collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MU Lax Bros At It Again  (Read 12652 times)

StillAWarrior

• All American
Re: MU Lax Bros At It Again
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2021, 07:24:39 PM »
He's on scholarship, taking that away could be defacto death penalty given family finances (we don't know what percentage he's getting or the position of his family to cover the lost scholarship).

Not that it matters, but how the heck do you know he’s on scholarship? Would you feel differently if he wasn’t on scholarship?
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2021, 07:33:59 PM »
I find this reprehensible. However ...

Personally, I'd like to see him get a second chance on the lacrosse team if he's contrite and if his coaches/teammates will still have him. But I understand it if the powers-that-be don't agree with me and feel there is no way he can be on the team. We do have freedom of speech in this country, but, as others have said, that freedom carries consequences if it is abused.

I certainly wouldn't kick him out of school, though, not unless there's a lot more to this story.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2021, 07:38:53 PM »

Personally, I'd like to see him get a second chance on the lacrosse team if he's contrite and if his coaches/teammates will still have him. But I understand it if the powers-that-be don't agree with me and feel there is no way he can be on the team. We do have freedom of speech in this country, but, as others have said, that freedom carries consequences if it is abused.

I certainly wouldn't kick him out of school, though, not unless there's a lot more to this story.

This pretty fairly represents my feelings.

FWIW, he’s not listed on the LAX roster anymore. And if you try to find his MU LAX bio from a google search, you get a 404/no longer exists message.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2021, 07:45:34 PM »

The kicking him out of school serves two purposes.

1. It establishes a record of actions have consequences and shows MU is serious about inclusivity.

2. It actually benefits the two students in the video. If they are allowed to stay, everyone at MU knows who they are and what they did. That leads to two student groups, those that find it reprehensible and want nothing to do with them, and those that find it cool and think they are awesome. The latter is who they will have to gravitate towards, and the two will never grow from this. If they leave, they can start fresh anywhere, and possibly learn and grow from this. If they were smart, they'd already be planning on leaving to start fresh.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2021, 07:48:56 PM »
Disgusting.  And as others have sad, very odd.  Feel bad for their parents.

Why? How do we know they didn't learn this at home? People aren't born racist. It is a learned behavior.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2021, 07:52:45 PM »
Agreed that is not normal talk.

But he did not record it, she did, he did not upload it, she did.  Half the posts here assume he purposely recorded and uploaded it.  Not clear he agreed to upload it.

Does it matter that he is a 19-year-old freshman?  Or do all the morally superior Boomers like Forgetful need him to suffer the MU death penalty (expulsion) so Forgetful can feel better about himself.

Is their any room for MU to keep him and make him understand the error of his ways.  Or, are we "cancel first" all the time.

It makes no difference who recorded it. He said what he said.

FYI, telling people not to use racist terms is not "cancel culture". It is decency.

As to kicking him out of school, it is not necessary if he does recompense for his actions. If he refuses, see ya later.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 07:55:11 PM by Jockey »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2021, 07:58:05 PM »
Honestly, I'm shocked that anyone would defend this kid.

Circumstances are irrelevant.

Defending what he said is defending racism.  Time for some introspection Heisey.

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2021, 08:02:55 PM »
No, it doesn't matter that he is 19. He's an adult.

Seeing him expelled has nothing to do with me, but awesome of you to try and place this on me somehow. If he was an employee, he would be fired. He's an adult, he needs to learn actions have consequences. An expulsion would place the punishment at a level consistent with the real world.

It's not cancel culture, it is consequences for ones actions.

It IS cancel culture.

They looked so drunk (or coked out of their minds) that i wouldn't be surprised if they had no recollection what they said since the whole thing didn't make any sense. 
Don't think it warrants expulsion. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 08:15:29 PM by NolongerWarriors »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2021, 08:18:19 PM »
He's on scholarship, taking that away could be defacto death penalty given family finances (we don't know what percentage he's getting or the position of his family to cover the lost scholarship).

Need to consider carefully about kicking him off the team for a non-team error.

100% agree he should not be expelled.  No lessons are learned by this punishment.  He gets defensive that he is a victim to cancel culture. His friends and teammates could see it that way.

Everyone is better served to keep him around so everyone can watch him serve a penalty and understand that words matter.

Not to stereotype but Lax players generally aren't exactly a hurting for money demographic. He also played AAU lax which is expensive, I know because I wasn't able to. Then he got to go to fancy private east coast prep schools (Iona Prep 17k/yr) afterwards. And finally Lax scholarships aren't usually full rides. Kicking him off the team isn't going to be a death sentence.
Maigh Eo for Sam

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2021, 08:24:20 PM »
Not to stereotype but Lax players generally aren't exactly a hurting for money demographic. He also played AAU lax which is expensive, I know because I wasn't able to. Then he got to go to fancy private east coast prep schools (Iona Prep 17k/yr) afterwards. And finally Lax scholarships aren't usually full rides. Kicking him off the team isn't going to be a death sentence.

