'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU will be easy to coach the next few days  (Read 19937 times)

GB Warrior

• All American
Re: MU will be easy to coach the next few days
« Reply #50 on: November 15, 2018, 06:17:51 AM »
This was a 40 minute advertisement for a primary ball handler next year

nyg

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2018, 06:22:41 AM »
A better game from Morrow wouldn't have gotten MU a win tonight, but something is wrong there right now. He's not a grad transfer, he was with MU all last year. Box score doesn't have it yet, but he couldn't have played more than 10 mins tonight. Being down 15 in the blink of an eye didn't dictate inside touches for MU, but through 3 games, something is off here with him.

Just checked boxscore and Morrow played 4 minutes.  Heck, even Heldt played 8 minutes and had 3 fouls.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2018, 06:30:45 AM »
We flat out got our butt kicked. Have to work on fundamentals and more team work . Individualism is not the answer at this level.

Agree.  Indiana played together on both ends of the floor.  We played like a bunch of guys who met five minutes before tip-off.  Ball movement, ball movement, ball movement.  That is how you get you shooters free.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2018, 07:13:06 AM »
I just wish people would have perspective.  A blow out loss in November is nothing to panic about, yet we have people here who are jumping already.  Let history teach you guys some lessons.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2018, 07:16:05 AM »
I just wish people would have perspective.  A blow out loss in November is nothing to panic about, yet we have people here who are jumping already.  Let history teach you guys some lessons.

But you do have to admit Sultan that we've seen this movie before.  Last night reminded me so much of Iowa.  Of course one loss isn't the end.  But this could break either way pretty quickly.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2018, 07:19:33 AM »
But you do have to admit Sultan that we've seen this movie before.  Last night reminded me so much of Iowa.  Of course one loss isn't the end.  But this could break either way pretty quickly.

Sure.  We also lost by 30+ at Florida the same year we went to the Elite 8.

I'm not saying we are doing that, but teams grown and develop throughout the year.  People need to stop writing off the season because of this.

Charlotte Warrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2018, 07:25:41 AM »

History tells me that opponents always seem to have their best shooting night of the year against us.   History tells me our defense under Wojo does not get better as the year goes on.  History tells me that poor defensive teams are not in the top 25, 35, 45 at the end of the year.   Last year we were ranking in the 300's - Wojo's history and last night tell me not to bet on defense improving in 18-2019.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2018, 07:32:37 AM »

I'm not saying we are doing that, but teams grown and develop throughout the year.  People need to stop writing off the season because of this.

Totally agreed.

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2018, 07:35:20 AM »
Who is this Marcus that everyone keeps mentioning?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2018, 07:46:27 AM »
The sun came up.  It is one game in November.  The only question now is how the team reacts.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2018, 07:54:41 AM »

We have seen this movie before. And November blow outs usually end up being one of the two or three worst performances of the season.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2018, 07:56:52 AM »
I was showing this to my son this morning .. but it seems appropriate for this thread.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/SJUhlRoBL8M" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/SJUhlRoBL8M</a>

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2018, 08:08:12 AM »

This is how I feel. After Iowa, we went 2-0 in NYC and beat Bucky. Do that and we'll be fine & Scoop will be happy days again. But if this is another middle of the road bubble season, I'll be wondering how long we let the experiment continue.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2018, 08:27:02 AM »

Historically exceeding expectations gets you the benefit of the doubt. Wojo’s track record only gets him the doubt. That’s just the way it is
No Finish Line

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2018, 08:34:48 AM »
Historically exceeding expectations gets you the benefit of the doubt. Wojo’s track record only gets him the doubt. That’s just the way it is

Historically, people also over-react to November results too.  Back before he exceeded expectations, in his first year, Buzz lost a Dayton team, in a game that still gets referenced to this day.  Wojo hasn't done a lot to impress over his first 4 seasons, so I can understand why the doubt is there, but as others have said, one game in November does not dictate a season.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2018, 08:40:49 AM »

Curious as to what makes you think this will be any different from the previous four seasons? We've seen games like last night consistently since Wojo has been here, and very little has changed.

