'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bubble Watch 2018  (Read 244125 times)

Windyplayer

• All American
Re: Bubble Watch 2018
« Reply #425 on: February 22, 2018, 01:29:29 PM »
Barring a crazy comeback, SHU beats PC on the road. Definitely the better result for us. Solidifies the two Q1 wins we have and drops PC back towards the cutline.
Providence is in serious danger territory. Next three are @Gtown, @Xavier, and home to SJU. They could realistically lose all three to close out the year and miss NCAA.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #426 on: February 22, 2018, 01:31:29 PM »
Only explanation I can come up with.  There are multiple teams ahead of us in his eyes that have worse RPI, SOS, fewer Q1/Q2 wins and more Q3/Q4 loses.  What else could it be?
Completely agree. He is either shirking, big time, or does not give a damn about the overt ESPN bias in which case he endangers his reputation, which is everything in his line of work.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #427 on: February 22, 2018, 01:36:15 PM »
Completely agree. He is either shirking, big time, or does not give a damn about the overt ESPN bias in which case he endangers his reputation, which is everything in his line of work.

He's at little risk of endangering his reputation.....at this point of the season there aren't that many fanbases that are paying that close attention outside of the E$PN contracted teams.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #428 on: February 22, 2018, 01:41:02 PM »

I mean he's got Boise and Utah in there, and they're not ESPN teams.  USC and St. Bonnie last 4 in. 

Utah probably deserves in the be in the first 8 out somewhere, USC is questionable as whether they belong in the field right now.  St. Bonnie probably deserves to be in for now as well until they pick up another bad loss, which is conveivable with their remaining schedule of @VCU, vs. Davidson, @SLU.

I am not sure what is causing him to downgrade MU, but when you spread the resumes, there is basically nothing I can find that would indicate MU shouldn't be somewhere between a 10 seed and the first few teams out at the moment. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #429 on: February 22, 2018, 01:57:24 PM »
We're going to keep winning, but we need the bubble teams to falter.

So let's wish the worst on our bubble competition:

Providence still has to play @Georgetown, @X, and vs. St Johns.  Go Hoyas/Muskies/Johnnies!
K-State still has to play @Oklahoma, @TCU, and Baylor.  Go Sooners/Frogs!
NC State still has to play Florida State, @Georgia Tech, and Louisville.  Go Noles/Jackets!
Texas still has to play OK State, @Kansas, and West Va.  Go Cowboys/Jayhawks/Mountaineers!
UCLA still has to play @Utah, @Colorado, and @USC.  Go Buffs/Trojans!
St. Bonaventure still has to play @VCU, Davidson, @SLU.  Go Rams/Bobcats/Billikens!
Baylor has to play @TCU, Oklahoma, and @KState.  Go Frogs (again) and Sooners (again)
Syracuse has to play @Duke, @BC, and Clemson.  Go Devils/Eagles/Tigers!
Louisville has to play @VT, Virginia, and @NC State.  Go Hokies/Cavs!
Washington has to play @Cal, Oregon St, and Oregon.  Go Bears/Beavers/Ducks!
USC has to play @Colorado, @Utah, and UCLA.  Go Buffs (again)!
Mississippi St has to play South Carolina, Tennessee, and @LSU.  Go Cocks/Vols!
LSU has to play @Georgia, @South Carolina, and MissSt.  Go Cocks (again)!
Penn State just has @Nebraska.
Nebraska just has Penn St
Utah has to play UCLA, USC, Colorado.  Go Buffs (again!)
Georgia has to play LSU, A&M, @Tenn.  Go Aggies/Vols!

In summary, we really like TCU, Oklahoma, Colorado, and South Carolina down the stretch.  PAC 12 chaos is also probably a good thing.

If LSU finishes blistering hot -- like win out and pick up at least 2 wins in the SEC tourney hot -- there's a chance they sneak into the RPI top 50 and our Maui win slides up to Quadrant 1.

If Georgia backslides too much, they could fall out of the RPI top 75 and we would have a Quadrant 3 loss.

Geaux Tigers!  Don't suck too much, Dawgs!

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #430 on: February 22, 2018, 01:58:45 PM »
If LSU finishes blistering hot -- like win out and pick up at least 2 wins in the SEC tourney hot -- there's a chance they sneak into the RPI top 50 and our Maui win slides up to Quadrant 1.

If Georgia backslides too much, they could fall out of the RPI top 75 and we would have a Quadrant 3 loss.

SJU is also right on the cutoff of Q1 road loss and Q2 home win.  They're at 75 in RPI and thats the last spot.  We need them to win a couple games here.

