'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bubble Watch 2018  (Read 244159 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Bubble Watch 2018
« Reply #675 on: March 01, 2018, 11:50:21 AM »
Maybe its cliche, but beating a team you're pretty much of par with 3/3 time is quite a challenge.  Sh*t, beating them 2/2 times is going to be quite a challenge.

It’s just not true.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

oldwarrior81

• All American
« Reply #676 on: March 01, 2018, 01:02:55 PM »
the bracketmatrix has Syracuse, UCLA, Washington and Marquette as the first 4 out.

Providence, Louisville, Texas and Baylor as the last 4 in.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #677 on: March 01, 2018, 01:05:26 PM »
They're on the bubble, but with the quality of their Q1 wins, is Providence actually in any trouble?  I haven't looked at the team sheet/ advanced numbers much, but how many bubble teams have beaten 2 potential 1 seeds?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #678 on: March 01, 2018, 01:23:28 PM »
They're on the bubble, but with the quality of their Q1 wins, is Providence actually in any trouble?  I haven't looked at the team sheet/ advanced numbers much, but how many bubble teams have beaten 2 potential 1 seeds?

Providence is a weird case. The have two VERY good wins against Nova and X, both at home. They also have three VERY bad losses against Minnesota (at home), UMass, and DePaul (at home).

I wonder how much the committee will weigh their wins/losses based on the personnel available in each game. They beat Nova sans Phil Booth, so that might cheapen the win a little. But they also were beat by UMass when Diallo was hurt and Cartwright was playing hurt, so that might soften the blow a bit. They also lost to Minnesota when they were at full strength before the suspension of Lynch, injuries to McBrayer, and injuries to Coffey. So maybe they don't penalize them as much for that loss.

The other thing working against Providence is their KenPom. Their RPI looks nice at 42 but their KenPom is a rough 72. If KenPom truly is being used more by the committee....it could be a problem for them.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #679 on: March 01, 2018, 01:35:56 PM »
Providence is a weird case. The have two VERY good wins against Nova and X, both at home. They also have three VERY bad losses against Minnesota (at home), UMass, and DePaul (at home).

I wonder how much the committee will weigh their wins/losses based on the personnel available in each game. They beat Nova sans Phil Booth, so that might cheapen the win a little. But they also were beat by UMass when Diallo was hurt and Cartwright was playing hurt, so that might soften the blow a bit. They also lost to Minnesota when they were at full strength before the suspension of Lynch, injuries to McBrayer, and injuries to Coffey. So maybe they don't penalize them as much for that loss.

The other thing working against Providence is their KenPom. Their RPI looks nice at 42 but their KenPom is a rough 72. If KenPom truly is being used more by the committee....it could be a problem for them.

I think PC is pretty safe.  I think they'll get in even with a loss vs. SJU on Saturday.  But I also think MU's resume is slightly superior based on the blind resume test.  As Brew mentioned, they have better wins, but they have 2 pretty bad losses.  Same conference record.  Analytic rankings aren't great.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #680 on: March 01, 2018, 02:15:38 PM »
Not much in the way of true bubble action tonight:

Northwestern @ Penn State (fringe)
Virginia @ Louisville (last four in)
Western Kentucky (next four out) @ Middle Tennessee (11 seed; probably not 100% safe without AQ, but probably not the game we want them to lose)
NC State (9 seed) @ Georgia Tech
Cal @ Arizona State (9 seed)
Oregon State @ Washington (first four out)

Unfortunately, most of the teams the bubbly teams are playing tonight are awful.  I wouldn't expect losses except for Louisville and Western Kentucky.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #681 on: March 01, 2018, 02:40:57 PM »
I think we can start adding games including potential bracketbusters:

Iowa vs. Michigan (I doubt Iowa goes all the way but I want as many locks in the next round as possible to knock off the Wisconsins, Indianas, and Nebraskas of the world)
TAMU

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #682 on: March 01, 2018, 02:43:55 PM »
I think we can start adding games including potential bracketbusters:

Iowa vs. Michigan (I doubt Iowa goes all the way but I want as many locks in the next round as possible to knock off the Wisconsins, Indianas, and Nebraskas of the world)

Ya know...I'm rooting for Iowa.  Michigan is in regardless, and if Iowa wins it gives Nebraska yet another sh*t opponent before getting pounded by Michigan State.  Removes the chance to add a good win to their resume that sorely lacks them.

Iowa isn't winning the B10 tournament.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #683 on: March 01, 2018, 02:46:09 PM »
Ya know...I'm rooting for Iowa.  Michigan is in regardless, and if Iowa wins it gives Nebraska yet another sh*t opponent before getting pounded by Michigan State.  Removes the chance to add a good win to their resume that sorely lacks them.

