[Today at 01:00:40 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by MU82
[Today at 12:54:04 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by 1SE
[Today at 05:22:49 AM]

Most Painful Transfers In MUBB History? by Jay Bee
[May 04, 2024, 10:20:49 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Vander disses Derrick Wilson for a slap of 5 on bench...  (Read 55614 times)

godzilla

• Scholarship Player
Re: Vander disses Derrick Wilson for a slap of 5 on bench...
« Reply #200 on: January 22, 2012, 10:23:58 PM »
Spending all your online time dedicating yourself to hating on a teenage kid seems a bit sad and pathetic. I hope your kids never disappoint you, or that if they do, you only channel this kind of bitter vitriol toward complete strangers.

I'm guessing that the posters who are hardest on Blue, like myself, have relatives at MU (or know students there) and have heard that Blue is not some reformed good kid and is still a "punk," which is what my niece and her friends refer to him as.

His play on the court is "eh" but he's much worse off the court, imo.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #201 on: January 22, 2012, 10:33:59 PM »
Erik,

I think your evaluation of Vander is actually fair.

However, your reaction to Vander being a role player is what is off base.

Other than DJO and Jae, every player at MU is a role player with some big holes in his game.

It seems like you are mad at Vander for not being as good as you want him to be, and now it's gotten to the point where you take pleasure in ripping him.

When Vander misses a lay-up, you always seem to be posting about it. Todd Mayo missed a breakaway dunk, and we don't hear a peep from you.

You need to just back off the kid a little and let him develop (like you seem to do for every other player).

PS Is the bet on?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 10:35:34 PM by 2002MUalum »

MUCam

• All American
« Reply #202 on: January 22, 2012, 10:50:34 PM »
I'm guessing that the posters who are hardest on Blue, like myself, have relatives at MU (or know students there) and have heard that Blue is not some reformed good kid and is still a "punk," which is what my niece and her friends refer to him as.

I often heard that Travis Diener was a punk. Thoughts?

EDIT: I make no claim as to the veracity of reportss regarding Diener. I just raise the issue because using "Blue is a punk" appears to me to be a false justification for trashing the kid.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 10:54:11 PM by MUCam »

NersEllenson

• All American
« Reply #203 on: January 22, 2012, 11:15:18 PM »
Erik,

I think your evaluation of Vander is actually fair.

However, your reaction to Vander being a role player is what is off base.

Other than DJO and Jae, every player at MU is a role player with some big holes in his game.

It seems like you are mad at Vander for not being as good as you want him to be, and now it's gotten to the point where you take pleasure in ripping him.

When Vander misses a lay-up, you always seem to be posting about it. Todd Mayo missed a breakaway dunk, and we don't hear a peep from you.

You need to just back off the kid a little and let him develop (like you seem to do for every other player).

PS Is the bet on?
Probably because Mayo makes a lot of 3's, as well as other shots, limits his turnovers, and is an equally capable defender as is Vander.  Cotton was on a roll all day long yesterday, until Buzz put Mayo on him, and had Mayo face guard Cotton. Cotton was rendered invisible the rest of the way.  Vander is a solid defender, a good rebounding guard, but beyond that, he offers little at this point. 

If Vander can put on about 15 pounds of muscle this off season, and improve his shot a little bit, he will be a productive and effective player as a junior and senior.  Right now it seems he lacks some of the strength necessary to finish around the basket.  This is not hating on Vander either...it is just acknowledging the reality of his game right now..

"I'm not sure Cadougan would fix the problems on this team. I'm not even convinced he would be better for this team than DeWil is."

BrewCity77, December 8, 2013

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #204 on: January 23, 2012, 05:08:12 AM »
Godzilla I have said this earlier but I have multiple relatives at MU who have told me a bunch of positive and negative things about Blue and other players. I have said some of the positive things here. Now I have no idea if your niece is telling the truth or not, but I think it is classless for you to post anonymously on a message board what she says and treat it like gospel.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #205 on: January 23, 2012, 06:42:26 AM »
It is lunacy that this thread is running 9 pages. Who could contribute to this conversation and feel any kind of pride in themselves as human beings?
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

chren21

• All American
« Reply #206 on: January 23, 2012, 07:16:26 AM »
 Vander is a solid defender, a good rebounding guard, but beyond that, he offers little at this point.

If Vander can put on about 15 pounds of muscle this off season, and improve his shot a little bit, he will be a productive and effective player as a junior and senior.  Right now it seems he lacks some of the strength necessary to finish around the basket.  This is not hating on Vander either...it is just acknowledging the reality of his game right now..

