'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Moving on to the 19-20 Season  (Read 55277 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Moving on to the 19-20 Season
« Reply #100 on: May 31, 2019, 07:08:28 AM »
This is all well and good, but what I think so many fail to understand is that whatever Koby and whoever else brought this year was going to be in ADDITION to the 15PPG Sam brought. So let's say Koby averaged 12PPG and Sam was still there, those were "bonus" points. Now they are a necessity. So if Koby(hypothetically) was going to score those 12PPG WITH Sam, Ok that replaces Sam's production(essentially), but then who replaces Koby's production?? Bailey?? Okay, then who replaces what Bailey would have given you etc etc. It has an effect on the entire roster. Guys that may not be capable, have to step up, where as before, they could have been role players in situations that they were probably best suited for.

No one fails to understand that. That's the reason people are projecting us to a fringe top-25 team rather than a top-10 team. The most likely reality is we simply won't be as good.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #101 on: May 31, 2019, 08:12:17 AM »
This is all well and good, but what I think so many fail to understand is that whatever Koby and whoever else brought this year was going to be in ADDITION to the 15PPG Sam brought. So let's say Koby averaged 12PPG and Sam was still there, those were "bonus" points. Now they are a necessity. So if Koby(hypothetically) was going to score those 12PPG WITH Sam, Ok that replaces Sam's production(essentially), but then who replaces Koby's production?? Bailey?? Okay, then who replaces what Bailey would have given you etc etc. It has an effect on the entire roster. Guys that may not be capable, have to step up, where as before, they could have been role players in situations that they were probably best suited for.
Basketball is a dynamic game not static. The new team structure will be able to supply the points needed to win. Markus will be the leading scorer most games. There will be a rotation of players who are the second leading scorer depending on match ups. MU will play an exciting brand of fast break basketball.   

One other important factor , is that MU will have a much more appealing group of guys when recruits come in for their official visits. 
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

NorthernDancerColt

• All American
« Reply #102 on: May 31, 2019, 08:16:55 AM »
Basketball is a dynamic game not static. The new team structure will be able to supply the points needed to win. Markus will be the leading scorer most games. There will be a rotation of players who are the second leading scorer depending on match ups. MU will play an exciting brand of fast break basketball.   

One other important factor , is that MU will have a much more appealing group of guys when recruits come in for their official visits.

I agree with this analysis.
Zenyatta has a lot....a lot... of ground to make up. She gets there from here she’d be a super horse......what’s this.....Zenyatta hooked to the grandstand side....Zenyatta flying on the outside....this....is...un-belieeeeeevable!...looked impossible at the top of the stretch...

GoldenEagle323

• Team Captain
« Reply #103 on: May 31, 2019, 08:17:12 AM »

why do you think the guys will be more appealing?

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #104 on: May 31, 2019, 08:19:44 AM »

Care to expand on this?

muguru

• All American
« Reply #105 on: May 31, 2019, 08:24:29 AM »
No one fails to understand that. That's the reason people are projecting us to a fringe top-25 team rather than a top-10 team. The most likely reality is we simply won't be as good.

Exactly...But yet, a lot don't want to admit that or see it...they try to say/think it will be okay if...well, the reality is, this team will NOT be as good as they were going to be. Talent matters, and MU lost two talented players..I mean you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #106 on: May 31, 2019, 08:38:35 AM »
Exactly...But yet, a lot don't want to admit that or see it...they try to say/think it will be okay if...well, the reality is, this team will NOT be as good as they were going to be. Talent matters, and MU lost two talented players..I mean you can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig.
Take a look at this video of Jamal. He has added a good ten pounds of muscle.

https://twitter.com/MarquetteMBB/status/1134261637450555392
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #107 on: May 31, 2019, 08:39:05 AM »

Hmmm. Supported by what facts?

My biggest concern next year will be defensive rebounding.  Ed will need to play a ton of minutes as he is the only one I trust on the defensive end to rebound.

Yes Johnson and John will provide some rebounding too but the center position in Wojo's defense seems to be highly counted on to shore up perimeter defense issues and thus is rarely in position to rebound well.  That means Ed will need to play the '4' position.

Haven't we read that Johnson is an elite rebounder? Do you really think he'll be 20 feet from the basket on defense often? I hope not.

Offensive can be generated off better defense with transition opportunities that didn’t exist as often with the Hausers. 

Does it cover the half court execution that was there with the Hausers?  I’d say not fully but the offense can still be good if different. 

I think this is very important, U.R. We had almost no transition offense last season. So few easy baskets off of steals, deflections, etc. Hopefully we will get several of those per game next season because we'll need them.

