'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bubble Watch 2018  (Read 244127 times)

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
Re: Bubble Watch 2018
« Reply #400 on: February 22, 2018, 11:14:15 AM »
     http://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2018/02/21/bubble-banter-it-is-a-massive-night-for-teams-on-the-bubble/   

This seems overly harsh

He was also generally pretty negative about every team other than Va Tech (who I agree is now probably off the bubble).  A good handful of those teams he listed are going to get in, but he was fairly doom and gloom on all them.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #401 on: February 22, 2018, 11:22:01 AM »
You're way off on this, have you been paying attention at all to the bubble? 

Edit: Also, we definitely want Nebraska to win too, which they'll likely be a slight favorite to do.

Guess we'll see.  Admittedly I have not been following the bubble that closely.  I do value Pomeroy rankings ahead of every other metric.  So, definite bias.  Suspect Penn State will be in.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #402 on: February 22, 2018, 11:24:50 AM »
Guess we'll see.  Admittedly I have not been following the bubble that closely.  I do value Pomeroy rankings ahead of every other metric.  So, definite bias.  Suspect Penn State will be in.

As you should. But the committee doesn't necessarily do the same.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #403 on: February 22, 2018, 11:27:18 AM »
Don't get me wrong, PSU can still get in.  But to concede them as a lock right now is absurd, considering no bracket experts have them in right now. While you might value Pomeroy, it is somewhat irrelevant to predicting the field/seeds.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #404 on: February 22, 2018, 11:35:56 AM »
Barring a crazy comeback, SHU beats PC on the road. Definitely the better result for us. Solidifies the two Q1 wins we have and drops PC back towards the cutline.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #405 on: February 22, 2018, 11:43:49 AM »
Barring a crazy comeback, SHU beats PC on the road. Definitely the better result for us. Solidifies the two Q1 wins we have and drops PC back towards the cutline.

I think PC is pretty safe. Wins over Nova and X will get them in with room to spare at 9-9. That would require PC to go 1-2 against @Gtown, @X, vs. SJU, which won't necessarily be easy.  I think they would have a chance at Dayton at 8-10, but would depend on how things shake out around the bubble.  Its inevitable that a handful of sub .500 B12, SEC, BE and/or ACC teams are going to get in.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #406 on: February 22, 2018, 11:44:06 AM »

If Penn State is in, then we are a stone cold lock, even if we lose 2 or 3 more.  The committee has made it clear that they value SOS and Q1 wins as very important.  Penn State's SOS is not strong.  They only have 2 Q1 wins.  They have 2 bad losses (Q3), and their RPI is in the 80's with little chance of improving dramatically.

They would need a win @ Nebraska, and a very deep B10 tourney run to have a chance. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #407 on: February 22, 2018, 11:48:59 AM »
Bracket Matrix had both MU and PSU as "Next Four Out" as of yesterday.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #408 on: February 22, 2018, 11:49:32 AM »
I think PC is pretty safe. Wins over Nova and X will get them in with room to spare at 9-9. That would require PC to go 1-2 against @Gtown, @X, vs. SJU, which won't necessarily be easy.  I think they would have a chance at Dayton at 8-10, but would depend on how things shake out around the bubble.  Its inevitable that a handful of sub .500 B12, SEC, BE and/or ACC teams are going to get in.
They also have losses to Minnesota, UMass, and DePaul. 1-2 in their last 3 would be serious danger for them.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #409 on: February 22, 2018, 11:50:49 AM »
They also have losses to Minnesota, UMass, and DePaul. 1-2 in their last 3 would be serious danger for them.

Agreed...I just said that.  A chance for Dayton but needing help to get there would certainly be "danger" IMO. 

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #410 on: February 22, 2018, 11:54:23 AM »
Agreed...I just said that.  A chance for Dayton but needing help to get there would certainly be "danger" IMO.
Well 1-2 puts them at 9-9, I don't think they're safe there. If they lose all 3 and go 8-10 I think they're out for sure.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #411 on: February 22, 2018, 11:56:32 AM »
Well 1-2 puts them at 9-9, I don't think they're safe there. If they lose all 3 and go 8-10 I think they're out for sure.

Ahh...yes, you're correct.  Just a brainfart.  I think they're in at 9-9 with X and Nova wins, but yah, the bad losses don't help.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #412 on: February 22, 2018, 12:00:33 PM »
I mean seriously though....Lunardi's Feb 5 bracket had MU as the first team out.  Since then they've gone 3-1 with two huge road wins over Seton Hall and Creighton, and a split with red hot St. Johns.  It makes no sense.