UNC Eagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #431 on: February 22, 2018, 02:01:45 PM »
I asked him on Twitter and he said 4 more wins in a row, or 5 if we win out and get the 7 seed which I don't even know if that's possible. I think he's way off on this one.
This is what my line of thinking is. Gives MU good resume and the one more quality win gets a good seeding to boot. I think it is possible.
UNC Grad MU Fan

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #432 on: February 22, 2018, 02:04:55 PM »
SJU is also right on the cutoff of Q1 road loss and Q2 home win.  They're at 75 in RPI and thats the last spot.  We need them to win a couple games here.

No worries.  The Johnnies have to win out to fulfill my 5-way tie fantasy anyway.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #433 on: February 22, 2018, 02:09:25 PM »

LSU and Georgia don't play each other do they?
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #434 on: February 22, 2018, 02:14:04 PM »
how does Joey construct his bracket?
A - He tries to forecast how teams will finish the season and put together a bracket that most closely resembles how he thinks the committee will select teams

Or

B - Its real time. If the season ends today, this is who he thinks would be in and out?

I wonder if part of not mentioning Marquette is that be thinks we will slip up over the next 3 games.
It may have to do with the Howard injury, which makes MU hard to predict.

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #435 on: February 22, 2018, 02:16:58 PM »
LSU and Georgia don't play each other do they?

Saturday in Columbia.

Honestly, the SEC might make for the best conference viewing in the next 10 days.  3rd thru 12th separated by two games.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #436 on: February 22, 2018, 02:18:37 PM »
Saturday in Columbia.

Honestly, the SEC might make for the best conference viewing in the next 10 days.  3rd thru 12th separated by two games.

So is that a no-win or no-lose situation for us?

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #437 on: February 22, 2018, 02:56:53 PM »
Tonight:

Washington @ Stanford
UCLA @ Utah. Not sure here.
Arizona State @ Oregon. One more loss would definitely eliminate Oregon
Charlotte @ Western Kentucky. don't hold your breath

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #438 on: February 22, 2018, 03:00:26 PM »
Tonight:

Washington @ Stanford

Gotta be Utah, UCLA is projected in at the moment, Utah is projected behind us.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #439 on: February 22, 2018, 03:30:10 PM »
Tonight:

Washington @ Stanford

Oregon ain’t getting in.

ASU is lucky they started so hot
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #440 on: February 22, 2018, 03:44:43 PM »
Oregon ain’t getting in.

ASU is lucky they started so hot

Yah, I'd root for Oregon in that one. 

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #441 on: February 22, 2018, 04:11:52 PM »
Most of this doesn't matter until conference tournaments start. Rather than focusing on nightly matchups, better perspective is how bubble teams roads in their conference tournament lineup. The real concern is if a team like Northwestern, San Diego St, or Oregon win their conference tournaments.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #442 on: February 22, 2018, 04:16:44 PM »
Yah, I'd root for Oregon in that one.

Eh. ASU is a 6 seed and has won 3 of 4 since their skid. They are basically locked in. That game is probably irrelevant to our bubble hopes.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #443 on: February 22, 2018, 04:17:27 PM »
Most of this doesn't matter until conference tournaments start. Rather than focusing on nightly matchups, better perspective is how bubble teams roads in their conference tournament lineup. The real concern is if a team like Northwestern, San Diego St, or Oregon win their conference tournaments.

I don't know much about the MWC this year, but I'm not at all concerned about Oregon or Northwestern winning their conference tournament.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #444 on: February 22, 2018, 04:52:07 PM »
I don't know much about the MWC this year, but I'm not at all concerned about Oregon or Northwestern winning their conference tournament.

Bigger point being is that it happens every year, teams from out of nowhere are going to steal bids. The only game that should matter to MU fans at this point is @ DPU on Saturday. Once conference tourney week(s) start, everything can change out of nowhere.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #445 on: February 22, 2018, 04:53:17 PM »
Tonight:

Washington @ Stanford

Utah per T-rank site recommendations. We are pretty decent Utah fans for now.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #446 on: February 22, 2018, 04:59:41 PM »
Eh. ASU is a 6 seed and has won 3 of 4 since their skid. They are basically locked in. That game is probably irrelevant to our bubble hopes.

Most likely yes.  But ASU is 7-7 in a meh league.  I have a real hard time seeing an 8-10 P12 team get an invite. 

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #447 on: February 22, 2018, 05:14:44 PM »
He's at little risk of endangering his reputation.....at this point of the season there aren't that many fanbases that are paying that close attention outside of the E$PN contracted teams.

Plus, the man makes brackets for a living, so let's pump the brakes on how much reputation he has.

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #448 on: February 22, 2018, 05:27:10 PM »
Saturday in Columbia.

In South Carolina???

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #449 on: February 22, 2018, 05:41:12 PM »
In South Carolina???

Sorry, Athens.

Eleven months after the fact and my brain's still fixated on our "neutral site" screw job.

feedback