MU has 59 guys on the LAX roster (I assume it was 60 yesterday). Those 60 kids are splitting 12.6 scholarships total (at most). I know nothing about this kid, and maybe he was a highly prized recruit, but it’s certainly possible - if not likely - that he was getting little money from an LAX scholarship.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2021, 08:34:37 PM »

FWIW, that “fancy prep school” only costs $2K more than MUHS or Catholic Memorial, same price as somewhere like Loyola Academy, even with East Coast inflation.  It’s not like he went to Cushing or Choate, or even somewhere like USM in MKE.  So assuming his family is loaded to smoothly cover $40K a year in tuition at Marquette is a bit unfair.  I knew plenty of people who went to MUHS who weren’t loaded, and they weren’t star athletes.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2021, 08:38:11 PM »
It IS cancel culture.

They looked so drunk (or coked out of their minds) that i wouldn't be surprised if they had no recollection what they said since the whole thing didn't make any sense. 
Don't think it warrants expulsion. 

“Cancel culture” has turned into this ridiculous stance that people should be able to say whatever they want without consequence.

That has never been the case and will never be the case. It’s just become the latest buzz phrase for conservative victimization and is being parroted without thought by all types these days.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2021, 08:42:32 PM »
“Cancel culture” has turned into this ridiculous stance that people should be able to say whatever they want without consequence.

That has never been the case and will never be the case. It’s just become the latest buzz phrase for conservative victimization and is being parroted without thought by all types these days.

I’d argue it predates anything political, conservative or otherwise.  It started gaining ground as a phrase when anyone in the public eye had their behavior from the last 25 years scrutinized and a hug or action in 1982 was now deemed problematic and concerning.   It certainly has swung the way you described over the last 18 months, but I feel like 3-4 years ago it started, rightly, taking down people like Weinstein or other lifelong predators, but then started spreading to more and more grey areas.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2021, 08:43:10 PM »
FWIW, that “fancy prep school” only costs $2K more than MUHS or Catholic Memorial, same price as somewhere like Loyola Academy, even with East Coast inflation.  It’s not like he went to Cushing or Choate, or even somewhere like USM in MKE.  So assuming his family is loaded to smoothly cover $40K a year in tuition at Marquette is a bit unfair.  I knew plenty of people who went to MUHS who weren’t loaded, and they weren’t star athletes.

Yeah I'm not definitively saying he's loaded but there's enough evidence for me to believe it. And certainly enough where one could believe it isn't a death sentence
Maigh Eo for Sam

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2021, 08:59:39 PM »
I'll defend the kids.

Honestly, no one really knows what these two drunkards are even attempting to communicate.  Here's the transcript:  "Do you have a facemask?  N*.  N*.  Facemask.  Sand N*."

Urban Dictionary reports "Sand N*" as a person of middle eastern descent.  That makes no sense, nor does N* pronounced in an odd way, talking about masks.

George Carlin said it well .. "There are no bad words.  There are bad thoughts, bad intentions, and woooooords."

I'm willing to hear that there was other damning context, e.g., "that person is a sand N*" or well, anything that suggests these two were intending to be racist or demeaning, or have a history of such.  That would change my opinion.

In the mean time, the mere utterance of a word, mispronounced, with insane context, should not get you excommunicated, thrown in educational jail.   

We've been down this path before, everyone hearing what they want, believing what they want, jumping to conclusions.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2021, 09:20:30 PM »
I'll defend the kids.

Honestly, no one really knows what these two drunkards are even attempting to communicate.  Here's the transcript:  "Do you have a facemask?  N*.  N*.  Facemask.  Sand N*."

Urban Dictionary reports "Sand N*" as a person of middle eastern descent.  That makes no sense, nor does N* pronounced in an odd way, talking about masks.

George Carlin said it well .. "There are no bad words.  There are bad thoughts, bad intentions, and woooooords."

I'm willing to hear that there was other damning context, e.g., "that person is a sand N*" or well, anything that suggests these two were intending to be racist or demeaning, or have a history of such.  That would change my opinion.

In the mean time, the mere utterance of a word, mispronounced, with insane context, should not get you excommunicated, thrown in educational jail.   

We've been down this path before, everyone hearing what they want, believing what they want, jumping to conclusions.

Yeah. Drunk or not, context or not, the N word is a word that shouldn’t be used. I’m hearing what they said. I didn’t want to hear any words from these two. But I am because it’s newsworthy.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: February 16, 2021, 09:42:47 PM »
The kicking him out of school serves two purposes.