Yeah I just don’t see that. We will be more athletic no doubt, but no more that dozens of other teams.

I have to agree with this, based on what I've seen so far. Maybe Greg has a lot more to show us, Koby is an otherworldly athlete, etc. I hope that's all true. There are a lot of very athletic teams out there, including many in the BEast.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #108 on: May 31, 2019, 08:41:38 AM »
When since after the first year has scoring points been an issue for MU?  Guess what? It wont be this year either.  And adding Kobys 12 to Sams 15 would not equal 27 thats completely illigical. Only so many possesions n shots.  Bottom line is we will improve tremendously on defense n will score in transition, in my opinion more than compensating for the loss of Sam.  Joey is a wash, brendan n jamal arguably better anyway.
Political free board, plz leave your clever quips in your clever mind.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #109 on: May 31, 2019, 08:46:31 AM »
If Theo and Ed can both hit the 12-15 ft jumper with any kind of consistency, the overall offense will be just fine.
Well, the stats say that we don't want anyone trying to make 12-15 footers, because those are highly inefficient shots.  I certainly don't want Ed and Theo hoisting those regularly when NBA players only make 40% of their shots from only 8-9 feet away.

Good stuff here: https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-mapping-shots-in-the-nba-changed-it-forever/

"As it turns out, NBA players make only 40 percent of their shots between 8 and 9 feet from the rim, and that number drops to only 35 percent between 25 and 26 feet from the rim...If it’s true that 3-point shots go in 36 percent of the time and 10-foot shots go in just 40 percent of the time, then why are we assigning 50 percent more value to shots from beyond that magical little arc?"
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #110 on: May 31, 2019, 09:03:58 AM »
The more of gurus posts i read the more i am concerned about his cognitive abilities.  To literally think that adding kiby would have us scoring 12 more points a game is troubling.
Also odd that texas tech played virginia in the national championship game the two beat defensive teams in the country coupled with the fact that we have been one of the best offnsive teams in the nation under wojo yet it has provided us with zero NcAa wins.  Keep pining those offensive numbers tho guru

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #111 on: May 31, 2019, 09:06:06 AM »

Well we can either play the season with what we have or fold tents and sleep until November 2020. You make do with what you have, not what you wish you had. People are looking at what this team is. That can't be changed, and all the complaining in the world won't do it.

Basically, you can deal with it or live in fairyland. Most are dealing with reality. Up to you if you want to do the same. But complaining won't bring the Hausers back.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #112 on: May 31, 2019, 09:07:59 AM »
Well...I'm going to say this slowly so you understand..basketball is a very simple game...you determine a winner by who has the most points at the end of a game. So while yes, they should be better defensively and in transition, what YOU seem to fail to understand is they will NOT be as good offensively. So if they give up say as an example...68 points per game, but only score 66 points per game...68 is greater than 66, therefore, they lose those games Sand knit. Great to be better defensively, but if you can't score...what good is it?? You talk about their bad defense and slow feet, but NEVER mention how big of a gaping hole offensively they are leaving...Sam especially. That's 15PPG that left. How do you propose they replace that??

Say it as slowly as u would like guru, it does not make what you saying any more logical or correct.  Did MU score 10 more points a game last year after adding Joey from the year before?  It doesnt work that way, no matter how u spin it

Mr. Sand-Knit

• All American
« Reply #113 on: May 31, 2019, 09:09:19 AM »
Well we can either play the season with what we have or fold tents and sleep until November 2020. You make do with what you have, not what you wish you had. People are looking at what this team is. That can't be changed, and all the complaining in the world won't do it.

Basically, you can deal with it or live in fairyland. Most are dealing with reality. Up to you if you want to do the same. But complaining won't bring the Hausers back.

Exactly,  wouldnt it be ideal if guru just disappeared until this time next year?

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #114 on: May 31, 2019, 09:10:19 AM »
The whole point of this thread was to move on to discuss next year. Now it’s stuck in the “what abou the Hausers” nonsense.

Aren’t there a dozen other threads to discuss them?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #115 on: May 31, 2019, 09:13:11 AM »

The loss of Joey is not a big deal, they can make up for his 10 points.  But the loss of Sam is huge, he flat out was the best shooter at MU from distance for a forward since Steve Novak.  The boys are smart splitting up since they really are the same player.  MU will be fine next year if they play as a team and Markus does just not play
hero ball.  In saying that, Wojo has to put the other players in a position to score.  To many time last year, particularly the last few games, Markus and Sam had to take
bad shots once the play broke down. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #116 on: May 31, 2019, 09:15:41 AM »

This, of course.

