[May 02, 2024, 08:51:36 PM]

NM by Skatastrophy
[May 02, 2024, 07:11:46 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by JWags85
[May 02, 2024, 06:37:52 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by MurphysTillClose
[May 02, 2024, 12:27:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Purdue's Painter to Missouri?  (Read 6951 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Purdue's Painter to Missouri?
« on: March 28, 2011, 08:18:23 PM »
http://kansascity.sbnation.com/missouri-tigers/2011/3/28/2077704/matt-painter-missouri-purdue

interesting that he would leave Purdue now. wonder if it's related to the success of Butler or possibly the in-state recruits Crean is getting

whodem

• Scholarship Player
Re: Purdue's Painter to Missouri?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 08:29:47 PM »
He hasn't accepted it yet, he's meeting with the Missouri AD tomorrow. They'll offer him Mike Anderson type money, and they'll pay his assistants more. I think there is a decent chance he'd leave.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 08:56:05 PM »
I wonder if Cuonzo would have gone to Tennessee so soon had he known that the Purdue job was potentially opening up.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 09:34:28 PM »
If Painter leaves, I wouldn't be surprised to see Shaka Smart linked to Purdue.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 09:45:44 PM »

I would.  They'll go so hard after Stevens first.  Crean is kicking Painter's ass in recruiting right now and Purdue knows it.  They want someone proven to come in and change that.  I still don't think Painter leaves but if he does, I think Stevens first.

Shaka 3 weeks ago wasn't on anyone's list.  Flavor of the day hires are tough when you throw them into the Big Leagues full time

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 11:16:48 PM »
http://kansascity.sbnation.com/missouri-tigers/2011/3/28/2077704/matt-painter-missouri-purdue

interesting that he would leave Purdue now. wonder if it's related to the success of Butler or possibly the in-state recruits Crean is getting

dont forget the increased notoriety the Notre Dame is getting. At Mizzou he would have no in-state rivalry to really worry about (sorry SLU).
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

whodem

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 11:27:29 PM »

If they don't get Stevens I'd guess they'd promote from within or try to get Cuonzo.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2011, 06:03:25 AM »
If they don't get Stevens I'd guess they'd promote from within or try to get Cuonzo.

Cuonzo went to Tennessee.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

DCWarriors04

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2011, 06:21:12 AM »
Painter isn't going to Missouri...if he was, Cuonzo Martin wouldn't have signed at Tennessee so quickly, especially since Martin and Painter have the same agent.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 06:23:38 AM by DCWarriors04 »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2011, 08:16:54 AM »
It took this long?  >:(

Buzz to Purdue.

or

Crean to Purdue.
Buzz to Indiana.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2011, 09:13:33 AM »
Just my personal opinion, but I thought the "Crean to _____" jokes were funny because people thought Crean was the one putting his name out there.  I don't find "Buzz to ____" as funny.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2011, 10:33:34 AM »
Can't imagine Painter going to Missouri. The state of Indiana is much more fertile for recruiting than Missouri is. And pay should be as good or better at Purdue. Missouri has been a good program over the years, but Purdue has also been pretty solid.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

Warriors10

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 12:19:34 PM »
Can't imagine Painter going to Missouri. The state of Indiana is much more fertile for recruiting than Missouri is. And pay should be as good or better at Purdue. Missouri has been a good program over the years, but Purdue has also been pretty solid.
Common knowledge according to ESPN/SI/Every sports writer is that Painter is underpaid at Purdue for all the success he has done and Missouri could give him a raise ~1/2 a million.  Stevens would be Purdue's obvious first choice, but getting him away from Butler would be hard and frankly impossble if they win the whole thing.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2011, 11:14:54 AM »
Not official yet, but it looks like Painter is off to the other MU.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/tiger-tracker/article_a136221c-5ae4-11e0-9743-0017a4a78c22.html

It looks like this will be a happy day for Mizzou fans.

Nothing is official yet and there haven't been any announcements, but a source tells the Post-Dispatch that Purdue coach Matt Painter just called Mizzou AD Mike Alden to say he's in as the school's next basketball coach.

