* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by brewcity77
[Today at 09:00:07 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:11:08 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by TSmith34, Inc.
[May 04, 2024, 08:28:28 PM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Marquette NBA Thread by Uncle Rico
[May 04, 2024, 07:00:37 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Doc Rivers....  (Read 6786 times)

muhoops1

• All American
Doc Rivers....
« on: March 26, 2007, 11:12:23 AM »
If Crean leaves (which I do not believe he will) would MU pursue a guy like Rivers?  He loves MU, can coach, has name recognition, could probably compete for top players in Chicago AND out east.  Just a thought...

CTWarrior

• All American
Re: Doc Rivers....
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 11:31:33 AM »
There are a few million Celtic fans that would disagree with the part about him being a good coach, I think.  I don't like ex-NBA players as college coaches.  It is too much work being a college coach.  Recruiting 365 days/year,, glad-handing alumni, etc.  Your average well-to-do ex-NBAer doesn't need that aggravation.  Besides, I think Doc was born to be a TV guy.  Articulate, knowledgeable, with a good sense of humor. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 11:41:36 AM »
I'm sure Rivers would love to pack up his family and move from his gated Orlando community to Milwaukee.

He probably doesn't even attend Marquette's Board of Trustees meetings.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 12:14:09 PM »
I'm sure Rivers would love to pack up his family and move from his gated Orlando community to Milwaukee.

He probably doesn't even attend Marquette's Board of Trustees meetings.

Doc lives in Winter Park actually.  His oldest daughther, Callie, might be the best high school volleyball player in the nation -- she's going to Florida in the fall.  His youngest son Austin is in 8th grade.....supposedly a better prospect than Jeremiah.  If Doc were to move, seems like this would be the year to do it.  After all, he's just playing out the string in Boston.

BTW, why the smear re: the BOT meetings?  Being a volunteer is tough these days

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 01:09:10 PM »
Doc lives in Winter Park actually.  His oldest daughther, Callie, might be the best high school volleyball player in the nation -- she's going to Florida in the fall.  His youngest son Austin is in 8th grade.....supposedly a better prospect than Jeremiah.  If Doc were to move, seems like this would be the year to do it.  After all, he's just playing out the string in Boston.

BTW, why the smear re: the BOT meetings?  Being a volunteer is tough these days

It's not a smear at all. I like Doc Rivers a lot. I was just pointing out that asking a guy to visit Milwaukee, much less move there, from a plush location in Florida is a stretch.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 01:14:06 PM »
Perhaps he was refering to your BOT slight.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 01:18:22 PM »
Perhaps he was refering to your BOT slight.

yes, that was the point I was trying to make.

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 01:26:45 PM »

It's not a smear at all. I like Doc Rivers a lot. I was just pointing out that asking a guy to visit Milwaukee, much less move there, from a plush location in Florida is a stretch.

1.  Have you actually BEEN to Florida?  In the summer?  Or hurricane season?  Have you driven on Florida roads?  It sure sounds like you've basing your opinion based on some plush resort you vacationed at and now you think the whole state is just one big plush resort.  

2.  Since when is asking a guy to take a two to three hour flight considered a stretch?  

BTW, here's an article that describes Rivers' thougts on travel:
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2006/10/01/family_doc/

I hardly think he'd find quarterly trips to Milwaukee a "stretch".

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 01:32:33 PM »

1.  Have you actually BEEN to Florida?  In the summer?  Or hurricane season?  Have you driven on Florida roads?  It sure sounds like you've basing your opinion based on some plush resort you vacationed at and now you think the whole state is just one big plush resort.  

2.  Since when is asking a guy to take a two to three hour flight considered a stretch?  

BTW, here's an article that describes Rivers' thougts on travel:
http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2006/10/01/family_doc/

I hardly think he'd find quarterly trips to Milwaukee a "stretch".

No, SJS you're the only person that's ever been to Florida. And I look forward to reading your in-depth report on the condition of the roads and the quality of life during the hurricane season.

I don't want to argue about this. The point is, the idea of Rivers taking the MU coaching job is ridiculous.

Pardner

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 07:19:12 PM »
I think Doc would be more interested in a GM job than the grind of college recruiting IF TC is offered and IF he jumps.  I still say MU would go safe (with no AD) and go with Majerus who would be close to his home and mom.   With an experienced Top 15 team coming back, it is smart to go with someone who knows the talent--and who can keep the incoming recruits from jumping ship.  He would take it IMO.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 07:19:57 PM »
PRN, on that we agree.  He's not a college coach, has never done it and likely wouldn't be suited anyway for it.  I also don't think Mrs. Rivers is going to move to Milwaukee if she hasn't moved to Boston.   ;D

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 07:41:08 PM »
PRN, on that we agree.  He's not a college coach, has never done it and likely wouldn't be suited anyway for it.  I also don't think Mrs. Rivers is going to move to Milwaukee if she hasn't moved to Boston.   ;D

Pretty sure Doc indicated that they didnt move to Boston because Jeremiah and Callie were already in high school (this was back when he was hired to destroy the Celts).  btw, I think Doc's wife is a Wisconsin native.

more on Callie, http://www.risemag.com/main.cfm?actionID=globalShowStaticContent&screenKey=NatContent&categoryKey=gatoradePOYGirlsVolleyball&articleId=8260
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 07:43:43 PM by NYWarrior »

bma725

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 08:16:51 PM »
Pretty sure Doc indicated that they didnt move to Boston because Jeremiah and Callie were already in high school (this was back when he was hired to destroy the Celts).  btw, I think Doc's wife is a Wisconsin native.

