Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bubble Watch 2018  (Read 244122 times)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: Bubble Watch 2018
« Reply #1600 on: March 09, 2018, 01:45:36 PM »
I believe MTSU non conference schedule rates pretty strong. Looking at it, you can tell they tried.

They beat 0 at large teams.

That’s bad
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #1601 on: March 09, 2018, 01:46:59 PM »
Already hate Bama football...guess I'll add bball to the list now... >:(
It's like your in my mind. Or is that all the Roll Tide's, I will hear on the Finebaum Show.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1602 on: March 09, 2018, 01:51:32 PM »
Think Bama was in after their win yesterday..don't think this affects MU. Still don't think they are getting in regardless, but IF they do..felt all along it would be at the expense of someone most thought were in awhile ago..but aren't..like Saint Mary's, like Louisville, like NC State..every year there is a school or 2 that doesn't get in that everyone assumes would..and a school or 2 that get in that most weren't giving much thought to..like MU this year.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1603 on: March 09, 2018, 01:56:37 PM »
I believe MTSU non conference schedule rates pretty strong. Looking at it, you can tell they tried.

Nah. The best team they scheduled was Vanderbilt. Also played USC, Miami and Auburn in events but lost all 3.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1604 on: March 09, 2018, 01:56:58 PM »
Think Bama was in after their win yesterday..don't think this affects MU. Still don't think they are getting in regardless, but IF they do..felt all along it would be at the expense of someone most thought were in awhile ago..but aren't..like Saint Mary's, like Louisville, like NC State..every year there is a school or 2 that doesn't get in that everyone assumes would..and a school or 2 that get in that most weren't giving much thought to..like MU this year.

Bracket matrix is usually a pretty good guide.  About half the time, they are spot on - like last year.

The other half they chose a team seemingly out of it prior to the selection.  For instance in 2016, Vandy and Tulsa got into the tournament.  Tulsa jumped over 10 schools in BM's final poll and Vandy jumped 5.

The bad news is that if it has truly come to that, Marquette will be lucky to get into the play-in game.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #1605 on: March 09, 2018, 01:59:39 PM »
Nah. The best team they scheduled was Vanderbilt. Also played USC, Miami and Auburn in events but lost all 3.
@Murray State, Belmont and home and home in the same season vs FGCU.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1606 on: March 09, 2018, 02:01:52 PM »

Bracket matrix is usually a pretty good guide.  About half the time, they are spot on - like last year.

The other half they chose a team seemingly out of it prior to the selection.  For instance in 2016, Vandy and Tulsa got into the tournament.  Tulsa jumped over 10 schools in BM's final poll and Vandy jumped 5.

The bad news is that if it has truly come to that, Marquette will be lucky to get into the play-in game.

I'm honestly okay with a #1 seed in the NIT ONLY because it means home games(which I can attend) and most importantly..theoretically it means the season won't end as soon..I'm ok with that.

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1607 on: March 09, 2018, 02:03:09 PM »
@Murray State, Belmont and home and home in the same season vs FGCU.

They scheduled some good low majors. That counts for a little bit. Shouldn't count for enough, in my opinion. They had 3 cracks at tournament teams. They failed each time and racked up some bad losses too.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1608 on: March 09, 2018, 02:04:34 PM »

Then again..for all we know, MU could have already been voted into the field...or..conversely it could turn out they weren't even as close as some thought..we just don't know what the committee thinks.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #1609 on: March 09, 2018, 02:04:49 PM »
They scheduled some good low majors. That counts for a little bit. Shouldn't count for enough, in my opinion. They had 3 cracks at tournament teams. They failed each time and racked up some bad losses too.
I think you arguing something I'm not saying.
-Bill Walton

WayOfTheWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #1610 on: March 09, 2018, 02:06:31 PM »
It's like your in my mind. Or is that all the Roll Tide's, I will hear on the Finebaum Show.

In my high school football days our mascot was the Patriots and we always would psych ourselves up by yelling "ROLL TIDE!" over and over again. Looking back, it made no sense at all!

