[Today at 10:35:46 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by #UnleashSean
[Today at 09:35:14 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:50:43 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[May 06, 2024, 06:06:48 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting avenues  (Read 10983 times)

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
Re: Recruiting avenues
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2018, 09:23:01 AM »
Wojo needs to recruit on the avenues that have cracked sidewalks.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2018, 09:35:35 AM »
Kneed more ass kickas and less choir boyz, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2018, 09:43:25 AM »
4ever

Definite need for more athletes with a chip on their shoulder. IMO, Wojo is not nearly qualified to coach up choir boys at this point.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2018, 09:46:43 AM »
The bigger question in all of this to me is why it took him so long to figure it out. Did he skip the due diligence part of moving to a new league? How could he not know that winning in the Big East requires some physicality? I feel like that's been the Big East brand of basketball for a while now, even before MU joined the league. Shouldn't this have been more obvious to Wojo from day 1?

I think he might have realized it and just not been able to turn the roster over quick enough. Might Gabe Levin have helped? They went for Kyle Washington but he picked Cincy. Henry's presence may have kept those guys off our roster. I also think Duane and Traci had some more of that edge. Both left, which left us short handed. I realize only one was a Wojo recruit, but he may have been counting on Wilson to help the defense this year with more length and defensive ability in the back court.

Regardless, we are where we are. At least we're seeing the change now and hopefully that will pay off next year.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2018, 09:49:28 AM »
Buzz’s year as an assistant probably helped him identify the talent needed in the Big East as well.

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2018, 10:00:20 AM »
Imagine if more than half of Kevin O'Neill's first recruiting class had left before their junior seasons. No Jim McIlvaine. No Damon Key. No way we make it to the NCAA tournament in O'Neill's fourth season. And no way we beat Kentucky the next year to make the Sweet 16.

Or if 2/3 of the original Three Amigos (Dominic James, Wes Matthews and Jerel McNeal) left the team before they were juniors.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2018, 10:37:15 AM »
Imagine if more than half of Kevin O'Neill's first recruiting class had left before their junior seasons. No Jim McIlvaine. No Damon Key. No way we make it to the NCAA tournament in O'Neill's fourth season. And no way we beat Kentucky the next year to make the Sweet 16.

Or if 2/3 of the original Three Amigos (Dominic James, Wes Matthews and Jerel McNeal) left the team before they were juniors.

There's a good chance those guys would have left had O'Neill/Crean recruited better players behind them that took away their playing time. That didn't happen, and they stayed.
That's how it works these days.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2018, 11:18:47 AM »
Maybe Wojo thought this Catholic league would be softer.  Pitt was gone, UConn was gone, Cuse, etc. 

2014 was not a banner year for the NBE.  It’s conceivable he underestimated how it would evolve. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2018, 11:34:48 AM »
There's a good chance those guys would have left had O'Neill/Crean recruited better players behind them that took away their playing time. That didn't happen, and they stayed. That's how it works these days.

True. Although that wasn't the case for most of the departures from Wojo's first recruiting class. Henry left for the NBA after one season. Haanif was playing 25+ minutes a game and left to be closer to home (he transferred to Florida Gulf Coast in his home state) due to a family matter.

The first was a virtual certainty. The second came as a surprise, announced the morning of a game day.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

i71_dawg

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2018, 12:21:14 PM »
MU still isn't there. I watched the BET games this weekend, and it struck me how far away MU is in terms of toughness and intensity.

This!

In light of this reality, I'm still very concerned about next year.  Expectations are high (as they should be), but I don't know if this team and these players will be able to make the jump in intensity and toughness needed to win at a high level in this league.

Top teams in the Big East work for 40 minutes and defend for 40 minutes with an intensity we've rarely seen out of Wojo's teams.  MU also still lacks the overall length, athleticism, and strength of most other Big East squads.

If Wojo can't finish in the top 4 next year in the Big East with all the players Nova, Xavier, Seton Hall, etc. are losing after this year (to graduation, NBA, etc.), then it's likely he'll never get us into the upper echelon of this conference.  Because you know SH, XU, Nova, Butler, Providence, and others will be back in a big way in future years, even if some of them take a step back next year.

