Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bubble Watch 2018  (Read 244122 times)

MuMark

• All American
Re: Bubble Watch 2018
« Reply #1050 on: March 06, 2018, 08:58:53 PM »
Buzz's last season we were the preseason top 20 and picked to win the conference.....  didn't even make the NIT.

No such thing as playing for seeding before the season starts.

Have to earn it every year.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #1051 on: March 06, 2018, 09:07:14 PM »
Buzz's last season we were the preseason top 20 and picked to win the conference.....  didn't even make the NIT.

Speaking of Buzz,  he and his team could do a real screw job with us Wed. night by losing to Notre Dame.  That could take away another bid.  We all have to cheer for Va Tech tomorrow night.

GoldenDieners32

• All American
« Reply #1052 on: March 06, 2018, 09:08:22 PM »
Speaking of Buzz,  he and his team could do a real screw job with us Wed. night by losing to Notre Dame.  That could take away another bid.  We all have to cheer for Va Tech tomorrow night.
Cheering for VATech? Thats just unfortunate

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #1053 on: March 06, 2018, 09:18:01 PM »
Hell of a lot better than cheering for their opponent. Somehow Wisconsin will win in the match up between Va Tech and ND

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #1054 on: March 06, 2018, 09:22:45 PM »
Any fear of BYU being a bid thief has vanished, getting absolutely pummeled. Would be great if St. Mary's was left out and the WCC only got the Zags

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #1055 on: March 06, 2018, 09:28:20 PM »
but beating Seton Hall and Creighton twice each was not really in the cards either...just what it is...

Exactly correct Nukem2. Nothing personal muguru, many make your same argument, but this argument of picking two underperformances out of 30 games drives me crazy. This would be like rolling a die 30 times and saying you won every time a 3 through 6 came up, and then being angry that on the 23rd and 28th roll it came up as a loss.

Part of analytics is that you are going to be several points above the prediction and several points below the prediction over the course of a lot of games.

At DePaul, Marquette was an underdog in Vegas. I typed that I understood that spread. On February 7 we were a 6-point underdog at www.kenpom.com and on February 17 we were a 7-point underdog against Creighton and at one point the www.kenpom.com in-game percentage gave Marquette a 3% chance to come back and win the game - so Marquette pulled off bigger upsets than their opponents this season. So to say almost any loss is avoidable is technically correct, you cannot avoid around 6 underperformances and 6 overperformances a year. The great teams are just so much better than most of their opponents that they pull out most games.

For all those who make jokes about not playing the season and just going by the preseason rankings - kenpom ranked Marquette 49th before the season (which I thought was too high at the time) and MU is 50th now and could finish above or below that mark based on the BE tournament.

So based on the preseason rating at kenpom, we would have expected MU to be in the basic position they are now - on the bubble heading into the conference tournament. No looking back - just look ahead and hope we can win.
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

HelfaerWarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #1056 on: March 06, 2018, 09:32:20 PM »
Where is the like button?  Great post.

skianth16

• All American
« Reply #1057 on: March 06, 2018, 09:34:05 PM »
Any fear of BYU being a bid thief has vanished, getting absolutely pummeled. Would be great if St. Mary's was left out and the WCC only got the Zags

They started out playing well and had me worried. Giving up something along the lines of a 25-4 run in the first 10 minutes of the second half made me feel much better.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1058 on: March 06, 2018, 09:36:51 PM »

Cue up the dueling banjos😳 and take one for the team, enn’a heyoooo noooooooooo
don't...don't don't don't don't

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #1059 on: March 06, 2018, 09:53:34 PM »
Exactly correct Nukem2. Nothing personal muguru, many make your same argument, but this argument of picking two underperformances out of 30 games drives me crazy. This would be like rolling a die 30 times and saying you won every time a 3 through 6 came up, and then being angry that on the 23rd and 28th roll it came up as a loss.

Part of analytics is that you are going to be several points above the prediction and several points below the prediction over the course of a lot of games.

At DePaul, Marquette was an underdog in Vegas. I typed that I understood that spread. On February 7 we were a 6-point underdog at www.kenpom.com and on February 17 we were a 7-point underdog against Creighton and at one point the www.kenpom.com in-game percentage gave Marquette a 3% chance to come back and win the game - so Marquette pulled off bigger upsets than their opponents this season. So to say almost any loss is avoidable is technically correct, you cannot avoid around 6 underperformances and 6 overperformances a year. The great teams are just so much better than most of their opponents that they pull out most games.

For all those who make jokes about not playing the season and just going by the preseason rankings - kenpom ranked Marquette 49th before the season (which I thought was too high at the time) and MU is 50th now and could finish above or below that mark based on the BE tournament.

So based on the preseason rating at kenpom, we would have expected MU to be in the basic position they are now - on the bubble heading into the conference tournament. No looking back - just look ahead and hope we can win.
Great post. It is beyond peculiar how predictive Pomeroy has become. Will be interesting to see where we rank next preseason.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1060 on: March 06, 2018, 10:07:54 PM »
At least they hired a guy with high major experience instead of going with a top assistant.

Yeah, they hired the guy Chico wanted instead of Buzz.

HelfaerWarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #1061 on: March 06, 2018, 10:21:05 PM »
I was never a Buzz hater (actually liked him when he was our guy) but I thought the way he left was ugly.  He and Larry Williams was a toxic combo.

Here’s hoping the once-fat-hick-philosopher brings the wood to the domers tomorrow.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #1062 on: March 06, 2018, 10:28:12 PM »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1063 on: March 06, 2018, 10:42:38 PM »
MU was not a dog at DePaul, MU was -3.5 that day.

Accordingly enough, MU is giving 6 at the Garden to the Blue Demons tomorrow.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1064 on: March 06, 2018, 10:59:39 PM »
Big Va Tech fan tomorrow. Easiest one of these supposedly "tough calls" I've had to make all season.

I have absolutely no ill will toward Buzz. I got a great deal of enjoyment from watching his Warriors play. His tenure at MU ended in a shytty way ... which puts him on par with most.

Meanwhile, I hate ND. Always have, always will. Plus, not that I needed ANOTHER reason to hate ND, but they can take a tourney spot from us.

I didn't see the Fraudulent Irish barely get past a horrible Pitt team, but from the sound of it they were hardly worthy of the "let's get them in the tourney because Bonzi is back" push taking place on ESPN and elsewhere.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1065 on: March 06, 2018, 11:21:17 PM »
So here's something I found interesting about looking at the raw RPI numbers on rpiforecast.com.  There are twenty-one teams with an rpi between 0.5700 and 0.5800.  That is every team ranked 44-64 in RPI within a difference of .01.

For comparison, .01 is also the difference between #1 Virginia and #3 Xavier (0.6715 and 0.6615).  That is how incredibly close things are on the bubble.  Twenty-one teams separated by a very small amount.

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
Lunardi says we are out unless we beat nova
« Reply #1066 on: March 07, 2018, 01:03:32 AM »
Ouch - can't link from my phone, but lunardi did a post on what each team needed to do and believes we are out unless we beat nova. Sorry I'd this was posted - I just saw it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 08:00:15 AM by auburnmarquette »
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #1067 on: March 07, 2018, 05:38:41 AM »

I’m going to have to work through this one emotionally with a few gournal entries.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1068 on: March 07, 2018, 05:44:15 AM »
Cheering for VATech?

There has to be a better way!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1069 on: March 07, 2018, 06:22:49 AM »
There has to be a better way!

I have two better ways:

1: Cheer against Notre Dame.
2: Consider Buzz to still owe Marquette and this is a chance for him to pay that debt.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUBigDance

• All American
« Reply #1070 on: March 07, 2018, 06:29:30 AM »
I always cheer for Buzz. Except against MU, want VAT to win.

LoudMouth

• All American
« Reply #1071 on: March 07, 2018, 06:52:05 AM »
So here's something I found interesting about looking at the raw RPI numbers on rpiforecast.com.  There are twenty-one teams with an rpi between 0.5700 and 0.5800.  That is every team ranked 44-64 in RPI within a difference of .01.

For comparison, .01 is also the difference between #1 Virginia and #3 Xavier (0.6715 and 0.6615).  That is how incredibly close things are on the bubble.  Twenty-one teams separated by a very small amount.
Yup it’s crazy close. The games that have a “marginal impact” on our RPI can make a world of difference

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1072 on: March 07, 2018, 07:06:41 AM »

Really?? there isn't?? C'mon mark, you're a smart guy, and follow college BB...you honestly can't look at a teams talent coming in a following year and say to yourself "barring something catastrophic, injuries etc), that's easily an NCAA tournament team?? I sure can..You didn't think MU's 2003 Final Four team was an NCAA team before the season started?? I sure did..Or the three amigos teams?? Or some of Buzz's teams?? There is absolutely playing for seeding before the season starts..I can find at least 20 teams every year when the season starts that unless something totally unforeseen happens, are virtual locks to make it in...and are playing for seeding.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1073 on: March 07, 2018, 07:28:38 AM »
Really?? there isn't?? C'mon mark, you're a smart guy, and follow college BB...you honestly can't look at a teams talent coming in a following year and say to yourself "barring something catastrophic, injuries etc), that's easily an NCAA tournament team?? I sure can..You didn't think MU's 2003 Final Four team was an NCAA team before the season started?? I sure did..Or the three amigos teams?? Or some of Buzz's teams?? There is absolutely playing for seeding before the season starts..I can find at least 20 teams every year when the season starts that unless something totally unforeseen happens, are virtual locks to make it in...and are playing for seeding.

Your own post contradicts itself. Something unforeseen happens around the country every year. Notre Dame is an example this year. The Kentucky team that went to the NIT. When Coach K missed most of Duke's season. I'm confident if you go through annual preseason top-10 to 15 teams, you'll find at least one team a year that is playing for its postseason life by February.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #1074 on: March 07, 2018, 08:08:38 AM »
Your own post contradicts itself. Something unforeseen happens around the country every year. Notre Dame is an example this year. The Kentucky team that went to the NIT. When Coach K missed most of Duke's season. I'm confident if you go through annual preseason top-10 to 15 teams, you'll find at least one team a year that is playing for its postseason life by February.

Doing a quick look just last year Preseason Top 25 not making tourney; Indiana 11/11, UConn 18/16, Syracuse 19/17, and Texas 21/22.