1. It establishes a record of actions have consequences and shows MU is serious about inclusivity.

2. It actually benefits the two students in the video. If they are allowed to stay, everyone at MU knows who they are and what they did. That leads to two student groups, those that find it reprehensible and want nothing to do with them, and those that find it cool and think they are awesome. The latter is who they will have to gravitate towards, and the two will never grow from this. If they leave, they can start fresh anywhere, and possibly learn and grow from this. If they were smart, they'd already be planning on leaving to start fresh.

Sorry, we're gonna respectfully disagree on No. 1 here.

I'm big on trying to treat athletes like other students whenever possible. Are you arguing that any Marquette engineering or journalism or psychology or Spanish major who is caught on tape saying the N-word should be immediately expelled? No chance to show contrition? No opportunity to learn and grow? Zero-tolerance? One strike and you're out? Really?

As for No. 2 ... maybe ... but I don't think that's a reason to expel.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #42 on: February 16, 2021, 09:59:48 PM »
Sorry, we're gonna respectfully disagree on No. 1 here.

I'm big on trying to treat athletes like other students whenever possible. Are you arguing that any Marquette engineering or journalism or psychology or Spanish major who is caught on tape saying the N-word should be immediately expelled? No chance to show contrition? No opportunity to learn and grow? Zero-tolerance? One strike and you're out? Really?

As for No. 2 ... maybe ... but I don't think that's a reason to expel.

They might not get expelled but they may lose a scholarship, particularly if there's a character clause in it. And thus any scholarship athlete should be held to the same standard. If he wants to walk on he should have that right but Marquette shouldn't scholarship him IMO.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2021, 10:02:52 PM »
MU has 59 guys on the LAX roster (I assume it was 60 yesterday). Those 60 kids are splitting 12.6 scholarships total (at most). I know nothing about this kid, and maybe he was a highly prized recruit, but it’s certainly possible - if not likely - that he was getting little money from an LAX scholarship.

And he’d be getting even less if Wally was still at MU, aina?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2021, 10:04:46 PM »
 i'm thinking forget does not have any children of his own...or not anymore...wow! 
don't...don't don't don't don't

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2021, 10:35:38 PM »
i'm thinking forget does not have any children of his own...or not anymore...wow!

Not surprising that your children would use racial slurs.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2021, 10:39:04 PM »
They might not get expelled but they may lose a scholarship, particularly if there's a character clause in it. And thus any scholarship athlete should be held to the same standard. If he wants to walk on he should have that right but Marquette shouldn't scholarship him IMO.

Fair.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2021, 10:42:07 PM »
Little nose candy on the girl's nose?

Free speech can be a b!tch.  You can say what you want, but now everyone knows who you are.  And who you are certainly isn't pretty.

Bingo.  I say stupid stuff.  But it's usually like "Gonzaga and Butler are so much better than everyone else" when I meant to say "Baylor."  Not "Sand n******."  People like that do not deserve the benefit of the doubt.  They let you know who they were.

Technically you just said (typed) the slur:

https://abovethelaw.com/2021/01/law-school-n-word-controversy-is-more-complicated-than-it-appears-at-first-glance/

It’s deeper than that. It’s just a new way of saying “boycott” but with a sense of permanency. “Cancelled” is something that kids said to ostracize someone they didn’t like. It’s a term that moved into mainstream society. Go back to the Dixie Chicks, a campaign of “cancellation” liberals rightfully lambasted. Back then it was “boycott,” now it’s “cancel.” Even small things that offend people on both sides scream “cancel.” There was a campaign to cancel Bryan Adams for saying people should go vegan because he said someone in China ate a bat and now the world was shut down. Seriously? People care that much about Bryan Adams??

The whole “cancel culture” campaign and debate is ridiculously childish on both sides.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2021, 10:54:20 PM »

https://abovethelaw.com/2021/01/law-school-n-word-controversy-is-more-complicated-than-it-appears-at-first-glance/

It’s deeper than that. It’s just a new way of saying “boycott” but with a sense of permanency. “Cancelled” is something that kids said to ostracize someone they didn’t like. It’s a term that moved into mainstream society. Go back to the Dixie Chicks, a campaign of “cancellation” liberals rightfully lambasted. Back then it was “boycott,” now it’s “cancel.” Even small things that offend people on both sides scream “cancel.” There was a campaign to cancel Bryan Adams for saying people should go vegan because he said someone in China ate a bat and now the world was shut down. Seriously? People care that much about Bryan Adams??

The whole “cancel culture” campaign and debate is ridiculously childish on both sides.

I directly quoted the kid in the video, while censoring the word. Just like this person did in her article.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2021, 10:57:38 PM by BLM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2021, 11:08:55 PM »

Not sure quoting a white blogger's stance is the best if you're looking to make a point that censoring the word is still using it. I would love to take that defense case and I am not even a lawyer.
Maigh Eo for Sam