collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB stadiums and bullpen question  (Read 10742 times)

jaybilaswho?

• All American
MLB stadiums and bullpen question
« on: April 03, 2008, 04:11:52 PM »
Tell me why, in this day and age of fine lines and cookie cutter ball parks, why stadiums still have bullpens in foul territory on the first and third base lines? I dont get it. Its a safety issue for all players chasing down a fly ball in fould territory and the teams bull pen. Why would they not put them on the other side of the wall?

is there a reason/method to this madness or is it a spacing issue?
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

muwarrior87

• All American
Re: MLB stadiums and bullpen question
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 05:17:09 PM »
do any of the newer parks have this or just the old ones like Wrigley that have no room for them anywhere else?

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 02:00:33 PM »
petco park in san diego does. This is the only one that I am really aware of as of right now, because i was watching the game yesterday and that caused me to think about it. That park was finished in 2004. But actually they have only one bullpen on the field, the visitors. I cant find any other new stadium, since 2000, that has on the field bullpens. So i guess that this is a singular occurence more for instilling a disadvantage on the visitors bull pen.
"A team should be an extension of a coach's personality. My teams are arrogant and obnoxious." Al McGuire

PuertoRicanNightmare

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 02:37:23 PM »
They do it for a retro look. And it lets people down the lines get closer to the players.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2008, 08:10:49 PM »
There's actually a good reason why they are on the field in San Francisco.  When they designed AT&T Park or whatever they call it now they actually forgot to design the stadium with bullpens.  Construction was nearly complete when they caught this mistake so they just threw them on the field in foul territory.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008, 06:00:20 PM »
They do it for a retro look. And it lets people down the lines get closer to the players.

Chad Kreuter thinks that's a terrible idea.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2008, 09:12:59 AM »
There's actually a good reason why they are on the field in San Francisco.  When they designed AT&T Park or whatever they call it now they actually forgot to design the stadium with bullpens.  Construction was nearly complete when they caught this mistake so they just threw them on the field in foul territory.

are you serious??? they forgot the bullpens? i cant believe this. whoever dropped that ball is an idiot.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2008, 06:02:19 PM »

are you serious??? they forgot the bullpens? i cant believe this. whoever dropped that ball is an idiot.

TT34 is not entirely true. The plans called for the construction of the bullpens in  center field, underneath the scoreboard. However, they were overlooked during the construction phase, and it was too late to install the features to make the operable.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 09:56:54 PM »
Eh I knew it was something like that.

That's why you shouldn't believe everything you read on a message board!  ;D

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 10:06:21 AM »
wow... thats crazy. well i guess you cant believe everything you read on message boards AND you cant put too much faith in you ballpark engineers. Thats funny.

speaking of ball parks, did anyone hear about the construction worker working on the new yankee stadium who is a red sox fan?  the guy put a red sox/david ortiz jersey shirt behind a concrete wall in hopes of instilling a jinx. Yankees officials found out about it and it took them five hours to drill through the, i want to say, 2 foot concrete wall and remove the shirt.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 12:45:51 PM »
wow... thats crazy. well i guess you cant believe everything you read on message boards AND you cant put too much faith in you ballpark engineers. Thats funny.

speaking of ball parks, did anyone hear about the construction worker working on the new yankee stadium who is a red sox fan?  the guy put a red sox/david ortiz jersey shirt behind a concrete wall in hopes of instilling a jinx. Yankees officials found out about it and it took them five hours to drill through the, i want to say, 2 foot concrete wall and remove the shirt.

Yeah, that was pure genuis. At first the Yankess denied the story, but then found out the worker was a die-hard Boston fan. Being in the Project Management world, I'm wondering if the Yankees will pursue some compensation from the concrete company.

jaybilaswho?

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 01:27:56 PM »
you would think they would seek compensation for time and material for demo-ing the wall. I dont remember exactly but the article did mention something and charges (but i am not certain of any terms). I willl have to find it.

TallTitan34

• All American
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008, 01:42:35 PM »
I don't get why he put it under the vistor's clubhouse.  I think it would have been more of a curse to put it under the home clubhouse. 

I read somewhere (I'll try to find the link) that the Yankees wern't going to sue the concrete company but rather the worker himself.  I feel like a better case would be against the company, however, like you guys said.

Found the link:
http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/8033686/Charges-for-worker-who-planted-Sox-jersey