[Today at 05:19:00 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by brewcity77
[Today at 04:24:00 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by burger
[Today at 03:05:13 PM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by Billy Hoyle
[Today at 12:46:07 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 68-team Field  (Read 3896 times)

radome

• Team Captain
68-team Field
« on: May 21, 2010, 09:26:26 AM »
I just read an article on CBSsports and was surprised that the "play-in" games are most likely going to be in Dayton. I guess that I just expected the games would be played at the first round site to save travel costs, etc. Has the play-in always been in Dayton and I just never noticed?

goodgreatgrand

• Team Captain
Re: 68-team Field
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 09:32:42 AM »
yup. always Dayton. Besides, travel costs are paid for by the NCAA. And it's not like the play-in winners will be traveling any more than to and from Dayton.  :D

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 09:49:16 AM »
Would seem to make sense to play at 1st round sites.  However, the cost of tying up large venues for an extra 3 days seems rather prohibitive...?  Also wwould tie-up the time of host schools for those three days as well.  Probably better to play these games in one place ( whether that would be Dayton or wherever ).  Perhaps the games could be played on the home court of 4 of the host schools as that would put the teams physically in place and avoid the issues noted above. 
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 10:04:44 AM by Nukem2 »

jmayer1

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 10:23:47 AM »
Would seem to make sense to play at 1st round sites.  However, the cost of tying up large venues for an extra 3 days seems rather prohibitive...?  Also wwould tie-up the time of host schools for those three days as well.  Probably better to play these games in one place ( whether that would be Dayton or wherever ).  Perhaps the games could be played on the home court of 4 of the host schools as that would put the teams physically in place and avoid the issues noted above. 

As Chicos has pointed out before as well, tourney sites would probably have a hard time selling tickets for only 1 game that isn't a very enticing matchup.  At least if all the games are played in Dayton, they can sell tickets to a 4 game session.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 10:29:56 AM »
As Chicos has pointed out before as well, tourney sites would probably have a hard time selling tickets for only 1 game that isn't a very enticing matchup.  At least if all the games are played in Dayton, they can sell tickets to a 4 game session.
Logistically, its hard to have teams/fans play in Dayton and then travel to Idaho or wherever.  I don't think the NCAA is too worried about the fans in the seats here.  Its all about television $$$$$.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 11:57:37 AM »
Actually Dayton is probably a pretty good location.  Chances are quite favorable that the teams involved are East of the Mississippi and dayton is pretty centrally located for that.  Additonally attendance should be pretty decent considering most of the fans have probably rarely is ever seen there team play an NCAA game and Dayton  provides for a good environment versus a potential cavernous arena for  abunch of schools and fans from a 1 bid conference.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 12:35:43 PM »
Actually Dayton is probably a pretty good location.  Chances are quite favorable that the teams involved are East of the Mississippi and dayton is pretty centrally located for that.  Additonally attendance should be pretty decent considering most of the fans have probably rarely is ever seen there team play an NCAA game and Dayton  provides for a good environment versus a potential cavernous arena for  abunch of schools and fans from a 1 bid conference.
No doubt that its a good venue and Dayton fans will show up.  But, its still a logistical issue issue for 4 teams and its fans (1 per region) to go to Dayton on Tuesday/Wednesday and then on to another distant city/ve nue for a 1st round game on Thursday/Friday.  I still think it would make far more sense to have the 4 games at the home court of  host institutions so that the teams would be in place without additional travel.  Dayton was ok for 2 teams in one game, but...?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 01:41:48 PM »
No doubt that its a good venue and Dayton fans will show up.  But, its still a logistical issue issue for 4 teams and its fans (1 per region) to go to Dayton on Tuesday/Wednesday and then on to another distant city/ve nue for a 1st round game on Thursday/Friday. 

They don't travel by wagon train you know.

Canadian Dimes

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 01:59:11 PM »
They don't travel by wagon train you know.

nuke is right it is more of a cost and time issue. basically ahve to take the entire week off versus 1 or two days.  Additonally depending where you are coming from the fan may have to fly to dayton and then fly to somehwere else versus 1 flight. 

No perfect scenario and my guess is the kicker is many ofthese arena have concerts or what have you on monday, tuesday or wednaesday also back to back games provide potentially twice as amny fans and a more tournament type atmosphere.  could u imagine 3000 people watching prairie view A&m play towson state in thompson bowling arena? 

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 02:12:45 PM »
No doubt that its a good venue and Dayton fans will show up.  But, its still a logistical issue issue for 4 teams and its fans (1 per region) to go to Dayton on Tuesday/Wednesday and then on to another distant city/ve nue for a 1st round game on Thursday/Friday.  I still think it would make far more sense to have the 4 games at the home court of  host institutions so that the teams would be in place without additional travel.  Dayton was ok for 2 teams in one game, but...?
There is a simple answer for the team that does not want to travel from Dayton to another site. Lose the first game. Often times the teams in these games play have not played much in the NCAA tournament and are very happy to be there no matter what the circumstanses are.

