'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Bubble Watch 2018  (Read 244158 times)

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
Re: Bubble Watch 2018
« Reply #1250 on: March 07, 2018, 11:54:45 PM »
No. They've said on numerous occasions that is no longer considered as criteria and that games played in November mean as much as games played in February.

Well that is stupid
Ok n asu have no business in the tourney they are trainwrecks n holden might even get a suspension!!
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #1251 on: March 07, 2018, 11:56:52 PM »
I can see why just looking at last 10 might seem unfair. But, how can you ignore a team losing  11 of its last 15 as Oklahoma did?  Or collapsing like ASU has?

Although last 10 or how you finish may not be an official factor, it must seep into the thinking of committee members.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1252 on: March 07, 2018, 11:58:20 PM »
Let me analyze it this way.  We've got a much better chance of hearing our name called Sunday compared to when Strus elevated for that uncontested 3.   :o   

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1253 on: March 07, 2018, 11:58:45 PM »
Just gonna have to put a nice down payment for the NCAA tourney on Nova tomorrow.

Since Providence we’ve only lost the DePaul game when I’ve bet against us.

And if this fails, I’ll double up on us missing the tourney.

I should lose at least 1 of those. Money gods hate me.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

auburnmarquette

• Team Captain
    • Value Add Explaination
« Reply #1254 on: March 08, 2018, 12:00:36 AM »
Is the selection committee no longer even considering the last 10 games ?? That used to be a committee criteria.  Not only has Mu been pretty good lately but Arizona state and Oklahoma have literally been terrible for 6-8 weeks now.  Does november matter that much if u have been horrible for the better part of the last two months??? N i dont mean average i think OK is 4-11 in their last 15 and ASU similar

Unfortunately you are correct - it is absolutely ruled out as a factor as has kenpom (because including it would give incentive to run up scores).
http://www.pudnersports.com/ for my blogs or articles and www.valueaddbasketball.com for for current and historic rankings.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1255 on: March 08, 2018, 12:01:11 AM »
Well that is stupid
Ok n asu have no business in the tourney they are trainwrecks n holden might even get a suspension!!

I think they want to stress the importance of non-con games, which I'm fine with, but agree that recent play should matter. If your team is in freefall, it should matter.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1256 on: March 08, 2018, 12:01:46 AM »
Someone should remind Nova that they'll make more money if we make the tournament too

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1257 on: March 08, 2018, 12:05:21 AM »
Regardless, this team has now met my expectations. 19 wins. Before the year I would have thought that locked up a tourney birth, but it's a strong bubble now. I still think we get in, but a chance to lock it up for sure tomorrow.

LOTS of bubble action tomorrow. A ton of daytime games with implications.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #1258 on: March 08, 2018, 12:07:09 AM »
Someone should remind Nova that they'll make more money if we make the tournament too

I'd be willing to guess that Nova can make more money as a 1 seed than losing to MU. And, I'd be willing to guess that Nova's AD might not be able to overrule Jay Wright's desire to win rather than to make money, at least in one particular game.

Nevertheless, go MU!!

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1259 on: March 08, 2018, 12:52:46 AM »
Language sure is changing regarding MU on ESPN's bubble watch

Work to do

Marquette (19-12, 9-9 Big East)
(BPI: 45 | SOS: 12 | SOR: 42 | RPI: 56)

Not only is it the case that Marquette might make the NCAA tournament, the Golden Eagles might have already done so. Season sweeps of Creighton and Seton Hall, a .500 record in the Big East (same as Butler) could get the job done.

Then again, Marquette can end any speculation by taking down Villanova in the Big East tournament quarterfinals. A win against the Wildcats could elevate Marquette all the way to a single-digit seed.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1260 on: March 08, 2018, 12:56:53 AM »

Work to do

Not only is it the case that Marquette might make the NCAA tournament, the Golden Eagles might have already done so. Season sweeps of Creighton and Seton Hall, a .500 record in the Big East (same as Butler) could get the job done.

Then again, Marquette can end any speculation by taking down Villanova in the Big East tournament quarterfinals. A win against the Wildcats could elevate Marquette all the way to a single-digit seed.

Will we make it or not? Not sure. But, we're a great example of why sports media is total sh1t. There were people literally saying "Marquette isn't a bubble team" and now are saying they may be in. It's beyond stupid. A bunch of effin idiot talking heads. My frustration isn't with regard to MU, but this is typical. Good for MU fans to see it.

Let's just win manana and (hopefully) be in for kinda-certain.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1261 on: March 08, 2018, 04:23:36 AM »

Work to do

Lol what a joke.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #1262 on: March 08, 2018, 06:19:15 AM »
https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/bracketology/

Palm who had us in the first four now has us as a first round bye with an 11 seed.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #1263 on: March 08, 2018, 06:30:01 AM »

Palm who had us in the first four now has us as a first round bye with an 11 seed.
I think our disgusting win that many are complaining about might have gotten us in...because we didn't LOSE.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1264 on: March 08, 2018, 06:36:42 AM »
I'd be willing to guess that Nova can make more money as a 1 seed than losing to MU. And, I'd be willing to guess that Nova's AD might not be able to overrule Jay Wright's desire to win rather than to make money, at least in one particular game.

