collapse

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 09:00:07 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: World Cup Schedule  (Read 34572 times)

Its DJOver

• All American
Re: World Cup Schedule
« Reply #125 on: June 27, 2018, 10:59:41 AM »
The Germans are going home after finishing bottom of their group.  Those South Korean players are now national heroes in Mexico, who looked absolutely awful today.

Joachim Low just got added to the list of potential new managers for the US although I hope they stay away.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #126 on: June 27, 2018, 11:16:23 AM »
Germany finished third...but yeah.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #127 on: June 27, 2018, 11:19:51 AM »

Both Germany and South Korea finished with 3 points, but Korea's goal difference was even while the Germans finished -2, Germany finished 4th.

Strangely enough, Mexico finished with a worse goal difference than Korea.  That's how bad they were today.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #128 on: June 27, 2018, 11:21:19 AM »

#FakeNews

The tiebreaker puts them behind South Korea. (Although 3rd place tiebreakers are irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #129 on: June 27, 2018, 11:27:37 AM »
Yep. My bad. Thought they had 4 points.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #130 on: June 27, 2018, 12:02:23 PM »
Those dang Mexicans, always sneaking through on someone else's hard work. US team 4 years ago, South Koreans this year.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #131 on: June 27, 2018, 12:06:25 PM »
Those dang Mexicans, always sneaking through on someone else's hard work. US team 4 years ago, South Koreans this year.

What makes helping them out 4 years ago even worse, is that they had the chance to return the favor in October '17, but they lost to Honduras, which coupled with our loss to T+T knocked us out.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #132 on: June 27, 2018, 02:55:04 PM »
Really hope Colombia can somehow win their group. That side of the bracket is shameful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #133 on: June 27, 2018, 04:17:55 PM »
Really hope Colombia can somehow win their group. That side of the bracket is shameful.

Makes you wonder if England or Belgium would prefer finishing as runners up. Either would be arguably favored in their first game then would have to play Sweden or Switzerland.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #134 on: June 27, 2018, 04:22:16 PM »
Makes you wonder if England or Belgium would prefer finishing as runners up. Either would be arguably favored in their first game then would have to play Sweden or Switzerland.

I wouldn't overlook Sweden, they've collected quite a few scalps to get this far. Finished ahead of the Dutch in qualifying, to knock them out. Then drew Italy in a two legged playoff, which they won. Yes they lost to Germany, but they played very well in that game and they just won the group. Not as much talent as other major contenders, but they may be the most organized team at the tournament.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #135 on: June 27, 2018, 04:30:50 PM »
All-in-all, CONCACAF has not shown much this time around.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #136 on: June 27, 2018, 04:40:05 PM »
All-in-all, CONCACAF has not shown much this time around.

Only going to be two or three non European or South American teams in the final 16. Ten will be from Europe alone.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #137 on: June 28, 2018, 09:19:19 AM »
Caught a massive, massive break.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #138 on: June 28, 2018, 10:34:40 AM »
Mina needs to go somewhere where he will get playing time. He's been brilliant these past two games.

Also, can we talk about Valderrama wearing his own jersey?

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #139 on: June 28, 2018, 10:55:43 AM »
Japan deserves to get their asses handed to them next match for that crap. Play the damn game.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #140 on: June 28, 2018, 10:57:20 AM »
Good call on Columbia being able to get the job done Chitown. Senegal will feel disappointed, after blowing the lead against Japan twice, they get eliminated by fair play, that's a tough way to go home.  Worst performance by CAF in a long time, possibly ever.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #141 on: June 28, 2018, 10:59:18 AM »
Good call on Columbia being able to get the job done Chitown. Senegal will feel disappointed, after blowing the lead against Japan twice, they get eliminated by fair play, that's a tough way to go home.  Worst performance by CAF in a long time, possibly ever.

If we're being completely honest Senegal probably played a little better through the entire match and deserved a goal.

That being said, I'm certainly not going to complain. Vamos Colombia.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #142 on: June 28, 2018, 10:59:45 AM »
Japan deserves to get their asses handed to them next match for that crap. Play the damn game.

Both Belgium and England have more than enough talent to service your request.  Scoreline might not reflect it, but I would expect either to go through comfortably.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #143 on: June 28, 2018, 02:24:40 PM »
If we're being completely honest Senegal probably played a little better through the entire match and deserved a goal.

That being said, I'm certainly not going to complain. Vamos Colombia.

Agreed.  Their finishing let them down, and a few unlucky breaks.  Mane slipping on a dangerous free kick position, one or two mini bounces that took the ball off a waiting foot in front of goal, and of course the dastardly VAR.  Fairly unlucky for one of the more entertaining teams of the WC.  Their pace on the wings was great.

Their manager being completely honest and transparent about it after the match made it even worse.  Telling his sub to "take no risks, avoid anything that could be a card".  I get playing out a draw, but Ive never seen more standing over the ball in a match.  Shameful.  Unfortunate cause I normally enjoy their play and they have my second favorite kit in the tourney, after Nigeria.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #144 on: June 28, 2018, 06:31:33 PM »
Their manager being completely honest and transparent about it after the match made it even worse.  Telling his sub to "take no risks, avoid anything that could be a card".  I get playing out a draw, but Ive never seen more standing over the ball in a match.  Shameful.  Unfortunate cause I normally enjoy their play and they have my second favorite kit in the tourney, after Nigeria.

I can't blame a program for understanding the rules and abiding by them to advance.

The fault here lies with discipline being used as a tie-breaker. It is a FIFA issue, not a Japan issue. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #145 on: June 28, 2018, 06:36:02 PM »
I can't blame a program for understanding the rules and abiding by them to advance.

The fault here lies with discipline being used as a tie-breaker. It is a FIFA issue, not a Japan issue. 

But is that better than drawing lots?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #146 on: June 28, 2018, 07:02:45 PM »
Uruguay over France
Brazil over Belgium*
Spain over Croatia*
England over Sweden

Brazil over Uruguay
Spain over England

Brazil over Spain

*Two games where I’m really tempted to take the upset

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #147 on: June 28, 2018, 07:37:43 PM »

I'm fine with the Fair Play points being a 6th or 7th tiebreaker. It's not idea, but that's why it's a ways down the list. My issue is Japan putting their trust in Colombia's defense rather than themselves. If Senegal scores in the last 15 minutes, Japan is out. If that game was already over, I would still hate the tactic but accept it. This was gross.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #148 on: June 28, 2018, 09:56:01 PM »
But is that better than drawing lots?

No. The same tackle in two games could be handled with a card or without a card. In this case we are punishing a team with elimination based on subjective interpretation.  With drawing lots, that is not the case. 

I'm fine with the Fair Play points being a 6th or 7th tiebreaker. It's not idea, but that's why it's a ways down the list. My issue is Japan putting their trust in Colombia's defense rather than themselves. If Senegal scores in the last 15 minutes, Japan is out. If that game was already over, I would still hate the tactic but accept it. This was gross.

This is odd. You accept it as a valid tactic to advance. Yet since it didn't happen in the manner you prefer, it is seen as unseemly.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #149 on: June 28, 2018, 09:59:05 PM »
Uruguay over France
Brazil over Belgium*
Spain over Croatia*
England over Sweden

Brazil over Uruguay
Spain over England

Brazil over Spain

*Two games where I’m really tempted to take the upset

Considering the way play has gone taking Brasil and Spain to advance would be considered selecting the upset. Belgium and Croatia have been the two most impressive countries in this tournament. 

feedback