collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Steinbrenner has passed away  (Read 3746 times)

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
Steinbrenner has passed away
« on: July 13, 2010, 08:57:14 AM »
Guess he had a sudden heart attack and died this am.

(per the ap)
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Steinbrenner has passed away
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 10:03:04 AM »
Holy crap...didn't see that one coming.

I must say, with all due respect, I find it very hard to see the logic behind some of the moves Steinbrenner made with that fine organization. In the past twenty years, he has caused myself, and the city of New York, a good deal of distress as we have watched him take our beloved Yankees and reduced them to a laughing stock, all for the glorification of his massive ego.

RIP, Big George  :'(
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 10:14:37 AM »

I must say, with all due respect, I find it very hard to see the logic behind some of the moves Steinbrenner made with that fine organization. In the past twenty years, he has caused myself, and the city of New York, a good deal of distress as we have watched him take our beloved Yankees and reduced them to a laughing stock, all for the glorification of his massive ego.

RIP, Big George  :'(

Did you have to look that up to get it word-for-word or is it committed to memory?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2010, 10:20:02 AM »

I wish I had a team I loved with an owner that would glorifiy his massive ego en route to winning 7 World Series.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2010, 11:22:19 AM »
Did you have to look that up to get it word-for-word or is it committed to memory?

Had to look it up...my girlfriend is far more of a junkie than I am  :-[

I wish I had a team I loved with an owner that would glorifiy his massive ego en route to winning 7 World Series.

It's a Seinfeld quote  ;) I think regardless what any non-Yankee fans think of how Steinbrenner built his teams, they would all be jealous of the fantastic results his spending resulted in.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2010, 11:29:45 AM »
Those Steinbrenner Seinfeld scenes were priceless.

"So... it's just empty calories and male curiosity, eh, Georgie?"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2010, 11:30:27 AM »
Had to look it up...my girlfriend is far more of a junkie than I am  :-[

It's a Seinfeld quote  ;) I think regardless what any non-Yankee fans think of how Steinbrenner built his teams, they would all be jealous of the fantastic results his spending resulted in.

DOH...you are correct....I am ashamed.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2010, 11:35:30 AM »

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 05:29:56 PM »
Steinbrenner has found another successful way to make money.  He (and his family) eludes the estate tax (upwards of 45% of one's estate if the proper planning isn't done) by passing away in 2010 before it's reinstatement into tax code in 2011.  

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 01:19:56 PM »
Steinbrenner has found another successful way to make money.  He (and his family) eludes the estate tax (upwards of 45% of one's estate if the proper planning isn't done) by passing away in 2010 before it's reinstatement into tax code in 2011.  

Excellent

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 02:36:09 PM »

There is a strong belief when it goes into effect it will be retroactive to January 1, 2010.  The Steinbrenner's would not escape and may possibly have to sell the team.

The Wrigley family sold the Cubs to the Tribune for this reason.  Both parents died within 6 months of each other I believe and the son had to sell the team in order to pay both estate taxes.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2010, 02:51:29 PM »
There is a strong belief when it goes into effect it will be retroactive to January 1, 2010.  The Steinbrenner's would not escape and may possibly have to sell the team.

The Wrigley family sold the Cubs to the Tribune for this reason.  Both parents died within 6 months of each other I believe and the son had to sell the team in order to pay both estate taxes.

doesn't matter as long as his old lady is still alive.  She gets the unlimited marriage exemption.  Now when she kicks the bucket....I hope they did some hard core planning....

TomW1365

• Team Captain
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2010, 03:18:48 PM »
doesn't matter as long as his old lady is still alive.  She gets the unlimited marriage exemption.  Now when she kicks the bucket....I hope they did some hard core planning....

Believe it or not, as long as the proper trusts have been established and assets are owned (and funded) in these trusts, you can fund vehicles that may cost 1-3% of your estate to pay for tax free insurance policies that cover the estate taxes that can take 20-50% of the families assets.  Hopefully he's a Northwestern Mutual client.  Excuse the plug...  ;D

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 11:14:55 AM »
Believe it or not, as long as the proper trusts have been established and assets are owned (and funded) in these trusts, you can fund vehicles that may cost 1-3% of your estate to pay for tax free insurance policies that cover the estate taxes that can take 20-50% of the families assets.  Hopefully he's a Northwestern Mutual client.  Excuse the plug...  ;D

or Mass Mutual or New York Life.....

feedback