winning goal -- nor a conspiracy theorist.

But if I were, I might have fun with this one.

General rule is 30 seconds added for each goal, and stoppage time for the second half is never less than 3 minutes. No conspiracy here.

feedback