[May 16, 2024, 04:15:33 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Mr. Nielsen
[May 16, 2024, 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[May 16, 2024, 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[May 16, 2024, 10:37:13 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Could Roseboro Go Prep?  (Read 3295 times)

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
Could Roseboro Go Prep?
« on: April 27, 2009, 03:26:05 PM »
This could possibly explain where the next scholarship comes from..

http://bebballmarquette.blogspot.com/2009/04/big-east-recruiting-update-marquette_27.html

This past weekend, Roseboro played in the Providence Jam Fest, so a year of prep basketball migh tnot be out of the question, but he maintained at the event he is committed to Marquette.
The General has taken on a new command.

LastWarrior

• All American
  • Let's Go Warriors!!
Re: Could Roseboro Go Prep?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 03:45:42 PM »
Interesting... can anyone expand on why playing in the Providence Jam Fest implies that he'll go the prep school route?

Great find!
"The Lord is a Warrior" - Exodus 15:3

YoungMUFan4

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 03:50:25 PM »
Interesting... can anyone expand on why playing in the Providence Jam Fest implies that he'll go the prep school route?

Great find!

Usually seniors who are signed do not play in AAU events although they can since some tournaments have an "open division" for teams who have unsigned seniors or players that are going to prep school.  Brett, however, was in a unique situation.  The league he played in is not very good, to be honest and neither was his team.  He saw double and triple teams all year and yet did not face the best competition.  There is a reason he played in the Nike IS8 league this past fall....to play against better competition.  You can't draw any definite conclusions from it though

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 04:15:38 PM »
Interesting. Perhaps there was some sort of understanding in place that they planned to redshirt him anyway, so if they could get a guy for next year and he agreed to go prep, the scholarship would be waiting for him in 2010?

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 05:29:36 PM »
I've never heard of anything like this. Is it legal if he has signed an LOI? If it is legal, I'm surprised that nobody has thought of it before. If this is the first, then brilliant move.

Tom Crean's Tanning Bed

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 05:34:23 PM »
I've never heard of anything like this. Is it legal if he has signed an LOI? If it is legal, I'm surprised that nobody has thought of it before. If this is the first, then brilliant move.

Joe Fulce anyone?
The General has taken on a new command.

radome

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 05:40:31 PM »
I don't follow.  Did Fulce sign with NO and then go to prep?  Just looked at Wiki and it doesn't seem like it.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 05:51:23 PM »
I believe he signed with Texas A&M and then went prep. He signed with NO and then went JC Roseboro could go to a prep school, but his LOI would not be good anymore. He could resign in the fall for the next class.

DanceHallPlayer

• Walk-On
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 06:47:15 PM »
Roseboro seems to be playing against plenty of other players who have signed LOI's. In early April he played in a tournament against Aaric Murray, a former Marquette target, who signed with LaSalle. Then after that, he played against Princeton-bound Will Barrett.
file:///C:/Users/dhoughton/AppData/Local/Microsoft/Windows/Temporary%20Internet%20Files/Content.IE5/P45VEX3L/White%20Guy%20Cant%20Jump.gif

Marquette84

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 08:17:29 PM »

If you're MU and you think Roseboro is going to be good, I don't know why you'd trust a deal to re-sign a player next year if he goes to prep school for a year.  If Roseboro blows up, he may just rethink his commitment if UNC or Duke or Kentucky come calling.   Why take that chance?

On the other hand, if Roseboro thought that he might not get the same offer from MU next year, HE would be reluctant to back out of the deal.  Granted, all scholarships are renewable--at least right now he has the chance to play at a Big East school.  If his prep year dosn't go so well, he might lose that opportunity.

One thought that I haven't seen brought up is similar to the Marcus West approach--come to MU on a non-basketball scholarship--say soccer or track.  You would have to sit out a year from basketball, and you would lose a year of eligibility. 

But if the team is oversubscribed on scholarships with a player that needs a year of maturing, what is the difference?

The player either loses a year of eligibility playing another sport versus playing a season of basketball where you get 3 mpg in 18 games (averaging 0.9 points and 1.4 rpg).  Either way, the player becomes a soph with little to show from the freshman season and 3 years of basketball eligibility left. 

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 08:36:55 PM »
Good thought, but I believe NCAA rules for basketball and football state you cannot walk on to either sport on an athletic scholarship from a smaller sport.

We ran into this with the soccer kid last year. I believe this was created to stop football teams from loading extra players on the track teams...

feedback