[May 15, 2024, 06:12:27 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Hards Alumni
[May 15, 2024, 01:48:36 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Billy Hoyle
[May 15, 2024, 12:47:28 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[May 15, 2024, 09:31:52 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Powell/Economy  (Read 8592 times)

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
Re: Powell/Economy
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2022, 07:24:49 PM »
so, if we go all EV cars, my bet is that we still may have some bad weather, hurricanes, flooding etc. maybe not as much as before EV though ::), has anyone thought about how people are going to be able to drive away from said bad weather?

i mean the mass exodus from the coastal regions being affected by the hurricane for example.  if your car is fully charged, you may get 250-300 miles away, then need to recharge, right?  that's if you aren't spending too much time idling in traffic jams, listening to radio for alerts, and heaven forbid running your A/C-gasp!  next, you have the fact that there will be more cars than charging stations needed for the sudden deluge in need of charges.  then, how long will one be sitting there charging while the storm is bearing down.  oh, that's IF there isn't a POWER OUTAGE due to the storm

just saying, some "things" need to be thought out a little bit before we go all EV

don't...don't don't don't don't

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2022, 07:30:59 PM »
so, if we go all EV cars, my bet is that we still may have some bad weather, hurricanes, flooding etc. maybe not as much as before EV though ::), has anyone thought about how people are going to be able to drive away from said bad weather?

i mean the mass exodus from the coastal regions being affected by the hurricane for example.  if your car is fully charged, you may get 250-300 miles away, then need to recharge, right?  that's if you aren't spending too much time idling in traffic jams, listening to radio for alerts, and heaven forbid running your A/C-gasp!  next, you have the fact that there will be more cars than charging stations needed for the sudden deluge in need of charges.  then, how long will one be sitting there charging while the storm is bearing down.  oh, that's IF there isn't a POWER OUTAGE due to the storm

just saying, some "things" need to be thought out a little bit before we go all EV

9 of 10, truly spectacular
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2022, 07:39:08 PM »
9 of 10, truly spectacular

If you just replace all references to electricity with "gasoline" it is an awesome argument why we should all still be using horse drawn carriages.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2022, 07:39:50 PM »
Stop thinking this is going to happen in the next week.   Over the next decade or so there are going to be huge advancements in charging infrastructure, in battery technology. 
And your hurricane analogy sucks.  What happened in Katrina, in Andrew, to the fossil fuel infrastructure?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2022, 10:41:34 PM »
What happened in Katrina, in Andrew, to the fossil fuel infrastructure?

You apparently missed that everybody escaped those hurricanes, thanks to fossil fuel. Zero deaths. Not even one injury!

Damn media hides the truth again.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU82

• All American
« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2022, 08:00:30 AM »
Oh, thank goodness ... Pizza Rolls have been saved!

From the NYT:

Totino’s frozen pizza rolls — the bite-size snack that became even more popular during the pandemic — have 21 ingredients. Late last year, General Mills, the giant food company that owns Totino’s, started running out of them.

Supply chain delays and rising costs meant individual ingredients were either nearly impossible to find, or prohibitively expensive to procure for a product that retails at $10 for a bag of 100. The result was a pandemic-induced paucity of pizza rolls. By February, Totino’s specialty was a no-show in supermarkets across the country.

The pizza roll conundrum is a microcosm of what has gone on throughout corporate America. It’s also a story that isn’t over. “All of these wrinkles are cascading through the entire food system, and I don’t think anyone is banking on it resolving itself in the next 12 or 18 months,” said Joe Colyn, a partner at JPG Resources, which works with food companies and their supply chains.

General Mills was forced to change how it makes pizza rolls, and ultimately its business model, reports The Times’s Julie Creswell.

The company formed a team of scientists, supply chain managers and procurement experts who met daily to address supply-chain issues.
It developed 25 ways to make the pizza roll, each with slight variations of ingredients.
One solution was to swap cornstarch for tapioca starch, when the latter became harder to find.

It worked. By spring, pizza rolls had returned in plentiful supply.