We no longer have Dwyane Wade, Butch Lee or Mike Moran, either.

The title of this thread is "Moving on to the 19-20 Season." The Hausers are about as relevant to the discussion of the 2019-20 team as those long-ago former Marquette players are.

Wojo doesn't need to "replace" anybody. He needs to maximize the talent and production of the players who have chosen to be Warriors in 2019-20.

The two most important words in the thread title are "Moving on."

There are other threads to lament the absence of players who no longer wanted to be Warriors.

muguru

• All American
« Reply #117 on: May 31, 2019, 09:19:22 AM »
Exactly,  wouldnt it be ideal if guru just disappeared until this time next year?
Alright Sand..acknowledging your "only so many possessions in a game", to be factual..with limited possessions..it's logical to assume you want to maximize every possession..so..I think we all know 3pts>2pts. That's the biggest element gone that's not coming back..who replaces that part of it?
“Being realistic is the most common path to mediocrity.” Will Smith

We live in a society that rewards mediocrity , I detest mediocrity - David Goggi

I want this quote to serve as a reminder to the vast majority of scoop posters in regards to the MU BB program.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #118 on: May 31, 2019, 09:26:06 AM »
Alright Sand..acknowledging your "only so many possessions in a game", to be factual..with limited possessions..it's logical to assume you want to maximize every possession..so..I think we all know 3pts>2pts. That's the biggest element gone that's not coming back..who replaces that part of it?

Reasonable point, guru. We absolutely will miss the Hausers' 3-point shooting. The ability to adequately space the floor -- and actually hit long jumpers -- is probably my biggest concern next season.

Hopefully, several players who want to be Warriors will be able to help in this regard. Koby, Sacar, BB, etc. But they have much to prove, and much respect to earn. If I were the opposing coach, I would hound Markus relentlessly and otherwise pack my defense into the lane until a few Marquette players prove they can hit shots consistently.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #119 on: May 31, 2019, 09:35:19 AM »

You are oversimplifying things. It is true we are losing a great 3-pt shooter. But, he wasn't a threat to drive. 3 point shooting percentages increase on a kick out, and you are more likely to get open looks when you attack the rim. 

So, although the remaining players aren't as good of a shooter as Sam, they are better off the bounce, which should lead to increased 3-pt shooting for everyone.

The net difference may negligible. We'll have to play the games and see.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #120 on: May 31, 2019, 09:44:36 AM »

Other than maybe MSK, I don't think anyone thinks we are better next year without the Hausers than with them. I think everyone is aware of that reality.

I also think there are some who think next year's team will be better than last year's team despite the loss of the Hausers. On paper, we should be. Improvement from all the returning players and the additions of Koby/Greg/Jayce/Dexter/Ike should be better greater than the loss of the Hausers/Joe/Heldt. Question for me is the offensive game plan. The roster we have will not work with what Wojo has been running the past 4 years. Can he run a different offense to highlight the talents of our roster? How that question is answered could be the difference between a 3 seed and a bubble team.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #121 on: May 31, 2019, 09:53:20 AM »
The loss of Joey is not a big deal, they can make up for his 10 points.   
IMO, most people are severely underestimating Joey based on the last 1/3 of the season.  Yes, he was poor defensively, just like most freshmen.  But he had a ton of talent and I expect he will continue to show the same year-to-year improvements as most every other player.   
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #122 on: May 31, 2019, 09:54:42 AM »
Wojo has to realize that the offense got stale at the end of the season.  With the 3 guard or 4 guard system they will be playing next season, they have to open up more avenues to drive and kick the ball out much like Giannis does for the Bucks.   Koby, Howard and Sacar will be on the court alot next year.  Hope they can play team
ball.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #123 on: May 31, 2019, 09:58:32 AM »

Agree. it's laughable to think Sam and Joey are easily replaceable and we have the players to do it. These two young men ended up at top shelf programs. It is going to be very hard to replace them. Maybe some of the guys who have yet to play a minute will excel. I hope so because if they do not this team could easily struggle to .500 in conference.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #124 on: May 31, 2019, 09:58:44 AM »
IMO, most people are severely underestimating Joey based on the last 1/3 of the season.  Yes, he was poor defensively, just like most freshmen.  But he had a ton of talent and I expect he will continue to show the same year-to-year improvements as most every other player.

I am not sold on Joey yet.  Plays below the rim, decent moves not great, will shoot the ball much better in 2 years.  Sort of slow a foot.  Seemed like a mental midget the
last month of the season.  I think he has a lot to work on. 

feedback