'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Good, not great  (Read 8731 times)

MU Avenue

• Team Captain
Good, not great
« on: May 04, 2019, 04:13:39 PM »
Having watched the Hausers play at Marquette, I saw Sam as a solid collegiate player who had moments when he shined, and Joey as an also-solid player who made many unfortunate decisions or mistakes, often resulting in turnovers.

Wherever they land as student-athletes, the Hausers will continue to be solid collegiate players who have moments when they shine. Like at Marquette, however, those moments will be impossible to predict and will not be what takes their next team to significantly greater glory.

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Good, not great
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2019, 04:15:57 PM »
In the right system they could be very strong pieces. I think Sam has peaked. Joey likely has a tremendous upside if he stopped putting butter on his hands before games.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2019, 04:23:32 PM »
They are both solid players - Sam an established solid player finishing 3 years of collegiate experience.   Joey will be a great player if he finds the right coach and is coachable.   

I was thrilled they were both playing for Marquette, and am disappointed they are not continuously nag to play at MU.   

That said, since they left,  i do not care where they go or how they do.  I follow and root for Marquette basketball and they guys and coaches who make up the team.   Keeps things simple.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2019, 12:36:03 AM by Daniel »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2019, 04:29:00 PM »
I was just thinking this board needed another Hauser thread.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2019, 06:15:06 PM »
Ho-lay crap. The 121st thread on this.

And I haven’t read the last 49 of them. Y’all need to grow up. They left. It’s over. Next man up. Be adults. Or be an 11year old & be upset for years. This site had become unreadable. Congrats.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2019, 06:16:31 PM »
I mean, if it helps you guys to convince yourselves that the Hausers weren't great players go ahead. Personally, I think Sam was a top 50-100 player in the country this past season and was going to be another year stronger and better. I think Joey showed a ton of potential as a freshman and if he took the normal freshman to sophomore year jump he was going to be a monster for us.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

D'Lo Brown

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2019, 06:18:35 PM »
What are everyone's thoughts on Wojo?

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2019, 09:04:22 PM »
I mean, if it helps you guys to convince yourselves that the Hausers weren't great players go ahead. Personally, I think Sam was a top 50-100 player in the country this past season and was going to be another year stronger and better. I think Joey showed a ton of potential as a freshman and if he took the normal freshman to sophomore year jump he was going to be a monster for us.

According to John Pudner (auburn marquette, our stats guru), Sam was the 28th best player in college basketball last year so if anything you're underestimating him.

Agree on Joey - up and down freshman year, tons of potential.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2019, 09:10:29 PM »
This is why Wojo sat in Green Bay and held Joey's hand during ankle surgery. He had a couple gems. How time changes things, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2019, 10:42:10 PM »

I agree with him being a top 50-100 player but I don't see his handle improving to being any better. Maybe stronger at posting up? But he was never going to be able to get his own shot imo. Who knows maybe a year off will change that.
Maigh Eo for Sam

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2019, 05:27:14 AM »
They were very good players.  They definitely made the team better.  The remaining team including coaches will need to pick up their games in all areas to fill those shoes.  But the game must go on.  GO MU!  Bye Hausers.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2019, 05:42:00 AM »
My opinion of the Hausers as players has not changed.  Good shooters, decent ball handlers for their size.  A little slow, which kept them from beating people off the dribble and hurt them on the defensive end. 
    My opinion of them as people hasn't changed.  Sam is loyal to his brother.  I thought Joey was immature on the court at times, but chalked it up to being a fresjman and assumed he would grow out of it.  I perceive that a bit differently now after recent events.
    I wish them no ill will, unless they are playing against Marquette. 
     But they gowne.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2019, 06:00:27 AM »
Where’s all the Hauser friends at? Awfully quiet from that contingent since this narrative spread.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2019, 07:58:21 AM »
The Hausers were very good players.  The only way we don't miss them next year is if some of the unproven talent on the bench steps up next year.  As for the "new narrative," I'm as skeptical about that being fully true as I was the "old narrative." 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2019, 09:24:47 AM »
I have no clue how anyone can claim that the Hausers aren't great players.  Unless they are jilted ex-lovers.  But that couldn't be it.... could it?  Could it?

