'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bubble Watch 2018  (Read 244158 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Bubble Watch 2018
« Reply #1800 on: March 10, 2018, 10:52:27 PM »
Here is the NIT Bracket Matrix.  1 seed versus Wagner.

http://bracketmatrix.com/nit
The NIT will be pretty challenging if these bracketmatrix teams  are the ones that end up in the field.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1801 on: March 10, 2018, 10:58:43 PM »
I don't think I realized how weak USC's resume is until now. On paper they have 4 Q1 wins, which is decent for a bubble team. But then I looked at those 4 Q1 wins:

34 Middle Tennessee State (on neutral court)
42 New Mexico State (on neutral court)
@57 Utah
@72 Oregon

If the committee is truly about who you beat then USC might need to beat Zona tonight to earn their bid. I would argue that our 4th best win (Hall at home) is better than their best win. Throw in a sub 200 loss to Princeton at home and I don't see why they should be included without the autobid.

I was just thinking the same. They would literally have zero wins over tourney teams unless MTSU gets in. The PAC-12 should be a 1-bid league.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1802 on: March 10, 2018, 11:00:48 PM »
I was just thinking the same. They would literally have zero wins over tourney teams unless MTSU gets in. The PAC-12 should be a 1-bid league.

Yep. But I bet 2 of USC, UCLA and AZ State get in.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1803 on: March 10, 2018, 11:01:23 PM »

Looking like it’s gonna be in the committees hands

Zona got on a second half roll
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

fjm

• All American
« Reply #1804 on: March 11, 2018, 09:42:04 AM »
The way this USA TODAY article I just read, was written, it sounds like they know something that no one else knows. It honestly sounds like they have an insider in the actual committee.

"Providence, meanwhile, shot up to a No. 9 seed after entering the league tournament as a projected No. 12 — in a play-in game. Seton Hall, a projected No. 7 seed, and Butler, another No. 9 seed, are in the safety zone as well.

On the unsafe area of the bubble, it’s the Big East that’s benefiting from ‘Nova and Xavier’s prowess — as well as the Friars’ late surge in the conference tourney. Fringe teams Marquette and Creighton are both two of the last four teams in the projected field — as No. 11 seeds slated to play in Dayton for play-in competition. They’re set to beat out ACC bubble teams Louisville, Notre Dame and Syracuse."

Check out this article from USA TODAY:

NCAA tournament bracketology: Big East set to win top seeds, bubble battles on Selection Sunday

https://usat.ly/2nTpuku

peterpan

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #1805 on: March 11, 2018, 09:46:48 AM »
The way this USA TODAY article I just read, was written, it sounds like they know something that no one else knows. It honestly sounds like they have an insider in the actual committee.

"Providence, meanwhile, shot up to a No. 9 seed after entering the league tournament as a projected No. 12 — in a play-in game. Seton Hall, a projected No. 7 seed, and Butler, another No. 9 seed, are in the safety zone as well.

On the unsafe area of the bubble, it’s the Big East that’s benefiting from ‘Nova and Xavier’s prowess — as well as the Friars’ late surge in the conference tourney. Fringe teams Marquette and Creighton are both two of the last four teams in the projected field — as No. 11 seeds slated to play in Dayton for play-in competition. They’re set to beat out ACC bubble teams Louisville, Notre Dame and Syracuse."

NCAA tournament bracketology: Big East set to win top seeds, bubble battles on Selection Sunday

“As a whole, the big east “is” sending 7 teams to the tournament.”

fjm

• All American
« Reply #1806 on: March 11, 2018, 09:49:24 AM »

Exactly. And this isn't a "bracketology" article.

This is an article written about the strength of the big east and the Nova/PC game.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #1807 on: March 11, 2018, 09:49:40 AM »

Man do I like the sound of that—500 p cannot get here soon enough.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1808 on: March 11, 2018, 09:53:58 AM »

In reading the article, that sounds more like insider 'scoop' than idle speculation.  Look, it wouldn't be beyond reasonable for the committee to acknowledge that two of the very best teams are in the BEast and that all who played them 4-5 times will be rewarded.  There are no off nights in this league.  I guess we'll find out tonight.

On the flip side, if we are the sole BEast team in the NIT, I damn well want to win it.  Assuming we play up to our potential, we absolutely can.  And chick and I will endeavor to get up to MKE for the games.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #1809 on: March 11, 2018, 09:59:46 AM »
I've been very guardedly optimistic since late Wednesday night, we deserve to be in based on the committees criteria. I'm hoping they do the right thing and leave the USC's and ASU's out instead of trying to protect conference embarrassment.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #1810 on: March 11, 2018, 10:01:13 AM »
I have read several statements similar to this one on scoop the last few days. MU is a bad defensive team. That’s a fact. Bad defensive teams do not make deep tournament runs. IMO, we will not be able to win 5 games in a row by outscoring each opponent.

