[May 21, 2024, 11:51:36 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by DoctorV
[May 21, 2024, 11:33:38 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by MUbiz
[May 21, 2024, 05:59:48 PM]

NIL Future by muwarrior69
[May 21, 2024, 11:39:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Syracuse guard Michael Carter-Williams caught shoplifting.  (Read 5906 times)

VegasWarrior77

• All American
Syracuse guard Michael Carter-Williams caught shoplifting.
« on: December 14, 2012, 06:23:31 PM »
http://blog.syracuse.com/orangebasketball_impact/print.html?entry=/2012/12/syracuse_basketball_guard_mich.html

Picture: http://instagram.com/p/TDpoVHIzWC/

Syracuse basketball guard Michael Carter-Williams caught shoplifting, two sources say.

Syracuse University basketball player Michael Carter-Williams was seen shoplifting from Lord & Taylor at Destiny USA late Sunday afternoon and paid the store a $500 fine to settle the matter, according to two sources with direct knowledge of the situation.

Carter-Williams put a bathrobe and gloves into a backpack while in a fitting room, both sources said.

According to one of the sources, store security saw Carter-Williams go into a fitting room with merchandise and a backpack and then leave the fitting room without the merchandise visible. The activity was captured on the store’s security video, the source said.

The security staff at Lord & Taylor detained Carter-Williams as he left the store on the second level of the mall.

The security staffer handcuffed Carter-Williams on the escalator. Photos of Carter-Williams and a plain-clothes security officer circulated on Twitter within minutes of the episode.

Both sources said Carter-Williams signed a form acknowledging the theft and paid the fine with his credit card. The store did not call police and he was not charged.

On Tuesday, Carter-Williams, a sophomore point guard for the No. 4 Orange, told The Post-Standard “the whole thing was really a misunderstanding.” He declined to explain the misunderstanding.

Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim repeated that Friday.

“It’s a misunderstanding,” Boeheim said. “That’s what I was told by Michael. Michael has told me exactly all he needs to tell me. It’s his private business. He settled it. I’ve got to respect that.

“I don’t know what information you have,” Boeheim said. “Unless the store comes to me, my hands are tied.”

Boeheim declined to make Carter-Williams available Friday. “He’s said all he’s going to say,” Boeheim said.

Lord & Taylor’s loss prevention manager, Greg Campbell, declined comment when reached Friday afternoon.

A mall security official says Lord & Taylor’s handling of the matter was typical.

Syracuse police are called to Destiny 300 to 400 times a year to charge people with petit larceny for shoplifting, said Tim Erwin, director of security at the mall. But most shoplifting cases never get that far, he said.

If the shoplifter is cooperative and admits stealing merchandise, a store’s loss prevention officer usually offers to settle the matter with a “civil demand,” Erwin said. He was speaking generally and not about the Carter-Williams case, which mall security was not involved in.

Loss prevention officers can’t stop someone unless they’ve witnessed the larceny, either on video or in person, Erwin said. They can’t detain someone only on the grounds that they’d seen him come into the store with an empty backpack and leave with a full backpack, he said.

Carter-Williams admitted that he stole $120 worth of merchandise, according to one source. The items included a Polo Ralph Lauren bathrobe priced at $85 and a pair of Polo Ralph Lauren gloves valued at $35.

Lord & Taylor’s store policy dictates how to deal with shoplifters, according to one source. In most cases, the police are not called. Instead, a person who admits to shoplifting must pay a civil fine. The fine is five times the value of the merchandise with a cap at $500. When the fine is paid, the accused is released. Shoplifters are not allowed to keep the merchandise.

Since the value of the merchandise that Carter-Williams is alleged to have taken was more than $100, he paid $500, according to one source.

Carter-Williams is also banned from entering any Lord & Taylor store for the next two years, one source said. The store photographed Carter-Williams.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 06:26:50 PM by VegasWarrior77 »
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

MarquetteDano

• All American
Re: Syracuse guard Michael Carter-Williams caught shoplifting.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 09:46:28 PM »
Boeheim sure knows how to pick them.  As much as I will miss the Big East could there be a lower class of characters than the Cuse basketball program?

Melo, Carter-Williams, Fein, Devendorf....

ACC better start finding some good PR people.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 08:06:20 AM »
I just don't get this. Barring injury, MCW will be a top-5 pick in the NBA draft next year. If he keeps up what he's been doing into conference play, he's a first-team All-American and unquestioned Big East Player of the Year. Where on earth do you get the mindset that you need this stuff so badly you should steal it when the world will be your oyster in about 7-8 months?
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 08:15:50 AM »
I just don't get this. Barring injury, MCW will be a top-5 pick in the NBA draft next year. If he keeps up what he's been doing into conference play, he's a first-team All-American and unquestioned Big East Player of the Year. Where on earth do you get the mindset that you need this stuff so badly you should steal it when the world will be your oyster in about 7-8 months?
+1
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 08:20:37 AM »
So if this was MU today, what would his punishment be?  Off the team, 1-3 games, sit on the end of the bench for a semester and then transfer, or like Syracuse, nothing?

GoldenZebra

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2012, 10:28:15 AM »
MCW may be good at basketball, not necessarily good at life.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 11:26:56 AM »
Coach Boehim(sic) was emphasizing steals all summer. This unfortunate young man just misunderstood. 

Boooooooooooo.   
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 01:01:36 PM »

AND WITH FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS AVAILABLE ON YOUR CREDIT CARD!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe he'll be dumb enough to try and reverse the charge.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

honkytonk

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 01:18:32 PM »
I guess this means that SU certainly doesnt pay its players!   :D

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 06:29:24 PM »
Boeheim sure knows how to pick them.  As much as I will miss the Big East could there be a lower class of characters than the Cuse basketball program?

Melo, Carter-Williams, Fein, Devendorf....

ACC better start finding some good PR people.

Not a Boeheim fan as a coach, but I would say, yes, there are lower classes of characters than the SU basketball program.  No idea what 'Melo did to earn a place on the list of the lowest class of characters ever for you.  He was there for one year and won a national championship.  Wherever he has been he seems to just love to play basketball.  Don't know what else you'd want from a player.

LloydMooresLegs

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 06:50:22 PM »
Maybe he meant Fab Melo...

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 07:02:18 PM »
I guess this means that SU certainly doesnt pay its players!   :D

The article forgot to mention it was a University Credit card.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2012, 07:10:10 PM »
Maybe he meant Fab Melo...

Yes Fab Melo. 

karavotsos

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2012, 10:12:29 PM »
I guess that's how underwhelming Fab Melo was on any level.  Came in overweight, made some strides in a year and a half and ended his career with academic eligibility issues.  Big whoop.  Not exactly Charles Shackleford.  I'd like to keep SU in our conference in an ideal world.  Though the team I will miss most is Louisville.  I don't know what their ethical record is comparative to all others, but it is fun to watch MU play against them in basketball and has been as far back as I can remember.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 10:14:53 PM »
He'll pick up some shopping tips from the Dukies in the ACC.

honkytonk

• Team Captain
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2012, 10:39:47 PM »
He started tonight (1 assist in the first half and 13 in the second half). He also stole more tonight than he did a few days ago: 3 possessions vs. 2 at the store.

Boeheim answering reporters at the post-game presser....http://videos.syracuse.com/post-standard/2012/12/jim_boeheim_on_michael_carter-.html

I always appreciate coaches that DONT say "no comment." That's too boring.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2012, 10:51:56 PM by honkytonk »

feedback