[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8486221 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Recruiting as of 8/15/18
« Reply #14425 on: August 16, 2018, 09:57:15 PM »
who would be bigger?

hank was an in state kid coming into a team that missed all post season play.

wade was a lower end top 100 ineligible player.

markus was a top 60 out of state kid coming to an nit team.

vander an in state lower ranked player.

doc? not sure who the highest ranked recruits were in the al era coming in. but nico could take us from a long shot national title chance to a very legitimate national title chance.

could open the floodgates for more non-wi big time recruits to come in especially if the team has big success.
Doc was a consensus first team high school all American and constantly in the newspapers . He was considered a huge prize .

Earl Tatum was a consensus first team high school all American on the best team in the country In his day Mt Vernon New York.

Most of the key recruits in Als time Chones, McNeil, Lucas , Bo, Bernard Toone were first second or third team high school AA

In those days there was no AAU. Also first team all America meant top 5. Second team was 5 guys etc
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14426 on: August 16, 2018, 10:19:15 PM »
Glenn Rivers was a major, major recruit. As others have said, an All-American who was pursued by everybody.

Plenty of others before him, too.

Anyways ... I thought Nico's breakdown of Marquette was interesting:

“I talked to coach Stan Johnson [Wednesday] night for Marquette. And their pitch is to come in and you’ll have the ball in your hands. Their class is already rated the No. 1 offense in the country right now and most of their guys are returning the year I’ll be there if I were to go there. So he said I just could add to that. I’ll be the main decision-maker, the ball will be in my hands. It’s a situation where if I play well, we’ll win. And if not, we’ll lose, which is big for me because you gotta get used to that at some point.

“I really like their staff, and I have a good relationship with Stan Johnson. I really like how they pitch their program, it’s family-based. They play an up-tempo style, which is what I like, and they give their guards freedom.”

So, I guess the oft-repeated (by coaches) statement that they never promise a recruit a starting job and a lead role is false? Do y'all think that Stan really promised this or that this simply is what Nico heard?

And what's McEwen? Chopped liver? Or maybe it's the theory (which I agree with) that you can never have enough PGs and you definitely can play two very good ones at the same time.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #14427 on: August 16, 2018, 10:35:45 PM »
I think it goes without saying that he has to win the job before he gets the ball in his hands but yeah I hear what you are saying..when you are recruiting 5 stars you have to make them feel wanted.....all coaches do it ...once they get on campus the best players play.....They all know that.

I mean we will have Howard here......he might make be on some preseason AA teams as a senior......to think that we will only win if Nico plays well is ridiculous ........but potential one and done guys talk like that sometimes.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14428 on: August 16, 2018, 11:01:39 PM »
I don't think a coach ever says "you will be the starter from day 1 no matter what."

I do think coaches often say "you are good enough to be the starter from day 1."
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14429 on: August 16, 2018, 11:39:34 PM »
I don't think a coach ever says "you will be the starter from day 1 no matter what."

I do think coaches often say "you are good enough to be the starter from day 1."

I think you're probably right, and Nico heard something slightly different.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #14430 on: August 17, 2018, 06:34:46 AM »
Hopefully they can take him into the FF even though it will be during the preseason.

Has College Basketball gotten into the VR thing like football has? Would be a good way to truly let a kid know how the arena would feel on a packed gameday.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14431 on: August 17, 2018, 06:36:52 AM »

I'd guess it's them presenting a vision. Telling someone you see them coming in, getting the ball in their hands, & running the offense isn't the same as guaranteeing it rain or shine.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #14432 on: August 17, 2018, 06:49:39 AM »

Ummm no,
Its like telling tom brady if u come here u will have a fighting chance to start.  Everyone in the room knows Mannion will be by far the best PG on the roster, even McEwen, who prolly wasnt in the room.  Now sure if he plays poorly or breaks his leg he wont play as much, but clearly the pitch is, and should be, best PG in America come in and run this offense n put us over the hump to a Final Four, just like it was to Jalen Brunson and every other 5 star PG.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #14433 on: August 17, 2018, 06:51:31 AM »
Ummm no,
Its like telling tom brady if u come here u will have a fighting chance to start.  Everyone in the room knows Mannion will be by far the best PG on the roster, even McEwen, who prolly wasnt in the room.  Now sure if he plays poorly or breaks his leg he wont play as much, but clearly the pitch is, and should be, best PG in America come in and run this offense n put us over the hump to a Final Four, just like it was to Jalen Brunson and every other 5 star PG.

I tend to agree - you are not going to be in the game with a 1 & Done with a ‘we’ll give you a chance’ message.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #14434 on: August 17, 2018, 07:04:55 AM »
Ummm no,
Its like telling tom brady if u come here u will have a fighting chance to start. 
Ummm, no.
If by “here” you mean Green Bay.
Sorry Aaron, but we have a 41 year old coming in so here’s your clipboard.
Bad analogy..

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #14435 on: August 17, 2018, 07:09:33 AM »
who would be bigger?

hank was an in state kid coming into a team that missed all post season play.

wade was a lower end top 100 ineligible player.

markus was a top 60 out of state kid coming to an nit team.

vander an in state lower ranked player.

doc? not sure who the highest ranked recruits were in the al era coming in. but nico could take us from a long shot national title chance to a very legitimate national title chance.

could open the floodgates for more non-wi big time recruits to come in especially if the team has big success.

As others have said, several of our recruits in the 70s were first or second team All-Americans, literally top 5-10 in the country.  Look, I sincerely hope we get Nico and he would be an incredible signing.  And in comparison to kids we've signed this century I agree with you.  Just filling in your historical gaps a little.   :)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #14436 on: August 17, 2018, 07:13:48 AM »
As others have said, several of our recruits in the 70s were first or second team All-Americans, literally top 5-10 in the country.  Look, I sincerely hope we get Nico and he would be an incredible signing.  And in comparison to kids we've signed this century I agree with you.  Just filling in your historical gaps a little.   :)

Maybe this belongs in the age-ism thread

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #14437 on: August 17, 2018, 07:26:38 AM »
Ummm, no.
If by “here” you mean Green Bay.
Sorry Aaron, but we have a 41 year old coming in so here’s your clipboard.
Bad analogy..

I love when people are so dense that they entirely miss the point.  And if we had an Aaron Rodgers or one in the wings we wouldnt be going for Brady, would we?   Some are so obtuse to understand little.
 Point remains no where in those conversations is the word “if” being used.  MU and Nico are so sure of his talent and abilities that “when” is the only word being used, i guarantee this.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #14438 on: August 17, 2018, 07:32:03 AM »
Maybe this belongs in the age-ism thread

Absolute true story.  3-4 years ago MU's Office of Marketing and Communication had to put together some materials on Butch Lee, a job that partially fell to the 8-10 interns that work there at any point in time.  At a meeting where the project was introduced, several interns responded with 'Who's that?'   :o  My son, the multi-media intern at the time replied with 'IDK, he was only the POY and a National Champion in '77.'   ::)  I got to tell Butch that story years later.  Good stuff.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #14439 on: August 17, 2018, 07:33:02 AM »
Nice try. Again, bad analogy.

How do you guarantee this?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #14440 on: August 17, 2018, 07:56:23 AM »
The top recruits think they are good enough to start. A coach only has to tell them the best player will start and they will believe they are starting.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #14441 on: August 17, 2018, 09:33:01 AM »
Staff obviously knows what they are doing, but I wonder what kind of message it sends to James Bishop having Mannion on campus at the same time. I mean, you can't give Bishop the same pitch you give Mannion and I'm not sure how you keep him from feeling like the backup plan. Especially if we do get the LAX bros chanting Nico at madness.

I'd assume you try to sell Nico on the idea of being the player that pushes Marquette over the top en route to a Final  Four. Meanwhile, you try to sell Bishop on the idea that he could be part of a final four run his freshman year and be ready to step in as a starter as a sophomore when M2N/Ed/Sam/Sacar graduate and Nico goes pro.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #14442 on: August 17, 2018, 09:46:21 AM »
Staff obviously knows what they are doing, but I wonder what kind of message it sends to James Bishop having Mannion on campus at the same time. I mean, you can't give Bishop the same pitch you give Mannion and I'm not sure how you keep him from feeling like the backup plan. Especially if we do get the LAX bros chanting Nico at madness.

I'd assume you try to sell Nico on the idea of being the player that pushes Marquette over the top en route to a Final  Four. Meanwhile, you try to sell Bishop on the idea that he could be part of a final four run his freshman year and be ready to step in as a starter as a sophomore when M2N/Ed/Sam/Sacar graduate and Nico goes pro.

Pretty simple
JC is graduating Nico envision you out there in his place, look at the all the weapons you wil be playing with when we hand u the ball the day you get here.
  James watch Markus he will be a senior when u are a freshman and then all his minutes will be to be taken by someone.  We believe you can be that guy thats why u are here today.  Looks like a great opportunity right?
Two different players, two different positions ( bishop a 2 not a pg anyway) two different approaches.  If bishop wants to be told he will be a starter and the focus he needs to go low major.
Its not that difficult guys

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14443 on: August 17, 2018, 09:48:54 AM »

They tell Bishop he is a combo guard and Nico he is a point guard and combined they will be a highly effective pairing and raise each other to even higher levels.