And the funny thing is that despite losing lots of upperclassmen, I bet Chris Mack, Jay Wright, and Willard won't cry to the media after games claiming that they're "just so young."  They don't make excuses, and they don't plan to have down years where they miss the tourney.

If Xavier missed the tournament 4 out of 5 years (no matter what the circumstances), their fans would be outside the Cintas Center with pitchforks and Mack would be run out of town (no matter his past successes).  I hope we're not getting too used to mediocrity at MU.  With the fanbase, tradition, and money we spend on the program, MU should never, ever miss the tournament for even 2 straight years, let alone 4 out of 5 (barely getting in even the 1 year we did - last year).
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 12:29:52 PM by i71_dawg »
MUBB fan for nearly 30 years

DCHoopster

• Team Captain
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2018, 01:15:27 PM »
This!

In light of this reality, I'm still very concerned about next year.  Expectations are high (as they should be), but I don't know if this team and these players will be able to make the jump in intensity and toughness needed to win at a high level in this league.

Top teams in the Big East work for 40 minutes and defend for 40 minutes with an intensity we've rarely seen out of Wojo's teams.  MU also still lacks the overall length, athleticism, and strength of most other Big East squads.

If Wojo can't finish in the top 4 next year in the Big East with all the players Nova, Xavier, Seton Hall, etc. are losing after this year (to graduation, NBA, etc.), then it's likely he'll never get us into the upper echelon of this conference.  Because you know SH, XU, Nova, Butler, Providence, and others will be back in a big way in future years, even if some of them take a step back next year.

And the funny thing is that despite losing lots of upperclassmen, I bet Chris Mack, Jay Wright, and Willard won't cry to the media after games claiming that they're "just so young."  They don't make excuses, and they don't plan to have down years where they miss the tourney.

If Xavier missed the tournament 4 out of 5 years (no matter what the circumstances), their fans would be outside the Cintas Center with pitchforks and Mack would be run out of town (no matter his past successes).  I hope we're not getting too used to mediocrity at MU.  With the fanbase, tradition, and money we spend on the program, MU should never, ever miss the tournament for even 2 straight years, let alone 4 out of 5 (barely getting in even the 1 year we did - last year).

I agree on many of your points.  I am not sure what Morrow will bring to the table yet.  How they play him will be interesting.  Joey as well, and
Bailey.  8 players are back with experience, youth is over.  No excuse.  I believe they have to figure out how to play D next year or there record
will maybe be the same.  Bubble team but that can change with one more addition.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2018, 01:29:42 PM »

Plenty of coaches talk about their teams being young and it being a challenge. Its not an excuse, its a reality. Fans only think of it as an excuse when its their team.

And while Xavier has been the model of consistency in terms of making the tournament, plenty of current coaches had 3/4 year stretches where they didn't make the tournament and they didn't get run out of town....especially at the beginning of their tenures. Jay Wright, Tony Bennett, Mark Turgeon, Mick Cronin to name a few. Of course there are even more coaches that had those stretches and were eventually fired, maybe even should have been fired sooner than they were. Time will tell which category Wojo will fall into.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2018, 01:31:15 PM »
Kneed more ass kickas and less choir boyz, hey?
We need some pogo sticks that can create their own shot off the dribble. I think that would open things up for the softer kids to do their thing.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2018, 01:36:14 PM »
We need some pogo sticks that can create their own shot off the dribble. I think that would open things up for the softer kids to do their thing.
Jamal Cain and Greg Elliot will provide  a lot of that as they mature physically and gain more experience.  Having a healthy left hand will also allow Greg to be steadier off the dribble.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2018, 01:37:05 PM »
This!

He's not in the Big East, but every single year, sometime around January, Calipari will go off to the media how frustrating it is to have a young team.

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2018, 01:37:21 PM »
What happens after recruiting.

Totally agree. I do think some of the "after recruiting" problems could be partly solved by bringing in JUCOs though. They can help fill gaps left by early-departed upperclassmen.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2018, 01:44:16 PM »
This is just eye test but I can’t even count the times I’ve yelled get on the floor during a scramble. It seems to have gotten a little better this year but I think it speaks to the toughness factor that seems to be missing in the Wojo era.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2018, 01:50:33 PM »
Did everyone forget the revolving door Buzz created involving recruiting misses, and people he couldn't develop? 

I think some people have amnesia regarding some things that transpired under Buzz. 