Painter has been the school's primary target in the last week since Mike Anderson left to take over the Arkansas program.

A press conference could come as early as this afternoon in Columbia. Painter was believed to be flying from Orlando where he was vacationing to West Lafayette, Indiana, to meet with his players and then Columbia.

"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

Goose

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 11:25:13 AM »
Another example that makes me question why is Buzz getting soooo much money? Was MU afraid of losing him or is he the guy to make us BE champs.

muarmy81

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2011, 11:30:41 AM »
Wait.  He didn't even make it to the Sweet 16 and didn't win the Big 10 this year...why would he be such a hot target and why would anyone give him a raise?

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2011, 11:33:44 AM »
Isn't this a step backwards for Painter?

DCWarriors04

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2011, 11:33:59 AM »
Nothing coming out of Indiana and according to sources that have spoken with Gene Keady, he isn't aware of Painter having made any decision as of now.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2011, 11:55:50 AM »
Nothing coming out of Indiana and according to sources that have spoken with Gene Keady, he isn't aware of Painter having made any decision as of now.

Like I said... nothing official.

I dont think it would be a step backwards... at the least it is a lateral move. The only thing that would make me think you woudl say it is backwards is that he is an alum of Purdue and many say a coach leaving his alma mater is unheard of.

HoopsMalone

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2011, 11:56:24 AM »

I'd say lateral if anything.  Both are pretty good jobs.

I wonder what our Big 10(12) fans will think of being outbid by another conference if this happens?  I thought the Big 10 Network made all these schools mountains of cash.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2011, 11:58:47 AM »
It might be a slight step backwards, but a 7 year, $14 million contract makes up for a lot of that.  (He currently has a base salary of $1.3 million.)

Plus he would have a huge class coming in at Mizzou, and a pretty poor one at Purdue.  He missed out on Dawson, despite being right in his backyard, and IU is getting the better of him in-state.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2011, 12:02:17 PM »
It might be a slight step backwards, but a 7 year, $14 million contract makes up for a lot of that.  (He currently has a base salary of $1.3 million.)

Plus he would have a huge class coming in at Mizzou, and a pretty poor one at Purdue.  He missed out on Dawson, despite being right in his backyard, and IU is getting the better of him in-state.

Not pointing you out specifically Sultan, but for those who think it is a step backwards can you please explain your reasoning?

IMO it is a lateral move. Leaving the Big Ten for the Big Twelve- not much of a difference between the two. The basketball budgets are roughly the same; MU $5.3 and Purdue $5.1. Mizzou has better facilities than Purdue at the moment. Since 1980, both schools have similar tournament histories; Purdue 26-22 and MU 17-21. Mizzou's program is the main player in the state of Missouri and Painter has ties to local recruiting through his time at SIU- Carbondale.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 12:09:56 PM by jaybilaswho? »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2011, 12:20:39 PM »
Well, I am probably a little biased since I live in northern Indiana.

However, Missouri is simply in a bad location when it comes to recruiting.  Columbia is in the middle of nowhere.  The state doesn't produce a great deal of talent, and generally they have to import a lot out of Texas and other places.  Purdue is located in the heart of Chicago, Indiana and Ohio...lots of recruits in those areas and even if they get second dibs, are better than what is close to Missouri.

They are close and I can be convinced either way though.

DCWarriors04

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2011, 02:49:09 PM »
According to Katz, Painter turned down Mizzou.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2011, 02:51:20 PM »
According to Katz, Painter turned down Mizzou.

Score is also reporting such.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2011, 03:42:08 PM »

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2011, 05:14:51 PM »
Well, I am probably a little biased since I live in northern Indiana.

Does Brad Miller (Purdue/NBA)still maintain a home in Fort Wayne?

Although originally from Milwaukee, Randy Shields (Purdue) has done very very well by remaining in Indy, and playing off his Purdue contacts...I would think Brad could, also.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2011, 10:55:49 PM »
HoeWarrior---Thanks for the Randy Shield update.

feedback