Well, let's hope nobody reminds them of that.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

the eagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #1265 on: March 08, 2018, 06:49:03 AM »
Our resume, based on a loss tomorrow, would have got us in any of the last 10 years when looking at comparable resumes. That guarantees nothing, but we've done the bare minimum we should need to do to get in.

Tell Nebraska about history as they sit on a 13-5 record. Conference scheduling for them was crazy this year.

Do you think having the big ten tournament a week early hurts the big ten? They sit and watch while everyone stil plays and moves around the bubble based on the results happening this week.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #1266 on: March 08, 2018, 06:59:34 AM »

Heard him on Sirius radio this morning on my way into work, and he was asked about MU, and whether or not they needed to beat Nova and he said, he wasn't sure if they had to because of everything else that has gone on around the bubble the last few days.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1267 on: March 08, 2018, 07:22:27 AM »
Tell Nebraska about history as they sit on a 13-5 record. Conference scheduling for them was crazy this year.

Do you think having the big ten tournament a week early hurts the big ten? They sit and watch while everyone stil plays and moves around the bubble based on the results happening this week.

As the committee has said they are deemphasizing conference records, Nebraska just has to look at comparable resumes. They played a mid-major conference schedule. They only played 5 top-50 conference games and went 1-4 in those games. Blame a down Big Ten, blame an unbalanced schedule, but when you are 19-1 against Q3/4 teams and 3-9 against the rest of the country, that's not a tournament resume.

I'm not sure if it helps or hurts them. On the plus side, their resumes are complete so the committee knows how to evaluate them and doesn't have to adjust on the fly. What really hurts the Big Ten is that it simply isn't very good.

Non-con is where league quality really is determined. What stands out to me about the Big Ten is that other than their 4 locks, the only teams mentioned as possible bubble teams, Nebraska and Penn State, have ZERO combined Q1/2 wins against non-con opponents. That's a freaking pathetic statement for that league.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #1268 on: March 08, 2018, 08:04:25 AM »
I couldn't stop staring at his one upper-tooth.

He's got a face for radio
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Windyplayer

• All American
« Reply #1269 on: March 08, 2018, 08:07:52 AM »

Awesome.

the eagle

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #1270 on: March 08, 2018, 08:42:13 AM »
As the committee has said they are deemphasizing conference records, Nebraska just has to look at comparable resumes. They played a mid-major conference schedule. They only played 5 top-50 conference games and went 1-4 in those games. Blame a down Big Ten, blame an unbalanced schedule, but when you are 19-1 against Q3/4 teams and 3-9 against the rest of the country, that's not a tournament resume.

I'm not sure if it helps or hurts them. On the plus side, their resumes are complete so the committee knows how to evaluate them and doesn't have to adjust on the fly. What really hurts the Big Ten is that it simply isn't very good.

Non-con is where league quality really is determined. What stands out to me about the Big Ten is that other than their 4 locks, the only teams mentioned as possible bubble teams, Nebraska and Penn State, have ZERO combined Q1/2 wins against non-con opponents. That's a freaking pathetic statement for that league.

I agree - I don’t think their resume holds weight. Nevertheless it is still fascinating to see a team in the big ten record such a strong conference record, but be considered on the outskirts looking in. Speaks volumes on the down year for the conference.  Your last comment on zero wins vs non con quality opponents is miserable.

In terms of the big ten being done, just seems that it is so much easier to evaluate a resume through the week on teams that are still active versus a team that hasn’t played in a week.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #1271 on: March 08, 2018, 08:56:37 AM »

Nebraska is also the perfect example of why these huge conferences don’t work.  Because they are so big, you con’t play a round robin schedule.  So yes, they have a really good conference record, but they didn’t play some of the big dogs twice, and when they did, they lost.  So the conference record is bloated because they played Rutgers, Minnesota and Illinois two times.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #1272 on: March 08, 2018, 09:08:26 AM »
Unfortunately you are correct - it is absolutely ruled out as a factor as has kenpom (because including it would give incentive to run up scores).

KenPom no longer part of selection criteria?  Hadn't heard that.  Terrible decision.  Has the NCAA made such a ruling as it relates to football, to disincentive teams from "running up scores?" 

On a note or sportsmanship/running the score up, anyone see the end of Colorado ASU game last night?  Colorado up 10 wit roughly 10 seconds left, ASU loosely guarding CU's offensive possesion, CU runs a backdoor alley oop.  Trae Young from ASU levels the kid who converted lob.  Solid.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #1273 on: March 08, 2018, 09:20:31 AM »
KenPom no longer part of selection criteria?  Hadn't heard that.  Terrible decision.  Has the NCAA made such a ruling as it relates to football, to disincentive teams from "running up scores?" 

On a note or sportsmanship/running the score up, anyone see the end of Colorado ASU game last night?  Colorado up 10 wit roughly 10 seconds left, ASU loosely guarding CU's offensive possesion, CU runs a backdoor alley oop.  Trae Young from ASU levels the kid who converted lob.  Solid.

KenPom is 100% most assuredly considered by the committee... it's right there in black and white on the Team Sheet.  Just follow the orange arrow (and don't get distracted by that shiite about Canada being on sale):

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #1274 on: March 08, 2018, 09:21:05 AM »

According to the teamsheets, Ken Pom is included.  See box number 2.

https://i.turner.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/images/2017/12/04/team_sheet_guide1.pdf

“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato