collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: University of Texas  (Read 6006 times)

muwarrior69

• All American
Re: University of Texas
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2021, 03:54:05 PM »
Or like the Statue of Iwo Jima, largely of anonymous people.

I find that statue very offensive: all those racist, xenophobic white soldiers celebrating a victory over those Japanese defending their homeland.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2021, 06:46:05 PM »

Not really
Not really
Definitely
I could choose to be offended by your response.  I could even choose to be upset.  Instead, I choose to respect your alternative point of view and use it as a learning point to realize that not everyone will share my point of view.

Too many people out there looking for offense or a reason to be upset... That's why I say it's a choice. Hope you can also respect an alternative point of vew.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2021, 07:14:59 PM »
I could choose to be offended by your response.  I could even choose to be upset.  Instead, I choose to respect your alternative point of view and use it as a learning point to realize that not everyone will share my point of view.

Too many people out there looking for offense or a reason to be upset... That's why I say it's a choice. Hope you can also respect an alternative point of vew.

TAMU said it best. Being upset or offended isn’t a choice. How you react to it is.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2021, 07:17:10 PM »

I can respect that you have an alternative small minded point of view.  Hope that doesn't offend you.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2021, 07:25:06 PM »

Science says you're wrong.
Our reactions to anything - an offense, a threat, something that makes us happy or sad, something that feels good - happen within our subconscious faster than we can consciously register whatever created the reaction in the first place.
So, when you call someone an offensive name, their body is reacting to it before their conscious mind processes what they've been called. 
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 07:28:44 PM by Pakuni »

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2021, 12:10:09 PM »
TU commissioned a committee to determine if the song had racist intent and found that it does not. The administration seems to have taken the right approach and I think it's key that the recommendation is to educate incoming students on the history of the song and to not force anyone to sing it (along with a number of other recommendations.....58 pages! yeesh)

I must admit when I read the headline I had the same look on my face as I did when my 14 yr old said "I did some research and Game of Thrones is perfectly fine for me to watch".

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-finds-no-racist-intent-140329551.html

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2021, 12:44:35 PM »
Let's see if they actually enforce athletes not being required to sing the song.  My guess is that most of the football players will be singing it right along with their new coach.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2021, 12:58:29 PM »
TU commissioned a committee to determine if the song had racist intent and found that it does not. The administration seems to have taken the right approach and I think it's key that the recommendation is to educate incoming students on the history of the song and to not force anyone to sing it (along with a number of other recommendations.....58 pages! yeesh)

I must admit when I read the headline I had the same look on my face as I did when my 14 yr old said "I did some research and Game of Thrones is perfectly fine for me to watch".

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-finds-no-racist-intent-140329551.html

Let's see how the donors react to the "not force to sing" thing. That was the apparent sticking point before

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2021, 01:41:05 PM »
Let's see how the donors react to the "not force to sing" thing. That was the apparent sticking point before

Texas boosters tend to be understanding
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2021, 02:37:45 PM »
Texas boosters tend to be understanding

after wins, they will be. After losses....
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2021, 08:06:18 PM »
Let's see if they actually enforce athletes not being required to sing the song.  My guess is that most of the football players will be singing it right along with their new coach.

I didn't know Greg McDermott coached football.