collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Story on MU Evans Scholar  (Read 5614 times)

tower912

• All American
Story on MU Evans Scholar
« on: September 09, 2012, 03:07:50 PM »
NBC/Golfchannel just had  (3 PM Eastern) a story on an MU Evans Scholar from Nigeria.     When they put the link up on their site, I will post it.    Lots of good video of the MU campus.    They actually made it look good.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

nyg

• All American
Re: Story on MU Evans Scholar
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 03:51:49 PM »
It actually showed an "Evans Scholarship Housing", I believe on campus.  Does MU have such a living arrangement on campus.  Looked very nice. 

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 03:56:54 PM »
It actually showed an "Evans Scholarship Housing", I believe on campus.  Does MU have such a living arrangement on campus.  Looked very nice. 

Isn't the Evans House just north of Schroeder on Wells St.?
But I like to throw handfuls...

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 04:05:44 PM »
It was, back in the day. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 04:10:00 PM »
Yep. 13th & Wells.  Brand new addition that was built this summer.

MarsupialMadness

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 02:27:11 PM »
Yep. 13th & Wells.  Brand new addition that was built this summer.

And it was very nice to begin with... strict rules though (regarding drinking and what not).  I accompanied some girl to and Evan's Scolar formal back in the day.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 02:41:53 PM »
Did you play the back 9 or score a hole in 1? Hopefully your putter didn't get the yips.
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Coach Norman Dale

• Starter
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2012, 02:10:56 PM »
Here is some info on the young lady profiled in the BMW Championships story --

http://www.stevensonschool.org/news/news_article/index.aspx?pageaction=ViewSinglePublic&LinkID=2699&ModuleID=318

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 04:08:03 PM »
And it was very nice to begin with... strict rules though (regarding drinking and what not).  I accompanied some girl to and Evan's Scolar formal back in the day.

When did you go there that there was strict rules for drinking?

only a warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2012, 12:57:47 PM »
Is the house where OD's used to be back in the 80s??

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 07:46:31 PM »
And it was very nice to begin with... strict rules though (regarding drinking and what not).  I accompanied some girl to and Evan's Scholar formal back in the day.

I'm an Evans Scholar Alum from the 70's. Back then we had two houses one at 2923 Highland and one at 2920 State.  Like other fraternities we were allowed to have beer on tap at parties.  It was all guys back then.  Back then there no girl caddies.  The main qualifications to be an Evans Scholar were to have caddied for at least two years, be in the upper quarter of your high school graduating class and like most scholarships show financial need to go to college.  Having recently sat in on selection meetings, the competition has grown tougher than just the upper quarter of your high school class.  Evans Scholars are required to live in the house on campus, even as freshmen. All Evans Scholars are expected to maintain a certain grade point average.  All the big 10 schools have Evans houses except Nebraska.  It is one of the largest scholarship foundations in the country supported by the Western Golf Association, country club members, alumni, and many corporate and private foundation donors.

I don't believe the Evans Scholars are under any more social or alcohol restrictions than any other fraternity.  Marquette bans alcohol at any fraternity.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 10:07:14 AM »
The house is dry and has been for about a dozen years

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 10:32:03 AM »
What! No alcohol enemas?

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 12:56:37 PM »
I'm an Evans Scholar Alum from the 70's. Back then we had two houses one at 2923 Highland and one at 2920 State.  Like other fraternities we were allowed to have beer on tap at parties.  It was all guys back then.  Back then there no girl caddies.  The main qualifications to be an Evans Scholar were to have caddied for at least two years, be in the upper quarter of your high school graduating class and like most scholarships show financial need to go to college.  Having recently sat in on selection meetings, the competition has grown tougher than just the upper quarter of your high school class.  Evans Scholars are required to live in the house on campus, even as freshmen. All Evans Scholars are expected to maintain a certain grade point average.  All the big 10 schools have Evans houses except Nebraska.  It is one of the largest scholarship foundations in the country supported by the Western Golf Association, country club members, alumni, and many corporate and private foundation donors.

I don't believe the Evans Scholars are under any more social or alcohol restrictions than any other fraternity.  Marquette bans alcohol at any fraternity.

I don't believe Marquette has ever banned alcohol at fraternities, unless that's fairly new.  Heck, if you were over 21 I'm pretty sure you could walk beer into the dorms. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 01:06:19 PM »
I don't believe Marquette has ever banned alcohol at fraternities, unless that's fairly new.  Heck, if you were over 21 I'm pretty sure you could walk beer into the dorms. 

You must be old.  When I was a freshman (2000) it was banned for sure.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2012, 01:47:59 PM »
You must be old.  When I was a freshman (2000) it was banned for sure.

Nope, freshman in 2003.  Fraternities regularly held parties sanctioned by IFC so there's no way alcohol was banned.  I do remember hearing that Evans was a dry house though.  I believe the rumor was that someone threw an empty keg out of the second story and it hit and killed someone.  No idea how true that is.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2012, 01:55:58 PM »

I was a soph in '99-'00 and had a friend who turned 21 during the year. Sure enough, he was allowed to bring beer into Schroeder. Although, I did always find it odd that the one 21-year-old who lived in the building was able to bring in 2-3 cases of beer at a time without issue. You'd think they'd recognize that he was either supplying beer to his underage friends or a raging alcoholic.

Marqevans

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2012, 05:51:18 PM »
Nope, freshman in 2003.  Fraternities regularly held parties sanctioned by IFC so there's no way alcohol was banned.  I do remember hearing that Evans was a dry house though.  I believe the rumor was that someone threw an empty keg out of the second story and it hit and killed someone.  No idea how true that is.

No, actually I believe there was an alcohol related death at the Northern Illinois Scholar house years ago. That precipitated the ban.  There have been no such cases at Marquette.  I did hear awhile ago the Marquette Sigma Phi Delta House had lost their charter for alcohol violations.  I just assumed the university was behind the sanctions.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 06:16:55 PM by Marqevans »

Strokin 3s

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 02:08:57 PM »
The house is dry and has been for about a dozen years

If by dry you mean the doors needed to be closed but the music could be as loud as you wanted.  Although I do remember the person falling off a roof of an evans house somewhere and the rules definitely became much more tough.