WolfganghisKhan

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2018, 08:42:38 AM »
Curious as to what makes you think this will be any different from the previous four seasons? We've seen games like last night consistently since Wojo has been here, and very little has changed.
Agreed. I don't think anyone was upset about losing last night, we are upset about the WAY we lost. I've read this chapter how many years in a row now?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2018, 09:11:45 AM »

This is true. Wojo has yet to exceed expectations in a season. He's only ever met them. That's fine as long as each season starts with high expectations like this one did. If Wojo can't continue to meet expectations as they raise then he will be gone.
TAMU

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2018, 09:12:37 AM »
We have seen this movie (under Wojo) before. And November blow outs usually end up being one of the two or three worst performances of the season (aside from losing to DePaul)...

Fixed.  Also, you forgot to finish how the movie ends:  We miss the NCAA tourney, and are a non-factor in March.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2018, 09:18:32 AM »
Fixed.  Also, you forgot to finish how the movie ends:  We miss the NCAA tourney, and are a non-factor in March.

Your fixes are incorrect. Some of Buzz' non-conference losses were the worst of the season. His teams always got better as the season went on. And yes, losing to DePaul has been one of the worst performances in a couple of seasons. That's why I said 2 or 3 worst performances.

Actually the ending of the movie is that Wojo meets the expectations that most had for the team by the end of the season. Expectations are higher this season, we'll see if Wojo can meet them.
TAMU

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #70 on: November 15, 2018, 09:27:32 AM »
Relax, Wojo needs time to get his players into the program. This is a rebuild.

Floorslapper

• All American
« Reply #71 on: November 15, 2018, 09:28:34 AM »
Your fixes are incorrect. Some of Buzz' non-conference losses were the worst of the season. His teams always got better as the season went on. And yes, losing to DePaul has been one of the worst performances in a couple of seasons. That's why I said 2 or 3 worst performances.

Actually the ending of the movie is that Wojo meets the expectations that most had for the team by the end of the season. Expectations are higher this season, we'll see if Wojo can meet them.

Who are you referring to as "most?"

Is MU Basketball now an organization that sets a low performance bar and mediocrity (at best) is tolerated, while spending through the roof to compete at the top echelon of CBB?

How does Archie get it done in Year 2 at IU and punk the F out of us in Year 5?

Buzz took the longstanding bottom shelf/whipping boy VaTech program and has it with more NCAA tourney berths than Wojo has achieved at MU.

I do admire your ability to be patient, and to have mediocre standards/expectations, and find every excuse under the sun to justify our coach's performance thus far - yet at some point enough is enough.

Seeing Wojo standing on the sidelines with his arms crossed, shellshocked, and once again having no answers, no counterpunches, and getting circles run around him by the opposing coach - seen that movie many times before.  Not to mention, no clear player rotation concepts, starting a freshman (Bailey), over an incumbent in the program (Cain), and CREATING the Hero Ball Markus, by repeatedly telling his he needs to shoot more, and has the ultimate green light.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #72 on: November 15, 2018, 09:33:58 AM »
TAMU

Wojo has zero chance of getting canned after this season, barring off court issues.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #73 on: November 15, 2018, 09:37:57 AM »
Historically, people also over-react to November results too.  Back before he exceeded expectations, in his first year, Buzz lost a Dayton team, in a game that still gets referenced to this day.  Wojo hasn't done a lot to impress over his first 4 seasons, so I can understand why the doubt is there, but as others have said, one game in November does not dictate a season.

I was at that game against Dayton (in some crappy arena in the western suburbs of Chicago). We looked a step slow, couldn't stop the Flyers on dribble penetration. I drove home with serious doubts about Buzz. But by the Georgetown game that January we looked like the best coached team I had seen at MU since the Al era and I was all in.

The difference between Buzz's November clunkers and Wojo's? Just my opinion, but Buzz ran brutal practices in October and November that often left the team with temporarily dead legs but paid dividends in February and March. In the Wojo era the team's improvement from November to March hasn't been nearly as dramatic. Hopefully that changes this year - we're counting on new players to play major roles (Joey, JC) and that takes time. But so far even with added muscle (Morrow, Theo with big minutes, Joey) we still look soft.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #74 on: November 15, 2018, 09:41:11 AM »

It might be different.  It might not be.  I'm just not going to freak out over a November loss.

feedback