Industry veterans say the overhaul may stick. Food manufacturers, after years of whittling down suppliers to reduce costs and improve quality control, weren’t ready for the shipping problems, labor shortages and shifting consumer behavior caused by the pandemic. They are now coming up with multiple formulations for key products, alternative suppliers, and storage spaces for must-have ingredients. Climate change means new ways of doing business may be needed long after the pandemic.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2022, 08:15:54 AM »

From the NYT:

Totino’s frozen pizza rolls — the bite-size snack that became even more popular during the pandemic — have 21 ingredients. Late last year, General Mills, the giant food company that owns Totino’s, started running out of them.

Supply chain delays and rising costs meant individual ingredients were either nearly impossible to find, or prohibitively expensive to procure for a product that retails at $10 for a bag of 100. The result was a pandemic-induced paucity of pizza rolls. By February, Totino’s specialty was a no-show in supermarkets across the country.

The pizza roll conundrum is a microcosm of what has gone on throughout corporate America. It’s also a story that isn’t over. “All of these wrinkles are cascading through the entire food system, and I don’t think anyone is banking on it resolving itself in the next 12 or 18 months,” said Joe Colyn, a partner at JPG Resources, which works with food companies and their supply chains.

General Mills was forced to change how it makes pizza rolls, and ultimately its business model, reports The Times’s Julie Creswell.

The company formed a team of scientists, supply chain managers and procurement experts who met daily to address supply-chain issues.
It developed 25 ways to make the pizza roll, each with slight variations of ingredients.
One solution was to swap cornstarch for tapioca starch, when the latter became harder to find.

Industry veterans say the overhaul may stick. Food manufacturers, after years of whittling down suppliers to reduce costs and improve quality control, weren’t ready for the shipping problems, labor shortages and shifting consumer behavior caused by the pandemic. They are now coming up with multiple formulations for key products, alternative suppliers, and storage spaces for must-have ingredients. Climate change means new ways of doing business may be needed long after the pandemic.

Surely, the brainpower it took to bring this product back to life would have been better utilized on a slightly more important problem. Anything else really.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2022, 08:18:47 AM »
Surely, the brainpower it took to bring this product back to life would have been better utilized on a slightly more important problem. Anything else really.

Since discovering the magical combination of pizza rolls in an air fryer, I have to strongly disagree.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2022, 08:33:09 AM »
Stop thinking this is going to happen in the next week.   Over the next decade or so there are going to be huge advancements in charging infrastructure, in battery technology. 
And your hurricane analogy sucks.  What happened in Katrina, in Andrew, to the fossil fuel infrastructure?

I annually attend the Battery / Electric Vehicle show in Novi, MI.  Spent a week in Stuttgart in June at the Euro version of the show.  It's happening and all the car manufacturers are on-board and industry is extremely excited about it especially since the US will be spending a ton on the related charging infrastructure which is really the only hold-back for consumers.

Heck, I just started a dialogue with BMW this morning on an EV related wire product.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2022, 08:41:12 AM »
I annually attend the Battery / Electric Vehicle show in Novi, MI.  Spent a week in Stuttgart in June at the Euro version of the show.  It's happening and all the car manufacturers are on-board and industry is extremely excited about it especially since the US will be spending a ton on the related charging infrastructure which is really the only hold-back for consumers.

Heck, I just started a dialogue with BMW this morning on an EV related wire product.

Interesting.  I’m in the market for a vehicle and have been hesitant on purchasing an EV because of the amount of driving I do.  Sounds like the advances in the next few years might make this a better option

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2022, 08:51:24 AM »
Since discovering the magical combination of pizza rolls in an air fryer, I have to strongly disagree.
An air fryer can make most things into the best version of themselves, but still.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2022, 09:05:45 AM »

From the NYT:

We could have a 🍅 shortage soon.

:(

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2022, 10:28:21 AM »
We could have a 🍅 shortage soon.

:(

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2022, 10:31:09 AM »
roqqet will hate this:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/30/first-solar-to-build-new-panel-factory-following-inflation-reduction-act.html

First Solar announces new U.S. panel factory following the Inflation Reduction Act

First Solar announced Tuesday that it will build a new solar panel manufacturing facility in the U.S. on the heels of the Inflation Reduction Act, which incentivizes domestic manufacturing. The company will invest up to $1 billion in the new factory, which it plans to build in the Southeast of the U.S. The newly announced plant will be the panel maker’s fourth fully integrated U.S. factory.

CEO Mark Widmar pointed to the IRA as the key catalyst that made the company decide to build another factory in the U.S. rather than looking elsewhere. The funding packages create, for the first time, a “long-term view and understanding of the industry, and policies aligned to that industry,” he told CNBC.