This is right on. I would think anyone trying to say vander is more than the description above at this stage would have a hard time backing this up.  Other than I'm not sure it's a strength issue than more or less simply not having the killer instinct to "finish" whether is is near the basket or away.  When he makes a basket MOST of the time I almost feel like it was lucky, unless it is a relatively easy layup.  I have not read all these posts except for the last few but I don't feel like this is hating on him either...  Just what I see and feel.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 07:20:29 AM by chren21 »

Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup

• All American
  • Formerly known as notkirkcameron
    • Yellow Chair Sports
« Reply #207 on: January 23, 2012, 07:24:53 AM »

If true, I am shocked, SHOCKED, I tell you, that a college sophomore may not measure up to all of some adult's standards of behavior, because I know at age 19/20, I was a portrait of maturity.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 07:26:44 AM by Buzz Williams' Spillproof Chiclets Cup »
“These guys in this locker room are all warriors -- every one of them. We ought to change our name back from the Golden Eagles because Warriors are what we really are." ~Wesley Matthews

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #208 on: January 23, 2012, 07:39:44 AM »

/eyeroll
/facepalm

CONGRATS!!

You just used one of the FIVE LAZIEST accusations in sports commentary!  Also would have accepted thug, phony, and clown.

Your prize:  this snarky post from me. 

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2011/12/21/2646951/five-laziest-accusations-sports-commentary

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #209 on: January 23, 2012, 07:42:09 AM »
It is lunacy that this thread is running 9 pages. Who could contribute to this conversation and feel any kind of pride in themselves as human beings?

CHECK, and MATE.  I could not have summed up this thread more succinctly in one sentence than that one.  I made it big, and bold, so that everyone may bask.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #210 on: January 23, 2012, 07:42:33 AM »
Probably because Mayo makes a lot of 3's, as well as other shots, limits his turnovers, and is an equally capable defender as is Vander.  Cotton was on a roll all day long yesterday, until Buzz put Mayo on him, and had Mayo face guard Cotton. Cotton was rendered invisible the rest of the way.  Vander is a solid defender, a good rebounding guard, but beyond that, he offers little at this point.  

Mayo: 10.0/2.9/1.5/44.7%/35.9% from 3/1.7 TO in 22.1 minutes
Blue: 7.8/3.9/3.5/43.0%/27.8%/2.3 TO in 25.6 minutes

And I think while Mayo is an increasingly good defender, Blue is still a little better.

When I look at these, they really aren't all that different.  They both have roles to play.  Mayo's is to score.  Blue's is to handle, rebound and defend.  As we have needed more scoring, Mayo's minutes have obviously increased.  And rightly so.  He is playing well.

I think it has to do with expectations more than anything.  People expected more out of Blue.  He was a decommit from our in-state rival, a high profile signing, and is now a sophomore.  Mayo was a lightly recruited late signee, and is still a freshman.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 07:44:12 AM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

lab_warrior

• All American
« Reply #211 on: January 23, 2012, 07:51:58 AM »
Right now it seems he lacks some of the strength necessary to finish around the basket. 

Do you live on planet Earth, and have retinas?
/rhetorical

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/lk-J27-L-lY&amp;fs=1&amp;source=uds" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/lk-J27-L-lY&amp;fs=1&amp;source=uds</a>

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3hGilSI2SC4&amp;fs=1&amp;source=uds" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/3hGilSI2SC4&amp;fs=1&amp;source=uds</a>

He's also had highlight reel dunks against several other teams this year.  Finishing at the hoop seems to NOT be a problem for him.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #212 on: January 23, 2012, 07:59:30 AM »
Yeah, it is a touch issue more than a strength issue. 

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #213 on: January 23, 2012, 08:11:19 AM »
Showing three dunks doesn't mean Vander doesn't have trouble finishing around the hoop.   Someone with a big video library could easily put together a score of examples of him putting up a shot in the paint, hitting rim over and over.

Vander is who he is .. I doubt anyone would suggest he has played up to original hype/expectations.  He's a high-level defender with mid to low level scoring ability.  He'll probably finish his career at MU with those same traits, but who knows.

Canned Goods n Ammo

• All American
  • Ammo, clean shaven Ammo.
« Reply #214 on: January 23, 2012, 08:17:32 AM »
Probably because Mayo makes a lot of 3's, as well as other shots, limits his turnovers, and is an equally capable defender as is Vander.  Cotton was on a roll all day long yesterday, until Buzz put Mayo on him, and had Mayo face guard Cotton. Cotton was rendered invisible the rest of the way.  Vander is a solid defender, a good rebounding guard, but beyond that, he offers little at this point. 

If Vander can put on about 15 pounds of muscle this off season, and improve his shot a little bit, he will be a productive and effective player as a junior and senior.  Right now it seems he lacks some of the strength necessary to finish around the basket.  This is not hating on Vander either...it is just acknowledging the reality of his game right now..

Again, I'm not saying Vander is perfect. He's an incomplete player as a soph.

Pointing out the holes in his game in a constructive manner is good conversation. Mayo has been the better player lately, and they are coming up with a nice rotation between them.

However, every player makes mistakes. Blue seems to get crucified more than everybody else, and that's what I'm talking about.

Mayo is a good role player. He misses a dunk. Everybody shrugs.

Vander is a good role player. He misses a dunk, he is big a disappointment.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #215 on: January 23, 2012, 08:46:24 AM »
I often heard that Travis Diener was a punk. Thoughts?

