[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Question about Notre Dame social scene...  (Read 4697 times)

New Era Warriors

• Starter
Question about Notre Dame social scene...
« on: March 28, 2008, 04:28:37 PM »
I hate Notre Dame, don't get me wrong. But I do have a question about their school and their social life: Is ND a big party school or what? What is their night life and weekend life like? I have some friends going there (I know, they're messed up) and I was just wondering what to expect when\if I go visit them...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 08:38:18 AM by mu_hilltopper »

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
Re: Question...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 08:41:42 PM »
My girlfriend graduated from ND in 2004, and is currently back there for her PhD in Psychology. She got her masters at MU, so she's a Warrior too, and a big MU hoops fan.  :)

Anyways, from her stories, and meeting her undergraduate friends, there's definitely a big social scene at ND. I wouldn't necessarily call it a "party school", like Madison or some of the southern schools, but there's definitely lots to do. Seems like more students drink in the dorms there, since there's not as much off-campus living, but Turtle Creek apartments, near campus, is kind of like their Renee Row.

Where it differs from MU is in that South Bend is obviously far less urban, so most of the bars aren't walking distance. Cabs are cheap though, so students definitely go out a ton on the weekends. I've been to the 'Backer, a student favorite, and even out of football season, the place is shoulder to shoulder on Thurs-Sat.

Bottom line, say what you will about our sports rivalry, but there's lots to do there, and it's a very small and close-knit campus, so there's a lot going on even for those who don't drink or party.

MU Chi_IL

• Team Captain
  • Marquette is Solid Gold!
Re: Question about Notre Dame social scene...
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 09:56:24 AM »
ND is not a great social scene.  Most social activity is dorm focused, so you can image how crazy things get!

augoman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008, 12:56:14 AM »
On our visit there, my daughter said "it's like going to a school in a farm field!",  then chose Northwestern.

superfan1387

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2008, 01:17:46 PM »
ND's social scene is non-existant. they just pack 15 people into a tiny dorm room and drink. the school is completely fenced in and kids are afraid to venture out into the big bad world and prefer their little bubble.

ILikePizza

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2008, 02:17:01 PM »
According to one friend of mine, the biggest problem in developing a social scene are the townies in South Bend who want to act like there isn't a large well known college in their town with students who may want to do things.

Ahoya06

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2008, 03:08:04 PM »
I guess as with any school, it's what YOU make of it. My girlfriend, and all her friends, went out and about the town all the time, as well as took advantage of what ND had to offer on campus (dorm events, dances, etc.). Given that ND doesn't have fraternities and sororities, the dorms kind of acted as social organizations in and of themselves.

Is the ND experience better or worse than that at MU? Neither, it's a different experience that is great for many of those who go through it. I wouldn't trade my time at Marquette for anything in the world, and I'm sure folks at other schools feel the same way.

bossmustang

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 03:19:33 PM »
MU Grad 74....ND Grad (MBA) '76.

I found the people to be very similar at both schools.

That said...

Milwaukee has South Bend covered by a very wide margin.  While my experience was long ago...I make it to both towns regularly.  Milwaukee has stretched the lead over the years.   

If the city is part of the social scene....Milwaukee/MU by a significant margin.

feedback