I'll tweet at him and ask him what's up...
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #413 on: February 22, 2018, 12:08:50 PM »
We're going to keep winning, but we need the bubble teams to falter.

So let's wish the worst on our bubble competition:

Providence still has to play @Georgetown, @X, and vs. St Johns.  Go Hoyas/Muskies/Johnnies!
K-State still has to play @Oklahoma, @TCU, and Baylor.  Go Sooners/Frogs!
NC State still has to play Florida State, @Georgia Tech, and Louisville.  Go Noles/Jackets!
Texas still has to play OK State, @Kansas, and West Va.  Go Cowboys/Jayhawks/Mountaineers!
UCLA still has to play @Utah, @Colorado, and @USC.  Go Buffs/Trojans!
St. Bonaventure still has to play @VCU, Davidson, @SLU.  Go Rams/Bobcats/Billikens!
Baylor has to play @TCU, Oklahoma, and @KState.  Go Frogs (again) and Sooners (again)
Syracuse has to play @Duke, @BC, and Clemson.  Go Devils/Eagles/Tigers!
Louisville has to play @VT, Virginia, and @NC State.  Go Hokies/Cavs!
Washington has to play @Cal, Oregon St, and Oregon.  Go Bears/Beavers/Ducks!
USC has to play @Colorado, @Utah, and UCLA.  Go Buffs (again)!
Mississippi St has to play South Carolina, Tennessee, and @LSU.  Go Cocks/Vols!
LSU has to play @Georgia, @South Carolina, and MissSt.  Go Cocks (again)!
Penn State just has @Nebraska.
Nebraska just has Penn St
Utah has to play UCLA, USC, Colorado.  Go Buffs (again!)
Georgia has to play LSU, A&M, @Tenn.  Go Aggies/Vols!

In summary, we really like TCU, Oklahoma, Colorado, and South Carolina down the stretch.  PAC 12 chaos is also probably a good thing.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #414 on: February 22, 2018, 12:24:29 PM »
We're going to keep winning, but we need the bubble teams to falter.

So let's wish the worst on our bubble competition:

Providence still has to play @Georgetown, @X, and vs. St Johns.  Go Hoyas/Muskies/Johnnies!
K-State still has to play @Oklahoma, @TCU, and Baylor.  Go Sooners/Frogs!
NC State still has to play Florida State, @Georgia Tech, and Louisville.  Go Noles/Jackets!
Texas still has to play OK State, @Kansas, and West Va.  Go Cowboys/Jayhawks/Mountaineers!
UCLA still has to play @Utah, @Colorado, and @USC.  Go Buffs/Trojans!
St. Bonaventure still has to play @VCU, Davidson, @SLU.  Go Rams/Bobcats/Billikens!
Baylor has to play @TCU, Oklahoma, and @KState.  Go Frogs (again) and Sooners (again)
Syracuse has to play @Duke, @BC, and Clemson.  Go Devils/Eagles/Tigers!
Louisville has to play @VT, Virginia, and @NC State.  Go Hokies/Cavs!
Washington has to play @Cal, Oregon St, and Oregon.  Go Bears/Beavers/Ducks!
USC has to play @Colorado, @Utah, and UCLA.  Go Buffs (again)!
Mississippi St has to play South Carolina, Tennessee, and @LSU.  Go Cocks/Vols!
LSU has to play @Georgia, @South Carolina, and MissSt.  Go Cocks (again)!
Penn State just has @Nebraska.
Nebraska just has Penn St
Utah has to play UCLA, USC, Colorado.  Go Buffs (again!)
Georgia has to play LSU, A&M, @Tenn.  Go Aggies/Vols!

In summary, we really like TCU, Oklahoma, Colorado, and South Carolina down the stretch.  PAC 12 chaos is also probably a good thing.

Thanks for doing this. One quick correction, USC beat Colorado last night.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #415 on: February 22, 2018, 12:25:21 PM »
He said they need to win 4 or 5 in a row.  They've already won 2.  So he is saying they need to go 2-1 to finish BE play to have a chance - I think we all agree that 8-10 isn't getting it done.

I asked him on Twitter and he said 4 more wins in a row, or 5 if we win out and get the 7 seed which I don't even know if that's possible. I think he's way off on this one.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #416 on: February 22, 2018, 12:29:17 PM »
I asked him on Twitter and he said 4 more wins in a row, or 5 if we win out and get the 7 seed which I don't even know if that's possible. I think he's way off on this one.