“With that level of clarity, we stepped back and evaluated the alternatives or the options of where we could go with our next factory and when we looked at it comprehensively the U.S. was a very attractive option,” he said.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2022, 10:55:47 AM »
roqqet will hate this:

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/08/30/first-solar-to-build-new-panel-factory-following-inflation-reduction-act.html

First Solar announces new U.S. panel factory following the Inflation Reduction Act

First Solar announced Tuesday that it will build a new solar panel manufacturing facility in the U.S. on the heels of the Inflation Reduction Act, which incentivizes domestic manufacturing. The company will invest up to $1 billion in the new factory, which it plans to build in the Southeast of the U.S. The newly announced plant will be the panel maker’s fourth fully integrated U.S. factory.

CEO Mark Widmar pointed to the IRA as the key catalyst that made the company decide to build another factory in the U.S. rather than looking elsewhere. The funding packages create, for the first time, a “long-term view and understanding of the industry, and policies aligned to that industry,” he told CNBC.

“With that level of clarity, we stepped back and evaluated the alternatives or the options of where we could go with our next factory and when we looked at it comprehensively the U.S. was a very attractive option,” he said.

He’d have to understand it before he could hate it.

Or…, never mind.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #90 on: August 31, 2022, 11:06:12 AM »
roqqet will hate this:

I will say, FSLR is unique because they primarily manufactured in the US from the start, in Toledo.  So its not bringing manufacturing back from offshore.

Also, not sure that article is correct.  They manufacture in Toledo, and also in Malaysia and Vietnam, so not sure how its the 4th US factory.  Unless they are counting multiple buildings at the Toledo location.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #91 on: August 31, 2022, 11:49:02 AM »

I don't know where to start here to point out the total lack of knowledge.

But I guess that's to be expected from an aged man driving around Arizona in a Hummer pretending nothing is wrong.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #92 on: August 31, 2022, 12:04:13 PM »
I don't know where to start here to point out the total lack of knowledge.

But I guess that's to be expected from an aged man driving around Arizona in a Hummer pretending nothing is wrong.

Until we can figure out a cost effective and timely way of recycling EV batteries I’m not convinced we aren’t doing more damage to earth with this urgent push towards EVs.  I’m sure there is a way to do it and solution coming down the road but until then, EVs are not exactly earth friendly. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #93 on: August 31, 2022, 12:07:00 PM »
Until we can figure out a cost effective and timely way of recycling EV batteries I’m not convinced we aren’t doing more damage to earth with this urgent push towards EVs.  I’m sure there is a way to do it and solution coming down the road but until then, EVs are not exactly earth friendly.

We will figure it out when it becomes profitable to do so.  Which shouldn't be too long considering we do not have an unlimited supply of REMs.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #94 on: August 31, 2022, 12:33:02 PM »

Urgent push?  They are still very much a luxury item.  Sure...one that's being encouraged, but other than "being good to the earth" I haven't felt any pressure to get one.  And you can still buy a gas guzzling truck and SUV easily (with enough money).  Have at it!

Also, study after study has proven that even with batteries, and energy generation to charge, they're more earth friendly than their petroleum based counterparts.  But there is a point to be made (as hards mentioned) that REMs are kinda the roadblock to mass production and affordability right now.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #95 on: August 31, 2022, 01:03:47 PM »

With the amount of losses you’ve taken the last two years on this board, I’d strongly urge you to change your handle to Washington Generals

tower912

• All American
« Reply #96 on: August 31, 2022, 01:18:02 PM »
Because strip mining coal, fracking, and fellating the Saudi's has been so good for the environment.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #97 on: August 31, 2022, 01:36:06 PM »
Because strip mining coal, fracking, and fellating the Saudi's has been so good for the environment.

Maybe not for the environment but it’s been great for owning your political opponent and harming the world for those that come after

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2022, 01:37:05 PM »
Maybe not for the environment but it’s been great for owning your political opponent and harming the world for those that come after
And making lots and lots of money at the expense of anything else. Can’t forget that.

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2022, 01:45:28 PM »

Have you looked into how/where lithium, cobalt, etc get mined?  The effects that kind of mining has on local ecosystems and the countries we’d have to “fellate” to access it?