Did he have some home runs, yes, but he had a hell of a lot of strike outs also. 

Wojo has had success developing Rowsey into an actual PG.  He has had a lot of success in developing Sacar.  The huge improvements of this year's freshman, throughout the year are frankly quite amazing. 

Theo John alone went from a guy that could miss a layup so bad that the ball would ricochet off the backboard to the half court line, into a guy that can turn with either hand and step out and hit a 15 foot jump shot. 

I think most people just have selective memories, and unreal expectations of what Wojo should have done.  Give Buzz Wojo's starting talent instead of the three amigo's and he would have struggled tremendously.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2018, 01:56:09 PM »
I think some people have amnesia regarding some things that transpired under Buzz.

You are much more likely to overlook shortcomings when you are winning.

There would be a lot less complaining now if we were annually making NCAA tournaments and winning some games in them.  There'd still be complaining, just less of it.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2018, 01:57:41 PM »
Totally agree. I do think some of the "after recruiting" problems could be partly solved by bringing in JUCOs though. They can help fill gaps left by early-departed upperclassmen.

I did an exercise a year or two ago. I looked at the all the top 100 JUCO lists from the years where Wojo was coach. In the 300 JUCOs I looked at, there were maybe a dozen who would have been anything more than a back of the rotation player for Marquette. JUCO is not this magical place where a bunch of high major ready players are hiding. The reality is that there are a select few JUCOs who are good enough to play at Marquette and those few are highly sought after.

Buzz spoiled us with JUCOs. His run of Buycks, DJO, Crowder, JFB, and McKay (really wish he stayed here) was one of the best groups of JUCOs (maybe the best) in the modern era of college basketball. He had the networks at that level and was the best in the business at working with JUCOs. That is not what most high majors experiences are with JUCOs.

Also, Wojo has recruited at least three JUCOs that I know of. Jimario Rivers (Memphis), Brandon Brown (Loyola Marymount), and Darral Willis Jr (Wichita State). Even got Willis Jr on campus. He's willing to recruit JUCOs, he just hasn't landed any.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2018, 02:01:23 PM »
Did everyone forget the revolving door Buzz created involving recruiting misses, and people he couldn't develop? 

Did he have some home runs, yes, but he had a hell of a lot of strike outs also. 

Wojo has had success developing Rowsey into an actual PG.  He has had a lot of success in developing Sacar.  The huge improvements of this year's freshman, throughout the year are frankly quite amazing. 

Theo John alone went from a guy that could miss a layup so bad that the ball would ricochet off the backboard to the half court line, into a guy that can turn with either hand and step out and hit a 15 foot jump shot. 

I think most people just have selective memories, and unreal expectations of what Wojo should have done.  Give Buzz Wojo's starting talent instead of the three amigo's and he would have struggled tremendously.

Good post.
With all of the revisionist Buzz-love sometimes I feel I must be the only one that thought Buzz had a big learning curve initially with the X's & O's. Reading recent posts it seems like Buzz started out as a great in-game coach but I remember many WTF is he doing moments.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2018, 02:05:12 PM »

Jay Wright didn't make the NCAA tourney until his fourth year at 'Nova, and by then he had 10 years experience as a head coach.
Kevin Willard didn't make the tourney until his sixth season at Seton Hall, and by then he had nine years experience as a head coach.
Neither would have lasted long enough to see their current success with some of you guys in charge.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2018, 02:05:32 PM »
Good post.
With all of the revisionist Buzz-love sometimes I feel I must be the only one that thought Buzz had a big learning curve initially with the X's & O's. Reading recent posts it seems like Buzz started out as a great in-game coach but I remember many WTF is he doing moments.

Yes, I remember all the substitutions he used to do, just non-stop.  Drove a bunch of us just crazy. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2018, 02:06:51 PM »
Buzz would sub somebody at nearly every dead ball after the first 4 minutes.     Rarely had that deep of a team, so he would get guys 30-45 seconds of rest at a time and then back at it.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2018, 02:17:54 PM »
Buzz would sub somebody at nearly every dead ball after the first 4 minutes.     Rarely had that deep of a team, so he would get guys 30-45 seconds of rest at a time and then back at it.

I knew someone out there would remember, my goodness that was frustrating to watch.  Time flies.......