Agreed.

I'll tweet at him and ask him what's up...

Cool, please share if he responds.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #417 on: February 22, 2018, 12:31:48 PM »

What does he even mean lol
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #418 on: February 22, 2018, 12:39:28 PM »
On February 5th, Joey Brackets had us as first team out and Georgia nowhere to be seen.

Since then this is what the teams have done:

Marquette:
3-1
Wins: @Seton Hall (RPI 27), @Creighton (39), St. John's (75)
Losses: St. John's (75)

Georgia:
2-3
Wins: @Florida (64), Tennessee (11)
Losses: @Vanderbilt (111), Auburn (7), @South Carolina (73)

I would argue that a road win at 27 RPI Seton Hall is comparable to a home win against 11 RPI Tennessee. A road win against Creighton is significantly better than a road win against Florida. A road loss to Saint John's is basically the same as a road loss to South Carolina. And a win over St. John's is much much better than a home loss to Auburn and a road loss to Vandy.

Yet since then, Marquette has fallen out of "First 8 Out" and Georgia has risen into it.

?-(
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #419 on: February 22, 2018, 12:47:19 PM »
how does Joey construct his bracket?
A - He tries to forecast how teams will finish the season and put together a bracket that most closely resembles how he thinks the committee will select teams

Or

B - Its real time. If the season ends today, this is who he thinks would be in and out?

I wonder if part of not mentioning Marquette is that be thinks we will slip up over the next 3 games.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #420 on: February 22, 2018, 12:47:55 PM »
how does Joey construct his bracket?
A - He tries to forecast how teams will finish the season and put together a bracket that most closely resembles how he thinks the committee will select teams

Or

B - Its real time. If the season ends today, this is who he thinks would be in and out?

I wonder if part of not mentioning Marquette is that be thinks we will slip up over the next 3 games.

B

On February 5th, Joey Brackets had us as first team out and Georgia nowhere to be seen.

Since then this is what the teams have done:

Marquette:
3-1
Wins: @Seton Hall (RPI 27), @Creighton (39), St. John's (75)
Losses: St. John's (75)

Georgia:
2-3
Wins: @Florida (64), Tennessee (11)
Losses: @Vanderbilt (111), Auburn (7), @South Carolina (73)

I would argue that a road win at 27 RPI Seton Hall is comparable to a home win against 11 RPI Tennessee. A road win against Creighton is significantly better than a road win against Florida. A road loss to Saint John's is basically the same as a road loss to South Carolina. And a win over St. John's is much much better than a home loss to Auburn and a road loss to Vandy.

Yet since then, Marquette has fallen out of "First 8 Out" and Georgia has risen into it.

?-(

Georgia is one head scratcher, but when you look at the resumes of each of the 8 teams on his first four and next four out list, there are only a couple that are comparable or better than MUs.  Its strange. 

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=55457.msg993787#msg993787

« Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 12:49:47 PM by JamilJaeJamailJrJuan »

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #421 on: February 22, 2018, 12:56:20 PM »
Joe is definitely having some ESPN bias in his bracket.  I also think that he takes his previous bracket and just slides team up or down a couple spots based on their W/L for that week (It seems like there is somewhat of a delay because we only dropped slightly during our 4 game losing streak, and we've only risen slight during the 3-1 stretch that followed) .  If he were to make a new bracket from scratch and look at the advanced numbers for all the bubble teams, we would be a lot closer than he has us.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #422 on: February 22, 2018, 01:15:18 PM »
This guy has been consistently better then Lunardi......not updated since the 19th....MU in first 4 out at that time.

https://bracketville.wordpress.com/bracketology/

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #423 on: February 22, 2018, 01:24:07 PM »
Joe is definitely having some ESPN bias in his bracket.  I also think that he takes his previous bracket and just slides team up or down a couple spots based on their W/L for that week (It seems like there is somewhat of a delay because we only dropped slightly during our 4 game losing streak, and we've only risen slight during the 3-1 stretch that followed) .  If he were to make a new bracket from scratch and look at the advanced numbers for all the bubble teams, we would be a lot closer than he has us.
Oh, you mean his full-time job?

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #424 on: February 22, 2018, 01:26:27 PM »
Oh, you mean his full-time job?
Only explanation I can come up with.  There are multiple teams ahead of us in his eyes that have worse RPI, SOS, fewer Q1/Q2 wins and more Q3/Q4 loses.  What else could it be?

feedback