Recruits build relationship with each other that can be very helpful. For example, one of the biggest cheerleaders for recruiting Henry and Haanif was Nick Noskowiak which was ironic of course in the fact that Noskowiak ultimately imploded .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14444 on: August 17, 2018, 09:50:55 AM »
The top recruits think they are good enough to start. A coach only has to tell them the best player will start and they will believe they are starting.

I like this.

Absolute true story.  3-4 years ago MU's Office of Marketing and Communication had to put together some materials on Butch Lee, a job that partially fell to the 8-10 interns that work there at any point in time.  At a meeting where the project was introduced, several interns responded with 'Who's that?'   :o  My son, the multi-media intern at the time replied with 'IDK, he was only the POY and a National Champion in '77.'   ::)  I got to tell Butch that story years later.  Good stuff.

Went out for a few beers last night with two friends, including a fellow ex-Warrior. The guy who wasn't an alum brought along his 26-year-old son.

We were all talking about places we liked to visit and New Orleans came up. My fellow alum and I turned that into talk about our '03 FF appearance, and he mentioned Wade.

So what do you think the 26-year-old said?

Yep.

"Oh, I didn't know Dwyane Wade went to Marquette."

Sigh.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #14445 on: August 17, 2018, 09:55:21 AM »

I will use crayons if it helps.  Do u think we told Henry Ellenson he would have a chance to start?  A chance to maybe get time.  Or did he, the team, and the coaches already friggin know that he would be the best player on the team?  Not rocket science we are talking about a pro (his success in the nba aside). 
Kids like mannion n henry are pros, they are the best players on day 1.  If wojo or stan say u might not start Henry should have gone elsewhere simply because the coaches are idiots.  Now i filly understand that this team is head and shoulders above the team Henry joined but it doesnt matter.  McEwen, Elliott, and whomever else are fine college players. Nico is a pro.  He is visiting duke, nova and arizona as the defacto starting point guard as well. Its really not very hard

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #14446 on: August 17, 2018, 09:56:01 AM »
I tend to agree - you are not going to be in the game with a 1 & Done with a ‘we’ll give you a chance’ message.

Glad someone else gets it
Its really not very hard

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #14447 on: August 17, 2018, 10:07:52 AM »
Man, people on both sides of this argument don't really get it.  Starting no matta.  Where ever Nico goes, he will be a contributor on a very good team.  That pitch will be the same from all 4 remaining schools.  If that's all we offer, we will most certainly lose out on him. 

Our pitch will likely be based around the family like atmosphere of our program, and existing relationships he has with Markus, Brendan and Thurl. AZ will have the home state pitch.  Nova will have the 2 titles in 3 years pitch, and Duke will have the NBA factory pitch.  He will see big minutes at any of the schools. 

Since he has indicated that he will likely be a one and done, he will use his one year to showcase to NBA scouts.  Whether he starts or comes off the bench will make no difference in the scouts eyes, it will all depend on what he does when he is on the court.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14448 on: August 17, 2018, 10:22:19 AM »
Man, people on both sides of this argument don't really get it.  Starting no matta.  Where ever Nico goes, he will be a contributor on a very good team.  That pitch will be the same from all 4 remaining schools.  If that's all we offer, we will most certainly lose out on him. 

Our pitch will likely be based around the family like atmosphere of our program, and existing relationships he has with Markus, Brendan and Thurl. AZ will have the home state pitch.  Nova will have the 2 titles in 3 years pitch, and Duke will have the NBA factory pitch.  He will see big minutes at any of the schools. 

Since he has indicated that he will likely be a one and done, he will use his one year to showcase to NBA scouts.  Whether he starts or comes off the bench will make no difference in the scouts eyes, it will all depend on what he does when he is on the court.

I'd be willing to put money on well over 50% of top 100 recruits thinking starting is a big deal.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #14449 on: August 17, 2018, 10:26:09 AM »
I'd be willing to put money on well over 50% of top 100 recruits thinking starting is a big deal.

What do you think is a bigger deal, knowing that you'll have the ball in your hands on the first possession of a game, or the last possession of a close game?  I'd rather have a team of finishers.

What stat do you think is more indicative of this players basketball ability from the years 2009-2012, the 7 combined starts over three years, or the almost 30 mpg over the same time.

http://www.espn.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/3992/james-harden

Starting no matta.

feedback