I would love to see it, and I will be at each Milwaukee game, but don’t see it happening.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #1811 on: March 11, 2018, 10:03:22 AM »
Yeah I've been very optimistic (and surprisingly, for all the flack lately I would say Guru has been extremely optimistic as well, so shoutout to him), I think we maybe slide into this tourney. Which would be great.

Having said that, I'm optimistic in everything in life, and I still have never won the lottery or been very lucky.... but we got this. Maybe. I hope!

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #1812 on: March 11, 2018, 10:09:06 AM »
Yeah I've been very optimistic (and surprisingly, for all the flack lately I would say Guru has been extremely optimistic as well, so shoutout to him), I think we maybe slide into this tourney. Which would be great.

Having said that, I'm optimistic in everything in life, and I still have never won the lottery or been very lucky.... but we got this. Maybe. I hope!
Shoutout to Guru, you're a nut but you're our nut.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1813 on: March 11, 2018, 10:15:00 AM »
Shoutout to Guru, you're a nut but you're our nut.
:P
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

AZMarqfan

• Starter
« Reply #1814 on: March 11, 2018, 10:16:09 AM »
I don’t get the anti-Big East bias.  If Butler, Providence, or Hall we’re in the ACC they’d have better records due to the weak bottom of the league and unbalanced schedule.  And they’d be getting higher seeds than 9.  The BE this year was very competitive with even the bottom 3 teams playing very good ball in the last half of the season.  In small conferences, DePaul and St. John’s would have run away with the league titles.  BE definitely deserves 7 teams

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #1815 on: March 11, 2018, 10:20:26 AM »
ESPN just listed the last seven teams on the bubble - St. Mary's, Notre Dame, Arizona State, Oklahoma State, Louisville, Middle Tennessee State and Oklahoma.  Marquette not even listed. 

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #1816 on: March 11, 2018, 10:21:21 AM »
I don’t get the anti-Big East bias.  If Butler, Providence, or Hall we’re in the ACC they’d have better records due to the weak bottom of the league and unbalanced schedule.  And they’d be getting higher seeds than 9.  The BE this year was very competitive with even the bottom 3 teams playing very good ball in the last half of the season.  In small conferences, DePaul and St. John’s would have run away with the league titles.  BE definitely deserves 7 teams
I think that's important too, even our bottom feeders aren't terrible, saw it early in conference play that there were no days off.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #1817 on: March 11, 2018, 10:21:24 AM »

And that's why people on scoop and even people that DONT follow MU on twitter (search for their tweets by using Marquette and not MUBB) have been saying they wouldn't be surprised if MU was in and even not in the "first four" games.

Forgot the tweet but someone that is not a MU fan basically said "9-9, and 4 of those losses are to a #1 seed, and ESPN is pushing ND and Louisville for the last spots?"

(This tweet was in a string about ESPN's bias towards conferences on their channel)

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #1818 on: March 11, 2018, 10:23:15 AM »
I have read several statements similar to this one on scoop the last few days. MU is a bad defensive team. That’s a fact. Bad defensive teams do not make deep tournament runs. IMO, we will not be able to win 5 games in a row by outscoring each opponent.

I would love to see it, and I will be at each Milwaukee game, but don’t see it happening.
I agree. I wouldn’t give us very good odds of winning the NIT and I’m not sure we’d even make a deep run.

That being said, let’s hope this this is a moot point by the end of the day!
No Finish Line

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #1819 on: March 11, 2018, 10:25:50 AM »
Marquette not even listed as first 4 out or last 4 in on espn right now.

What does this mean? We're secured or we're so far out?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1820 on: March 11, 2018, 10:27:44 AM »

We are only on 9 of 107 brackets on this morning's bracket matrix.  I would be extremely surprised if we are in.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1821 on: March 11, 2018, 10:29:27 AM »

That means according to ESPN(Lunardi) they don't even think MU is close to being in.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1822 on: March 11, 2018, 10:31:28 AM »
ESPN just listed the last seven teams on the bubble - St. Mary's, Notre Dame, Arizona State, Oklahoma State, Louisville, Middle Tennessee State and Oklahoma.  Marquette not even listed.

SO YOU'RE SAYING WE'RE IN??????

nyg

• All American
« Reply #1823 on: March 11, 2018, 10:34:30 AM »

If you go by Lunardi, who is pretty good, that reflects a possible #2 seed in the NIT. 

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1824 on: March 11, 2018, 10:45:06 AM »
If you go by Lunardi, who is pretty good, that reflects a possible #2 seed in the NIT.

Lunardi is actually pretty bad

That said, we are gonna be out

Don’t agree with it tho
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....