[May 20, 2024, 11:10:42 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by MU82
[May 20, 2024, 10:14:11 PM]

Big East response to NCAA antitrust settlement by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[May 20, 2024, 03:33:38 PM]

Bill Scholl Retiring by rocket surgeon
[May 20, 2024, 05:49:35 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Cubillan?  (Read 2903 times)

WarriorHal

• All American
Cubillan?
« on: December 19, 2008, 08:27:58 PM »
What's going on with David Cubillan? He seems to have disappeared.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
Re: Cubillan?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2008, 08:50:37 PM »
Cubillan?  Never heard of him.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2008, 09:11:34 PM »
Coobie has been memory holed.  There was no Cubillan. 

chapman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 09:37:15 PM »
Played in Frozena's time slot, and the poor walk-on got to stand on the court for 7 seconds.  Something has to be going on there.  If he's just not playing well, tonight was obviously the night to get him in.  If it's Buzz's "DNP-didn't practice well", again, the second half was a good opportunity to practice.

Schoolyard

• Starter
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2008, 10:34:05 PM »
Pay back's a b!tch for the embarassing worm dance.
My handle is Schoolyard but I do my best work at Finley Dunnes...Joe Kenny in '08

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2008, 11:30:35 PM »
He is either hurt or buried so far in the doghouse that he may never get out. I have to believe he's hurt.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2008, 11:58:17 PM »
From the gomarquette.com article posted in another thread:

In the off-season, the junior had surgery on both shoulders which stunted his hopes for improvement during the summer months.

"Coming back from the surgery was kind of hard. You have to be committed and responsible for doing rehab," Cubillan said. "Missing the whole summer was tough because I wasn't able to lift weights. Obviously my team was one step ahead of me because of all the summer workouts, but everything is going well and I'm playing."

Though the guard says that his shoulders no longer bother him, the comeback is still a daily process, especially in terms of his shot.

"My shot is the same but it's just that my shoulders aren't as strong as they were, so sometimes they get a little tired," he said of his continuous recovery. "But then again during the game, I don't play 40 minutes."

nola03

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2008, 10:41:25 AM »
He is either hurt or buried so far in the doghouse that he may never get out. I have to believe he's hurt.

I find it interesting that for two months Buzz has said he doesn't believe in positions and other then the PG and C he just wants "players" and then when asked about Cubillan not playing his entire answer was based on position numbers and the fact that Cubillan just doesn't fit in many lineups right now.

It's also interesting that for a guy who is brutally honest 90% of the time he fell back on coachspeak regarding Cubillan and said "everyone has to get better. That includes me."

It's one of two things: Cubillan is severely hampered by his injury recovery and all confidence has been shot or he simply isn't the type of player Buzz wants in his system and sees him as a liability.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2008, 11:04:44 AM »
I find it interesting that for two months Buzz has said he doesn't believe in positions and other then the PG and C he just wants "players" and then when asked about Cubillan not playing his entire answer was based on position numbers and the fact that Cubillan just doesn't fit in many lineups right now.

It's also interesting that for a guy who is brutally honest 90% of the time he fell back on coachspeak regarding Cubillan and said "everyone has to get better. That includes me."

Buzz's "brutal honesty" is a little more prepared than most seem to realize.  Of course he's not going to rip a kid apart who wasn't his recruit, works hard, deals with injuries, but just doesn't have the ability to play in his system.  So he dodges the question as to not degrade a player going through a rough transition.

His comments on Fulce and Otule and his benching of Hazel were obviously honest and motivational in nature, but those three all have a great deal of playing time to look forward too....doesn't look the same way for Cubillan.  I thought Buzz handled it well.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2008, 11:11:30 AM »
His shot is off, which limits his value. That also tells me his shoulders are bothering him. A coach cannot talk about injuries without a players premission. We heard nothing about Culliban's injuries last year from Crean so I am guessing Culliban does not give the the coaches permission to talk about it.

MUWarrior06

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2008, 11:18:21 AM »
I highly doubt he's in anyone's dog house, unless he decides to run down to 17th and wells for lunch.

Nor is his confidence shot.

You really think coach would have held him out of a game like yesterday if his confidence was shot? That was a meaningless game. Clearly Coobie's shoulders are bothering him and he's not healthy enough to play. Why risk re-injuring someone in a meaningless game if he's not fully healed? The Big East schedule is long and tough, so why not save him for those games.

I'm sure it's an injury thing

feedback