Correct.  She's from Milwaukee, originally went to Madison then transferred to Marquette.  They've almost come back to Milwaukee once before.  When Mike Dunleavy left the Buck's GM job, Herb Kohl wanted River's to be the GM but Doc turned him down. 

Despite all the problems they had around here when they started dating, they'd probably come back.  Her parents are here, and at one point Doc was talking about how they were getting a summer home up here.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 08:36:05 PM »
I knew she was from Wisconsin, but not in a million years did I think she would want to come back. Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, MASS, etc are all losing population by the boatload each year.   She's a trooper....my wife would say NO WAY JOSE to ever going back.

As she likes to say, she made parole and the Milwaukee weather will never be seen again except on tv.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2007, 10:58:25 PM »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2007, 11:17:23 PM »
Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, MASS, etc are all losing population by the boatload each year.

ah, Chicos.......Wisco is doing just fine in population growth, growing 3.6% from 2000-2006.  No population loss there!

http://factfinder.census.gov/servlet/SAFFPopulation?_event=Search&geo_id=04000US06&_geoContext=01000US%7C04000US06&_street=&_county=&_cityTown=&_state=04000US55&_zip=&_lang=en&_sse=on&ActiveGeoDiv=geoSelect&_useEV=&pctxt=fph&pgsl=040&_submenuId=population_0&ds_name=null&_ci_nbr=null&qr_name=null&reg=null%3Anull&_keyword=&_industry=

;D

You are so correct....my stupidity in typing faster than the brain worked.

Milwaukee, Detroit, Chicago, Boston....all losing population.  I was thinking cities and transposed that into the states.

Thank you for the correction.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2007, 09:34:03 AM »
You are so correct....my stupidity in typing faster than the brain worked.

Milwaukee, Detroit, Chicago, Boston....all losing population.  I was thinking cities and transposed that into the states.

Thank you for the correction.

dude, i was bored last night.  no hoops on TV, no baseball yet.......had to do something  ;D

mugoose

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2007, 12:26:58 PM »
I thought I read/heard that Rivers makes like $4 or $5 mil a season. No college will pay that.

What about Majerus if the spot opens?

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2007, 12:28:20 PM »
I thought I read/heard that Rivers makes like $4 or $5 mil a season. No college will pay that.

What about Majerus if the spot opens?

Doc will be fired about 24 hours after the season ends.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2007, 12:34:05 PM »
Dear God. Are you guys serious!!!??? Doc Rivers??? He's a terrrrriiiibbbblllleeeeee coach. No way in a million years. My tix will be canceled in a heart beat if they were to hire him. He's awful. He's killing the Celtics. He can't figure out a rotation 70 games into a season. He's pathetic. My God, and I thought there could be a worse tie-in to the past than Majerus. Ugh.

Let the glory days go. It's time to let go of the former coaches/stars of the 70s/80s and move forward. And, expectations should be raised.

Rivers is an awful, awful coach in the NBA and I would want no part of him at the college level. At the pro level, at least you can cut players and trade them. If he's coach, you gotta live w/his mistakes for six years minimum. No thanks.

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2007, 01:13:40 PM »
You're right Niv.  Danny Ainge has fed him a sterling rotation in Boston.  A nice mixture of youth and veteran leadership.  Doc did a fine job in Orlando.  Celtics job is about as attractive as Kentucky.

NYWarrior

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2007, 01:25:54 PM »
You're right Niv.  Danny Ainge has fed him a sterling rotation in Boston.  A nice mixture of youth and veteran leadership.  Doc did a fine job in Orlando.  Celtics job is about as attractive as Kentucky.

Doc did a fine job in Orlando for one season (his first) when he was named COY. Then he ran those guys out, added a more talented roster and proceeded to be a .500 coach from that point forward.  Not sure coaching is Doc's best career choice

mugoose

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2007, 01:40:11 PM »
Niv, I'll agree with you on Doc....but majerus would bea great coach. Why do you think he gets offered big time jobs every year? The guys knows bball.

Niv Berkowitz

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2007, 02:43:36 PM »
I should qualify my concerns over Coach Maj.

1) I think he's a great coach
2) His health scares me. Big time. He's taken a leave of absence in the past. Would recruits go to a place where the guy could leave due to health reasons? I don't know. It can't help. Is he willing to do that much work again, too, with recruiting? The Al is a HUGE help in recruiting, but the coach still has to get out there and work. I don't know if Maj is up for that.

I don't know. I guess you could do worse than Maj. In fact, a lot worse. I'll recant and admit that if they got Maj it wouldn't be the end of the world. In fact, it may be a fitting end to his career. So, I'll give you guys the props in at least turning me slightly onto that fact. I think what gets me most is the people seem to want him as a link to the era of Al.

FYI - A prominent Michigan blog has a rumor that Crean was in Ann Arbor yesterday. I don't buy it, and neither do the main guys that run the site. It's definitely been quite out there on the coaching front. Chips will all start falling once the KY job is closed, though.

feedback