Chili

• All American
  • Hot w/noodles, beans, cheese, sour cream & onions
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 02:17:41 PM »
There is a simple answer for the team that does not want to travel from Dayton to another site. Lose the first game. Often times the teams in these games play have not played much in the NCAA tournament and are very happy to be there no matter what the circumstanses are.

You are assuming that they keep the format the same for the play in game. I for hope they change it to the final 8 out play in. Just my 2 cents.
But I like to throw handfuls...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 02:19:29 PM »
nuke is right it is more of a cost and time issue. basically ahve to take the entire week off versus 1 or two days.  Additonally depending where you are coming from the fan may have to fly to dayton and then fly to somehwere else versus 1 flight. 

No perfect scenario and my guess is the kicker is many ofthese arena have concerts or what have you on monday, tuesday or wednaesday also back to back games provide potentially twice as amny fans and a more tournament type atmosphere.  could u imagine 3000 people watching prairie view A&m play towson state in thompson bowling arena? 

My guess is that having it in Dayton is actually cheaper.  Dayton is an on-campus arena that they probably rent at a rock-bottom cost, which is likely quite cheaper than renting four additional arenas for a few extra days.

As far as the travel costs go, you are really only talking about four additional charters.  The play in loser flys in and flys out no matter where they play.  The play in winners have to only make one additional flight.

Now on top of that is the atmosphere factor that having all games at one place would provide.

I'm sure the NCAA has figured this all out and knows the costs and benefits that playing in Dayton provide.  IOW, there is a good reason they made the choice they did.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 03:05:44 PM »
You are assuming that they keep the format the same for the play in game. I for hope they change it to the final 8 out play in. Just my 2 cents.
Thats what I think will happen.  To have 16's plat 17's will generate zero excitement for CBS/NCAA.  Thus the 8 teams will be from BCS conferences or higher mid-majors.  I don't think these teams/fans will relish traveling twice in such a short time frame.  Plane travel is quick, but the logistics of moving are significant.  Having the games in the city of 1st round venues would ease that issue.  Agian, the play-in games could be played at host institution's venue as opposed to where the 1st round (now 2nd round ) games are played, but still in the same city.  For instance, if Butler was a host school, the play-in game for that region could be played at Hinkle while the dome in Indianapolis is readied for the round of 64 and the other 7 teams arrive.  Teams and fans would not have to migrate and prep for next round would be easier.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 03:39:33 PM by Nukem2 »

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 03:38:53 PM »
You can pretty much guaranty that these will be the weakest of the auto qualifiers.  Do you really think, with all the turmoil going on with the BCS schools and conference reallignment, that the NCAA is going to make BCS schools play an extra round?

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 04:54:32 PM »
You can pretty much guaranty that these will be the weakest of the auto qualifiers.  Do you really think, with all the turmoil going on with the BCS schools and conference reallignment, that the NCAA is going to make BCS schools play an extra round?
Yes.  I think the move to 68 teams is simply the precursor to moving to 96 teams.  Putting the final 8 BCS teams in the play-in games will help the NCAA preview some of the logistical issues as well as providing some quality games on Tuesday/Wednesday.  Having the 16/17 seeds hack it out will please no one.  Why bother otherwise.  3 more BCS teams get in and the round of 64 remains intact.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2010, 07:44:16 PM »
If I were a gambling man, I would bet you on this....and give you 5:1 odds too.

And they'd bother because they are adding four BCS (or mid major) teams to the regular tournament.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 07:45:49 PM by The Sultan of South Wayne »

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2010, 07:21:48 AM »
Yes.  I think the move to 68 teams is simply the precursor to moving to 96 teams.  Putting the final 8 BCS teams in the play-in games will help the NCAA preview some of the logistical issues as well as providing some quality games on Tuesday/Wednesday.  Having the 16/17 seeds hack it out will please no one.  Why bother otherwise.  3 more BCS teams get in and the round of 64 remains intact.

Because the 96 team thing was a smokescreen to allow for a smaller expansion so the NCAA doesn't get buried for expanding when the Great West conference gets an autobid in 2 years.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 08:45:21 AM »
Some people want the final 8 at-large teams to play on Tuesday. VT-Illinois, Florida -Utah St, etc.....
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

bismarckslim

• Walk-On
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 08:52:53 AM »
Dayton is a pretty nothing town. Why not pick a spot where the sun is warm, the women are hot, and the beer is ice cold?

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 09:25:05 AM »
If I were a gambling man, I would bet you on this....and give you 5:1 odds too.

And they'd bother because they are adding four BCS (or mid major) teams to the regular tournament.
You may well be right in the final analysis. But, this first expansion toward 96 teams is all about $$$$$$$.  I suspect they'll want to get it right.  Having the last 8 at-large teams play would be a step toward getting those enhanced $$$.  Having the 16-17 seeds hack it out in Dayton will do nothing toward that end and would be very short-sighted. The committee has said it wants these extra games to be meaningful. A round of 16-17 would be anything but that.  Lets see if the NCAA and the basketball committee do the right thing.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2010, 02:29:31 PM »
Dayton is a pretty nothing town. Why not pick a spot where the sun is warm, the women are hot, and the beer is ice cold?

Because they want people to go to the games?

:D
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle