[Today at 01:11:29 PM]

[Paint Touches] NBA Combine results for Ighodaro and Kolek by MUbiz
[Today at 10:45:03 AM]

Transfer Portal vs. Recruiting, retaining , developing by MU82
[Today at 10:37:13 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Holly Ellenson speaks...  (Read 76787 times)

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
Re: Holly Ellenson speaks...
« Reply #125 on: April 22, 2016, 11:28:08 AM »
Do you know for a fact that any track guys lost their schollies, meaning they had them, but not any more?

Also, if we could give our schollies to all 4 and 5 star players., would you be in favor of the split-out?  That is what I was really asking.

I am for 5 star walk-ons only

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #126 on: April 22, 2016, 11:28:32 AM »
Yep. Done.

It's not done, glow. Quite frankly, this woman is trouncing Marquette University in the court of public opinion. Her tweets are damning and casting our beloved alma mater in a very negative light.

It's time we fight back and fight back hard.

That rattling sound you hear is Mike Lovell being unchained so that he can fire back a salvo from his Twitter Howitzer.  Holly Ellenson needs to know that trying to shame Marquette University on social media has consequences. Grave consequences.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #127 on: April 22, 2016, 11:33:49 AM »
New Scoop meme:  Pee-free night.

I don't pee in the middle of the night. My problem is that once I wake up I have to wait an hour so that I can pee in the morning...

Death on call

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #128 on: April 22, 2016, 11:36:14 AM »
OK, lets bring realism back to this.

I read Ms. Ellenson's post. I didn't see anything especially aggravating about it. What smoke and mirror means is anyone's guess.

I hope they're not upset with Wojo and MU, but if they are, time heals. Henry was a great asset to us in the past year and I was happy he came to Marquette. Not many Rice Lake boys make it to D1 basketball and I don't think there's ever been an NBAer from Rice Lake. Go Northwoods!

Wally has a great situation in that he will be an Olympian. Despite my bad taste for the Rio Olympics (something to do with the way they were awarded to that cesspool of a city back when my Chicago was competing) and vow not to watch a minute of those Olympics, I'll watch for Wally!

For Wally to be a starter or get material minutes next year, he had a lot of work to do. All of us who saw him last year loved his hustle and commitment -- and the few times when he nailed three-pointers against Georgetown -- but we know he had work to do this summer. He can't put the work in and do the Olympic training and commitment. The skills are not complementary. So Wally ends up with a full scholarship, chance to be an American hero (and a possible gold medalist) and the respect of all us Warriors for what he's done. And, if he medals, he'll be the first Warrior to medal in track and field since Ralph Metcalf. Not a bad deal overall.

Unless there's a deep, dark secret we don't know about, Wojo handled this one reasonably well. I'm sure he would have run with Wally if  Wally worked on his game this summer.

Keep this in mind. There are more than 300 million Americans. How many of that group gets to compete in an Olympics, walk in with the U.S. Olympic team and be a part of the greatest spectacle in sport. Probably a lot fewer than play college basketball in a year.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 11:41:46 AM by dgies9156 »

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #129 on: April 22, 2016, 11:37:49 AM »
He is a legitimate contender for an NCAA scholarship.  He deserves a full ride, which is what I am sure many other schools would have offered him.

Perhaps we should split some of our basketball schollies in half so that instead of 13 4-5 star players, we can have 10 4-5 star players and 6 2-star players.

I'd take seven 4-5 star players and let them split 10 schollies.  They each get one to cover tuition and they split the other three as a cash payout!  Then fill the bench with partials.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #130 on: April 22, 2016, 11:41:18 AM »
OK, lets bring realism back to this.

I read Ms. Ellenson's post. I didn't see anything especially aggravating about it. She simply stated the facts and the chiming class below her tweet posted the ridicule.

Did she say more than just Smoke and Mirrors?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #131 on: April 22, 2016, 11:41:24 AM »

That would be false.  I know he had an offer from Texas Tech and I believe there was another P5 school after him but I can't recall who.

but then TX Tech cooled on Henry

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #132 on: April 22, 2016, 11:43:10 AM »
Did she say more than just Smoke and Mirrors?

I don't think so.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #133 on: April 22, 2016, 11:48:48 AM »
It's not done, glow. Quite frankly, this woman is trouncing Marquette University in the court of public opinion. Her tweets are damning and casting our beloved alma mater in a very negative light.

That rattling sound you hear is Mike Lovell being unchained so that he can fire back a salvo from his Twitter Howitzer.  Holly Ellenson needs to know that trying to shame Marquette University on social media has consequences. Grave consequences.

Keefe, give it a rest huh?  You're getting Ners-like in your drumbeat regarding Lovell even though this has zero to do with him.  You don't like or respect him, we get it.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #134 on: April 22, 2016, 11:52:59 AM »
Sounds like we stole from the poor (track team) to give to the rich (the Ellensons) for the benefit of the super rich (basketball program). Cura Personalis!

We would not have a track team if not for basketball revenue.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #135 on: April 22, 2016, 11:54:32 AM »

I disagree with you on the Lovell vs. McAdams issue, but this is f*ckin hilarious. Well done.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #136 on: April 22, 2016, 11:55:59 AM »
Keefe, give it a rest huh?  You're getting Ners-like in your drumbeat regarding Lovell even though this has zero to do with him.  You don't like or respect him, we get it.

I never said I didn't like him (I don't know him) or not respect him. I said that Tweeting about McAdams was ill-advised.

What I find curious is that if people applaud Lovell for using Twitter against McAdams why should he not do the same against Mrs Ellenson? Because, frankly, the same logic applies.

People can't have it both ways.

By the way, I had a couple classes with Fr Davitt while at Marquette.That man was bloody brilliant.