Yep. We should be rooting for Iowa.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #684 on: March 01, 2018, 02:57:11 PM »

No they aren't winning the B1G tourney....and they probably aren't beating Nebraska either. Which puts the Huskers one upset away from the B1G championship game....assuming Michigan State doesn't crap the bed against Wisconsin.

At this point, I want all the locks just to take care of business. Don't need the bubble getting any smaller than it has to. Though I see what your saying about sabotaging Nebraka's resume with another matchup against Iowa.
TAMU

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #685 on: March 01, 2018, 02:59:53 PM »
No they aren't winning the B1G tourney....and they probably aren't beating Nebraska either. Which puts the Huskers one upset away from the B1G championship game....assuming Michigan State doesn't crap the bed against Wisconsin.

At this point, I want all the locks just to take care of business. Don't need the bubble getting any smaller than it has to. Though I see what your saying about sabotaging Nebraka's resume with another matchup against Iowa.

Yep, just two different routes to the same goal. Doubt Iowa wins this game anyhow...they are bad.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #686 on: March 01, 2018, 03:06:33 PM »
I don't want Wisconsin to upset Michigan St and luck into a semi final against Iowa. Even Nebraska isn't daunting. Keep Michigan alive. Had Wisconsin lost today I wouldn't mind.

It'd be just Wisconsin's luck to get an Iowa and Penn St/Indiana draw.  Looks like Michigan is off to a good start to the second half though.

robmufan

• All American
« Reply #687 on: March 01, 2018, 03:10:18 PM »
I don't want Wisconsin to upset Michigan St and luck into a semi final against Iowa. Even Nebraska isn't daunting. Keep Michigan alive. Had Wisconsin lost today I wouldn't mind.

It'd be just Wisconsin's luck to get an Iowa and Penn St/Indiana draw.  Looks like Michigan is off to a good start to the second half though.

Unless somehow the Wisco win becomes a Q1 win (which I am pretty sure it won't)...im good if they get crushed tomorrow! The only thing they can do is hurt us at this point by stealing a bid.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #688 on: March 01, 2018, 03:47:02 PM »
Michigan is not good.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #689 on: March 01, 2018, 03:48:00 PM »
Michigan is not good.

They can be, they've shot terribly today though. Fun last minute or two.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #690 on: March 01, 2018, 04:03:00 PM »
They can be, they've shot terribly today though. Fun last minute or two.

Some 11 or 12 seed is going to happy with their draw.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #691 on: March 01, 2018, 07:19:36 PM »
Michigan is not good.

Michigan is better when they make more than 3 for 19 3 pointers and when Wagner and MAAR don’t get fouled out in 15 minutes.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #692 on: March 01, 2018, 07:53:37 PM »
On Providence...this is interesting..Providence lost at Xavier and has seen other damage done to its tournament resume. The Friars now have four quadrant 4 losses. One of those is Minnesota, which was at full strength when it beat Providence, so that loss may not be viewed quite as harshly. Even with that, only seven teams in 20 years have received at-large bids with as many as two quadrant four losses. Providence is one of those. The Friars got in last year with two Q4 losses.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #693 on: March 01, 2018, 07:58:07 PM »
On Providence...this is interesting..Providence lost at Xavier and has seen other damage done to its tournament resume. The Friars now have four quadrant 4 losses. One of those is Minnesota, which was at full strength when it beat Providence, so that loss may not be viewed quite as harshly. Even with that, only seven teams in 20 years have received at-large bids with as many as two quadrant four losses. Providence is one of those. The Friars got in last year with two Q4 losses.

Bracket Matrix has PC in Dayton.  They could easily fall out if they lose the next couple.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #694 on: March 01, 2018, 08:28:35 PM »
Louisville is about 11 minutes from just about locking up a bid.....up 13 on the Cavs.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #695 on: March 01, 2018, 08:58:56 PM »
NC State just took a bad loss against Georgia Tech

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #696 on: March 01, 2018, 09:09:11 PM »
Nc State still safe by plenty and Louisville locked up a bid. WKU is done barring an autobid.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #697 on: March 01, 2018, 09:12:57 PM »
Epic choke by Louisville.......lol

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #698 on: March 01, 2018, 09:13:56 PM »

Wow. I just assumed haha. That was absurd

muguru

• All American
« Reply #699 on: March 01, 2018, 09:14:17 PM »

You aren't kidding...WOW lol
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.