Yeah, that's it.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2019, 10:05:21 AM »
Sam? yes.
Joey? We’ll see.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2019, 10:30:08 AM »
I have no clue how anyone can claim that the Hausers aren't great players.  Unless they are jilted ex-lovers.  But that couldn't be it.... could it?  Could it?

Yeah, that's it.

I absolutely agree that many fans are feeling jilted and are now lowering the Hausers' value to make their departure hurt a little less. Many of us Scoopers make fun of F%cky fans for doing just that over and over. ("Bo cooled on him" ... "He didn't have the grades anyway" ... etc)

However, I'm not sure what you saw from Joey this season that leads you to believe he is "great."

Unless you define "great" a lot differently than I do, players who average 10 ppg, 5 rpg and shoot 45% while totally disappearing for weeks at a time, including down the stretch when we desperately needed a great player to step up ... that's "great"?

Potential to be great college player offensively? Sure. Currently great? Not even close. Great on defense? Probably never.

Sam is good at so many things that he has become a great college player -- or at least a heck of a lot closer to great than Joey currently is.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2019, 02:25:13 PM »
Fair enough, but Joey was only a Freshman.

WarriorDad

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2019, 03:11:07 PM »

Yeah, that's it.

Sam is great.  Joey, not yet.  Markus is a better college player than both.  2nd team All American, BEPOY. 
“No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth.”
— Plato

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2019, 03:14:28 PM »
Where’s all the Hauser friends at? Awfully quiet from that contingent since this narrative spread.
Glad to speak up...not their "friend" but sure as hell wish they were still on the team.  The 247 post is interesting.  If true...I wouldn't care to hear Markus tell me how to play basketball when he is jacking up step back nba 3's while I am wide open and shooting 40% from 3.  Joey's turnovers and Markus' bad shots are both issues.  I sure as hell hope Markus was standing infront of the team taking the blame for a few losses this year if he wants to have any credibility to push others.  I'll tell you this...if my son was as good as Joey or Sam...I would not suggest they go play with Markus.  If Markus isnt on the team...I'm likely good with Wojo's offense.  Simply...I'd want my kid to play with a PG. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2019, 03:24:59 PM »
Glad to speak up...not their "friend" but sure as hell wish they were still on the team.  The 247 post is interesting.  If true...I wouldn't care to hear Markus tell me how to play basketball when he is jacking up step back nba 3's while I am wide open and shooting 40% from 3.  Joey's turnovers and Markus' bad shots are both issues.  I sure as hell hope Markus was standing infront of the team taking the blame for a few losses this year if he wants to have any credibility to push others.  I'll tell you this...if my son was as good as Joey or Sam...I would not suggest they go play with Markus.  If Markus isnt on the team...I'm likely good with Wojo's offense.  Simply...I'd want my kid to play with a PG.

That's certainly an OK take to have, and I might be feeling the exact same if my son were as good as Joey.

But then don't pretend that the Hausers had 0% to do with what happened.

Not saying that's you, avid, but it's some.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2019, 04:21:04 PM »
There were at least two games that Markus said the loss was on him and he needed to be better.
Goal is National Championship

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2019, 05:34:15 PM »
That's certainly an OK take to have, and I might be feeling the exact same if my son were as good as Joey.

But then don't pretend that the Hausers had 0% to do with what happened.

Not saying that's you, avid, but it's some.
I just think it's hard to rip into a teamate when you miss him on wide open looks rather consitenly.  I'm not a huge stats guy...and I know Bama has defended Markus...but there isn't a stat in the world that would say Markus taking a step back 3 with two guys on him is better than a 40+% 3 pointer shooter with a wide open look.  It's such a simple and basic thing that one has to question motive.  I certainly wouldn't be interested in taking heat from him...and I would really question any coach who suggested anything other than telling Markus to involve his teamates with the pass.  Its the best thing for Markus, Joey and the team.  Stats tell me we are better with Sam and Joey.  I guess I'm saying I don't believe they were irrational...but I also am not part of the team...

🏀

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2019, 05:45:01 PM »

I’m cool with a rational argument like you posted, I was referring to the particular individuals who were actually friends and calling those out who didn’t care for the transfer.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2019, 06:04:08 PM »
There were at least two games that Markus said the loss was on him and he needed to be better.

I think Sam, Joey (and others?) would have preferred "different" to "better". Better can just be "I've got to make more of those shots when I go one on five".