Death on call

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #137 on: April 22, 2016, 11:57:33 AM »
I disagree with you on the Lovell vs. McAdams issue, but this is f*ckin hilarious. Well done.

Precisely the spirit in which it was intended!

Death on call

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #138 on: April 22, 2016, 11:59:50 AM »
I never said I didn't like him (I don't know him) or not respect him. I said that Tweeting about McAdams was ill-advised.

What I find curious is that if people applaud Lovell for using Twitter against McAdams why should he not do the same against Mrs Ellenson? Because, frankly, the same logic applies.

By the way, I had a couple classes with Fr Davitt while at Marquette.That man was bloody brilliant.

Whatever.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #139 on: April 22, 2016, 12:14:55 PM »

Lovell should not tweet anything about anyone. There is very little upside in any situation to do that.
If Holly wants to blast away, let her. Who cares? Quite honestly, I think she looks foolish as an adult doing what she did.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #140 on: April 22, 2016, 12:29:06 PM »
He is a legitimate contender for an NCAA scholarship.  He deserves a full ride, which is what I am sure many other schools would have offered him.

Perhaps we should split some of our basketball schollies in half so that instead of 13 4-5 star players, we can have 10 4-5 star players and 6 2-star players.

Can't do it.  Basketball is a headcount sport -- only allowed to have a max of 13 players on scholarship.  You can give them less than a full scholarship if you want,* you can't have more than 13 players receiving scholarship money.

*I can't imagine any serious basketball program would ever consider this.  I've always assumed that everyone in D1 (other than the Ivies) gives the max number of full scholarships, but I honestly don't know.  Perhaps some of the lower level D1 schools give fewer than the max number of less than full scholarships.   
« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 12:33:52 PM by StillAWarrior »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #141 on: April 22, 2016, 12:32:32 PM »
Lovell should not tweet anything about anyone. There is very little upside in any situation to do that.
If Holly wants to blast away, let her. Who cares? Quite honestly, I think she looks foolish as an adult doing what she did.

She didn't really do much of anything. Whether the Ellenson family has a legit beef against Wojo/MU or they just have a difference in opinion of Wally's skills we don't know, but if she truly believes that her son was treated unfairly then she has every right to be upset. I would be. Every parent would be. And many would say a whole lot more than "smoke and mirrors."

deerchaser

• Starter
« Reply #142 on: April 22, 2016, 12:39:39 PM »
Do you know for a fact that any track guys lost their schollies, meaning they had them, but not any more?

This was my thought as well. I feel like I remember that most of our other sports were not fully funded to max out their scholarship allowances to begin with. Does anyone know if this is the case? I'm reaching back about 10 years on my memory with regards to this, but my first thought when I saw the track scholarship was that some booster just ponied up.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #143 on: April 22, 2016, 12:40:52 PM »
She didn't really do much of anything. Whether the Ellenson family has a legit beef against Wojo/MU or they just have a difference in opinion of Wally's skills we don't know, but if she truly believes that her son was treated unfairly then she has every right to be upset. I would be. Every parent would be. And many would say a whole lot more than "smoke and mirrors."

I agree.  I can imagine many parents being much more harsh than that of they feel their kid got a raw deal.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #144 on: April 22, 2016, 12:59:31 PM »
I agree.  I can imagine many parents being much more harsh than that of they feel their kid got a raw deal.

You mean, like, uh...suing the school district!!!

Death on call

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #145 on: April 22, 2016, 01:02:15 PM »

Also, if we could give our schollies to all 4 and 5 star players., would you be in favor of the split-out?  That is what I was really asking.

1.No - what I do know is that 1 week ago the track team had 12.5 scholarships to divide between their 49 athletes. One eighth of that allotment has been awarded to Wally (who was already on the team). So either people presently on the team lose or people who might otherwise come into the program lose.

2.1 would be against a roster where all 13 of or players were 4 or 5 stars - wouldn't be enough playing time to go around. Teams actually (effectively, anyway) do a "split out", although most of the 2* guys are walk ons and don't get to share scholarships with the 3* guys who are also riding the bench.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #146 on: April 22, 2016, 01:07:02 PM »
1.No - what I do know is that 1 week ago the track team had 12.5 scholarships to divide between their 49 athletes. One eighth of that allotment has been awarded to Wally (who was already on the team). So either people presently on the team lose or people who might otherwise come into the program lose.

2.1 would be against a roster where all 13 of or players were 4 or 5 stars - wouldn't be enough playing time to go around. Teams actually (effectively, anyway) do a "split out", although most of the 2* guys are walk ons and don't get to share scholarships with the 3* guys who are also riding the bench.

I'm not sure about the timing of awarding scholarships (but that might end up having to do with why this was announced when it was), but I'm assuming that some incoming freshmen who might have otherwise had partial track scholarships were not awarded scholarships. I doubt anything was "taken away" in the sense that it had already been communicated to them that they were going to get a partial scholarship, but rather they just ended up not getting one, at least for their freshman year. If they found out now, they still have time to make a different decision if they have offers from other D1 schools.  Alternatively, they might still have as many people on partial, just with smaller amounts.

I don't really have a problem with it, if that is the way it went down. It is not like Wally isn't a world-class track athlete who isn't deserving of the scholarship. That would be different.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2016, 01:13:57 PM by Coleman »

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #147 on: April 22, 2016, 01:08:20 PM »
You mean, like, uh...suing the school district!!!

Yep - that one surprised me.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #148 on: April 22, 2016, 01:10:27 PM »

plenty of differences????

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #149 on: April 22, 2016, 01:23:45 PM »

Unless Wally only uses it during the summer to get the last few credits he needs to graduate.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.