collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Steve Alford new UCLA coach.  (Read 24418 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Steve Alford new UCLA coach.
« Reply #125 on: July 15, 2013, 07:44:48 PM »
Yep. It happens. For another UCLA example, go look at the reporting on Ben Howland's buyout.

Everyone else had it wrong - Late Night Hoops had it nailed.

Here's another one everyone else had wrong recently - the start of basketball practice. LNH had it correct.

If you don't think "mainstream media" and people in general aren't flat out wrong with regularity, you're naive. It happens incredibly often. Feel free to continue believing a big "SI" or "Yahoo", "USA Today" or "ESPN" next to a story means the information in a story is correct or well understood by the writer, but you'll be wrong.

You're good at searching old articles and posts - go ahead and check. The issue is that often journalists don't do much more than report information obtained from others. They don't understand contracts, finance, law, etc.

And you're wrong on Parrish - he was saying that there is no reason for UCLA to desire a large buyout payment from Alford if he wanted to leave, because he would never want to leave. That is #2.

Imagine if Alford had a couple of great seasons at UCLA, has a stellar class come in.. and decides he wants to leave elsewhere for more money and a different opportunity. And, UCLA doesn't have the large buyout protection.. instead, they have something more typical.. maybe they get $1MM from Alford in return for him terminating early. The school would be crucified. But... I'm not sure there's anything short of winning national championships they won't be criticized for... which is all the more reason to believe UCLA isn't the dreamy perfect spot that no one would ever leave, as you believe.

We agree to disagree.  LateNightHoops, whomever they are, are free to opine like anyone.  Those of us in the business think UCLA made a silly move...Alford is loving it...guarantee for him....silly for UCLA on all levels.  Alford isn't going anywhere and you've tied the university's hands.  Plus, you've let everyone know what you think of your ability to keep a coach at UCLA...which is now they have stepping stone mentality like Alford is on his way out in the next 5 years.  Not happening.  IU doesn't want him and hasn't wanted him in years....for those behind the scenes the reasons are obvious.   People are not beating down his door which is why it was so surprising of the hire in the first place.  As I said, I think he'll do fine...UCLA could have done worse (and better), but the idea that Alford is going to leave in 5 years for a BETTER job isn't going to happen. 

To each their own. 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #126 on: August 09, 2013, 01:12:11 PM »
Chicos,

What do you think a wise buyout for Tom Crean is? School owes him X.. he owes school X.

Asking what your opinion is,.. i.e., "doesn't need to be more than a mil or so if he leaves because he wouldn't"... "school needs to offer him a huge buyout if they fire him because he commands it. so $197 million"..

Whatever your thoughts are...
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #127 on: August 09, 2013, 01:14:21 PM »
Chicos,

What do you think a wise buyout for Tom Crean is? School owes him X.. he owes school X.

Asking what your opinion is,.. i.e., "doesn't need to be more than a mil or so if he leaves because he wouldn't"... "school needs to offer him a huge buyout if they fire him because he commands it. so $197 million"..

Whatever your thoughts are...

If he agrees to leave peacefully, Crean gets $2 million, if they have to fire him he owes the university $2 million...seems fair to me.