Though I have heard quite a few accounts of Diener's punkiness, Travis was a scrappy, little white guy and the best player on the team for a couple years so no one is allowed to say anything bad about him.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #216 on: January 23, 2012, 09:02:04 AM »

Mayo: 10.0/2.9/1.5/44.7%/35.9% from 3/1.7 TO in 22.1 minutes
Blue: 7.8/3.9/3.5/43.0%/27.8%/2.3 TO in 25.6 minutes

And I think while Mayo is an increasingly good defender, Blue is still a little better.

When I look at these, they really aren't all that different.  They both have roles to play.  Mayo's is to score.  Blue's is to handle, rebound and defend.  As we have needed more scoring, Mayo's minutes have obviously increased.  And rightly so.  He is playing well.

I think it has to do with expectations more than anything.  People expected more out of Blue.  He was a decommit from our in-state rival, a high profile signing, and is now a sophomore.  Mayo was a lightly recruited late signee, and is still a freshman.

Please don't use stats from games vs. the Savannah State's of CBB. I've posted Blue's stats vs. top 100 teams in the non conference and they are very similar. CONF Games:
Blue is averaging 4.3 ppg, 3.6 reb, 3.7 assists, 0.5 stl, & 2.3 to.
Mayo is averaging 10.4 ppg, 3.6 reb, 1.6 assists, 0.143 stl & 2.1 to.

Note that mayo is getting 25 minutes per game vs. Blue's 15. He's being productive with assists and rebounds considering his minutes, but is still a liability on offense and turns the ball over way to much.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #217 on: January 23, 2012, 09:16:05 AM »

You mean in your niece's opinion, right?

Suggested new topic of discussion: Was Vander Blue the sole reason for the Marquette Tribune's editorial?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #218 on: January 23, 2012, 09:17:55 AM »
This is a really good thread.

I'm super glad that you guys are still talking about this.  We're totally going to get somewhere in this discussion today.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #219 on: January 23, 2012, 09:50:07 AM »
This is a really good thread.

I'm super glad that you guys are still talking about this.  We're totally going to get somewhere in this discussion today.

I did gain some ground in this thread by deciding just to ignore Erick.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #220 on: January 23, 2012, 10:09:39 AM »
Please don't use stats from games vs. the Savannah State's of CBB. I've posted Blue's stats vs. top 100 teams in the non conference and they are very similar. CONF Games:
Blue is averaging 4.3 ppg, 3.6 reb, 3.7 assists, 0.5 stl, & 2.3 to.
Mayo is averaging 10.4 ppg, 3.6 reb, 1.6 assists, 0.143 stl & 2.1 to.

Note that mayo is getting 25 minutes per game vs. Blue's 15. He's being productive with assists and rebounds considering his minutes, but is still a liability on offense and turns the ball over way to much.

OK, but see here is the problem.  "He turns the ball over way too much."  He turns it over just 0.2 times more per game than Mayo...that is *one* turnover every *five* games.  That isn't really all that different in the grand scheme of things.  There is a bias in the statement that makes no sense.

Mayo is the better scorer.  Blue is the better distributor and defender.  They have different roles.

esotericmindguy

• All American
« Reply #221 on: January 23, 2012, 11:16:16 AM »
"He turns it over just 0.2 times more per game than Mayo", but in 10 less minutes. Although Mayo needs to do a better job in that department. That said the more aggressive you are offensively the more apt to turn it over.

My post was in response to your comment about the stats being similar, I don't think they are.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #222 on: January 23, 2012, 11:26:02 AM »
Yeah, you did a good job narrowing them down to the BE season.  And that does make your point.  It also shows that they are serving different roles.  Mayo has also grown to the point that he can do some of the things that Vander can do better than he could at the beginning of the year.  (Rebound, defend)

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #223 on: January 23, 2012, 11:26:12 AM »

OK, but see here is the problem.  "He turns the ball over way too much."  He turns it over just 0.2 times more per game than Mayo...that is *one* turnover every *five* games.  That isn't really all that different in the grand scheme of things.  There is a bias in the statement that makes no sense.

Mayo is the better scorer.  Blue is the better distributor and defender.  They have different roles.

A lot of fans measure a player's ability by how many points he scores. But looking at it another way, if you assume 2 points for every assist then Blue's points + assists account for 11.7 ppg while Mayo accounts for 13.6 (using esoteric's stats). On the season, Blue accounts for 14.8 ppg, Mayo 13.0 ppg. Tells a bit of a different story, eh?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #224 on: January 23, 2012, 11:33:51 AM »
A lot of fans measure a player's ability by how many points he scores. But looking at it another way, if you assume 2 points for every assist then Blue's points + assists account for 11.7 ppg while Mayo accounts for 13.6 (using esoteric's stats). On the season, Blue accounts for 14.8 ppg, Mayo 13.0 ppg. Tells a bit of a different story, eh?

How dare you use the Blue-haters' stats to contradict their own arguments?!? We MUST find fault with him, no matter what rational thought tells us!
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

feedback