Also now that I realize we represented the two most HATED football organizations AT THE SAME TIME in an act of utter ignorance, I have never felt more ashamed of anything in my life...  :'(

250th post - "LOOK at me!...I am the Captain now..."

fjm

• All American
« Reply #1611 on: March 09, 2018, 03:09:40 PM »
FWIW Dance Card had us with a 4 team buffer this morning and Alabama was already ahead of us.

Does this mean anything? Not really but it keeps me hopeful.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1612 on: March 09, 2018, 03:37:31 PM »
I think you arguing something I'm not saying.

Think you're correct after re-reading what you said.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1613 on: March 09, 2018, 03:38:26 PM »
FWIW Dance Card had us with a 4 team buffer this morning and Alabama was already ahead of us.

Does this mean anything? Not really but it keeps me hopeful.

It's no less accurate than other bracketologists. So it means as much as anything else we're discussing!

There are definitely projections that have us in. So there will be a chance for sure.

ESPN's Strength of Resume, which claims to be the most accurate predictor, has us safely in as a 10 seed.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bpi/_/view/resume/page/2
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 03:42:06 PM by MUeagle1090 »

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #1614 on: March 09, 2018, 04:01:37 PM »
So we played more #1 seeds than they played tourney teams, 5 v 3, maybe 6 with Purdue

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1615 on: March 09, 2018, 04:19:55 PM »
This is interesting... he took the RPI and Quadrant system and turned it into a ranking tool-

http://hoopshd.com/nitty-gritty-rankings/

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1616 on: March 09, 2018, 04:25:10 PM »
This is interesting... he took the RPI and Quadrant system and turned it into a ranking tool-

Very interesting.  Especially when you read the narrative at the top.  Sounds like this guy's formula usually nails the teams that are seen as outliers.  He currently has us 8 teams from the cutline. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
Strength of Record keeps Marquette in as a 10-seed
« Reply #1617 on: March 09, 2018, 04:30:22 PM »
It's no less accurate than other bracketologists. So it means as much as anything else we're discussing!

There are definitely projections that have us in. So there will be a chance for sure.

ESPN's Strength of Resume, which claims to be the most accurate predictor, has us safely in as a 10 seed.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/bpi/_/view/resume/page/2

Yes, the piece from last year on Nate Silver's blog made that case.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/on-the-ncaa-bubble-heres-the-number-to-watch/

That post had us 41st in SOR - one spot worse than we are this year - and of course we did get a 10-seed.  Last year it gave us an 88.6 percent chance of making the tournament - though that was based to a lesser degree on other ratings such as KenPom that is not supposed to be a factor.
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #1618 on: March 09, 2018, 04:38:04 PM »

This is awesome thank you. I love the internet. Biggest wild card indeed is how the new quadrants will factor in.

BM1090

• All American
Re: Strength of Record keeps Marquette in as a 10-seed
« Reply #1619 on: March 09, 2018, 04:43:09 PM »
Yes, the piece from last year on Nate Silver's blog made that case.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/on-the-ncaa-bubble-heres-the-number-to-watch/

That post had us 41st in SOR - one spot worse than we are this year - and of course we did get a 10-seed.  Last year it gave us an 88.6 percent chance of making the tournament - though that was based to a lesser degree on other ratings such as KenPom that is not supposed to be a factor.

This is it, thanks. So Strength of Record this year has us safely in. We'll see.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #1620 on: March 09, 2018, 05:42:32 PM »

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #1621 on: March 09, 2018, 05:50:49 PM »
A little off topic but if we get a Dayton draw does anyone know when we will know what day/time we would play?
No Finish Line

peterpan

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #1622 on: March 09, 2018, 05:52:55 PM »
A little off topic but if we get a Dayton draw does anyone know when we will know what day/time we would play?

Tuesday/Wednesday at night. Doubleheaders. 

Edit: misread lol

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1623 on: March 09, 2018, 05:54:17 PM »
Do we think St. Bonaventure could get left out with a loss? They don't really have great wins at all.

Wondering if I should cheer for Richmond and put all my eggs in the URI basket or go ahead and cheer for St Bonaventure.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1624 on: March 09, 2018, 05:55:16 PM »
ABD?

feedback